WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

F450 Myth busted:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We just lemon Lawed our 5th wheel and I had to stop by our RV dealer to get the refund on the extended warranty. Probably get $500 eventually. That's another thread for later.

We recently ordered another new, different brand 5th wheel and the owner of the RV dealer spotted me and asked me what we're going to tow the new 5th wheel with?
I mentioned we're considering the 2014 F450 when ordering "opens up" in late June. Nothing definite yet. 2014 will see new trucks from all of the big 3.

The guy that owns the RV dealer is a pretty sharp guy,, but then he hit me with: "If you plan to tow it with an F450, you have to lift the RV because the F450 is too tall. The RV suspension is removed and a 4" metal box frame is installed between the suspension and the coach. The last guy we sold this RV to had to do that because he had a new F450."

Wait a minute I thought,,,, no way was I going that route. I'm a bone-stock, plug and play person. I hate radical mods to anything. The farther ya get from stock, the farther ya get from reliable and warranty coverage. The F450 is as close to plug and play as you can get. Comes with the 5th wheel hitch, has the suspension ya need, brake controller, wireing on and on. Yeah,, with the de-fucked 6.7,, the F450 may be the way to roll this time around.

So,, I tracked that customer down that did the metal box frame mod to his 5th wheel. I was determined to bust this latest fairytale.
Of all places on earth, he lives in the shit holes of shit holes,,Venice Beach. I found him,, terrific guy. I think he's the guy that developed the spray-on bedliner. Or at least he developed Da Kine' spray-on bedliner that works.

"You'll be fine stock" he told me. Then added "I did a lift & leveling on the truck +2", and replaced the 18" wheels with 22" +2.5", and much higher profile tires that added another 3 more inches to the height of the F450. On top of that, I extended the RV 6 more feet with a platform on the back to carry more ATV's. I had to box frame the RV chassis for the RV lift, it comes with "flipped from the factory suspension already" and had to shorten the pin hitch. You'll be fine stock" went his story.

So I stopped off at Galphin Ford and measured the bed height on a plain vanilla F450 they had on the lot, then stopped by the RV dealer and measured the pin height with the RV level,, added the hitch height,, and the truck and RV are dead on perfect bone stock.

Life must be good if all I have to worry about is what new tow vehicle to buy and in what color.
Be damned if it'll be black, silver or white. Probably that wild metallic clear-tint coat ruby red. But then again,, all Fords look good in white.

Last edited:

BajaMike

Reaction score
Ross, is that the 5th wheel model you are getting?

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Mike he mentioned in another thread that he was seriously looking at a Heartland product, and the Road Warrior is a one, they make the Cyclone too. I got to walk through a Cyclone with all the bells and whistles at an RV dealer last year and it was very nice.
If I was looking at a new 5'er, they would be high on the list.
Their owners forums are full of people that love their trailers, and like the service they get from the factory.

Ross looking forward to some pics, and the truck report too...

boatluver83

Reaction score
yes looking forward to seeing the f450 and trailer pics!!!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Ross, is that the 5th wheel model you are getting?

Mike he mentioned in another thread that he was seriously looking at a Heartland product, and the Road Warrior is a one, they make the Cyclone too. I got to walk through a Cyclone with all the bells and whistles at an RV dealer last year and it was very nice.
If I was looking at a new 5'er, they would be high on the list.
Their owners forums are full of people that love their trailers, and like the service they get from the factory.

Ross looking forward to some pics, and the truck report too...

yes looking forward to seeing the f450 and trailer pics!!!

Do'nt be cheap check out the units with 5 Slideouts :thumbsup:thumbsup

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-BOAT-DR...ain_0&var=&hash=item2c6a87c5ea#ht_9068wt_1117

ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :champagne :champagne

An engineering team from Heartland was at our RV dealer last week and was asking for input from the service manager and talked to the mechanics too.
They mentioned for 2014 they will be strengthening all the walls, beefing up the heating, more generous use of LED lighting throughout, and a much plusher interior and a plusher garage and lots of other improvements too.
Also, an 18ft garage model just went into production.

In Calif., 5th wheels are NOW measured from the king pin to the middle of the rear axle.
So, a 43' really measures out to be 36 foot.

We'll keep it all posted.
We've been in touch with Dan at Santa Margarita Ford and he seems to really be on the ball with the F450.
Lots of dealers never stock nor sell them.

Might have to bag it,, but they really do come ready to play. You can order it factory with the 5th wheel hitch. Don't think anyone has that option.
A BFD in my book.

Last edited:

Meaney77

Reaction score
An engineering team from Heartland was at our RV dealer last week and was asking for input from the service manager and talked to the mechanics too.
They mentioned for 2014 they will be strengthening all the walls, beefing up the heating, more generous use of LED lighting throughout, and a much plusher interior and a plusher garage and lots of other improvements too.
Also, an 18ft garage model just went into production.

In Calif., 5th wheels are NOW measured from the king pin to the middle of the rear axle.
So, a 43' really measures out to be 36 foot.

We'll keep it all posted.
We've been in touch with Dan at Santa Margarita Ford and he seems to really be on the ball with the F450.
Lots of dealers never stock nor sell them.

Might have to bag it,, but they really do come ready to play. You can order it factory with the 5th wheel hitch. Don't think anyone has that option.
A BFD in my book.

Ross- Just an FYI I know they have a 2013 F450 crew, dully 4x4 in white at Vista Ford in Oxnard. I test drove it. It was the lariat and had all of the bells and whistles including the hitch set up you mentioned.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
With all you've been through, I hope this works out for you this time. :thumbsup

When you going to Oregon again??

JD D05

Reaction score
I drove down to Nordic with a freind of mine who happens to be a Nordic dealer from Utah who owns a Ford dealership. We drove a 450 and i was shocked how well it rode. The only thing i don't like about the 450 is the gear ratio's.

I just bought a 350 and put 22 under it with no lift, i did have to trim some....

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Ross- Just an FYI I know they have a 2013 F450 crew, dully 4x4 in white at Vista Ford in Oxnard. I test drove it. It was the lariat and had all of the bells and whistles including the hitch set up you mentioned.
Heading out to the Rebok outlet store today we'll swing by and take it for a spin. :thumbsup

With all you've been through, I hope this works out for you this time. :thumbsup

When you going to Oregon again??
Next dune trip is Idaho. Napolian Dynomite dunes.

I drove down to Nordic with a freind of mine who happens to be a Nordic dealer from Utah who owns a Ford dealership. We drove a 450 and i was shocked how well it rode. The only thing i don't like about the 450 is the gear ratio's.

I just bought a 350 and put 22 under it with no lift, i did have to trim some....

:thumbsup Ford improved the ride (and the brakes), it's now recommended to bag them for 5'rs.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
For what a new 450 costs, you should consider a used Sport Chassis. My 450 works OK for my 5th, but in hindsight I wish I would have bought a Sport Chassis. My trailer, loaded, is about 18k pounds. FYI Truck 4x4 and bagged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
For what a new 450 costs, you should consider a used Sport Chassis. My 450 works OK for my 5th, but in hindsight I wish I would have bought a Sport Chassis. My trailer, loaded, is about 18k pounds. FYI Truck 4x4 and bagged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A Sports Chassis is still waaay to much money tbh....

All anyone really needs is a Bug :cool:thumbsup

[video=youtube;PGeUSjRMlQ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGeUSjRMlQ4[/video]

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
A Sports Chassis is still waaay to much money tbh....
You can pick up a used Sport Chassis for ~$70k, not much more than a fully optioned F450 is going to run :thumbup:

Smart cars with a 5th wheel dolly are a pretty good alternative, and a little more modern that an old VW :D

smart 5th.jpg

warlock250

Reaction score
towmater led.jpg I have a 2012 F450 King Ranch and its the best all around Tow Vehicle there is. Period.... no need to lift a trailer of any manufacturer. Im in the RV biz and I have Towed every trailer there is and this Truck is the Best. If you want to drive it to the store its fine, good luck doing that with a Sport Chassis. it can be done but it sucks. Dealers I know that have Ford Franchise and Sport Chassis trucks say the Ford is out Selling the Sport Chassis in the Horse world to cause it Pulls like a freight train and runs circles around the Sport Chassis. Go test drive them and You will see.

Last edited:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
View attachment 273020 I have a 2012 F450 King Ranch and its the best all around Tow Vehicle there is. Period.... no need to lift a trailer of any manufacturer. Im in the RV biz and I have Towed every trailer there is and this Truck is the Best. If you want to drive it to the store its fine, good luck doing that with a Sport Chassis. it can be done but it sucks. Dealers I know that have Ford Franchise and Sport Chassis trucks say the Ford is out Selling the Sport Chassis in the Horse world to cause it Pulls like a freight train and runs circles around the Sport Chassis. Go test drive them and You will see.

That's interesting. I have a sport chasis and had a f350. The sport chasis has a tighter turning radius and with our 40' toy box the 350 was a white knuckle ride when wind or having to stop in a hurry. The sport chasis tows like a dream in all areas. Far better than the 350 did. Is the 450 really that different of a truck?

Meaney77

Reaction score
I just recently bought a 2013 F450 and so far love it. I have only pulled my 5th wheel about 1/2 mile from dry storage to peninsula spot at Moabi. I purchased the Reese/Ford hitch that drops into the bed with no fab work required which was a plus. Overall the truck gets good mileage (13 mpg) on the way to the river with no load. I am told it gets better after a few thousand miles. The Sony stereo and navigation is awesome. Overall it rides great, not what I expected out of a F450- this was a big plus so that I didn't rattle my 16 month old daughters brain while driving.

warlock250

Reaction score
That's interesting. I have a sport chasis and had a f350. The sport chasis has a tighter turning radius and with our 40' toy box the 350 was a white knuckle ride when wind or having to stop in a hurry. The sport chasis tows like a dream in all areas. Far better than the 350 did. Is the 450 really that different of a truck?

Yep The F450 has a wide track front axle and Turns on a dime. I can do U turns without stopping and backing up. And if you drive it in the city its easy to park, The F650 Super Cruiser didn't compare either. The Horse People are Buying The F450s like crazy.
I tow My 40' triple slides at 80mph with one finger on the wheel and the thing stops and pulls the big hills at 70mph. I Scaled my 450 and 5th and hit 30600lbs. and it pulls Chiriaco Summit at 70 mph the Whole way Purring like a Kitten, it does not even seem like its working. Just Sayin. Bad Mutha.:cool