WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fading Gelcoat Colors Challenges Due to Sun & Age......Need Advice

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Fellas..... my 2006 deep solid purple colors are really faded on my stern area that faces up to the sun constantly. It looked great up till about 2016. I hired a guy that I spotted power waxing a boat in my marina last year and he charged me $230 to buff out the entire stern area and maybe 5' up from stern towards bow on sides as that area is solid purple too though not faded. After it was done it looked a bit better but a year later its dead again. My question to the gang is.... Can good detailers sand gelcoat deeper and bring the deep purple back as or close to new? I figure you guys in that 150 degree sun have tons of expertise I could use.... THANKS!

Wish I had recent photos... here's a vid from 4 years ago ... its much more faded today.

Attachments

• Hubba Hubba 3.27.16.MOV
    3.1 MB

traquer

Reaction score
There's only one way to find out! I'd take some 2000 grit to an area that's not that noticeable and see what happens when you polish it up. If it comes out nice I'd look into adding a ceramic coat or something if the gel is prone to fading.

Others on here will have more experience I'm just an amateur with paint/gel

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I’d like to hear from some experts as well. I have an old direct drive Ski centurion. Had it wet sanded and looked great for a short time, but nothing lasts no matter how much elbow grease I use.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If you get it wet does it look new? If so you can wet sand and buff it and it will come back.. if it looks blah when it’s wet than you are pretty much screwed

YZFRider

Reaction score
Gel coat does not fade it oxidizes which makes it look faded. Generally you will see this first occur on deck and sponsons where direct sunlight hits. The darker the color the more UV absorption, causing the gel will break down and oxidize. A light color sand, followed up with a buff and polish will correct it. If the boat has been color sanded in the past and there is little gel remaining, your screwed. Will need to be regelcoated.

wzuber

Reaction score
How many time has it been buffed on, color sanded etc? Typically those dark colored deck areas are fairly thick if there solid color and not fades. When sprayed in the mold they can act as a resevoir in essence and accept/hold more gelcoat giving you more material to rub on now. Depending how faded now will determine whether a heavy compound will suffice or a sanding is required. Always start with the least aggressive process. There are some really good quality, aggressive compounds out there. In this hull here I used some very light sanding w/800 and cleaned up with compound. It took most of the deep existing surface scratches out and all the 800 grit out. It shines deep and clear now.
20200730_102636.jpg
20200801_163751.jpg

wzuber

Reaction score
This is a work in progress pic showing the initial shine after buffing w/compound 1st. Pass. The final shine product will be better than this, deeper color and clear, highly defined reflected image. A few more steps and products to achieve that level of correction. ymmv
Note: speaking of previous pic. As shown
20200801_160626.jpg

Despite this low quality pic due to the sun coming from beyond the image it still shows some pretty good detail in the reflected image of the palm tree frawns. This was achieved with just 2 compound processes so far. A couple yet to go to get it where I want.

Last edited:

old rigger

Reaction score
Gel coat does not fade it oxidizes which makes it look faded. Generally you will see this first occur on deck and sponsons where direct sunlight hits. The darker the color the more UV absorption, causing the gel will break down and oxidize. A light color sand, followed up with a buff and polish will correct it. If the boat has been color sanded in the past and there is little gel remaining, your screwed. Will need to be regelcoated.

Of course it fades. Slap a sticker on a deck and remove it 5 years down the road. All the color sanding and buffing will never bring the exposed gel back to the gel that was under that sticker.

YZFRider

Reaction score
Of course it fades. Slap a sticker on a deck and remove it 5 years down the road. All the color sanding and buffing will never bring the exposed gel back to the gel that was under that sticker.
To some degree because of UV. However, color sanding will will get it pretty damn close. I pull stickers off boats all the time and can blend the gel back to where you cant tell there were stickers.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Thanks guys.... Its only been 3 hours and I can see we've got a couple experienced sanders/ buffers on the thread... and I appreciate your feedback and expertise.... lets see what tonight brings. I'm betting there are several professional gelcoat color guys on RDP who live out on that river of yours dealing with sun on gelcoat challenges over the years. We'll each gain from feedback. I know I will.... always appreciated!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
How many time has it been buffed on, color sanded etc? Typically those dark colored deck areas are fairly thick if there solid color and not fades. When sprayed in the mold they can act as a resevoir in essence and accept/hold more gelcoat giving you more material to rub on now. Depending how faded now will determine whether a heavy compound will suffice or a sanding is required. Always start with the least aggressive process. There are some really good quality, aggressive compounds out there. In this hull here I used some very light sanding w/800 and cleaned up with compound. It took most of the deep existing surface scratches out and all the 800 grit out. It shines deep and clear now. View attachment 909715 View attachment 909716
Yeah I paid a guy a year ago to do what he could to bring it back.... not sure frankly what process he used.... it looked better for a while but now back to foggy. A friend says it'll have to be an annual process now.... I'm just looking for others experience... some professional mobile detailers are on here I bet.

Icky

Reaction score
Yeah I paid a guy a year ago to do what he could to bring it back.... not sure frankly what process he used.... it looked better for a while but now back to foggy. A friend says it'll have to be an annual process now.... I'm just looking for others experience... some professional mobile detailers are on here I bet.
I paid someone once as well, but they didn't/ wouldn't wet sand so it didn't last long. Ended up doing myself, multiple wet sanding steps, the 3 steps of 3m perfect it, and wax. Pain the the ass, but it has lasted multiple years with just waxing

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Additionally.... I'm still learning about all the good info on YouTube. Plenty on this subject there I just spotted. Go to 1:40 mark.....

Justsomeguy

Reaction score

wzuber

Reaction score
Additionally.... I'm still learning about all the good info on YouTube. Plenty on this subject there I just spotted. Go to 1:40 mark.....

That 2'x2' section turned nice as shown. I like how he said that a section that size will take abt. 8hrs. Due to all the work involved Then says a pro detailer would charge abt $1k for a 23' boat like that in that cond. That's about 53 l.f. of hull including the transom and the hull deepens at the bow area so more surface area. Just how much does he think a pro detailer makes a day? Apparently he's not well versed in arithmatic. Haha
I can't imagine a detailer being willing to touch that job for $1k, maybe double.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
Fellas..... my 2006 deep solid purple colors are really faded on my stern area that faces up to the sun constantly. It looked great up till about 2016. I hired a guy that I spotted power waxing a boat in my marina last year and he charged me $230 to buff out the entire stern area and maybe 5' up from stern towards bow on sides as that area is solid purple too though not faded. After it was done it looked a bit better but a year later its dead again. My question to the gang is.... Can good detailers sand gelcoat deeper and bring the deep purple back as or close to new? I figure you guys in that 150 degree sun have tons of expertise I could use.... THANKS!

Wish I had recent photos... here's a vid from 4 years ago ... its much more faded today.

In the end there is really no "fixing" faded Gelcoat.

When they took the Lead (Pb) out of gelcoat in the early 1990's is when this became more prevalent

Reactions: DWC

wzuber

Reaction score

When they took the Lead (Pb) out of gelcoat in the early 1990's is when this became more prevalent
Care and Prevention is the key to longevity.....in just about anything I can think of.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
Key word being "Moderate" oxidation.... but what the heck, worth a shot.
Screenshot_20200811-170823_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200811-170831_Gallery.jpg

Same spot, before and after. I used chop top and a microfiber cutting pad followed by burn out with an orange foam pad. Then I ceramic coated for protection. Use a lot of pads and don't be afraid to work the gel coat, its thick it can handle some pressure and won't burn as easy as paint.

Good luck

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Here's a good vid that demonstrates process well to.... maybe make this a Sat project since I only have the stern surface area to work on.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

Mmmm?
It was earlier than the 90s, when I got into this in the late 80s the old Pro’s were already complaining about taking the lead out

Spot

Reaction score
If you get it wet does it look new? If so you can wet sand and buff it and it will come back.. if it looks blah when it’s wet than you are pretty much screwed

This.

Run it by Pedro at Saleen, he will be honest with you. I had a very small area that was similar to your problem. He told me he could sand it, buff it, shine it and I would leave happy. He said after a few trips on the water the fading will return. He said after time the actual color starts to fade away and no amount of buffing and sanding will restore the luster. He is also well versed in Magic's.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

if it came back in a year he didn’t do a good job.. lots of people can make things shiny temporarily.. if you truly wetland in multiple stages and buff in multiple Stages then wax it, should last a long time.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
if it came back in a year he didn’t do a good job.. lots of people can make things shiny temporarily.. if you truly wetland in multiple stages and buff in multiple Stages then wax it, should last a long time.
Yeah I'm tending to agree with you on that diagnosis after watching those vids and reading our RDP guys comments.... think I'll go grab all the products needed and wet sand, compound and buff this weekend.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Yeah I'm tending to agree with you on that diagnosis after watching those vids and reading our RDP guys comments.... think I'll go grab all the products needed and wet sand, compound and buff this weekend.

Di it in stages working up to 2000.. (Depending)) 600, 1000, 1500, 2000.. then buff it in stages as well and really take your time with it..

92 cole

Reaction score
Mmmm?
It was earlier than the 90s, when I got into this in the late 80s the old Pro’s were already complaining about taking the lead out
That's wrong! I have a 1978 cruiser with wood grain on the side and deck. I hooked up with a guy that made my gel-coat and wood grain look like of the show room. He explained to be that all he did was remove all the build-up of waxes and " COMPOUNDS" and brought it all back. Then told me what to and WHAT NOT to use. He is in Lake Elsinore Ca. as am I. This guy knows more about finishes and how to correct and keep the original look than anybody I have ever tried. I am sorry I don't have a before and after picture but I am taking the boat out tomarrow and when I return and wash it up I will take a shot! Just remember this is a 1978 original gel. I will not spray it with armor-all or any of that crap that creates the fade problem. M

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Heard... work the gelcoat... I understand.

mad said above tread lightly.. you aren’t trying to remove layers here.. lol. Don’t sand through the gel or burn it with high speed buffing.. dual action orbital is pretty idiot proof if you are concerned about burning gel as opposed to a rotary.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
Agreed. I didnt mean go to town and remove layers. Nor was I referring to sanding it. As Dave said orbital is what I used. With the orbital you can let compounds work and make passes with more pressure and less concern about burning, in comparison to a car. As far as sanding thats different entirely.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Agreed. I didnt mean go to town and remove layers. Nor was I referring to sanding it. As Dave said orbital is what I used. With the orbital you can let compounds work and make passes with more pressure and less concern about burning, in comparison to a car. As far as sanding thats different entirely.
Ok thanks guys.... I think I've got it after watching a few videos on YouTube. I'm gonna do a small section initially to get my process honed.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
That's wrong! I have a 1978 cruiser with wood grain on the side and deck. I hooked up with a guy that made my gel-coat and wood grain look like of the show room. He explained to be that all he did was remove all the build-up of waxes and " COMPOUNDS" and brought it all back. Then told me what to and WHAT NOT to use. He is in Lake Elsinore Ca. as am I. This guy knows more about finishes and how to correct and keep the original look than anybody I have ever tried. I am sorry I don't have a before and after picture but I am taking the boat out tomarrow and when I return and wash it up I will take a shot! Just remember this is a 1978 original gel. I will not spray it with armor-all or any of that crap that creates the fade problem. M
?
1978 came before the late 80s, didn’t it? 😇

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score

If you are getting color coming up on your wet foam buffing pad it would lead me to think maybe your clear coat is going away.
If it were me I would get in touch with Jeff Glow @ SMOOTH AS GLASS in Riverbank Ca. Tell him what you have going on.
Tell him Hallett Dave says hello.

Duramax

Reaction score
Can you have a autobody shop shoot it with clear? I asked about this on my boat, but we were talking about a gel coat clear, and the shop said in a few years it would yellow? What about an automotive clear?

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
If you are getting color coming up on your wet foam buffing pad it would lead me to think maybe your clear coat is going away.
If it were me I would get in touch with Jeff Glow @ SMOOTH AS GLASS in Riverbank Ca. Tell him what you have going on.
Tell him Hallett Dave says hello.
Thanks Dave. I'll get some pics so I can show him as well. Appreciate that.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score

Bill, after reading all the replies, do yourself a favor and call Jeff Glow. 209-276-7043
Ask anyone who has seen my 1977 Hallett 18'6 mini cruiser (Root Beer Float)
Tell him what you have going on. You have nothing to lose.

Boat & RV Repair Riverbank CA & Stockton CA | Smooth As ...
sagcustom.com

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Bill, after reading all the replies, do yourself a favor and call Jeff Glow. 209-276-7043
Ask anyone who has seen my 1977 Hallett 18'6 mini cruiser (Root Beer Float)
Tell him what you have going on. You have nothing to lose.
Boat & RV Repair Riverbank CA & Stockton CA | Smooth As ...
sagcustom.com
Dave, fyi.... that number might be incorrect for Jeff. So I called the company and spoke in length with Rachel.... she basically told me what has been advised on this thread. I think I'm informed now and ready to get 'er done.

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Dave, fyi.... that number might be incorrect for Jeff. So I called the company and spoke in length with Rachel.... she basically told me what has been advised on this thread. I think I'm informed now and ready to get 'er done.

Good for you Bill. Rachel is the secretary and she is a sweet heart.
Jeff is no bullshit.
Two years ago when my Hallett sank Vessel Assist did some damage to the fiberglass and gellcoat during the recovery process.
No body in SoCal would touch my boat so off it went to Smooth as Glass. As usual It turned out tits.
Nick Baron as well as Bob Teague have seen the work that Jeff has done on the Hallett over a few years.
A lot of metal flake on my boat and it looks exactly like it did when it came from Baron Boats.
Ask Dave at DCB about the bare hull that Jeff bought and built for himself, Orange Gazzem.
Feel free to call me if you need more info.
661-209-9698
Cheers

Tank

Reaction score
What about Ceramic Coating? Seems like that is the best route.

59788752_2350089578368102_1707062716327264256_n.jpg
59792490_2731615200213649_4801892240018374656_n.jpg
59994589_2731615143546988_7915237049894961152_n.jpg
FB_IMG_1553997348622.jpeg
FB_IMG_1553997359360.jpeg
IMG_0658 (1).jpg

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
Mmmm?

I don't know when exactly the vendors started removing the Lead from gelcoat.

I had a early 1990's Checkmate where the gelcoat oxidized and faded really quickly. Yet the 1987 Eliminator I sold recently had 30+ year old gel that just started to show some sun fading and nearly zero oxidation.