WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fake dual exhaust system's

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I've seen quite a few fake factory dual exhaust systems lately on some rather high end newer cars and can't for the life of me figure it out. Its only obvious when your behind them. Is it a LAM thing to the manufacturers or the buyer?

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I’ve noticed it but mainly on mid to low end cars. It’s just an appearance thing. You can tell they are fake cause the inside of the pipe will be black on the real exhaust side and shinny and clean on the other.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Our new hybrid x5 only puts exhaust out of the left hole... Unless you punch it or put it in sport mode then a valve opens for the other side...

Its fucking stupid and creates a shitload of black on one pipe with a spotless other side.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Like the new Camry that comes stock with the GQ body kit. Noticed the 4cyl models have a fake dual. Have to admit nice looking for a camry but still not paying 40-50k

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I've seen quite a few fake factory dual exhaust systems lately on some rather high end newer cars and can't for the life of me figure it out. Its only obvious when your behind them. Is it a LAM thing to the manufacturers or the buyer?

Fake news.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
This is done because customers are idiots.

They want dual exhausts.
Then they ding the carmaker on JD Power (and others like Auto Pacific) new car assessments surveys because the tips keep getting dirty.

Welcome to Auto 101 where they focus-group the shit out of everything so they can try to please everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
They should just put a bunch of tips on the hood so it looks real sporty like open header status/demo derby......

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Dual?
Rookies.

28C4F0F6-58E1-4A10-AA0F-3E4983D5C0C9.jpeg
284DFCD6-C5B7-4BF7-8710-092DA404FDE9.jpeg

Last edited:

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Reason I posted is yesterday going home on the 5N there was a newer BMW 4 series (?) that had this option and it struck me as cheap and obvious as the left was black inside and the right was clean like it was just installed, you could even see the blank off plate about 6" in from the tip. Seems like the foreign automakers (Audi, BMW, Mercedes) are the worst for doing this.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I guess my pickup has fake dual exhaust on it too.
6 cyl., Single to a tee. No mufflers or a cat. Been this way since '84.

Dan'l

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Could be to save money on body sheet metal tooling. Single exhaust for 4 cyl, dual exhaust for 6 cyl on the same body style. Only need one style rear valance and doesn't look lame with nothing in one of the openings. Probably listed n the spec sheet as "Dual Exhaust Tips".

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Reason I posted is yesterday going home on the 5N there was a newer BMW 4 series (?) that had this option and it struck me as cheap and obvious as the left was black inside and the right was clean like it was just installed, you could even see the blank off plate about 6" in from the tip. Seems like the foreign automakers (Audi, BMW, Mercedes) are the worst for doing this.

It just means he never floors the car. The other pipes open up when you actually give the car some gas.

2Driver

Reaction score
Isn’t most marketing geared to the American consumer's sensitive ego and the need to falsely portray status.

LOL why would you name an engine or put fake air intakes on a fender, for the same reason people that don’t off road buy a Rubicon.

D19

Reaction score
I don't know why all the truck mfgs decided to dump the tail pipes straight out the rear bumpers. Do these designers not hook up trailers in 100+ degree weather or do they enjoy breathing in exhaust fumes while hooking up trailers?

They curve the bumpers around the tips so you can't switch it to side or under exit w/o it looking dumb.

Perlmudder

Reaction score

That is not a fake exhaust pipe, there is a valve inside the exhaust pipe that opens in sport and sport+ mode or when you lay into it.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I now know I'm getting Old , used to be the first thing I'd do to my vehicle (exaust mods) now I really dig QUIET (except my boats)

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Personally, I hate even seeing the exhaust pipes on trucks. Hide them out of sight, or at most a 3-4" single tucked tightly under the passenger side rear behind tire

SoCalDave

Reaction score
That is not a fake exhaust pipe, there is a valve inside the exhaust pipe that opens in sport and sport+ mode or when you lay into it.
Well apparently the driver has never "layed into it" as it was nice and shinny on the inside. 😁

Taboma

Reaction score
Well apparently the driver has never "layed into it" as it was nice and shinny on the inside. 😁
Wife's Audi with the supercharged V-6 is a quad pipe, two per side. One on each side normal mode, the other two if you've selected dynamic (sport) mode and throttle it over around 3500 r's, the by-pass opens --- then it rips real nice, she likes it on dynamic. 👍

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
In 1977 I ordered a new El Camino SS, 4speed with dual exhaust. Gloss black with the red and orange decals. They split the single exhaust after it went over the rear axle and ran it out both sides. That didn't last long.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

rrrr

Reaction score
A couple of days ago I saw a Mini with factory duals, had to bust out laughing. Two cylinders per pipe, hell yeah.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
And y’all wonder why I won’t let go of my 20 yo chevy truck.

It has a throttle cable, a lever to move the seat, a knob you turn to work the radio, and a key you insert and turn to start it.

Gaddamned newfangled bullshit automobiles.

#getoffmylawn

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
And y’all wonder why I won’t let go of my 20 yo chevy truck.

It has a throttle cable, a lever to move the seat, a knob you turn to work the radio, and a key you insert and turn to start it.

Gaddamned newfangled bullshit automobiles.

#getoffmylawn

100%

I buy used/CPO these days.

All the “innovation” found in new cars, is just “more crap to break” by the time the car gets to me.

I wish a domestic made a solid truck, and made it for a loooong time like Toyota does, and like they used to.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
They didn’t start it.

Like many things from Japan, the ISF was just an egregious example of taking it too far LOL

Now I’m trying to think of where it started!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Hey hey....I believe your team started all that stuff on the Lexus IS-F.

Aside from the fake ones I actually like the bumper exits. Shove whatever exhaust you want back there, still looks stock and sounds better.. or worse.
Speaking of sounding worse....
What the F are people putting on Chargers and Challengers? Loud does not always equal good......between the horrible rasp and popping on decel, and the pool noodle chin spoiler - I just can't.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
What the F are people putting on Chargers and Challengers? Loud does not always equal good......between the horrible rasp and popping on decel, and the pool noodle chin spoiler - I just can't.

Try asking the question in Ebonics...you’ll find yore answer

hallett21

Reaction score

Last night I was convinced I had a flat because the guy in front of me kept “popping” every time he let off the throttle.

All these guys need to go hear a 911 GT3 scream. That kind of loud exhaust is warranted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

They are just cutting the mufflers off.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
I like my cars to have at least 5 or more exhaust tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
The holy grail of exhaust jobs

IMG_2640.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
The Germans are ridiculous...here’s some comedy for ya, from the fucking factory.

because exhaust pipes get hot and you cant have a random shaped pipe sitting 1/8" away from a plastic bumper. not to mention when you get rear ended the exhaust pipe is tucked away. imagine having to buy a new exhaust for a 2021 vehicle because it got in a little 20mph corner fender bender.

its good enough for a $3 million dollar chiron, its good enough for a ballin on a budget 3series bmw or a honda civic.
2017_bugatti_chiron_exhaust_view_8f2838c765d5e4c8e24cc98c2ec68f1a1b4d09a4.jpg