WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

fall off the bone ribs

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
i got this recipe from one of my mens health magazines. i have tried this and it is absolutely killer.

what you need:
2 racks baby back ribs
2 liter bottle of dr pepper ... i used the cherry dr pepper.:thumbsup
1/4 cup salt
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil ... i used canola
1/2 onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp cider vinegar ... i used apple cider vinegar
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper ... i used a little bit more - eyeballed it

what you do:

1. take the ribs out of the packet and peel the membrane off. place in a foil baking dish and pour the dr. pepper over them. add the salt. save about 1/2-1 cup of the soda to make your own sauce later on. let the ribs soak overnight. i let them soak for about 12 hours.

2. heat the oven to 350 degrees. meanwhile take the ribs out and pat them dry. sprinkle the chili powder over them. place in a glass baking dish with about 1 cup of water. (i didn't pour the water over the ribs, just into the bottom of the baking dish). cover with foil and throw into the oven for 2 hours.

3. when the ribs are almost done in the oven, you're gonna make your own sauce. heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. saute onion and garlic until the onion is soft. add the ketchup, worcestershire, vinegar, cayenne, and the remaining dr. pepper. let it cook until the sauce thickens up.

4. when you take the ribs out of the oven, fire up the BBQ. while the BBQ is heating up, brush some of the sauce on the ribs ... covering both sides. place the ribs on the BBQ away from the heat. cook on the grill for about 10-15 minutes each side, all the while brushing with the sauce. take off the grill and demolish.

these ribs are awesome! ... fall off the bone juicy. try it ... i don't think you'll be dissappointed.

enjoy!

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
i got this recipe from one of my mens health magazines. i have tried this and it is absolutely killer.

what you need:
2 racks baby back ribs
2 liter bottle of dr pepper ... i used the cherry dr pepper.:thumbsup
1/4 cup salt
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil ... i used canola
1/2 onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp cider vinegar ... i used apple cider vinegar
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper ... i used a little bit more - eyeballed it

what you do:

1. take the ribs out of the packet and peel the membrane off. place in a foil baking dish and pour the dr. pepper over them. add the salt. save about 1/2-1 cup of the soda to make your own sauce later on. let the ribs soak overnight. i let them soak for about 12 hours.

2. heat the oven to 350 degrees. meanwhile take the ribs out and pat them dry. sprinkle the chili powder over them. place in a glass baking dish with about 1 cup of water. (i didn't pour the water over the ribs, just into the bottom of the baking dish). cover with foil and throw into the oven for 2 hours.

3. when the ribs are almost done in the oven, you're gonna make your own sauce. heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. saute onion and garlic until the onion is soft. add the ketchup, worcestershire, vinegar, cayenne, and the remaining dr. pepper. let it cook until the sauce thickens up.

4. when you take the ribs out of the oven, fire up the BBQ. while the BBQ is heating up, brush some of the sauce on the ribs ... covering both sides. place the ribs on the BBQ away from the heat. cook on the grill for about 10-15 minutes each side, all the while brushing with the sauce. take off the grill and demolish.

these ribs are awesome! ... fall off the bone juicy. try it ... i don't think you'll be dissappointed.

enjoy!
DANG! this one sounds good too!may have to try this,but after summer.i hate using the oven this time of year.maybe BBQ oven bake delio:D.

beachbum

Reaction score
I did these for Fathers Day 4 racks , when I flipped them over on the grill I had 2 bones go flying off . They are Fall of the bone ribs . Had no left overs for my lunch either .

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
the first time i made these, the homemade BBQ sauce came out great ... the second time, not so great ... not too sure why but the ribs kicked ass nonetheless.

third time i will use a little sweet baby rays spicy BBQ sauce. i dont want to cake it on ... but a nice little coating, so it carmelizes a bit.

these ribs kick ass:thumbsup

Gelcoater

Reaction score
the first time i made these, the homemade BBQ sauce came out great ... the second time, not so great ... not too sure why but the ribs kicked ass nonetheless.

third time i will use a little sweet baby rays spicy BBQ sauce. i dont want to cake it on ... but a nice little coating, so it carmelizes a bit.

these ribs kick ass:thumbsup
Sweet Baby Rays is some good sauce:thumbsup,but i haven't tried the spicy,have to pick some up. the sauce is the boss:D

Hustler

Reaction score
I hate baking ribs but I might give these a try. I'm going to try it on my webber and see how it comes out. What do you guy think about making an aluminum baking dish instead of using a glass one? Also if you want a store bought bbq sauce try the Famous Daves Devil Spit. I all ways mix it with the Sweet and Sassy sauce from Famous Daves. Great flavor with a off the hook kick.;)

dspracing

Reaction score
I hate baking ribs but I might give these a try. I'm going to try it on my webber and see how it comes out. What do you guy think about making an aluminum baking dish instead of using a glass one? Also if you want a store bought bbq sauce try the Famous Daves Devil Spit. I all ways mix it with the Sweet and Sassy sauce from Famous Daves. Great flavor with a off the hook kick.;)

I made them today and they came out awesome :thumbsup I used an aluminum baking dish, worked great. No problems making the sauce either. It actually tasted a lot better than the sweet baby rays honey chipotle that I put on the other rack.

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
So I made these yesterday, Not sure if I am a fan of the sauce or not. I did 2 racks this way, and then a rack that was already marinated in a different sauce from the meat market. Cooked them all the same way, in aluminum pans.
The ribs soaked in the Dr. Pepper were definetly more moist and tender than the others. I think next time I'll try a sauce that I make for beef ribs and try that. Definetly like this cooking method!

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
So I made these yesterday, Not sure if I am a fan of the sauce or not. I did 2 racks this way, and then a rack that was already marinated in a different sauce from the meat market. Cooked them all the same way, in aluminum pans.
The ribs soaked in the Dr. Pepper were definetly more moist and tender than the others. I think next time I'll try a sauce that I make for beef ribs and try that. Definetly like this cooking method!

i made some about 2 weeks ago ... i didn't use the homemade BBQ sauce. i used sweet baby rays spicy chipotle BBQ sauce and they came out much better.

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
i made some about 2 weeks ago ... i didn't use the homemade BBQ sauce. i used sweet baby rays spicy chipotle BBQ sauce and they came out much better.

Thanks! we were talking about trying something like that as well. BTW, thanks for posting the original recipe and starting this thread!

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
Thanks! we were talking about trying something like that as well. BTW, thanks for posting the original recipe and starting this thread!

no problem ... i'm glad you liked them ... one thing that i was thinking about trying next is spreading BBQ sauce on top, then adding a little honey.

i wonder how that'll turn out :hmm

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Sounds yummy and am going to have to try them out real soon.

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
no problem ... i'm glad you liked them ... one thing that i was thinking about trying next is spreading BBQ sauce on top, then adding a little honey.

i wonder how that'll turn out :hmm

Check out my sauce for texas beef ribs I posted. gonna try that sauce on some baby backs really soon!

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Made these tonight... Eating them now.... They are SO good I had to wipe off my fingers and post about them. Delish! So tender....Thanks for the awesome recipe!:champagne: Didn't do the sauce-- just used a Trader Joes Kansas City sauce that is pretty tasty.

erb

Reaction score
going to try it this weekend

sorry for the double post. I tried to edit my poor spelling

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Great recipe, thanks - Baby Backs and BBQ sauce each turned out excellent. Going to next try a version of this on a slow cooked Pork Roast.

sand dawg

Reaction score
tried the ribs this week. awesome!! used Sticky Fingers Memphis Original sauce though. just added a little water to it to thin it out while brushing on while cooking. don't get much better than that. thanks for the recipe.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
i making some today ... they are in the oven right now ... gonna try something different ... we'll see how they turn out.:thumbsup

Gelcoater

Reaction score
i making some today ... they are in the oven right now ... gonna try something different ... we'll see how they turn out.:thumbsup
So?Howd they turn out? And what did you do different?

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
So?Howd they turn out? And what did you do different?

they came out really good ... after i took them out of the oven and got the BBQ warmed up, i drizzled some honey on top so it would create a type of crust ... i also made some homemade BBQ sauce.

the BBQ sauce was pretty good, but i think the ratio of dry ingredients compared to wet ingredients was too high. it had some spice to it though.

Tite Squeeze

Reaction score
that does sound bomb. i usually smoke my ribs or slow cook them

i do a rub with

apple cidar vinegar
brown sugar
tonys creole
kirkland mesquite
lawrys season salt
old bay

i put all the dry stuff in a measuring cup and then pour in as much apple cidar vingar that i need to make it into a paste and then i lather it all over the ribs. then i cover the ribs in peppered bacon "from stator bros" and wrap them up good with aluminum foil after i make a halfway waterproof bottom out of the foil i usually add some dr pepper or i have even used mountain dew i dont add alot just a lil to keep it moist in there and then i cover the top with foil and put it on my smoker that i just set up for indirect heat. not so much as a smoker and i cook them for about 4-5 hrs..and o yah presto...i usually unwrap them and throw them on my grill grill for about 10-15 with sweet baby rays "Original bbq" sauce that i modify by heating it on the stove and adding some brown sugar to it to make it just right.

this is my own recipe so i dont have exact measurements but i can tell you this much its alot of brown sugar and then just a small amount of the other seasonings i would say like a tablespoon or 2 of each

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Made these tonight... Eating them now.... They are SO good I had to wipe off my fingers and post about them. Delish! So tender....Thanks for the awesome recipe!:champagne: Didn't do the sauce-- just used a Trader Joes Kansas City sauce that is pretty tasty.

wipe ? WHAT THE HELL " LICK " then post:D I will be starting some in the next min or 2 ( haven't have enough beer yet ) :party2::party2:

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Kick ass ribs!!! I added 1/2 cup Jim Beam to the water when I baked them and didn't do the sauce as not many in my house like sauce. I just picked up some sweet Baby Ray's Spicy for myself.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
Bumping this up.

Been a while since I made some of these ribs ... but I'm gonna make them today along with Lobster tails.

braindead

Reaction score
These turned out great, even tho my oven is on the fritz and cooked them at too high a temp, and the cherry Dr Pepper added a great flavor. Marinated them for about 18 hrs

Next time I'm gonna cover them with plastic and then foil to help keep the moisture in when in the oven.

If you haven't made these yet u need to!!

Thanks HH

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
You can do this same thing with canned pineapple and canned jalopenos with the juice and cover the ribs, they come out BOMB.