WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Farm Notes

Wedgy

Reaction score
The ACA Individual mandate really pissed me off, even though I was not affected. Taking over 1/5 of the U.S. economy, while violating the Commerce clause of the Constitution. Struck down. Unconstitutional.
As did the WOTUS ruling. Pissed... Insane stuff. Brought to you by the truly Evil.

The list is long. "No more Bullshit!"
I plan on voting accordingly.

Wedgy

Reaction score
This has been the driest year of the growing season I have experienced here so far, by far in 7 years.

Early estimates on the dry farm cotton crop on the South Plains have come in.

75% abandonment...

Last edited:

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
I don't farm but I listen to rural radio on Sirius all the time, farming and ranching is pretty interesting. They were talking about some of the soy bean guys needing rain soon too.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Even some of the irrigated farms are on their second or third alternate crops. Milo is a big go to crop. We have to have a warm enough soil temp to germinate cotton seed. Then adequate soil moisture. Pivots alone can't keep up. Lots of farms here have underground strip irrigation, which I believe is more efficient. But rain makes the difference.

I had a Union career I enjoyed, but I also am interested in farming. I really enjoyed Tile Contracting, and my Customers, but think I would have enjoyed the satisfaction, and effort that goes into producing a crop.

Singleton

Reaction score
My in-laws ran the family farm for years.
the debt they took on every year in hopes of turning a small profit was insane.
My wife and I were asked if we would move home and continue the farm, we said no.
best family decision they made was selling it.
they now have a small ranch they call home and the grandkid spend the summer working that

Wedgy

Reaction score
You make a good point.. it is a roller coaster.

I have no idea how my family survived for so long on a dry farm, though the Great Depression. Dad joined the Marines after Pearl Harbor, so my Uncle Buck farmed it until his eyes failed him. Well into the '80s None of my Cousins carried on with Farming. Many Farmers I've met here have another job as well.
Personally I'd like to get paid for fishing!

Wedgy

Reaction score
The Cotton harvest is underway, with the U.S. harvest currently at 10%
The inclement weather associated with the recent hurricane in the Gulf, and other strong weather systems has delayed the harvest, making access difficult into fields in the affected States.

There are bright spots, in the far Southern regions of the South Plains. With some recently introduced cotton varieties, which have had strong emergence, and showing good resistance to the dry weather, in both irrigated, and dry land fields.

The American Farmers are the Force that Nature reckons with..

Wedgy

Reaction score
So. The subject of Ethanol came up and I had just learned something new, Boat related.

I had found a chain of Gas stations in Lubbock that sell ethanol free gasoline. So I was going to fill up. Previously I had only used that fuel once, from Katherine's Landing.

I learned that fuel with ethanol will absorb condensation. In ethanol free fuel, water will stay separated. Hmm.

So I chose to fill up with regular pump gas here. Tank is still pretty full after one outing. I keep it pretty full during Winter so less condensation will form, use a fuel stabilizer every year too. Damn.

Glad we had this conversation. I still hafta do that!!

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Cheeseland is littered with a regional gas station/convenience store chain called Kwik Trip. One of the best business models I have ever seen, and it shows. Fantastic little store you can get gas at, really. They sell a lot of gas with up to 15% ethanol added, as well as E85.

I have run a fair amount of E15 in vehicles, as well as tried E85 enough to know the issues. I have personally found very little issues in fuel economy running anything up to 15%, but E85 cuts fuel economy by roughly 22%. When you see it at a financial discount to regular and mid grades, you gotta pay attention.

Wedgy

Reaction score
GM TDF, Inmates,

That is another interesting perspective in the Ethanol debate. I do have one E85 rated vehicle, my 2014 Mexican Dodge RC SB, 3.6 V6. I have not run across any E85 here yet, so that is good Information.

I have a fleet of 3 Vans. 2, 1 tons, A '90 Chevy 454 Ext, A 1994 Dodge Class B Xplorer MH, B350, 360 Smallblock, and my Dogvan runaround town B250 with a 318. All Fuel injected. The only carbed unit is the boat, with a little Chevy 4.3 V6. All run fine on 87 octane regular gas. I believe 10% ethanol. $1.65 a gallon currently, and I like it. $4.00 a gallon in SoCal was a budget bender.

Around here it is diesel truck country. Farm trucks,, Big Rigs, Farm equipment. Contractors pulling a lot of trailers. You see a lot of Shortbed pickups too. Newer and vintage. Pretty cool. I like SB trucks. And Vans! Lol. I am NOT A hoarder!!

I did have a slight dust up with the city 🤧. My Sheriff neighbors Kid Sisters truck died. I didn't care it was parked in front of the house,, Seems like someone did. Code enforcement tagged it, plus 2 of my vans. Good Grief. Turns out a Clerk lives up the street. She shit when I told her, "Honey, thats not my truck, call Sheriff Issac!" 😆 🤣 😂 I had met the CE gal before,, got it squared away with no worries. But it was pretty funny. "We've got to do something about all those Vans..."

The funniest part was when the Lead Inspector, Hard Ass, was listening in on the conversation. I left. He was still inside.. i Drove straight home. And busted Him when I pulled up to the house and he had beat me there to snoop out the situation. I was laughing when I pulled up, and he just scowled and drove away. Small Town, Good Times!!

Wedgy

Reaction score
From a RDP Inmate on another thread..
This is what the Heartland is all about.. Proud to be an American.
Farm On!