WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Farm Notes

Wedgy

Reaction score
The ACA Individual mandate really pissed me off, even though I was not affected. Taking over 1/5 of the U.S. economy, while violating the Commerce clause of the Constitution. Struck down. Unconstitutional.
As did the WOTUS ruling. Pissed... Insane stuff. Brought to you by the truly Evil.

The list is long. "No more Bullshit!"
I plan on voting accordingly.

Wedgy

Reaction score
This has been the driest year of the growing season I have experienced here so far, by far in 7 years.

Early estimates on the dry farm cotton crop on the South Plains have come in.

75% abandonment...

Last edited:

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
I don't farm but I listen to rural radio on Sirius all the time, farming and ranching is pretty interesting. They were talking about some of the soy bean guys needing rain soon too.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Even some of the irrigated farms are on their second or third alternate crops. Milo is a big go to crop. We have to have a warm enough soil temp to germinate cotton seed. Then adequate soil moisture. Pivots alone can't keep up. Lots of farms here have underground strip irrigation, which I believe is more efficient. But rain makes the difference.

I had a Union career I enjoyed, but I also am interested in farming. I really enjoyed Tile Contracting, and my Customers, but think I would have enjoyed the satisfaction, and effort that goes into producing a crop.

Singleton

Reaction score
My in-laws ran the family farm for years.
the debt they took on every year in hopes of turning a small profit was insane.
My wife and I were asked if we would move home and continue the farm, we said no.
best family decision they made was selling it.
they now have a small ranch they call home and the grandkid spend the summer working that

Wedgy

Reaction score
You make a good point.. it is a roller coaster.

I have no idea how my family survived for so long on a dry farm, though the Great Depression. Dad joined the Marines after Pearl Harbor, so my Uncle Buck farmed it until his eyes failed him. Well into the '80s None of my Cousins carried on with Farming. Many Farmers I've met here have another job as well.
Personally I'd like to get paid for fishing!

Wedgy

Reaction score
The Cotton harvest is underway, with the U.S. harvest currently at 10%
The inclement weather associated with the recent hurricane in the Gulf, and other strong weather systems has delayed the harvest, making access difficult into fields in the affected States.

There are bright spots, in the far Southern regions of the South Plains. With some recently introduced cotton varieties, which have had strong emergence, and showing good resistance to the dry weather, in both irrigated, and dry land fields.

The American Farmers are the Force that Nature reckons with..