WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fast Guys - Slow Bikes

Halvecto

Reaction score
If you are like me and you did or still own an XR400 or XR600, there is just something about those old pigs that is likeable. Heavy, wide, like to go straight. Usually inferior in tech, suspension, etc. but never in torque and fun. Those engines just run and run and run. I found myself skimming the net for XR stuff. I wish I hadn't sold my 400 a few years back. The first clutch motorcycle I rode as a kid was an XR75, I saved for a long time to purchase an '85 XR250r. Don't know why, but never wanted a moto-x bike. When I was a teen, Scott Summers Team Honda was the Hare Scrambles rider I would read about in wonder, even though I only saw him ride once.

14757_scott_summers_lift.jpg

It must be an XR thing. My buddies that are on new CRF-X or KTM, Huskys, etc. think it's crazy. They're probably right.

Fast Guys - Slow Bikes YouTube

Came across this guy's YouTube channel. Racing a '96 XR600 against more modern bikes and winning both GNs, scrambles and even motocross will bring a smile. Gotta love the the low RPM chug of the XR train taking it to 'em. Read some of the comments, it will make you laugh.

If you're an old school air-cooled fourstroke guy, you'll appreciate the skills and chuckle as he basically races in only 2nd & 3rd gear.

Last edited:

pixrthis

Reaction score
I have a couple friends who surprised me on XR 400’s so I know they’re capable of more than expected. I also still have my original 77 XR 75 but have to admit that riding my friends RM 80 back then was way more fun.

HotRod82

Reaction score
If you are like me and you did or still own an XR400 or XR600, there is just something about those old pigs that is likeable. Heavy, wide, like to go straight. Usually inferior in tech, suspension, etc. but never in torque and fun. Those engines just run and run and run. I found myself skimming the net for XR stuff. I wish I hadn't sold my 400 a few years back. The first clutch motorcycle I rode as a kid was an XR75, I saved for a long time to purchase an '85 XR250r. Don't know why, but never wanted a moto-x bike. When I was a teen, Scott Summers Team Honda was the Hare Scrambles rider I would read about in wonder, even though I only saw him ride once.

View attachment 946508

It must be an XR thing. My buddies that are on new CRF-X or KTM, Huskys, etc. think it's crazy. They're probably right.

Fast Guys - Slow Bikes YouTube

Came across this guy's YouTube channel. Racing a '96 XR600 against more modern bikes and winning both GNs, scrambles and even motocross will bring a smile. Gotta love the the low RPM chug of the XR train taking it to 'em. Read some of the comments, it will make you laugh.

If you're an old school air-cooled fourstroke guy, you'll appreciate the skills and chuckle as he basically races in only 2nd & 3rd gear.

I pre-ran baja on an Xr600 for several years racking up thousands of miles, doing nothing but routine maintenance and never having any sort of mechanical failure. Without question the most fun I've had in all my years of riding. The last time I raced at Mammoth, Summers was there hucking the big double on his 600....it was insane. I wish I had my old Xr75, it's about the speed I ride now.

DLC

Reaction score
I had an XR 600 for years it just rocked Baja or even Ocotillo wells, later on I got a XR 650 and that was also a great bike. They just kept going and going!
for a bigger guy they worked really well. I wish I had gotten one Ca plated.

they are like a tractor and just keep pulling, on a dry lake bed hauling ass they are so comfortable

Last edited:

Jimmyv

Reaction score
I loved my XR400, rode it for years, Like riding a tractor!
It was plated but with virtually no DOT accessories and I rode it to my collage campus where I parked and ‘secured’ it by pulling off the spark plug wire and hoped it’d be there when I walked back out :)

I replaced the carb with an XR’s only flat slide pumper and that thing really woke up!

But like everyone, I went down the KTM path and am very happy to have the suspension and ergonomics of a real dirtbike with a factory California plate.

Have the wife on a really nice 2002 Crf230f though, also with a CA plate and full suspension. Impressive air cooled thumper with the right parts on it.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
My brother has a plated XR with a 680 stroker. Beast
Friend of mine used to pit Baja for Honda. He has an XR. When CRF first came to Baja he asked what the real difference was. They said at the end of the 1000 you just leave the CRFs there. The X-R you ride back and then to work next week lol.😂

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I had early 80s xr250 and xr500 that did nothing but run and pump my forearms into solid rocks, lol. They were a lot of heft to handle on motocross tracks but it certainly helped hone my skills. Rode them both at Carlsbad raceway.

Wedgy

Reaction score
I had early 80s xr250 and xr500 that did nothing but run and pump my forearms into solid rocks, lol. They were a lot of heft to handle on motocross tracks but it certainly helped hone my skills. Rode them both at Carlsbad raceway.
Carlsbad Raceway. Man, those were the days. No moto X, except WWOS, along with the Elsinore GP.

All my time at Carlsbad was on the dragstrip crewing for my BIL Gordon Grimes on his Chevy Econorail. 283/PG. The motor came out of my '65 Impala. Bought that car for $250 from Mike Musia's garage. Replaced the 283 with a 250 out of a wrecked '67 Malibu Convertable. Shame. That was a nice car, yellow and black. Impala was White with blue interior. Both 2 doors. Best car was my first one, '61 Oldsmobile Super 88. 394 4 door, voted best HS car ever. White w blue interior.

Except for Fred's '65 327 Chevy Van.
Voted Best Concert Cruiser ever.
Those memories are hazy, except for Fred's, "Hey!! Don't piss on my headers!!"

The end of an Era when Carlsbad Raceeway closed and was sold. Orange County International too.
Ride On 'Mates

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Carlsbad Raceway. Man, those were the days. No moto X, except WWOS, along with the Elsinore GP.

All my time at Carlsbad was on the dragstrip crewing for my BIL Gordon Grimes on his Chevy Econorail. 283/PG. The motor came out of my '65 Impala. Bought that car for $250 from Mike Musia's garage. Replaced the 283 with a 250 out of a wrecked '67 Malibu Convertable. Shame. That was a nice car, yellow and black. Impala was White with blue interior. Both 2 doors. Best car was my first one, '61 Oldsmobile Super 88. 394 4 door, voted best HS car ever. White w blue interior.

Except for Fred's '65 327 Chevy Van.
Voted Best Concert Cruiser ever.
Those memories are hazy, except for Fred's, "Hey!! Don't piss on my headers!!"

The end of an Era when Carlsbad Raceeway closed and was sold. Orange County International too.
Ride On 'Mates
Having the USGP of MX in our backyard was special, tons of memories.
Friday and Saturday nights the drags were easily audible from my parents home. Once we had our cars we'd go race in our 4 bangers too. Don't remember how much it cost but it was cheap. I even participated in a Solo 1 road race they did there in 83, my son was just a few months old at the time.
Yup, the good ol' days.....sigh😌

Wedgy

Reaction score
Ha! The Halcyon Days, hearing the roar of CBad Raceway on the wind.

I remember a few of the guys would race their daily drivers there too.
One Kid had a beat up old SBC C10 Iike "Farm Truck." He did pretty good, friends with my BIL, and friends. Those guys could build SBC's in their sleep. We all worked on the side for my FIL at Precision Engine, Escondido. My 2nd job, 4 to 9. Long days.
They could pull a SBC out of a car in under 10 minutes.