WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fat guy needs a trainer Ski

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
5'10, 200lbs of pure fluffyness:D I want to learn to ski. Did it once for a weekend along time ago. Have sense wakeboarded a bunch but haven't touched either over the last 6 years up unitl recently.

Tried to get up on a single ski a couple weekends ago and learned what it feels like to be an anchor drug behind a boat. I guess the ski I was on was not really meant for beginners... at least that's what they told me:D.

What would you suggest?

skiracer321

Reaction score
5'10, 200lbs of pure fluffyness:D I want to learn to ski. Did it once for a weekend along time ago. Have sense wakeboarded a bunch but haven't touched either over the last 6 years up unitl recently.

Tried to get up on a single ski a couple weekends ago and learned what it feels like to be an anchor drug behind a boat. I guess the ski I was on was not really meant for beginners... at least that's what they told me:D.

What would you suggest?

Maha 360, great ski for begginers and experts!

GS - 321

D

Deleted Account

You can get up on a Big Easy, but you gotta watch the turning part, Ha!

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
All right, to the Maha 360 or the Big Easy:thumbsup

What the deal with turning on the Big Easy?

And is there anything specific to look out for when buying these ski's used other than the obivous beat the crap used item issues that go along with just about all used things:D

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
Yep get on a bigger board is the only way or just shear strength holding the rope.

Your other option that is easy is to kick one off. Get up on a pair of doubles and kick the back foot ski off and have someone retrieve it.

Iv'e had to do that with a couple of people until they figured out how to get themselves up out of the water.

D

Deleted Account

My in-laws are all rather, large so to say and they use a BE. The problem with it is the ski has so huge a front area you really need to lean hard into the turn or the fin pops out pretty quick like. See if you can find a shop to let you demo some skis. Does Sport Chalet still do that?

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
6' 245, Big Easy for me! almost looks like a long wake board with the boots turned wrong. My FIL loves it too- he's maybe 180-200 and pops up like nothing- he'll ski that thing from the dam to Bluewater!

RodnJen

Reaction score
If you want something that performs well when you are up, the Comp Freeride Series from HO or the O'brien Sequence are both good options.

I am actually looking at the HO Triumph as well for a little more performance.

The Maha 360 is great but there are more cost effective options that are a little more available.

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score

Attachments

• e09747e393a637aa342f691d91613505.jpg
    e09747e393a637aa342f691d91613505.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 538

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have got a big daddy.. The maja 360 deal isn't gonna happen for larger guys that don't know how to ski... Loo

lebel409

Reaction score
The "wide body" skiis or a wake jumper would be the way to go...

SBjet

El Presidente for Life
Reaction score
The fatter skis are easier to get up on, and you can ski longer. They are fine for a beginner or any recreational skier. They don't turn as fast as they bounce a little more over chop. When you advance, you can try something else. I have the HO magnum.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Cool, thanks fellas. I'll be on the look out for a good deal on one of those ski's and probably try to find a place I can rent or borrow one. Should be interesting. Now I just gotta convince the wife to tow me around the lake.:thumbsup

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
Im 6' 210lbs. I have very limited skiing experience. I went down to Endos in LB. They recommended the O'brien Sequence in a 69" for me. It works really well. The front is wide enough to get up, then it tapers back so that it will turn. You wont carve the big spray turns, but it is responsive.

sent from a van at the waters edge.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Any good suggestions for a Water Ski shops or Equipment in the I.E.?

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
Cool, thanks fellas. I'll be on the look out for a good deal on one of those ski's and probably try to find a place I can rent or borrow one. Should be interesting. Now I just gotta convince the wife to tow me around the lake.:thumbsup

If you want to try mine, I will be in Parker the weekend of the 18th, or Havasu Sept 8th. Or if you want to ski in SoCal, we can set something up too.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
If you want to try mine, I will be in Parker the weekend of the 18th, or Havasu Sept 8th. Or if you want to ski in SoCal, we can set something up too.

Might take you up on that. I'll keep you posted.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
picture.php
Taperflex jumper. 70". I used to tear it up on that,
6'1" - 250 Pretty stable into the 70s.:party2:

lebel409

Reaction score
If you want to borrow my Connoly wake special let me know

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
* 200 lbs. is not that much
* Are you getting close ?
* Have you tried sitting off an edge of a dock or raft to get started

Like others have said you could go with the drop a ski method. Another thing I have seen people do on deep water starts is start with the back foot out of the boot and drag it like you were going on two until you get up. They did not have the wide wake board skis when I learned to ski but it sounds like if you picked one up it would be easy to sell once you graduated to a slalom ski.

:thumbsup have fun and good luck

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Heck Tom there was a ski in the shed @T/B that would have worked just rite

Now yah tell me:D By the way, I got the impression you might have a little experience in the water ski world. I got lunch, the boat, and all the gas if you ever want to drag me around the lake for a bit.

5 10 200 aint fat.Spesh by RDP standards.Jus sayin.

Ok ok, maybe not fat, but fluffy for sure:thumbsup I figure give me a fat guy ski to start and then move up. Kind of the work smart not hard theory.

* 200 lbs. is not that much
* Are you getting close ?
* Have you tried sitting off an edge of a dock or raft to get started

Like others have said you could go with the drop a ski method. Another thing I have seen people do on deep water starts is start with the back foot out of the boot and drag it like you were going on two until you get up. They did not have the wide wake board skis when I learned to ski but it sounds like if you picked one up it would be easy to sell once you graduated to a slalom ski.

Close on a couple tries meaning I could feel myself lifting a bit then right back down into the deep:D I think part of the problem is they didn't have a big enough life jacket on the boat. We had my B.I.L's who weighs the same but is tall and real lean. I went to put on his jacket and was short about 4"'s from getting it to zip up so i barely got it buckled. I could feel the jacket dragging like and parachute while I held on like a bum to an ice cold 40oz beer:D

RodnJen

Reaction score
. Another thing I have seen people do on deep water starts is start with the back foot out of the boot and drag it like you were going on two until you get up. They did not have the wide wake board skis when I learned to ski but it sounds like if you picked one up it would be easy to sell once you graduated to a slalom ski.

I still prefer this method. I can get up with both feet in but I find it much easier with one in and dragging the other. My 66" 360 has high-wraps and I struggle with it at times. Any other ski with the toe-plate, I pop right up on and have a great time.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
If you want to borrow my Connoly wake special let me know

Might take you up on this. I'll PM you before I go out the next time. I'm in the Riverside area, not sure where you are.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
So, some of you know I recently got my hands on a Big Daddy Connely ski.
More info on that is this thread: http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79204 :D

Took it out last weekend and this morning and pretty much have it down. I know there are limitations to what you "Should" do with it in regards to speed, agressive turns, etc, so I'm looking to go to the next step. Besides, that beast takes up my entire ski locker.

So here is the question:

If considering the "Big Daddy" to be and entry level ski for fat fluffy guys like me what is the next level in difficulty or exerience of a ski? I don't feel like dropping cash on a bunch of ski's to figure out what works best.

P.S. I already know most around here seem to favor the Maha 360's, just wandering if there are any other good quality options or if there really is a big difference in how ski's handle.

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
So, some of you know I recently got my hands on a Big Daddy Connely ski.
More info on that is this thread: http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79204 :D

Took it out last weekend and this morning and pretty much have it down. I know there are limitations to what you "Should" do with it in regards to speed, agressive turns, etc, so I'm looking to go to the next step. Besides, that beast takes up my entire ski locker.

So here is the question:

If considering the "Big Daddy" to be and entry level ski for fat fluffy guys like me what is the next level in difficulty or exerience of a ski? I don't feel like dropping cash on a bunch of ski's to figure out what works best.

P.S. I already know most around here seem to favor the Maha 360's, just wandering if there are any other good quality options or if there really is a big difference in how ski's handle.

I dont know what area you live in but find a place that rents water skis and give the one's you like a try. In the old days you could rent various skis and they would apply the rent cost to a new water ski. Endo's Water Skis in Long Beach used to do this but I am not sure today.

akablaze

Reaction score
If you want something that performs well when you are up, the Comp Freeride Series from HO or the O'brien Sequence are both good options.

I am actually looking at the HO Triumph as well for a little more performance.

The Maha 360 is great but there are more cost effective options that are a little more available.

The Comp Freeride has been killing it! Green House Marine in Norco has a demo program and alot of ski in the shop- HO, Connelly and Radar...

Maybe try the Big DADDy from Connelly if you just want a get up easy ski ...

RodnJen

Reaction score
The Comp Freeride has been killing it! Green House Marine in Norco has a demo program and alot of ski in the shop- HO, Connelly and Radar...

Maybe try the Big DADDy from Connelly if you just want a get up easy ski ...

Are with with them? If so, do you know if they have a 69" Triumph or Freeride? I have seversl skiis, including a Maha 360, but I'm looking for a modern piece to add to the collection. You can PM me if you want.

Slink

Tennessee Living
Reaction score
T&Y.... I'm 6'04 215. I hadn't skied in nearly 7/8yrs (busy towing everyone else). Tore my ACL last fall and as I was rehabing the knee...I told myself I might as well get back into skiing shape. Worked off a few extra LBS (was 260) and promised myself when I hit 220lbs I was going to buy a ski again. Well I hit the mark in June and researched the latest/greatest and affordable. I ended up with a Connelly outlaw 69 from Green House in Norco for a fair price. Bought the ski on Thursday night and was on the southend of Havasu the next morning, nice and early for glass............. low and behold, got up the first pull. Good balance on the ski and am able to do some "semi" agressive turns. It should suit me fine for a while since I don't want to get to aggressive and screw my knee up again. Sounds like it might be what you're looking for. Good luck

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Blast from the past.. lol. Been having a good time on the Big Daddy. Eventually when I want a bit more of a challenge I'll step up to another ski. Thanks for all the offers though:thumbup:

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Aloha in Elsinore might rent, not sure anymore. Mike Murphy used to have a shop next to Eliminator but I think it closed. Regardless be sure to ride some HO's. I am 6'6" and about 280. My HO Magnum does everything well. Plus the boots slide off in 2seconds and so someone with bigger or smaller feet can use it to. My 180 barely able to single ski wife pops up so fast her hair doesn't get wet.