WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fatal Accident on the 95 North of Havasu and South of the 40!

Patyacht

Reaction score
Road to be closed for hours so don't go North out of Havasu!

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Were coming to Havasu from California. Is it closed on the 95 both north and south?? Should be there around noon today.
Omg. Really? You know its a 2 lane road right?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Were coming to Havasu from California. Is it closed on the 95 both north and south?? Should be there around noon today.
Buddy just posted that they are stopped, not moving and heading into Havasu from Cali.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
All lanes were closed. I was there when they were landing the helicopter. Probably be a couple of hours before they have it cleared, maybe sooner to have one lane open. I turned around and went back home after trying to get to work .

jones performance

Reaction score
a buddy of mine his stepbrother was involved, life flight to vegas with broken legs and other injuries, expected to recover. read on social media traffic into havasu was backed up all the way to the 40.

jones performance

Reaction score
destroyed.jpg
destroyed2.jpg

DLC

Reaction score
Jesus that ranger is crumpled up really good! I don’t think you can get tin foyl any more crumpled that that....

Glad to hear your friends /family are going to be ok, a little banged up but alive!

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Jesus that ranger is crumpled up really good! I don’t think you can get tin foyl any more crumpled that that....

Glad to hear your friends /family are going to be ok, a little banged up but alive!
That ranger had a roof on it when I was there. A passenger also waked out of that ranger

Reactions: DLC

DLC

Reaction score
Any idea what happened? Somebody passing another car/truck?

That is just crazy so close and didn’t make it the last few miles...

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Best guess would be that the ranger was headed south bound, fell asleep, and crossed the double yellow. A nevada license plate further confirms this. I asked the passenger where he had come from/where he was going, but he only wanted to check on his buddy. He was dressed for work. The BNSF truck heading north bound was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I have driven that stretch of 95 5 days a week for the last 3 years, that is the first fatal that I have crossed. Not that it's the first to happen. There really isn't much passing over the yellows out there either.

wzuber

Reaction score
wow that's a harsh looking scene. Sorry you had to experience that Warpt, tough day for sure. Good of you to stop and render what ever aid you could. I was almost rear ended by a passer the other night on my way back from havasu. Peeps be crazy out there. Stay safe out there boating brethren.

rrrr

Reaction score

Air bags make some miraculous saves. That's a tough scene, it makes one realize what first responders have to deal with.

I hope the injured fully recover.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Amazing that the ranger people lived while the person in the F250 did not, I would have thought it would have been the other way around looking at the pics.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Amazing that the ranger people lived while the person in the F250 did not, I would have thought it would have been the other way around looking at the pics.

Person in the F250 probably wasn't wearing a seat belt.

rrrr

Reaction score

Person in the F250 probably wasn't wearing a seat belt.

That may have been a factor in his fatal injuries. As usual, I'm going to play the safety nanny and encourage everyone to use seat belts. Make your passengers buckle up too.

Air bags will save your life, but if you aren't belted in, the chances of severe injury or death increase dramatically.

A study by a group at the University of Pittsburgh found the following:

The rate of cervical spine fractures was 54 percent in drivers using an airbag only, compared to 42 percent for drivers using both an airbag and seatbelt. With adjustment for other factors, the relative risk of cervical spine fracture was 70 percent higher for drivers using an airbag without a seatbelt, compared to drivers using both protective devices. This was even greater than the 32 percent increase in cervical fracture risk for drivers using neither an airbag nor seatbelts.

Among passengers, the risk of cervical fracture plus spinal cord injury was nearly seven times higher for those using an airbag without seatbelts (compared to both protective devices). For both drivers and passengers, women were about half as likely as men to be injured using an airbag alone.

After reaching the trauma center, patients who used an airbag only had higher injury severity scores. They also spent more time in the intensive care unit and more total time in the hospital.

Automobile airbags were shown to be highly successful in reducing injuries resulting from frontal collisions, reducing fatality rates by about 20 percent compared to seatbelts alone. Airbags were specifically designed to be used with seatbelts--serious injuries may result in victims who, because they are not properly restrained by seatbelts, are "out of position" when airbags deploy.

Last edited:

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

rrrr

Reaction score
Sucks either way, but makes a bit more sense based on the bulk of each vehicle and the damage. Hard to imagine that was a ranger pick up at one time.

Yes, it does.

The photo in the article linked by Kachina 26 is just horrible. The level of destruction reduced the Ranger to an unrecognizable hunk of metal and plastic.

Look at all of the debris on the highway. The impact scattered parts in an area over a couple hundred feet in diameter.

5b3d1abb1e3c7.image.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
Signs or not, I don't run two lane roads regardless the state, without my headlights on. It always amazes me, that despite the signs on 95 clearly stating "Headlights On", the vast majority of cars ignore it. I suppose it simply takes too much energy to reach down and flip a switch or knob. Will it save your life ? Hell I dunno, but I do know I can notice a vehicle much further in the distance with its lights on, than off.
Close to 40 years ago, my dad and mom got hit head on out on ole Rt 66 (Before the I-40 was constructed) in broad daylight. Happened between Truxton and Peach Springs, middle of the day, towing an Airstream Trailer. In this case, probably wouldn't have helped as the Asian driver apparently fell asleep, but since all four in the car were killed, who knows ? Dad saw him come flying out of his lane, traveling mid pack with a group of cars, swerved the truck at the last instant, the car hit the Airstream head on, split it in two pieces. Mom and dad drove away after spending hours picking up their belongings scattered all over the desert. Last time dad ever towed and he'd towed all his life. He bought a camper for future travels. Two days later was in the hospital suffering some strange anxiety breakdown, he also never fully recovered, kinda a PTSD I'd guess.

I can't see how lights on could hurt

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
I drove that for 2yrs for work and hated it.Always expecting the worst.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Signs or not, I don't run two lane roads regardless the state, without my headlights on.
I can't see how lights on could hurt

use the auto on feature on my suburban - daytime running lights. Tundra - always on with fog lights too - they shut off when I turn the key off.. and open the door... Other car, lights always on while running, never shut them off.... So I agree with you, lights on for safety.....

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Well, I'm stuck on the 95 again. This time at Havasu Heights headed south, home.

rrrr

Reaction score
Close to 40 years ago, my dad and mom got hit head on out on ole Rt 66 (Before the I-40 was constructed) in broad daylight. Happened between Truxton and Peach Springs, middle of the day, towing an Airstream Trailer. In this case, probably wouldn't have helped as the Asian driver apparently fell asleep, but since all four in the car were killed, who knows ? Dad saw him come flying out of his lane, traveling mid pack with a group of cars, swerved the truck at the last instant, the car hit the Airstream head on, split it in two pieces. Mom and dad drove away after spending hours picking up their belongings scattered all over the desert. Last time dad ever towed and he'd towed all his life.

As I mentioned above, I lived in Holbrook as a kid. We actually bounced between Albuquerque and Holbrook, because my dad owned a commercial sheet metal business and while his main shop was in Albuquerque, he did a lot of BIA work in Indian villages like Shonto, Tuba City, and Teec Nos Pos. He built a 16,000 SF shop and a couple of houses next to Route 66 on the east side of Holbrook. It's all still there, behind a Motel 6.

One afternoon in the summer of 1967 my family and I were on Route 66, somewhere east of Grants between Cubero and Paraje, headed for Albuquerque. There was a red '64 Galaxie convertible about a hundred yards in front of us, also going eastbound.

I was in the back seat, and happened to be looking out the windshield when a westbound old 2 1/2 ton covered stakebed truck veered into the eastbound lane and hit the Galaxie head on.

The truck flipped over the Ford and landed in the brush on the eastbound shoulder as my dad locked up the brakes and stopped just a few feet away. The Galaxie had disappeared into a huge cloud of dust.

My dad yelled "Stay in the car" to me and my siblings, and mom and dad jumped out of the car running towards the Ford. The truck driver had crawled out through the windshield opening and was sitting in the dirt. I disobeyed my dad, got out and walked over to the driver.

My grandfather was a bad alcoholic, and I knew what drunk was. The guy was absolutely shitfaced. By this time a couple of cars had stopped, and there were several men standing by the upside down Galaxie convertible. The driver was dead, impaled by the A pillar. I heard a small child crying, and saw my mom over in the sagebrush holding a bloody woman, and she was holding a boy three or four years old. Neither of them were badly hurt, which was a miracle because the truck flipped over the passenger compartment, and when the Galaxie rolled it ejected the woman and boy into the desert.

The driver was in the Air Force, and they were moving from southern California to Albuquerque. There were belongings from the car scattered all over the desert, along with canned food, candy bars and chips from the load the truck was carrying.

It took almost an hour for an ambulance to arrive, and it took the woman and the boy to a hospital in Albuquerque.

Some six months later my mom went to court to testify in the manslaughter trial of the driver. Much to her disgust and emotional upset the guy received a six month sentence for DUI, and was found innocent of manslaughter.

The woman's life was destroyed and the little boy had to grow up without a dad. The driver of the truck should have spent years in jail, but he was out in six months.

My mom corresponded with the woman for years, and sent her cards on holidays and the boy's birthday.

Sometimes the justice system fails miserably.

Last edited:

playdeep

Reaction score

As I mentioned above, I lived in Holbrook as a kid. We actually bounced between Albuquerque and Holbrook, because my dad owned a commercial sheet metal business and while his main shop was in Albuquerque, he did a lot of BIA work in Indian villages like Shonto, Tuba City, and Teec Nos Pos. He built a 16,000 SF shop and a couple of houses next to Route 66 on the east side of Holbrook. It's all still there, behind a Motel 6.

One afternoon in the summer of 1967 my family and I were on Route 66, somewhere east of Grants between Cubero and Paraje, headed for Albuquerque. There was a red '64 Galaxie convertible about a hundred yards in front of us, also going eastbound.

I was in the back seat, and happened to be looking out the windshield when a westbound old 2 1/2 ton covered stakebed truck veered into the eastbound lane and hit the Galaxie head on.

The truck flipped over the Ford and landed in the brush on the eastbound shoulder as my dad locked up the brakes and stopped just a few feet away. The Galaxie had disappeared into a huge cloud of dust.

My dad yelled "Stay in the car" to me and my siblings, and mom and dad jumped out of the car running towards the Ford. The truck driver had crawled out through the windshield opening and was sitting in the dirt. I disobeyed my dad, got out and walked over to the driver.

My grandfather was a bad alcoholic, and I knew what drunk was. The guy was absolutely shitfaced. By this time a couple of cars had stopped, and there were several men standing by the upside down Galaxie convertible. The driver was dead, impaled by the A pillar. I heard a small child crying, and saw my mom over in the sagebrush holding a bloody woman, and she was holding a boy three or four years old. Neither of them were badly hurt, which was a miracle because the truck flipped over the passenger compartment, and when the Galaxie rolled it ejected the woman and boy into the desert.

The driver was in the Air Force, and they were moving from southern California to Albuquerque. There were belongings from the car scattered all over the desert, along with canned food, candy bars and chips from the load the truck was carrying.

It took almost an hour for an ambulance to arrive, and it took the woman and the boy to a hospital in Albuquerque.

Some six months later my mom went to court to testify in the manslaughter trial of the driver. Much to her disgust and emotional upset the guy received a six month sentence for DUI, and was found innocent of manslaughter.

The woman's life was destroyed and the little boy had to grow up without a dad. The driver of the truck should have spent years in jail, but he was out in six months.

My mom corresponded with the woman for years, and sent her cards on holidays and the boy's birthday.

Sometimes the justice system fails miserably.

Ron,my memory sucks...but,weren't you one of the first ones on the Scene when Kevin Nichols left the Eldorado McDonald's ran the red light at Wyoming&Candelaria killing those two people...?

rrrr

Reaction score
Ron,my memory sucks...but,weren't you one of the first ones on the Scene when Kevin Nichols left the Eldorado McDonald's ran the red light at Wyoming&Candelaria killing those two people...?

Yeah, I was the first person there. Kevin took off out of McDonalds spinning the tires and there was a cop across the street in the shopping center. He took off after Kevin with lights and siren, and we followed at a leisurely pace, intending to wave at him as we went by his stupid pulled over ass.

He went about 3/4 of a mile, and ran a red light at Candelaria and Wyoming going about 60. He broadsided a Lincoln carrying a couple in their 70s, and it ended up in the gas station on the NW corner of the intersection. Kevin's car was in the middle of the intersection. Mark Haury was with me, we peeled the door open on his car, he was conscious and had a broken leg.

I ran over to the Lincoln, and both of them were dead. I called his dad on a pay phone, and after talking to the cops I went to the hospital. His dad and stepmom showed up, and I was talking to his dad when his wife walked up looking like a ghost. I hadn't told him the two people were dead, and she said "John, Kevin killed two people". She fell on the floor.

He did a year up in Springer. Even though we were good friends, I never talked to him again. I saw the dead couple, he didn't, and he never showed much remorse according to people that attended his trial.

MOISTURE MISSILE

Reaction score
The driver of the F250 is a friend and coworker. He is doing ok. He was wearing a seatbelt. All BNSF vehicles have inward and outward facing cameras in them. He has a broken shoulder, broken elbow, broken wrist, broken finger, broken arm, broken pelvis, broken leg, broken ankle, and a crushed knee, but he is alive thank god.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
The driver of the F250 is a friend and coworker. He is doing ok. He was wearing a seatbelt. All BNSF vehicles have inward and outward facing cameras in them. He has a broken shoulder, broken elbow, broken wrist, broken finger, broken arm, broken pelvis, broken leg, broken ankle, and a crushed knee, but he is alive thank god.
Damn thats a lot of broken, but he’s alive thankfully.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Wonder if FELA will kick in. Glad he's alive, I've worked with him in the past as well. Sounds like a very long road to recovery.

2Driver

Reaction score

I pm’d you but Just making sure the guys name wasn’t Brent from Parker - hope not.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

Wow, that sucks all we heard before leaving eastbound was wrist, and again when i got back into Needless heard the same. It’s Burnside right?

MOISTURE MISSILE

Reaction score
Wow, that sucks all we heard before leaving eastbound was wrist, and again when i got back into Needless heard the same. It’s Burnside right?

If you are asking if Burnside is his last name, no sir it is not. He has been on the railroad for 20+ years and lives in Havasu. If you have run between Needles and LA you have definitely gone through one of his form b’s at some point. He is an awesome guy, coworker, and family man. Also has one of the coolest Ducati collections I have ever seen.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
If you are asking if Burnside is his last name, no sir it is not. He has been on the railroad for 20+ years and lives in Havasu. If you have run between Needles and LA you have definitely gone through one of his form b’s at some point. He is an awesome guy, coworker, and family man. Also has one of the coolest Ducati collections I have ever seen.

Yea the dickscratcher cut me in last night. I couldn’t think of who was told to me, as Steve kept turning to “Bertliiiinnnnnngggggg go ahead”

rrrr

Reaction score

I guess at this point in time, the people that don't wear seat belts are too ingrained in the habit to change. If you don't, at least consider the consequences of your serious injury or death on others.

While there's no way to say definitively, it's not unreasonable to assume four dead siblings would have lived through this crash. Their mother, in the front seat, was wearing her seat belt and survived with minor injuries.

The father, who was driving, was also belted but he died. It looks like the crash damage was from the Toyota center punching the passenger side of the F-250 at speed.

TOWNSEND, Del. (WTXF) - A New Jersey man and his four daughters were killed in a multi-vehicle crash on Friday afternoon in Townsend, Delaware. The man's wife survived.

Police say the 61-year-old man and his 53-year-old wife were properly restrained with seat belts, but the children, including a 20-year-old, a 17-year-old and two 13-year-olds, were not.

The linked photo shows the violence of the hit. The F-250's frame was bent significantly by the impact. Rescuers cut the roof off of the Toyota to remove the passengers.

EDIT: Another link, this one to Fox News. Another vehicle was involved. A Mercury Sable was hit by the F-250 before the truck hit the Toyota minivan. The driver and passenger in the F-250 and the driver of the Mercury Sable were all wearing seat belts, and they were treated at a hospital and released. At this time no charges have been filed.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/0...d-in-delaware-crash-minivan-pickup-truck.html

https://twitter.com/JenniJoyceTV/status/1015566495940825088/photo/1

DhgEV6YWAAAaqUT

http://www.fox29.com/news/1-dead-in-multi-car-crash-in-townsend-del

Last edited:

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Yeah, I was the first person there. Kevin took off out of McDonalds spinning the tires and there was a cop across the street in the shopping center. He took off after Kevin with lights and siren, and we followed at a leisurely pace, intending to wave at him as we went by his stupid pulled over ass.

He went about 3/4 of a mile, and ran a red light at Candelaria and Wyoming going about 60. He broadsided a Lincoln carrying a couple in their 70s, and it ended up in the gas station on the NW corner of the intersection. Kevin's car was in the middle of the intersection. Mark Haury was with me, we peeled the door open on his car, he was conscious and had a broken leg.

I ran over to the Lincoln, and both of them were dead. I called his dad on a pay phone, and after talking to the cops I went to the hospital. His dad and stepmom showed up, and I was talking to his dad when his wife walked up looking like a ghost. I hadn't told him the two people were dead, and she said "John, Kevin killed two people". She fell on the floor.

He did a year up in Springer. Even though we were good friends, I never talked to him again. I saw the dead couple, he didn't, and he never showed much remorse according to people that attended his trial.

This wasn’t the same Kevin Nichols that was killed here in Alb on I-40 on a motorcycle about 8-10 yrs ago was it?