WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Favorite Chips and salsa.

Tank

Reaction score
So, first. Obviously home made salsa is awesome. I like Roma tomato, red and sweet onion, celantro, fresh garlic, jalapeño, garlic salt and lemon, chop up so it’s small but still chunky not watery. We actually have a hand powered salsa chopper that is A-MAZE-ING. And of course home made corn tortilla chips are the BOMB!!
But if you don’t have half a day for chips and salsa, then obviously you gotta go with some pre made stuff.

I like the store made chips in the plastic bag but quality can vary. Not a fan of mass produced tortilla chips but if I have to I like caladad and santitas. Store salsa SUUUUUUCKS. can’t do it. Even the pico de Gallo stuff the store makes. Always disappoints.Tostitos and pace picante salsa suck balls. Except I do use pace picante in my Spanish rice.

But I digress - the whole point of this ramble. A friend of ours used to sell various salsas at the local farmers market and I was able to sample plenty of smaller salsa companies from all over. But I found some shit that Blew me away a couple years ago. It’s more liquid style, not chunky. Way restaurant style. It’s called andole’s. After my buddy stopped selling salsa I had to track down a seller and found one out of New Mexico. Very cool family owned distributor of I think three makers of local salsas. I order a case at a time (because it’s required by them) and after trying various types I settle everytime for half green and half red. Place and order about 3 times a year. Of course, I give a jar out here or there. The salsa like I said is very purified and liquid style. It’s spicy but not stupid spicy (I like spicy though). It’s not overly done with tomato either. Just a perfect balance. The tomatillo salsa is the same.

so, then a few months ago a friend turned me onto taco works tortilla chips out of San Luis Orbison. Super crunchy, kinda thick, great taste. You can get these at the store (vons / Safeway)

so, long story endless, I highly recommend picking up some of these chips and if you are able to grab some andole’s salsa to match them up with, you will not be disappointed.

ADBAA41E-9C51-4663-9FEC-233FD135E300.jpeg
FCEC6021-6622-469B-9F61-12E2AF96F478.jpeg

lbhsbz

Reaction score
The best salsa I've had in my life was at Los Arcos in Parker....they used to bring it out warm in a squeeze bottle. along with their perfectly salted chips, It was like crack...I couldn't stop eating it.

El Serape is close on the salsa, but it's not the same.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Casa Trejo in Yucaipa for restaurant they don’t play and if you don’t like spicy you don’t have a choice.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
El Niagra Woodstock Il. All made in house.
I worked for Garcias of scottsdale as a young punk in Redmond Wa. . Learned how to cut up corn tortillas, deep fry them and make salsa's.
They have it right.
Will also add a bowl of warm enchilada sauce for the meek..

A few beers in, the store bought stuff is about all the same. No preference. I do like guacamole though. so beating up an avocado is always on the list.

oldschool

Reaction score
Costco’s Kirkland Organic salsa is good, we get chips from our local Vallarta Market.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
There are restaurants with good salsa, but I’ve yet to find anything on the store shelf I’d recommend. All of it is just mediocre.

I will eat a can of this and chips every night though. I can’t live without it.

IMG_7834.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Cardenas market. Chip made in the store and salsa in deli tubs.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I always throw my ingredients on the blackstone and char em up for my salsa. Side note.. Garcias Mexican food in Blythe has some of the best salsa I have had in a long time. Last 3 trips I have have taken the long way home from parker through bythe just for a chili Colorado burrito from garcias. I mean good!!!!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
These are my go to. I tried the hot salsa once and it was too spicy so be warned.

4659968D-56FC-4B3D-95E0-D8FE2AA44C26.jpeg
96998485-B966-472A-9B77-A87326727490.jpeg

:LOL::LOL::LOL: There is not any good Mexican here in the island any More. 😢

sintax

Reaction score
Any of the salsas from Northgate Market.

Chips, ironically I LOVE the store made ones from Stater Bros (yellow corn), but I also like the ones from Northgate.

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
Herndez avacado mixed with pace chunky hot and good to go and if i can find them, the tostitos hint of jalapeño tort chips,
other then that santitas or any hole in the wall mex shop. 👌🏽

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I don't have a hispanic bone in my body, or my family for that matter so I have no idea what great is supposed to be. Chili's has great chips and salsa in my opinion.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
Espiau’s in Claremont is the best. I like Chilis, too. Our Stater Bros has a fresh fruit counter & have salsa which is as close to restaurant as I’ve ever tried.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Go to El Chilitos in Fontana in the Stater Bros. Plaza, get a 32 oz. cup of their mild salsa, it has better flavor than their hot and it does have some heat. Get a bag of Tostitos thin Cantina style chips and go to town. This salsa goes great on carnitas and barbacoa tacos too. You can thank me later.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
There are restaurants with good salsa, but I’ve yet to find anything on the store shelf I’d recommend. All of it is just mediocre.

View attachment 949556

Thanks, gonna have to give that a try!

We have all kinds of good salsa around here!!

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
We always make our own, our friends and neighbors look forward to it and are kind of disappointed when we don't. We usually stop at El Ranchito Taco Shop off Monterey and pick up a couple bags of chips. Because the salsa deserves the best.
20200215_152119.jpg
20200215_154437.jpg
20200215_162158.jpg
20200215_162943.jpg
20200215_162959.jpg
20200215_163521.jpg

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score
So, first. Obviously home made salsa is awesome. I like Roma tomato, red and sweet onion, celantro, fresh garlic, jalapeño, garlic salt and lemon, chop up so it’s small but still chunky not watery. We actually have a hand powered salsa chopper that is A-MAZE-ING. And of course home made corn tortilla chips are the BOMB!!
But if you don’t have half a day for chips and salsa, then obviously you gotta go with some pre made stuff.

I like the store made chips in the plastic bag but quality can vary. Not a fan of mass produced tortilla chips but if I have to I like caladad and santitas. Store salsa SUUUUUUCKS. can’t do it. Even the pico de Gallo stuff the store makes. Always disappoints.Tostitos and pace picante salsa suck balls. Except I do use pace picante in my Spanish rice.

But I digress - the whole point of this ramble. A friend of ours used to sell various salsas at the local farmers market and I was able to sample plenty of smaller salsa companies from all over. But I found some shit that Blew me away a couple years ago. It’s more liquid style, not chunky. Way restaurant style. It’s called andole’s. After my buddy stopped selling salsa I had to track down a seller and found one out of New Mexico. Very cool family owned distributor of I think three makers of local salsas. I order a case at a time (because it’s required by them) and after trying various types I settle everytime for half green and half red. Place and order about 3 times a year. Of course, I give a jar out here or there. The salsa like I said is very purified and liquid style. It’s spicy but not stupid spicy (I like spicy though). It’s not overly done with tomato either. Just a perfect balance. The tomatillo salsa is the same.

so, then a few months ago a friend turned me onto taco works tortilla chips out of San Luis Orbison. Super crunchy, kinda thick, great taste. You can get these at the store (vons / Safeway)

so, long story endless, I highly recommend picking up some of these chips and if you are able to grab some andole’s salsa to match them up with, you will not be disappointed.

View attachment 949539 View attachment 949540

Lived in Las Cruces for 13 years. Ate at Andeles many many times. Good salsa and Good food but not the best in the area. Damn I miss the Mexican food there! Phoenix does not have any good NM style Mexican food! Atleast I have not found any yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Lived in Las Cruces for 13 years. Ate at Andeles many many times. Good salsa and Good food but not the best in the area. Damn I miss the Mexican food there! Phoenix does not have any good NM style Mexican food! Atleast I have not found any yet.

Then you’ve never been to Richardson’s.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
One of our customers send us a box full of their salsas, mild, medium and hot about every month. Though the hot isn't that hot that one and the medium is very tasteful. They make their own tortillas chips as well and it really makes for a good combination. Ya gotta try it out.

riverroyal

Reaction score
El napilito in encintas for both. If youve had them you know...

DB / HAV

Reaction score
Maria’s in Glendora has great salsa, but our neighbor across the street in Havasu makes the best green & red salsa.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
I don’t make them often but the corn chips I make at home are my favorite.

Corn tortillas brushed with vegetable oil, salted and then cut in to chip sized slices. Put them in the oven on a cookie sheet...I don’t remember the time or oven temp but I always just DDG (DuckDuckGo) the recipe and it shows up.

BajaT

Reaction score
20201207_213059.jpg

Gotta have restaurant style!

Javajoe

Reaction score
Besides my wife’s, Olivia’s in Riverside is really good

boatnam2

Reaction score

View attachment 949556

My Mom drove a catering truck and made a pretty mean salsa daily, this or the green can was always her base for it. Best salsa i have ever eaten is down town torrance at La capilla, I'm still trying to figure out what's the extra ingredient that puts it over the top.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

RodnJen

Reaction score
At Sam's club, favorite store-bought. The Chica's chips mentioned by @KevinR are fantastic.

1607445213724.png

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Dammit Tank... now I have work to do!

Attachments

• 20191109_134206.jpg
    20191109_134206.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20201208_083507.jpg
    20201208_083507.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 45

pkbullet

Reaction score

Andele’s salsa is very good, but El Sombrero’s is my favorite in Cruces. They just don’t package for distribution.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

Nope, and good luck finding any unless you head up the Flagstaff or Winslow, couple of good NM food places there.

I'm not a salsa snob, sometimes I'll just plow through a jar of Pace or Tostidos salsa on Sunday afternoon.

The local Jewel makes great restaurant style chips though, they can't be beat.