WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

FBT: Did you loose any inches?:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I was a shade over 6 ft tall when I entered the Marines.

Since my buldging discs arrived I'm now about 5'10" and a half.

Alice is almost taller than me.

Did you loose any height with your back issues?

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Yeah Ross, I did.
I was 6-4 when I hired on wth the cop shop in '80
I was 6-2 when I was checked in for surgery, the two at L4-5 and L5-S1 were completely gone, bone to bone at both locations.
After surgery, with the new pieces-parts, I am back to 6-4.
But, it is only temporary. L3-4 is now falling apart, and others ain't far behind. I need to loose some more weight, 'cause ain't nobody cutting on me again anytime soon.
'Course, I am saying that sittin' in my chair with the massage on, and Norco on board.:(:rolleyes:

Mykidsdaddy

Reaction score
Hey FBT...I had the same bone to bone thing happen at the other end...C5&6 and C6&7 were rubbing against each other. Narrowed the spinal cord canal by 50% and the calcium that built up cut my spinal cord in one spot. Had surgery in 2001 neck is OK now but lower AND middle back are going! Sucks!!!
Never have re-measured myself!

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Hey FBT...I had the same bone to bone thing happen at the other end...C5&6 and C6&7 were rubbing against each other. Narrowed the spinal cord canal by 50% and the calcium that built up cut my spinal cord in one spot. Had surgery in 2001 neck is OK now but lower AND middle back are going! Sucks!!!
Never have re-measured myself!

Yes it does. Big time. Do a search for "Flexicore Artificial Disc"...
I am part of the multilevel study group on this thing, I have two of them, one each at L4-5 and L5-S1. Been in since Jan 17 2006. They are doing okay, but the surgery was a mofo, and now, with the metal in there it is really no fun when the weather changes, or when it is cold and damp.
I've also got the facet joint arthritis, bone spurs, etc, etc, etc.

Phebus

Past Poster.
Reaction score
Yes it does. Big time. Do a search for "Flexicore Artificial Disc"...
I am part of the multilevel study group on this thing, I have two of them, one each at L4-5 and L5-S1. Been in since Jan 17 2006. They are doing okay, but the surgery was a mofo, and now, with the metal in there it is really no fun when the weather changes, or when it is cold and damp.
I've also got the facet joint arthritis, bone spurs, etc, etc, etc.

I'm curious how the artificial discs do for you over time. I wasn't a candidate for them, as I had three broken facets, and they are needed for stability with the artificial discs. I ended up wit four fused vertabrae.
Bad backs suck, and after a long recovery period, my back seems to be going south again. Afraid to go back to the doctor and have another MRI, and I refuse (after four back surgeries) to let them cut on me again until I wake up in the morning and say I can't go on. Then, the choice will be more surgery, or a bullet in the head.

Mykidsdaddy

Reaction score
I'm curious how the artificial discs do for you over time. I wasn't a candidate for them, as I had three broken facets, and they are needed for stability with the artificial discs. I ended up wit four fused vertabrae.
Bad backs suck, and after a long recovery period, my back seems to be going south again. Afraid to go back to the doctor and have another MRI, and I refuse (after four back surgeries) to let them cut on me again until I wake up in the morning and say I can't go on. Then, the choice will be more surgery, or a bullet in the head.

I know what you mean!!! I am reluctant to go back...I have already had a epidural in my lower back...it worked for a while but I think surgery will be their next answer.
That means I would not be able to work and my family will go into the shitter! Wife doesn't work...she will go to work but could never earn enough to make rent utilities food etc... She's a pro-mom, nothing more.
Disability Ins won't be enough either.
I will just keep on keepin on for now.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I refuse (after four back surgeries) to let them cut on me again until I wake up in the morning and say I can't go on. Then, the choice will be more surgery, or a bullet in the head.

Amen, brother. I was at that "morphine or surgery" place before they got me on the table last time. That is the only way I'll go back.
The Flexicore discs had the fewest moving parts of any of them, and they are titanium over stainless. I was a researchin' sumbitch before hand, and best I can tell they should outlast me by several years as far as functional movement. Supposedly better than OEM, but we shall see.

Rick you are one of the people I truly look forward to sharing a beer with if we make it down there in Feb. as planned. i get the feeling we could B.S. for days..:D

MyKids...

Amen to you too, Bud. I know exactly the shoes you are in. Retired, fighting my former employers' comp carrier, and the feds at the same time. Income cut by about 60%, and cannot work per the doc.(s) Thankfully, my wife works and my sons are grown.
I think I can speak for Phebus when I say that no one can decide when enough is enough for you unless they've walked the trail.
Remember, tho, that spinal impingment deal can leave you in a place where you not only can't work but can't walk if you let it go too far.
It is one of the biggest crapshoots in life, ain't it?:confused:

Mykidsdaddy

Reaction score
I wouldn't wish my body on anyone except my worst enemy. LOL!!!
FBT, we are in Sparks NV, if you ever comeover to Reno give me a holler.:beer I can still lift 12oz!!

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I wouldn't wish my body on anyone except my worst enemy. LOL!!!
FBT, we are in Sparks NV, if you ever comeover to Reno give me a holler.:beer I can still lift 12oz!!

Ya goin' to the Cabelas grand opening?:D:D
Son is a HVAC Tech for Sears in Reno....

Phebus

Past Poster.
Reaction score
Rick you are one of the people I truly look forward to sharing a beer with if we make it down there in Feb. as planned. i get the feeling we could B.S. for days..:D

MyKids...

Amen to you too, Bud. I know exactly the shoes you are in. Retired, fighting my former employers' comp carrier, and the feds at the same time. Income cut by about 60%, and cannot work per the doc.
(s) Thankfully, my wife works and my sons are grown.
I think I can speak for Phebus when I say that no one can decide when enough is enough for you unless they've walked the trail.
Remember, tho, that spinal impingment deal can leave you in a place where you not only can't work but can't walk if you let it go too far.
It is one of the biggest crapshoots in life, ain't it?:confused:

The section I quoted in bold is my life in a nutshell. All I want is the retirement I would have been able to recieve had my carreer not been cut short with the on the job injury, yet I will be lucky to still be alive if and when they settle my case.

I feel sorry for my family, as there are times I'm a bitch because of my back pain, I'm unable to go places, or we have to leave things early. I try my best, but I'm sure life isn't easy with me. Putting on a front and pretending like life is great gets old some time.

FBT, I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about, as it sounds like we walk in the same shoes. I would love to share a beer or two with you when you're down this way, and if you need a place to stay, just let me know.

MyKids, I reccomend you put off the surgery until life gets to the point where the decision is taken out of your hands due to the fact that you can't go on the way it is. I had three unsuccessfull surgeries prior to them giving up with any other repairs and just fusing me. Another surgery is a possibility. Kind of like a house of cards that I would avoid if at all possible. I wish you the best of health and the best of luck.

Rick

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I really appreciate the offer, sir. We have friends in Havazoo, or we do unless they decide to move back to Tahoe. If they do, you may hear from me. We are going to try to fly in to LV sometime in Feb, then rent a car to come down to Havasu. They'd come get us, but we want to drive down and check out Parker while we are there, too.
We will get together then for sure.
I put on the same front, bud. Sounds like our wives share a bit of the same burden. What with Arnie tossing W/C into complete chaos, we couldn't have picked a better time to loose our careers, huh.:swear
That day in March '04 when my left leg went completely numb at work and I walked out the door I was #1 on the Lt. list.
By now I'd be Captain.
All I left with was three stripes.
It leaves me feeling rather foolish to have become a victim of the very system I busted my ass for for 25 years.
I don't know what pisses me off more, that they told the big lie, or that my dumb ass bought it for all those years.

Mykidsdaddy

Reaction score
Ya goin' to the Cabelas grand opening?:D:D
Son is a HVAC Tech for Sears in Reno....
Where is the Cabelas going in and when is it going to be opening???
I am going to get Mykidsmommy to get a job THERE!!! Discounts???

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
It is that enormous building they are putting up right next to Boomtown.
Over 125,000 square ft., according to the website.
Supposed to open Friday, November 16th.
They always have lotsa freebies on grand opening days, it ought to be worth the trip. It will be a destination unto itself in Reno.

Mykidsdaddy

Reaction score
I haven't been up that way in a while. I will make it a point to be there for the opening! I can read their catalogs for hours and not get tired of it! LOL

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score

WOW..I have beat my body up for the last 50 years, broken bones, screws, pins, etc...
I complain (to myself) and watched my mom go through the same crap you guys are dealing with, I would never wish that level of pain on anyone.
She died in between two different surgeries for her back, and she had a smile when she died!!
Beer is on me when we meet.....Rods this weekend!!!