WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Feds want to add River Restrictions

Patyacht

Reaction score
OK. It's time to speak up. Today's main story out of the Havasu News-Herald http://www.havasunews.com/news/feds-say-they-re-listening-on-refuge-boating-restrictions/article_cd0b5368-0137-11e6-a9ab-17458eb2bb13.html is about new BOATING RESTRICTIONS ON THE RIVER!!! It will impact all of us. If not now at some point it will. Slowly but surely the management of the Havasu Wildlife Refuge are going to try to shut down the river inch by inch IMO. So read the article and make sure you add a comment on their web site please. Be professional, short and to the point. These are the SAME folks that have blocked our access to Topock for the Off-Road community forcing the off roaders to use The Oatman-Topock highway to get to Topock. Then they set up checkpoints to ticket you. You must comment by May 12th. Post up once you made your comment to them: [email protected] or you can send a letter to the address in the article. Thanks.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Is there a map of the "Refuge" area, something tells me this will peak some interest here if we see how much of the river is affected, I'm guessing most of the needles to topock gorge strip could fall in their trap.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Basically they are talking about new restrictions from the I-40 Bridge south all the way to a large portion of Lake Havasu's North Bay. This thing is on a short fuse -- we have a 30 day public comment period which started yesterday. So far it looks like perhaps two public meetings in May (at least one is at the Avi) so stay tuned for details. If we want to prevent this, we'll need to turn-out in massive numbers. I'll try to pull together all the important links regarding the notices, maps, and a lengthy statement in support of boaters by Congressman Paul Gosar.

Shortdeck

Reaction score
Basically they are talking about new restrictions from the I-40 Bridge south all the way to a large portion of Lake Havasu's North Bay. This thing is on a short fuse -- we have a 30 day public comment period which started yesterday. So far it looks like perhaps two public meetings in May (at least one is at the Avi) so stay tuned for details. If we want to prevent this, we'll need to turn-out in massive numbers. I'll try to pull together all the important links regarding the notices, maps, and a lengthy statement in support of boaters by Congressman Paul Gosar.

If we need to show in numbers, we need dates and times of the meetings.

Taboma

Reaction score
Pretty much figured this was coming after Gosar pushed their buttons. Not saying his stand wasn't gallant and or warranted, but swatting the hornet will often produce undesirable results.

As I read their new boating restrictions I have no complaints so I'm not sure what to comment about. Any new restrictions seem applicable to Topock Marsh, unless of course Topock Marsh includes the Topock Marina area, at which point the 30 HP or less be a buzz kill.

For well over 25 years running the river north to the I-40 was our most anticipated highlight of every trip to the lake. Since we were seeking out the beauty of the area, we were always careful in later years to avoid the "Sandbar" shit show days. We're certainly not canoe paddlers, we're boaters too, but at least tried to convey respect and courtesy due such an awesome place.

Then more each successive year it became less desirable, more crowded, larger boats, more arrogant boater assholes, getting buzzed by 100+ cats, more LEO presence, then Topock marina became the place, then Pirates opened --- now it's about as much fun as driving the 91 freeway. I bet it's been three or four years since we've even bothered to make the trip, sure the place is still beautiful, but the overall boating experience certainly isn't.

I bet there's not a single one of you that's run that portion of the river and not wondered how long it would last. :( I've especially been reminded of this when I've witnessed boaters think it was shits and giggles to buzz a group canoeing down river, instead of respectfully giving them a wide berth.

Many years ago one of our absolute most awesome trips was our annual jet ski expedition up the Grand Canyon. We always strove to be the best stewards and ride with respect to our incredible surroundings. In the end it didn't matter, a few jet ski "Circle spinner" fuck-wads were witnessed tearing the place up (I guess more than a few million years of erosion could accomplish :yikes ) and provided an excuse for the Feds to shut us down. I wrote reams worth of letters, no matter, regardless of our good intentions and desire to explore, we were deemed evil.

I feel sorry for the younger boaters, the ones deserving to have enjoyed it's past magnificence, who never will.

With that written, I do applaud your personal efforts and especially those of your local Havasu SxS riding group. I know you are working hard to make a difference and leading the fight to save ridding areas by example. More often than not it must feel like an overwhelming mission.

"Boat usage in the refuge could also cause increased spread of nuisance-wildlife such as quagga mussels" ---- To this I shout --- WTF to the Feds :finger But other than that and of course the general M.O. of the feds to restrict motorized access in federally enforced areas, I'm not exactly sure what item in their proposal to comment on.

Do you have any suggestions in regards to how our comments might be directed to do the most good ?

Before posting this I read Bob's (two cents) contribution, I have a tremendous amount of respect for Mr. Brown and it seems (Rightfully so I'm sure) there's much more at stake than what's being initially proposed in this linked article.

I'll be looking forward to any and all additional information posted and tailor my comment submissions accordingly.

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Drafted an email to them this morning. Thank you for keeping us informed.

-Zack

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
OK. It's time to speak up. Today's main story out of the Havasu News-Herald http://www.havasunews.com/news/feds-say-they-re-listening-on-refuge-boating-restrictions/article_cd0b5368-0137-11e6-a9ab-17458eb2bb13.html is about new BOATING RESTRICTIONS ON THE RIVER!!! It will impact all of us. If not now at some point it will. Slowly but surely the management of the Havasu Wildlife Refuge are going to try to shut down the river inch by inch IMO. So read the article and make sure you add a comment on their web site please. Be professional, short and to the point. These are the SAME folks that have blocked our access to Topock for the Off-Road community forcing the off roaders to use The Oatman-Topock highway to get to Topock. Then they set up checkpoints to ticket you. You must comment by May 12th. Post up once you made your comment to them: [email protected] or you can send a letter to the address in the article. Thanks.

Comments sent, thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Someone find the planning action to this refuge. This will tell you what course of action, the people in charge of refuge will be taking. If it's their job to reduce all and any impact on the refuge, you need to address that first. You all know once the closing starts, it won't stop.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
I think most of the restrictions are already in place. The only one that would be an issue for most of us, would be increased no wake zones.

Public input will be huge for any of the things they are talking about. I would bet that among other groups, there will be a strong presence from the kayakers and canoers.

How many times have you seen the large group of kayak/canoers, many times retirees or boy scout groups, cruising along when all if a sudden, here comes powerboats hauling ass, blowing by them and thru them. I have seen that many times and it does not help out cause. I also know that most powerboaters share the river and give them the right of way.

The reason I bring this up is to get folks prepared for it at these public meetings. I didnt bring it up to start a debate about how careless or clueless they might be. Those groups will come large and hard. They are likely already many steps ahead of us. I am sure they will have video of boats blowing past them at high speeds. Keep this in mind when you get your turn for input. If we dont plan and consider things like that, we will get run over in a forum like that.

This doesn't even take into consideration the presence of the bird and animal folks.

Taboma

Reaction score
Someone find the planning action to this refuge. This will tell you what course of action, the people in charge of refuge will be taking. If it's their job to reduce all and any impact on the refuge, you need to address that first. You all know once the closing starts, it won't stop.

Essentially the basics of my comments question. If it's best to address our comments to specifics, or are we simply playing a 'Numbers Game' whereby the side with the most general comments wins ?

I'm not sure if simply writing "Hey leave us the fuck alone man" style of comments will win this battle let alone the war :D

Bleakish Times

Reaction score
Although I have only gone "upriver" once to the Topac area it was awesome. It was beautiful. We were amazed at the heat that is thrown off the red rocks ~ it felt as though we were traveling through a hair dryer. Since we launch from Havasu Springs area we have not gone back up to the Topac area as my brother-in-law has a wake board boat and he complains that they "get beat to hell" by any rough water ~

I would sure hope that some type of compromise can be found... I would like to go back up to the area again ~ it makes for a nice long boating day.

And on the sand bar ~ been there once and never again. I go to the river to actually drive my boat and relax ~ that place was a human zoo ~ too crazy for my blood.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I read the article, and I understand that any type of closure is bad for us as it just lets them inch in further and further. What is the proposed closure area? It seems they are only talking about the topock marsh and wetlands, which are currently already off limits to powered boating - right?

Or is this talking about a 30hp restriction the the actual river area near the train trestle and topock 66?

If so....that would be disasterious for both Topock 66 and Pirates Cove

Somebody school me and set me straight

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
Reading it carefully, it states that they are looking to formalize things that they have already put in place. You can bet that they would be more than willing to increase restrictions.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Anything like this should be a sticky or have its own forum. Not sure if RD wants to get involved in politics but I am sure there are a lot of members that would appreciate an opportunity to organize their efforts. Not sure if the political section would be appropriate or not.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The public meeting is a dog and pony show. They have to put it on by law. But, a strong show of force (by us boaters) is a requirement to make sure they know we are involved and willing to play nice with them!!!

You can bet your ass the envro nuts, will have a solid group of peep show up, to make their intentions known.

Now....

They best thing any of us can do is write a personal letter to Fish and Wildlife Congressional Liaison Christine Tincher.

Now....This is how things get done. The FS does not care about lame petitions that all you are doing is putting a check box on a form. They want to know that YOU care. That you are involved. That you are willing to do all the same things the other side is doing, to get their message across!!!

This is how it starts folks. Once they win the first battle, they know the next one will be even easier for them.

Start writing, from the heart. Make it count. :thumbsup

RD needs to write one too, as a rep from all of the members here as well.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Essentially the basics of my comments question. If it's best to address our comments to specifics, or are we simply playing a 'Numbers Game' whereby the side with the most general comments wins ?

I'm not sure if simply writing "Hey leave us the fuck alone man" style of comments will win this battle let alone the war :D

IDK, a good leave me the fuck alone letter always makes me feel better. Doesn't do any good however.:grumble:

mbrown2

Reaction score
Does anyone have the specific areas they are talking about and what restrictions. Someone said shutting down the who river from 40 to the top of the lake....which I did not read from the article. Part of the problems with these types of threads is the amount of misinformation causes folks to either over react, under react or ignore cause it seems like folks are off base.

Singleton

Reaction score
I am in Q4 sales hell.
If some can post a brief response, I can customize and submit it for all those in my house over the age of 18. Don't have time to write something from nothing until after June 1

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I got a reply...

Thank you for your comments. The public comment period for the draft Compatibility Determination closes on May 12, 2016. At that time, the Refuge will take all substantive comments into consideration when finalizing this determination.

Patyacht

Reaction score
This Article and U.S. Fish & Wildlife (USFW) response to hold public hearing is because Congressman Paul Goser got involved after the USFW implemented a no wake zone at the mouth of the river at the north end of Lake Havasu without following proper procedures. https://arizonadailyindependent.com/2016/03/29/gosar-moves-to-protect-lake-havasu-access-for-special-needs-child/ The main issue to me is IF we give an inch they will take a mile.
Here is Gosar's attack:
Today: http://gosar.house.gov/press-release/rep-gosar-rips-fish-and-wildlife-decision-pursue-more-boating-closures-lake-havasu

3/22/2016: [video=youtube;PV8fPz8fnVo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV8fPz8fnVo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV8fPz8fnVo[/video]

lebel409

Reaction score
I'm a canoeist and a boater, been up that part of the river many times in both.

I've never had an issue with boaters...but individual boats. 98% of boater stay right, slow down when they see canoes, wave and everything is fine. The asshole that decides he needs to cut close to the canoes and wash us down does it on the way up AND the way back. I'm sure the same can be said about paddlecraft, hopefully they stay right and aren't like the assholes in our neighborhoods pelitons...

Everyone should have access, everyone should obey the law and be courteous...and then the only issue would be the erosion from the fucking tour boat waves...:D

Taboma

Reaction score
Dear US Fish and Game,

For 9 months out of each year thousands of boaters each weekend are traveling the Colorado River passing through the Lake Havasu Wildlife Refuge. In doing so we are burning thousands of gallons of Federally taxed gasoline and consuming thousands of Federally taxed alcoholic beverages. It's obvious, in doing so we're contributing to the overall welfare of this wonderful country as well as supporting the local economy.

Consider this versus the dismal economic support offered by a dozen folks paddling canoes.

Oh and about that mud hen that took out my windshield last weekend, I'll be forwarding a bill once the repairs have been completed. :D

I suggest you train your damned birds to fly up and away, dumb fuckin birds :grumble:

Sincerely,
RDP member :D:D

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Dear US Fish and Game,

For 9 months out of each year thousands of boaters each weekend are traveling the Colorado River passing through the Lake Havasu Wildlife Refuge. In doing so we are burning thousands of gallons of Federally taxed gasoline and consuming thousands of Federally taxed alcoholic beverages. It's obvious, in doing so we're contributing to the overall welfare of this wonderful country as well as supporting the local economy.

Consider this versus the dismal economic support offered by a dozen folks paddling canoes.

Oh and about that mud hen that took out my windshield last weekend, I'll be forwarding a bill once the repairs have been completed. :D

I suggest you train your damned birds to fly up and away, dumb fuckin birds :grumble:

Sincerely,
RDP member :D:D

You left out a carton of taxed smokes.:D