WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fiberglass pools

guest hs

Reaction score
Anyone one had one of these installed in lake Havasu? How do you like it and who did you use? Are they less money then a gunite pool?

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I had in St George easy to clean cheaper to install we loved it . I had ours set 4” lower and had concrete Cantilever Over you couldn’t tell it was glass

CobraDave

Reaction score
I looked into a few in Southern California. Many perks about them but it would have been the same price vs concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Think about resale values when installing one of these. Gunite is going to bring better value than glass. JS

the510

Reaction score
when I was looking to have our pool built It was between gunite, and fiberglass. Because I was trying to use a specific space that was not to big I went with gunite. If I had unlimited amounts of space I think the fiberglass would have been the winner. Prices are similar, but the cost of maintenance on the fiberglass I remember was less.

redone76

Reaction score
I have a 13,000 gallon fiberglass pool in my backyard in SoCal. Had it installed about 14 years ago. It's been great and trouble free. Only thing I wish I had done is tile down the side to the waters edge. It gets a visible bathtub ring after a while and takes a bit to scrub off. And yes that's my kid riding his bike in the pool...
MOTOR110.jpg

sangerflattbottom

Reaction score
Think about resale values when installing one of these. Gunite is going to bring better value than glass. JS

We had a fiberglass pool installed in 2013 by Montgomery Pools in LHC with a salt system and we loved it. Maintained by my wife and unless you were in it, would have no idea it was glass and when you were in it, it felt much better than gunite on your feet. As for resale, Team RDP sold the house in 1-day and we are going with a Montgomery Pool at the new place scheduled to be installed in March 2019. Much easier to maintain and no worries about stains.

guest hs

Reaction score
Thanks I left a message for Montgomery pools

westair

Reaction score
We had a fiberglass pool installed in 2013 by Montgomery Pools in LHC with a salt system and we loved it. Maintained by my wife and unless you were in it, would have no idea it was glass and when you were in it, it felt much better than gunite on your feet. As for resale, Team RDP sold the house in 1-day and we are going with a Montgomery Pool at the new place scheduled to be installed in March 2019. Much easier to maintain and no worries about stains.
I just seen these guys installing one a few houses down from me …… it sure seemed like it went in quick.

DLC

Reaction score
School me on how the glass pool works with all the plumbing?

Do they have ports built in or do they just drill in ports/ supply and return lines?

What about separation between the coping /decking and pool? How is it bonded together?

I think having the coping cantilevered over the pool would look the best.

sangerflattbottom

Reaction score
School me on how the glass pool works with all the plumbing?

Do they have ports built in or do they just drill in ports/ supply and return lines?

What about separation between the coping /decking and pool? How is it bonded together?

I think having the coping cantilevered over the pool would look the best.

Ports are already installed and installer routes the lines. The installer uses some sort of plastic edge which I asked to be removed so mine was cantilevered over the pool. Hard to see but I didn't want the plastic to yellow over time. Will do the next pool the same way.
a53i5018-hdr-jpg.650824

DLC

Reaction score
Ports are already installed and installer routes the lines. The installer uses some sort of plastic edge which I asked to be removed so mine was cantilevered over the pool. Hard to see but I didn't want the plastic to yellow over time. Will do the next pool the same way.
a53i5018-hdr-jpg.650824

Wow that looks nice! Never would have known it wasn’t gunite

TCHB

Reaction score
I looked at both but really glad I went with a conventional gunite pool.

My neighbor has a fiberglass pool that is about 15 years old and started having problems with blisters. He has had it repaired 3 times in the past 5 years.

I like the look of a conventional pool and feel it will help the value of the home.

whipple charged

Reaction score
it was all redone when we bought house.. i think it has been there since 95 when house was built.
i was told that they don't have much insulation so it always stays cold.. in summer that a plus hottest ive seen it has 78deg when its well over 100deg outside..
but in winter its 56deg but thats what the heater is for.. gets water temp up to 87 deg in under 24hours.. love it..

Last edited:

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I looked into them extensively when we were deciding on a pool. I was told by 2 outfits that they were as much if not more initial cost. We decided on a conventional pool because of this and the wife was more into doing the design herself. Our neighbors have one and have had no problems with theirs.

phuggit

Reaction score
We went with Montgomery pools. I'm happy with it. Salt water system, low maintenance, and from the date the permit was pulled it took two and a half weeks for completion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Our friends used Sandcastle who recommended fiberglass in their application(small). A little cheaper and has held up well, they did delete the saltwater system after about 5 years.

Last edited:

USMC2010

Reaction score
7878AACA-8EAB-4B22-B76F-8D1C54174046.jpeg

Montgomery pools about 21,000 gallons, 40x15.5 and 6.5 feet deep at the near end. It has built in seating at least half way around. Installed spring of 2013. We had renderings done up from Sand Castle but decided we never wanted to have the expense of refinishing later.

Last edited:

USMC2010

Reaction score
Thanks. I've pretty much stayed out of most of the pool conversations because everyone wants gunite but I would argue the long term cost of fiberglass vs gunite any day and recommend Montgomery pools to anyone. We have a salt system and I maintain it myself. I don't think salt is much cheaper than chlorine. I think they are close to cancelling themselves out, but we find and anyone that comes over does as well that the water feels better on the skin than a non salt pool.

redone76

Reaction score
Also wanted to add that I don’t have a salt water system. I use maybe 3 gallons of granulated chlorine a year. Little bit of PH up here and there. One tab in a floater lasts about a week. Change the water out every couple years. Super easy maintenance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnyC

Reaction score
I had a glass pool installed in 2013 in bhc, install went smooth and had tile installed with cantilevered coping looks great but there was a problem, a couple of months after install the med blue pool started to look milky and blotchy had the installer call the manuf. to come out to look at it. the manuf. tested the cure of the glass and buffed out an area on the side of the pool, buuuutt .... it turned milky again! after repeated conferences and muliti visits from the manuf. rep the manuf tried to blame the milky finish on the water (bullshit) I told them that someone at the factory F/Upped and didn't put enough uv inhibitor in the gell and that why the finish was degrading after a lot of arm twisting and the threat of possible legal action, the manuf would refinish the pool if I paid half (no way in hell) ultimately the manuf. paid for the refinish and a a hedge against further problems I went from blue to white ( a lot cooler in the summer, no longer feels like you are getting into a bowl of soup) THE BAD PART IS..... when it was being refinished (did a great Job) the refinishers told me that all the blue pools from this manuf. in this color of blue turned chalky... but the problem was ultimately rectified the pool contractor went the extra mile to get it straightened out. hope this helps!

guest hs

Reaction score
Got the quote today 39K pool and spa 12x26 takes 2 weeks to install but can’t do it until April 2019

USMC2010

Reaction score
A month ago he told me he was pretty booked out, this is more than even then. Are you waiting or going with someone else? Unless you cover and heat you only have maybe 2 months left of comfortable use here.

Havalife

Reaction score
We have had our fiberglass pool for 14 years with no issues. When they set the pool it is in a sand bed and make sure you wet the sand to compact it. When ours was installed I asked what the moisture content of the sand was when they finish the fiberglass install. It was like a deer in the headlight look, so I took a 1/2" pipe with the garden hose attached to it and shoved it in the sand. After that they had to bring in more sand.

wet hull

Reaction score
I have been following this and will probably pull the trigger. I think I will buy the pool, dig the hole and then sub out the concrete decking. Is there anywhere besides the landfill to dump the dirt? I will bring out my dump trailer and bobcat/ excavator. Lastly, does anyone have a idea of cost on the pools? 14x32 looks to be a good size.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
My grandpa had a fiberglass pool. It's awesome on the feet but can be slippery. His was dug all the way in and looked like a gunite pool. It's still there and it's been at least 35 years.

outboardrick

Reaction score
I also looked at Montgomery fiberglass when I did my first pool, my space was limited and the glass pool just wouldn't fit correctly. Times were slow and Sand Castle did the plaster pool for about the same cost as glass.
I think a glass pool would be great if it fits the space and has the features you want, I wouldn't hesitate to own one. I spoke to Brock at Sand Castle this weekend and he said they were so backed up that he was starting to get some negative feed back due to not being able to meet deadlines, I'm sure all the builders are the same.

Sunset

Reaction score
I have been following this and will probably pull the trigger. I think I will buy the pool, dig the hole and then sub out the concrete decking. Is there anywhere besides the landfill to dump the dirt? I will bring out my dump trailer and bobcat/ excavator. Lastly, does anyone have a idea of cost on the pools? 14x32 looks to be a good size.
Yes there are a lot of lots that need fill dirt to grade if the dirt is clean .

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
We’ve had one for 12 years. No issues and low maintenance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk