WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

First post and new project

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
I thought I'd finally start posting and show my new flattie project. I bought this from some pretty cool people. It's a 64 Aquacraft. I think is from the Wickens line. This boat is bitchen. It's like the 62 Aquacraft my folks owned and we used to cruise in Parker. I began posting my project on PB, mainly for some advice, but decided the debauchery over here was more to my liking.:thumbsup

Here are some photos of my new project, along with some old ones of our 62, along with my pops last boat, an old 1978 24' Spectra. This photo was his last ride in the Spectra before he sold it to a guy from Vista, Ca who bought it. That's a boat I'd like to locate again for the old man.

At this point, I currently spend all my summers boating Mead. With my folks living in Vegas, I store my current boat in Boulder. With this flattie, I'm looking at getting back to Parker.

Either way, I'm beginning work on the trailer this weekend, which needs a lot of attention. No point in working on the boat if I can't get it anywhere.

Enjoy the photos.

Greg

DSCN0446.jpg

DSCN0449.jpg

83-0826cKathyHG.jpg

97-0424fGBoat.jpg

Boschma

Wish I was at the River
Reaction score
good luck with the project. Gotta love those old pictures...something about the coloring that tells you at the first glance its from back in the day.

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Thanks. Those old family photos will definately take you back. I've been looking at them quite a bit lately.

Greg

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
I thought I'd finally start posting and show my new flattie project. I bought this from some pretty cool people. It's a 64 Aquacraft. I think is from the Wickens line. This boat is bitchen. It's like the 62 Aquacraft my folks owned and we used to cruise in Parker. I began posting my project on PB, mainly for some advice, but decided the debauchery over here was more to my liking.:thumbsup

Here are some photos of my new project, along with some old ones of our 62, along with my pops last boat, an old 1978 24' Spectra. This photo was his last ride in the Spectra before he sold it to a guy from Vista, Ca who bought it. That's a boat I'd like to locate again for the old man.

At this point, I currently spend all my summers boating Mead. With my folks living in Vegas, I store my current boat in Boulder. With this flattie, I'm looking at getting back to Parker.

Either way, I'm beginning work on the trailer this weekend, which needs a lot of attention. No point in working on the boat if I can't get it anywhere.

Enjoy the photos.

Greg
Back in the early seventies, the Aquacraft flatty was quite the weapon of choice in ski racing. G'luk on resto project!
________
butt Webcams

Last edited:

FrznJim

Reaction score
I think that this is your Dad's old boat. This is what it looked like when we purchased it from Pat Martin back in 1998.

2421Picture_325-med.jpg

If so, this is what it now looks like today. We had it regelled at Fiberglass Reformations in Havasu a few years ago. It now has a new Mercruiser 496HO in it with a new velvet drive transmission, still a v-drive. Motor and trans were installed by Bergeron Engineering in Mesa. New motor has 9 hours on it. We could be persuaded to sell it.

242124spectra-med.gif

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Welcome to the board! I'm looking forward to seeing the restoration! If you want to put a wood deck on it like your families old one, it is a lot cheaper then you would think to do it! Harlan Orrin checks in from time to time and he's your man if you dEcide to go that route.

Again welcome to the board!

RD

bigboy308

Reaction score
Moxt definitely from the Wickens mold. Minor differences in deck and "kick-up" @ the cockpit from the AquaCraft. Mine was a '66.

Terrific ski race boats. Most everybody skied behind one @ one time or another. Fellow by the name of Gus Davis built a number of 427 Ford engines for AquaCraft/Wickens, as I recall.

GREAT find!

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. First off, BigBoy308 - It was the kick up on the upper part that tipped me off to the wikens. I love these old flatties. I work about a mile from Casale, took mine over there, got a quote for a rebuild, and I'm just waiting to pull the trigger.

I also purchased an FE390 Ford since I have the bell housing and motor mounts, pretty much all the hardware for this motor. I've torn the motor down and inspected all the internals. Heads need rebuilding and even though the rod end, bearings, and crank look good, I'm going to do a full rebuild on the motor.

I started cutting, grinding, and welding on the trailer today. I'll post pics soon of my work and progress. Once the trailer is done and road worthy, I'll send the boat off for new gel and color.

Now comes the really bitchen part....

FrznJim - I talked to my pops today, and he told me that he had exchanged emails with the gentlemen that ultimately puchased the Spectra. He told me that he lived in Alaska and also told me of the changes to the boat that was made.

Is this you? When you purchased the boat, did the name on the transom say 'Sybarite' ? This is pretty f'in cool in my opinion. He said the guy that came out from Vista was a man named Pat. Is this the same Pat that sold you the boat? Pretty small world. I'd love to see more pics.

Greg

FrznJim

Reaction score
That would be us, freezing in Alaska. Yes, your Dad and I exchanged e-mails back in 99, I think he was in Georgia then?? Timeline for the Spectra, your mom and dad 1984 to 1997, Pat and Alice Martin 4/97 to 10/98, we have owned it since then. We got sidelined buying twin turbo Schiada 21RCs the last couple of years, we have a 85 in Alaska, a 91 and 09 in Parker. I've been working on the 09, finishing the rigging but got sidelined buying income property in Parker and Havasu this fall. We're heading back to AK tomorrow, so the 09 will have to wait in Parker until we get back.

The 24Spectra is now a great cruising boat, turn key start with the 496HO, it has a four blade prop that really gets the stern up out of the water and carries the nose really well. I'll post some pics when we return to Parker. I've kicked around the idea of putting a wood deck or a XS deck, but really can't justify the cost, so we will see......

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Welcome to the board! I'm looking forward to seeing the restoration! If you want to put a wood deck on it like your families old one, it is a lot cheaper then you would think to do it! Harlan Orrin checks in from time to time and he's your man if you dEcide to go that route.

Again welcome to the board!

RD

Thanks Dave. Those wood decks kick ass. I'm still kicking that idea around.

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
That would be us, freezing in Alaska. Yes, your Dad and I exchanged e-mails back in 99, I think he was in Georgia then?? Timeline for the Spectra, your mom and dad 1984 to 1997, Pat and Alice Martin 4/97 to 10/98, we have owned it since then. We got sidelined buying twin turbo Schiada 21RCs the last couple of years, we have a 85 in Alaska, a 91 and 09 in Parker. I've been working on the 09, finishing the rigging but got sidelined buying income property in Parker and Havasu this fall. We're heading back to AK tomorrow, so the 09 will have to wait in Parker until we get back.

The 24Spectra is now a great cruising boat, turn key start with the 496HO, it has a four blade prop that really gets the stern up out of the water and carries the nose really well. I'll post some pics when we return to Parker. I've kicked around the idea of putting a wood deck or a XS deck, but really can't justify the cost, so we will see......

Have a safe trip back to Alaska. I hope to be talking with you soon. I have a lot of great memories on that Spectra. We used to pull multiple skiers at one time, and that boat did it without a hickup. We also used to fill my parents old waterbed up with air and pull tons of people at once. I could go on and on. Stories in that boat from Nacamiento, Parker, Havasu, Powell, Pleasant, Bartlet, and even Lake Ontario in upstate New York. That boat has seen lakes from the West Coast to the East Coast, and back again;)

Again, have a safe trip, and I'm looking forward to hearing about the mods you made.

Greg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. Those wood decks kick ass. I'm still kicking that idea around.

Shoot him a PM for a quote.. I was blown away when I found out. I always was under the impression it'd be 10 - 15K for something like that. When I found out it was 3 - 4, I was thinking.. Man that's almost cheaper then gelcoat?

RD

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Shoot him a PM for a quote.. I was blown away when I found out. I always was under the impression it'd be 10 - 15K for something like that. When I found out it was 3 - 4, I was thinking.. Man that's almost cheaper then gelcoat?

RD

RD, sittin here with my pops....talkin about the old wood decks.....I'm gonna check out the wood deck route. Now THAT, wood be bitchen.;)

If you could pm me Mr. Orrins contact info. that would be greatly appreciated.

GReg

67 baron sprint LD 390 FE

Reaction score
that would be cool to do a wood deck. Those are some cool pics of the spectra and the aqua craft. You should go to the big block legends show in needles this year. If you need any help on rebuilding the 390 there's a guy in havasu that can get some good horsepower out of them with factory parts. he knows how to make them run.

Last edited:

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
that would be cool to do a wood deck. Those are some cool pics of the spectra and the aqua craft. You should go to the big block legends show in needles this year. If you need any help on rebuilding the 390 there's a guy in havasu that can get some good horsepower out of them with factory parts. he knows how to make them run.

I'm gonna go there for sure. End of Feb. is marked on the calendar. I just need to make sure any of the wifey's honey do BS is done.

Do you know if there will be any vendors there selling parts???? Or is it just a show and shine type deal??

Greg

harlanorrin

Reaction score
Last months I got a wood deck Wickens. Lots of hardward, on a tandem trailer. The deck is far enough gone to need a replacement.
HARLAN ORRIN

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
When your talking those kind of figures on the wood deck your not talking any finish on it. You can add another 3-4000 for that alone...

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Holy shit it's been a looooong time.

Between busting my ass at work and with the family, this project took a back seat. Additionally my funds have been better spent on the family. That being said, I was/am determined to complete this project and do it on a super slim budget. I am reusing as many parts as I can, only replacing what cannot be re-furbished and subbing out the critical items I don't want do (basically the fiberglass repairs and gelcoat).

So here it goes:

Began re-working the trailer. None of the center tabs under the bunks were secured to the trailer. So I had to do some welding. Also, bought some new fenders and had to fabricate steps/mounts to hold the fenders in place. I didn't like the trailer tongue, so I cut it off and reworked it.

Picture 029.jpg

101_3557.jpg

101_6413.jpg

101_6420.jpg

101_6425.jpg

101_6427.jpg

101_6433.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7356.jpg
    IMG_7356.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1379.jpg
    IMG_1379.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 118

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
In 2013, I took the boat to Rick at Islander. He worked with me on my budget and I am absolutely pleased with how it turned out. He only concentrated on the inside, cleaning and repairing the glass, then he gelcoated the floor and interior.

IMG_8365.jpg

IMG_8367.jpg

IMG_8368.jpg

IMG_8373.jpg

IMG_8375.jpg

IMG_8384.jpg

IMG_8386.jpg

IMG_8753.jpg

IMG_8754.jpg

IMG_8866.jpg

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Here is the outcome of the interior.

IMG_9206.jpg

IMG_9207.jpg

IMG_9208.jpg

IMG_9209.jpg

IMG_9210.jpg

IMG_9211.jpg

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
This weekend, my son and I painted the trailer ourselves. I purchased a single stage and it was super easy to use.

IMG_3784.jpg

IMG_3786.jpg

IMG_3795.jpg

IMG_3796.jpg

Since this is supposed to be a father/son project, my boy jumped in and layed down some paint. :thumbup:

IMG_3809.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

IMG_3814.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3818.jpg

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Here's the completed pics of the trailer painted. It's supposed to be silver, unfortunately in the pictures it looks gray.

IMG_3823.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3826.jpg

IMG_3828.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Meanwhile, the boat is on a dolly in my garage. I had the cav plates cleaned and powder coated and have since installed all the cav hardware (mounting plates, turn buckes, pillow blocks, etc).

SteveO rebuilt my casale split case and is sitting on my work bench waiting to be installed. Should begin rigging real soon. I'm gonna need to get some parts and will be purchasing as needed.

MY GOAL........in water river rocket show at Pirates Cove in September.....

Will update this thread as I progress.:thumbup::thumbup::):cool

65Mandella

Reaction score
That is the biggest paint booth I have ever seen!!!!! :)
Looking great!! Glad to see father / son projects like yours... He will always remember doing that with you!!!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What are the raised areas on the hull just outside of the stringers?

attachment.php

RD

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
That is the biggest paint booth I have ever seen!!!!! :)
Looking great!! Glad to see father / son projects like yours... He will always remember doing that with you!!!!

Safety first....it needed to be well ventilated. :D

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
What are the raised areas on the hull just outside of the stringers?

attachment.php

RD

The raised sections are a mixed bag. They consist of both balsa and plywood layers glassed into the boat. Sturdy as hell but aesthetically bad. Per Rick's recommendation, we gelcoated them.

FlatNv

Reaction score
very nice! look forward to your progress.

jayteetrotter

Reaction score
Looking real good G! Did you finish the bunks this weekend? Cant wait to rip the river this summer. Looks like you are on track for pirates cove in september. keep up the good work!

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
I took it easy this weekend only doing minor tasks on my list. I'm still finishing the trailer before I put the boat back on it to finish rigging.

First up were new bunks. I picked up new lumber and carpet then got to work. No in-progress photos but here are the bunks completed.

IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_4003.jpg

IMG_4005.jpg

Finally to end off my weekend of work, I wanted to finish the lights. I needed to add marker lights to the steps.

I drilled out the mounting holes, ditched the white mounting plate, soldered a ground wire to the grounding tab.

IMG_4030.jpg

IMG_4031.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_4034.jpg

IMG_4035A.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4036.jpg
    IMG_4036.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 100

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Trailer is done. Finished the diamond plate on the steps as well as the inner fender boards and carpet. Time to put the boat back on the trailer.

IMG_4120.jpg

IMG_4122.jpg

IMG_4132.jpg

IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4137.jpg

IMG_4138.jpg

poncho

Reaction score
Bitchen thread, you do nice work.:thumbsup

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409432363.857134.jpg

Swapping seals in the stuffing box today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409432418.621442.jpg

I broke off the zerk fitting so had to drill and tap.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409432451.504498.jpg

Done

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409432482.643442.jpg

Installed the prop shaft and new shaft log seals.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409432464.802953.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409432464.802953.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 77

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409432569.609319.jpg

This has been a SSSSLLLLOOOWWWW build, but it's coming along.

1homeblown

Reaction score
:thumbsup
I love builds like this!! Nice work! I've been working on mine since December 2007. Hopefully it will be ready by next year some time.
Again...Nice work :thumbsup

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Figured it was time for an update. LOL. And some damn boating content.

Actually, I stumbled across this old post by accident and thought "holy shit, I totally forgot about this thread".

Long story short, got the boat running. Ran the hell out of her. Blew her up. Rebuilt another FE390 Ford motor and added a blower.

She's no show boat. But damn she's a blast to run.

IMG_E5316.JPG
IMG_2662.jpg
IMG_2657.jpg
IMG_2659.jpg
image0 (6).jpeg

My son and I flying across Elsinore. Sooo fast, we were a blur. 🤣
image0.png

My daughter really digs it too.
image1 (1).jpeg