First Rattler of the year.....

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
I hate snakes.....

20160622_082231.jpg

RCDave

Reaction score
Looks like a sierra pacific rattler. That's the kind we see here in Simi. Killed 2 so far since spring

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Am I correct in asumming it met the edge of a shovel?[emoji15] [emoji15] [emoji15]

TOBTEK

Reaction score
HATE SNAKES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
If a rattle snake bits a grown man, would it make one sick & would it be best to go to an urgent care immediately? Is the venom stronger than a black widow?

Can kill you if not treated very quickly. Their venum will do damage even if treated immediatly!!

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
If a rattle snake bits a grown man, would it make one sick & would it be best to go to an urgent care immediately? Is the venom stronger than a black widow?

If you don't relax and sit still, the venom can get pumped up to your heart and cause cardiac arrest. Friend of my family got bit by a baby rattler on the edge of his property, ran back to the house and dropped down into full cardiac arrest. He almost died.

hallett21

Reaction score
I was always told a baby bite is worse as they cannot control their venom output so they dump 100% into you. Whereas an adult will only put a fraction of their venom into you at a time.

Either way a bite can be lethal. If you were out and alone I imagine a tourniquet above the affected area and remain calm.

OSB is correct that if you were to start running that venom is going right to the heart

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
It's crazy with the amount of heat this year that I am yet to see even one. Not even dead on the road anywhere.

Taboma

Reaction score
"RELAX", damn I love that advise :rolleyes

Killed four so far this year here in N. SD county, most encountered while doing yard work. Been killing these fuckers for the past 25 years I've lived here and my heart gets pumping pretty good just from the encounter, let alone should I get tagged :yikes

So as much as I know I should relax, call 911, chill out and sit down while I await medical help and anticipate what comes next, like death followed by bankruptcy :yikes

Hope I can relax, kinda doubt it :D

PokerRun 388, don't go (Drive) to an urgent care, call 911 and have them get your ass to the emergency room ASAP.

236eagledave

Reaction score
Curious, do the snakes show up in the middle of town much or do you mostly find them around the outskirts and washes? Mostly concerned about my dogs.

Taboma

Reaction score
Curious, do the snakes show up in the middle of town much or do you mostly find them around the outskirts and washes? Mostly concerned about my dogs.

I'm guessing you're talking Havasu with that question. Outskirts, washes, YES. This time of year mostly at night and early AM, they don't like the high temps, especially if you add sun.

Boat-beaches, that's where you and you're dog are most likely to encounter one. They are excellent swimmers, so yup, they're on the islands as well. We've sat on a beach and watched one swim across a large bay hauling ass, come up on the beach close by and lay there warming back up.

So be careful with your dog if you pull up on a nice remote beach somewhere. Check it out carefully before you let fido go romping off !!

Scott E

Reaction score
And that is why we go out with our dog in the backyard with a flashlight at night. Also, I look around before I even open the door.

DickieB

Reaction score
I'm guessing you're talking Havasu with that question. Outskirts, washes, YES. This time of year mostly at night and early AM, they don't like the high temps, especially if you add sun.

Boat-beaches, that's where you and you're dog are most likely to encounter one. They are excellent swimmers, so yup, they're on the islands as well. We've sat on a beach and watched one swim across a large bay hauling ass, come up on the beach close by and lay there warming back up.

So be careful with your dog if you pull up on a nice remote beach somewhere. Check it out carefully before you let fido go romping off !!

If they're excellent swimmers, should one be afraid of being in the water? Have you seen one out in the middle or would you think they'd stay close to shore? Either way....................:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek
I've heard that they are unable to strike if they're in the water 'cause they can't coil up to strike....Does that make sense?

Taboma

Reaction score
Over the years my wife and I have seen several rattlers swimming, usually crossing a bay or heading out to a small near shore island. After you've seen your first, you do tend to check before just diving in anywhere :D But they're on top, so at least during the day they're not that hard to spot. Gopher snakes love to swim as well, seen a few of those, but again not out in the middle.

We've encountered swimming rattlers while exploring on our jet skis, if you get close, they'll turn and head for you, thinking they can crawl out and warm up. When we've turned away, they've always resumed they're previous course, when we approach again, they turn back towards us ---- kinda weird really :eek

I've always been curious as to what motivates them to just take off swimming across a body of water to either the other side or some rock out in the middle ? Perhaps they pick up some scent ?

I don't want to give you the impression that the lake is full of swimming snakes, in over twenty five years we've seen maybe 4 rattlers on the water, plus a couple of gopher snakes. I think it was last year that the Desert Storm raft up had a visitor trying to get up on the swim step, but it wasn't a rattler. That surprised me since the water in April is still pretty chilly.

Taboma

Reaction score
I'm sure their striking distance is greatly reduced --- but I wouldn't assume they can't strike. From my observations they can out swim me, both in speed and endurance :eek BUT, I know I can out swim them under water and if that fails, I'll be walking on water :D

RCDave

Reaction score
Up river ive seen a rattlesnake swim right into the back of a low profile boat! :yikes:yikes:yikes

Taboma

Reaction score
Up river ive seen a rattlesnake swim right into the back of a low profile boat! :yikes:yikes:yikes

Ahhhhhh FUCKKKKKK :yikes:yikes:yikes

Yeah that would have your ass jumping around for sure. Wouldn't be that hard for one to get into most boats with a swim step. BUT, not a thought any of us really wants to contemplate, or spend much time pondering an action plan for a Rattler in the Boat scenario. Real buzz kill for sure :D

During a recent rattler thread the use of a fire extinguisher was mentioned as being effective ---- at least that's something most all of us do have on our boats. Freeze him first, then beat the living shit out of him with it :D

B-rian

Reaction score
Just had some rattle snake training at work last week. They mentioned it's better to have someone take you to the ER if possible, rather than waiting for an ambulance. Also they mentioned to call your hospital on the way so they can prep the anti venom. Apparently it take about a half hour or so to get ready.

Taboma

Reaction score
Just had some rattle snake training at work last week. They mentioned it's better to have someone take you to the ER if possible, rather than waiting for an ambulance. Also they mentioned to call your hospital on the way so they can prep the anti venom. Apparently it take about a half hour or so to get ready.

Good info thanks :thumbsup Anything else you want to pass along please do, and no, I don't play "Hold my beer and watch this" with those bastards :D

Did they happen to mention about insurance coverage for the anti-venom ? I'm retired so I've called Medicare (Retired) and my supplemental provider and all I got was " Oh good question, nobody has ever asked me that before" ---- :grumble:

Medicare rep was rather assuring it would be covered since the A-V is administered by a doc under emergency conditions. But then I've heard that folks with regular insurance were denied full coverage because it was treated as an RX and ended up with one hell of a bill.

So I'm still investigating, need to get the hospital code for the A-V then get back in touch with Medicare. At least if I'm confident it's covered I'll be more relaxed :D

B-rian

Reaction score
Good info thanks :thumbsup Anything else you want to pass along please do, and no, I don't play "Hold my beer and watch this" with those bastards :D

Did they happen to mention about insurance coverage for the anti-venom ? I'm retired so I've called Medicare (Retired) and my supplemental provider and all I got was " Oh good question, nobody has ever asked me that before" ---- :grumble:

Medicare rep was rather assuring it would be covered since the A-V is administered by a doc under emergency conditions. But then I've heard that folks with regular insurance were denied full coverage because it was treated as an RX and ended up with one hell of a bill.

So I'm still investigating, need to get the hospital code for the A-V then get back in touch with Medicare. At least if I'm confident it's covered I'll be more relaxed :D

Nothing about insurance coverage was mentioned. They said the snakes take up to 3 days to replenish their venom, so they don't always release venom every bite especially if it's not to feed or protect itself. I thought that was kind of interesting. If you guys have the Mojave green rattlesnakes out there, those bites are very deadly very quickly.

236eagledave

Reaction score

Thanks for the good info. Yes, was referring to Havasu. We just bought a place in town and will be moving in July. We don't back to a wash and have block walls so hopefully we wont get any in the backyard. My Jack Russell would want to fight it but he is old and not as fast as he thinks he is. Get his ass bitten for sure.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score

Ive been told that if you kill the snake to take it with you to emergency room. It helps them identify the type of snake so they administrr the proper anti venum .... Idunno. Just what i was told

Taboma

Reaction score
Ive been told that if you kill the snake to take it with you to emergency room. It helps them identify the type of snake so they administrr the proper anti venum .... Idunno. Just what i was told

Read the same thing, I suppose under certain circumstances that might be possible, like if you have somebody with you to do the killin. Otherwise, not sure how you'd manage that all while trying to stay relaxed and getting to the ER.

I'd think that would be more important in areas where you've got Mohave Greens, since they can pack both a Neuro and Hemo toxin (Double whammy) :yikes

From a bit of reading I've done, apparently modern anti-venom used in the southwest is made up of a cocktail to treat various bites, not so much venom specific.

I was bit once back in 68', while working as an apprentice electrician during the construction of UCI. Early one morning I picked up an empty box in our storage area, a rattler was coiled up under the box. Fucker got me in the finger, but I was really lucky because as much as it put a groove in my finger callus and left my finger soaked with venom, it didn't penetrate.

Snake wasn't so lucky :D

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score

Had this guy on our boat about 13 years ago. My wife HAD been sitting on the swim step right next to him before I noticed him being there...... (and no, I did not burn the boat. I still have it.... :) )

SNAKE1.JPG

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Read the same thing, I suppose under certain circumstances that might be possible, like if you have somebody with you to do the killin. Otherwise, not sure how you'd manage that all while trying to stay relaxed and getting to the ER.

I'd think that would be more important in areas where you've got Mohave Greens, since they can pack both a Neuro and Hemo toxin (Double whammy) :yikes

From a bit of reading I've done, apparently modern anti-venom used in the southwest is made up of a cocktail to treat various bites, not so much venom specific.

I was bit once back in 68', while working as an apprentice electrician during the construction of UCI. Early one morning I picked up an empty box in our storage area, a rattler was coiled up under the box. Fucker got me in the finger, but I was really lucky because as much as it put a groove in my finger callus and left my finger soaked with venom, it didn't penetrate.

Snake wasn't so lucky :D

I would've died of a heart attack no question !!!:eek

Boschma

Wish I was at the River
Reaction score
Had this guy on our boat about 13 years ago. My wife HAD been sitting on the swim step right next to him before I noticed him being there...... (and no, I did not burn the boat. I still have it.... :) )

View attachment 493646

Pretty sure I'd never get my wife out on the water again if that was her. She gets mad at me even if I run one over on the road. Thinks its going to get flung underneath her car and then end up in our garage later :lmao

Taboma

Reaction score
Scouter, that appears to be a Speckled Rattler, please elaborate on your removal technique, 20 mph in reverse or 60 in forward ? :D

I applaud your calm, don't panic, take pictures ;)

Without question, a whole lot of RDPers will be posting a snake lookout next lake or river trip :eek

BUSTI

Reaction score
Scouter, that appears to be a Speckled Rattler, please elaborate on your removal technique, 20 mph in reverse or 60 in forward ? :D

Without question, a whole lot of RDPers will be posting a snake lookout next lake or river trip :eek

Beat it to death with a paddle would be my method. I can't stand those things.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Beat it to death with a paddle would be my method. I can't stand those things.
I'd probably fling it into the water with the paddle, then use the paddle to fling it as far away as possible. Maybe hit it with the extinguisher first though.

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Tastes just like chicken! :eek

Someday I might get up the nerve to clean and cook one. My daughter has had them and said they are delicious. In the heat of the moment though, I'm not really in hunting for food mode, more like survival mode..... :D

I'd probably fling it into the water with the paddle, then use the paddle to fling it as far away as possible. Maybe hit it with the extinguisher first though.

Close!!!!! I used a ski flag to fling it into the water and it just swam to the other side of the river.....

Taboma

Reaction score
Someday I might get up the nerve to clean and cook one. My daughter has had them and said they are delicious. In the heat of the moment though, I'm not really in hunting for food mode, more like survival mode..... :D

Close!!!!! I used a ski flag to fling it into the water and it just swam to the other side of the river.....

Your ski flag must be a whole lot longer than mine :D

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

That's a good point. I have a giant long ski flag, probably about the length of my oar, I could double whammy that sum' bitch. Lol!

milkmoney

Reaction score
My first thought is , ur freaking crazy to take a pic of that bastard. I would of ran for the hills screaming mommy.

Then I would have had to come back and figure out how to get him off. [emoji202]

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Lake Shasta Memorial Day 2016.

We were cruising back towards Antlers on our final day on the water. I drifted left a bit to miss what I thought was a stick and as it passed the boat I realized it was a snake. At that point I had no idea it was a rattler but I did know that my buddies wife who is terrified of snakes was in the boat and we were all going to get a good laugh. So I turned the boat around, grabbed the flag and put on my best Australian accent and pulled the thing out of the water. If that thing could have kissed me it would have! It was so cold, and so lethargic it would even coil let alone strike. It was in trouble and it knew it. We "played" with him for a few minutes, snapped a few pics, and then drove over to the shore line and flipped it up onto the warm dry bank. It stretched out and turned back at the boat in what almost seemed as a thank you gesture then laid out on the hot bank as we drove off. Pretty cool actually. uploadfromtaptalk1466719178747.jpg

236eagledave

Reaction score

Image1466719017.451899.jpg Image1466719181.100349.jpg

Friends got one while dirt bikin out in Cal City over Thanksgiving. Dressed it out and got the kids to try it.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
ran another one over today , they are all over the place out here at White Sands base :eek

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Pretty sure I'd never get my wife out on the water again if that was her. She gets mad at me even if I run one over on the road. Thinks its going to get flung underneath her car and then end up in our garage later :lmao

Before antilock brakes, I'd lock 'em up and cut the snake in half skidding over him....:skull

I've read a could news articles on cost of some antivenoms. VERY expensive and cost led to issues with insurance. 1 guy didn't have insurance and had a 5 figure bill.:yikes It's info I'd damned well like to know beforehand.

Years ago in south FL I had to take a migrant farm worker to the Naples, FL hospital after he got bit on his nasty ol' bare foot while picking tomatoes. He spoke no english and the farm was picking up he tab on their insurance.

Hospital staff took him inside and it was comical how the 2 nurses and young Dr were not anxious to touch this guys foot. Field hands rarely wore shoes and their calloused feet were covered in nasty dark green liquid fertilizer material mixed with mud from the field. Pretty gross. And the one nurse that spoke spanish had only rudimentary understanding from college classes. This was before we were overpopulated with spanish speaking folks. So communications with the guy wasn't going well.

The emergency staff was now concerned with what type of snake had bit the guy. I told them it was a pygmy rattler which is common and low toxic venom, small fangs so not life threatening in majority of cases. Of course I was questioned how I knew so much about snakes. And I told them you need to know what you might step on so I did my research and made it my business to understand potential reptilian encounters. Still they drug out the jars of snakes preserved for ID and had me look things over. I told them I could do them one better, hold on, and I'll be right back.

So I go out to the truck and grab the dead snake wrapped in newspaper, bring it in, and drop it on the counter in front of the folks......The young college spanish speaker can't handle the sight and faints dead away.:skull

Taboma

Reaction score
Before antilock brakes, I'd lock 'em up and cut the snake in half skidding over him....:skull

I've read a could news articles on cost of some antivenoms. VERY expensive and cost led to issues with insurance. 1 guy didn't have insurance and had a 5 figure bill.:yikes It's info I'd damned well like to know beforehand.

Years ago in south FL I had to take a migrant farm worker to the Naples, FL hospital after he got bit on his nasty ol' bare foot while picking tomatoes. He spoke no english and the farm was picking up he tab on their insurance.

Hospital staff took him inside and it was comical how the 2 nurses and young Dr were not anxious to touch this guys foot. Field hands rarely wore shoes and their calloused feet were covered in nasty dark green liquid fertilizer material mixed with mud from the field. Pretty gross. And the one nurse that spoke spanish had only rudimentary understanding from college classes. This was before we were overpopulated with spanish speaking folks. So communications with the guy wasn't going well.

The emergency staff was now concerned with what type of snake had bit the guy. I told them it was a pygmy rattler which is common and low toxic venom, small fangs so not life threatening in majority of cases. Of course I was questioned how I knew so much about snakes. And I told them you need to know what you might step on so I did my research and made it my business to understand potential reptilian encounters. Still they drug out the jars of snakes preserved for ID and had me look things over. I told them I could do them one better, hold on, and I'll be right back.

So I go out to the truck and grab the dead snake wrapped in newspaper, bring it in, and drop it on the counter in front of the folks......The young college spanish speaker can't handle the sight and faints dead away.:skull

With all the news coverage hype regarding the huge and often unexplained all over the board cost of anti-venom, I figured finding info regarding insurance coverage easy, not so it seems.
I was extremely frustrated that after a couple of hours of phone calls to my medicare and supplemental insurance agent, then supplemental provider, then finally medicare, I still couldn't get a definitive answer. The best I got was "It should be covered" because the anti-venom is being administered by a doctor as emergency treatment --- Oh Great :grumble:

I did get a big chuckle however, that with each call placed, almost the first response to my question was "Have you been bitten" :D As if I was checking prior to calling 911 to decide if I was going to get treatment or tough it out :eek

With all the press coverage, what did surprise me, every person I spoke with stated that they'd never been asked.

After re-reading one of the lengthy press articles hyping the huge costs and triple figure hospital bill, at the very end it did mention that this particular patient (I believe it was the gentleman from North Carolina) apparently ended up owing $ 5,400 or so, for deductible and something not fully covered by Blue Cross. I don't know if Medicare was involved.

I hope I never find out :D

If anybody else follows up further or writes health insurance and gets a definitive answer, please post it on here. :thumbsup