WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

First RPM by Lavey Craft

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Just wish they were putting a big blower motor in it!!!

Could be - This client has 4 mills to choose from he already owns.

I know two stout ones (1000+hp) are at boostpower now.

Well for Alexi that's moderate power, for just about everyone else 1K is pretty stout.

UD

Reactions: DWC

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The new gunwhale molds are finished and prepped for shooting.

UD

IMG_7243.jpg

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Ronnie kills me with the shorts and maybe a shirt in a boat shop - Id be itching like crazy I guess 30 years makes your skin either immune.

UD

IMG_7283.JPG

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Wonder why the #6 rather than an IMCO or similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gelcoater

Reaction score
yup a 6 is a bit harder to turn - like an SCX is .....

700's might as well have a dial on the side that starts at 7 and goes up from there.

UD
Harder to turn for sure, bigger shafts, bigger gears, etc. but also more surface area against the water.
I think that part is more detrimental than the bigger gears?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Harder to turn for sure, bigger shafts, bigger gears, etc. but also more surface area against the water.

I would think it depends on the lower for surface area, but there is likely a bit more on the 6 than standard bravos but its thinner than the 1st gen scx lower.

The length of the skeg and general thickness of the bullet contribute for sure.

With a dual downshaft lower you can keep it thin and still be stronger than a single shaft deal.

UD

lavey jr

Reaction score

More surface area against the water if you mount it like a bravo drive. But a #6 is a surface drive and when correctly setup, only thing in the water at speed is the skag and half the prop, maybe a slight amount of the bottom of the bullet. I'll attach a couple pics, they aren't that good of pictures but you can still see what I mean.
Also, Mercury claims less HP loss with a #6 setup due to its dry sump setup

IMG_6469.JPG
IMG_6467.jpg

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Howard Arneson figured it out....3-9 on the downside moves the boat the rest churns water.

$$$$ dollar props..

I saw the hole cut yesterday - its higher than giraffe pussy so we know how this rig is going to roll.......

UD

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
yup a 6 is a bit harder to turn - like an SCX is .....

700's might as well have a dial on the side that starts at 7 and goes up from there.

UD
I want to say it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 HP to turn a we sumpped #6. A dry #6 is like 20 HP. I am going from memory but the difference is yuge.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I read the same -

There was a great thread on OSO that broke down several drives on a spin dyno and I recall it being about 100 Hp to turn it like 6K.

There is some differing consensus on this drive - one source tells me this in an M6 drive which would mean its dry sump if I have that part right.

img_6473_a321fd7876b0005f8f11d2a6fb52feeb204c0314.jpg

lavey jr

Reaction score
I read the same -

There was a great thread on OSO that broke down several drives on a spin dyno and I recall it being about 100 Hp to turn it like 6K.

There is some differing consensus on this drive - one source tells me this in an M6 drive which would mean its dry sump if I have that part right.

View attachment 720901

Yes it is a M6, aka #6 drive. While yes it is a "dry sump" its more like a semi-dry sump. The lower is almost entirely submerged in oil with the internal scavenge pump in the nose cone that pumps oil to the sprayers in the upper

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I read the same -

View attachment 720901
I think all # 6 drives now are dry. The wet drives have a different skeg. The back of the skeg is curved forward and the wet sump is angled backwards...see pic.

img_7429-jpg.527102

Lavey 29

Reaction score
And for the record again. IMCO and Merc Racing have outdrive dyno s. I can not find my IMCO info all about their outdrive testing dyno. Here is a pic of Merc racing testing dyno. I believe Merc racing has the pics deleted for copyright laws and the comp not to steal their ideas. They Merc Racing do the same for their SB s and service manuals that are posted online.
mercury racing outdrive dybo.jpg
Anyways here is the pic of it.

575cat

Reaction score
I dont know why they call them dry I still put 5 quarts of fluid in them .

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Been away from the shop for a while.

Engine and drive pulled from the grey boat and the transom holes sealed and super cleared - it's at upholstery and out of the shop and will finish up when it gets back.

I'll try to get more pics this week of the red boat.

A new redline build has been started as well a twin 400 boat- molds staying busy. As soon as I know more about it Ill start another thread.

UD

IMG_7584.jpg
IMG_7583.jpg
IMG_7582.jpg

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
Been away from the shop for a while.

Engine and drive pulled from the grey boat and the transom holes sealed and super cleared - it's at upholstery and out of the shop and will finish up when it gets back.

I'll try to get more pics this week of the red boat.

A new redline build has been started as well a twin 400 boat- molds staying busy. As soon as I know more about it Ill start another thread.

UD

View attachment 735070 View attachment 735071 View attachment 735072
Looks awsome. How are they finishing the bilge? The Standard Lavey way? Finished Gel and panels?

lavey jr

Reaction score
Looks awsome. How are they finishing the bilge? The Standard Lavey way? Finished Gel and panels?

Hybrid between the standard Lavey style and the RPM style. Finished clear gel coated areas showing the core material and also finished fiberglass gel coated floorboard panels. There will be very little wiring and rigging showing. But even though there are panels hiding the rigging, if you remove those panels the rigging will still be top notch and not just thrown in the cavity.

In progress example from the grey carbon boat. All RPM by Lavey Craft will be this way, unless requested different by the customer.

IMG_6562.JPG

lavey jr

Reaction score
Looks killer.

Not knowing all what it takes, but does building one of these typically take a year?

No, not typically. This build is a little bit different than our normal builds.

The customer that owns this boat also owns the previous RPM with the Mercury 700 and #6 drive that Lavey finished, and he still currently owns that boat. The power package (engine/drive) was provided by the customer and a few other parts are also provided by the customer. So with owning two brand new boats, one finished and one in production, you can see why his second boat is in no rush to be finished. Also, with the customer having his other completed RPM he has decided to change quite a few things along the way on this current build which delays and sets back the completion time in order to tailor the build to be better than his previous.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Moving along...last I heard boat was at imco getting tails installed.

I've relocated up to Northern Cal and dont get to the shop a whole lot anymore.

Lavey Jr will take over updates for the most part.
He posts all over... Facebook, twitter and various boating sites.

I spent most of my time on RPD and dont like facebook and twitter so didnt go there much..

UD

lavey jr

Reaction score
The boat is pretty close.
Received a nice shipment today from Teague and Livorsi to finish out the engine plumbing and also the cockpit accessories. Exhaust tails are in production at Imco. Then finish the interior plus stereo install. This stereo setup will be a little different from the last one. It has two deck side hatches that have speaker pods under the two deck hatches that are facing the front of the boat so you can hear your tunes while relaxing on the beach.

99EA65DE-789B-46B6-BD34-B33D0028870B.jpeg
90CB007A-3C4B-498A-90CF-F416539B92C9.jpeg
1F0120C0-8CAD-4FD1-80E4-E01683D9A79C.jpeg
45F7F179-41DB-48EC-99D7-331157F642F9.jpeg
1C7FB2C6-25F2-4865-A6B6-1AE6052BA2E5.jpeg