WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

First Trip in new to us float & First LEO experience while carrying

LC925

Reaction score
So we had an awesome Havasu weekend out on the lake Friday and Saturday. We took the new to us float and got confirmation our 8 month old loves the water. She even found her own place to hang out in to stay out of the sun. She loves the water itself, but doesn’t care much for sun directly to her face lol.

9C181BDF-FAF6-4CA7-922E-1F50A75E8AB3.jpeg
683887BF-0B01-4F02-902C-CF1C51DD059B.jpeg

Sunday, time to head home towing the boat. Usual path, take Desert Center the 62/177 to the 10. After the bug check point got a Good Samaritan flash the high beams, slowed down to 62 and continued. 5 miles up, pass a CHP off to the side waiting to provide “service” to someone. Cool kept going. Cruising speed got up to 75 with the flow of the crowd. About another 10 miles through the ups and downs and guess what I see coming at me lol another CHP. I knew I was got! 🤷🏻‍♂️ See him flipping a u’y so I start to slow down and pull over. I haven’t had any LEO encounters since I’ve had my CCW so I won’t lie, I got a bit nervous since you never know what kind of day they have had or training or the experience of “hey I got a gun on me”. Upon being lit up, I pulled my license and CCW card out to not go reaching while on the hook and put the gun in my door so it’s not visible as he walks up and startle him.

CHP: Clocked you at 75 in 55 so 20 over while towing

Me: Ok

CHP: Can I have your license, registration and insurance

Me: Here is my license and I also have this card for you

CHP: (looking at what I gave him, realizes it’s a CCW, looks back in the car sees my wife, my baby in a car seat, and two female cousins in the back) are you carrying the 19?

Me: No the EMP

CHP: Where is it?

Me: My driver door

CHP: Ok, leave it there. I don’t see that on here, ohh wait, this 9mm 1911.

Have wife give him registration

Me: I have an electronic copy of my insurance just need to find it.

CHP: It’s ok, I trust you.

Leaves and comes back

CHP: I wrote you up for 60 in 55 and marked non commercial so it doesn’t affect you and you can do traffic school.

Then continued to just BS about other things before sending us on our way and to have a good rest of the day & be safe. Guy seemed eager to just talk to someone lol. I would have gladly chatted for a bit with out the ticket but over all, he was super respectful and just doing his job. Throughout being pulled over, I think he noticed I had my hands at the steering wheel as to show I’m no threat without having to be asked. Aside from the speeding ticket, I don’t think the full experience could have been any smoother. So thanks if you’re on this forum!
41232AA6-9EA1-41B9-8978-31DBDCBF3041.jpeg

DWC

Reaction score
So we had an awesome Havasu weekend out on the lake Friday and Saturday. We took the new to us float and got confirmation our 8 month old loves the water. She even found her own place to hang out in to stay out of the sun. She loves the water itself, but doesn’t care much for sun directly to her face lol.

View attachment 871017 View attachment 871018

Sunday, time to head home towing the boat. Usual path, take Desert Center the 62/177 to the 10. After the bug check point got a Good Samaritan flash the high beams, slowed down to 62 and continued. 5 miles up, pass a CHP off to the side waiting to provide “service” to someone. Cool kept going. Cruising speed got up to 75 with the flow of the crowd. About another 10 miles through the ups and downs and guess what I see coming at me lol another CHP. I knew I was got! 🤷🏻‍♂️ See him flipping a u’y so I start to slow down and pull over. I haven’t had any LEO encounters since I’ve had my CCW so I won’t lie, I got a bit nervous since you never know what kind of day they have had or training or the experience of “hey I got a gun on me”. Upon being lit up, I pulled my license and CCW card out to not go reaching while on the hook and put the gun in my door so it’s not visible as he walks up and startle him.

CHP: Clocked you at 75 in 55 so 20 over while towing

Me: Ok

CHP: Can I have your license, registration and insurance

Me: Here is my license and I also have this card for you

CHP: (looking at what I gave him, realizes it’s a CCW, looks back in the car sees my wife, my baby in a car seat, and two female cousins in the back) are you carrying the 19?

Me: No the EMP

CHP: Where is it?

Me: My driver door

CHP: Ok, leave it there. I don’t see that on here, ohh wait, this 9mm 1911.

Have wife give him registration

Me: I have an electronic copy of my insurance just need to find it.

CHP: It’s ok, I trust you.

Leaves and comes back

CHP: I wrote you up for 60 in 55 and marked non commercial so it doesn’t affect you and you can do traffic school.

Then continued to just BS about other things before sending us on our way and to have a good rest of the day & be safe. Guy seemed eager to just talk to someone lol. I would have gladly chatted for a bit with out the ticket but over all, he was super respectful and just doing his job. Throughout being pulled over, I think he noticed I had my hands at the steering wheel as to show I’m no threat without having to be asked. Aside from the speeding ticket, I don’t think the full experience could have been any smoother. So thanks if you’re on this forum! View attachment 871024
Inside looks as clean as outside. Getting used to the bigger ride yet?

CobraDave

Reaction score
Sounds like it went pretty smooth. I’m always nervous towing over 70 mph. I usually keep it at 65-70. That’s probably what caught his eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LC925

Reaction score
Inside looks as clean as outside. Getting used to the bigger ride yet?
Yes definitely going to need the seat time to get to know the docking manners. Went for Big Sticks at Havasu Springs for the wife and cousins, definitely looked like rookie. Then realized the Bimini was up and the Friday wind wasn’t helping. Wife was more than pleased with how it handled the white caps on the water Friday. Saturday it was a Cadillac with the calmer weather.

LC925

Reaction score
Sounds like it went pretty smooth. I’m always nervous towing over 70 mph. I usually keep it at 65-70. That’s probably what caught his eye.

Yeah I usually do 67, but this trailer having a triple axles, is steady as heck and found myself creeping faster. Didn’t help I was trying to get to the last stop sign before the 10 to change a diaper lol. The babies, Not mine to be clear 😆

locogringo

Yo Mama
Reaction score
Sounds like a good weekend.

Not sure if you know about it or not but I always have the Waze app on my phone on, in the background.

Not 100% bulletproof but does help a lot when there is shiat on the road (debris), cars on the shoulder that are stopped, and most importantly if an office is ahead of you that another “Wazer” put into the app for others.

DWC

Reaction score
Yes definitely going to need the seat time to get to know the docking manners. Went for Big Sticks at Havasu Springs for the wife and cousins, definitely looked like rookie. Then realized the Bimini was up and the Friday wind wasn’t helping. Wife was more than pleased with how it handled the white caps on the water Friday. Saturday it was a Cadillac with the calmer weather.
We went from a 21’ Nautique to a Magic. Definitely a different animal but an unbelievable difference. It would be tough to move away from a cat of some sort for Havasu. Get the seat time before getting too aggressive is my 2cents. The biggest pain in the ass are the wipe downs in the summer heat. The extra glass is a SOB. Especially when the wife needs to take care of the kid.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
We went from a 21’ Nautique to a Magic. Definitely a different animal but an unbelievable difference. It would be tough to move away from a cat of some sort for Havasu. Get the seat time before getting too aggressive is my 2cents. The biggest pain in the ass are the wipe downs in the summer heat. The extra glass is a SOB. Especially when the wife needs to take care of the kid.

Now that you have the house just wipe it down in the evenings in the garage with a cocktail.

I don’t even bother with anything at the marina any more, I just secure everything for the ride home, and unload the boat in the garage.

DWC

Reaction score
Now that you have the house just wipe it down in the evenings in the garage with a cocktail.

I don’t even bother with anything at the marina any more, I just secure everything for the ride home, and unload the boat in the garage.
100% the plan. It’s a way tougher deal to wipe down after pulling it out and taking it to storage. There were times when it’s 110ish and i thought i did a good job wiping down. I’d pick it up the next trip and cringe. We had quite a few trips over the last several year s with just Steph and I. Hoping/planning for more help this season. :)

LC925

Reaction score

That was the biggest surprise, it wasn’t as bad as I expected to clean. But then again, we keep it clean as we go. Usually wife cleans the inside while I clean the glass. But yes, my RDP hat soaked up some hard work and it was only what 103?! Lol

Reactions: DWC

LC925

Reaction score

Lol this is next in the sights... just gotta start making the average RDP’ers wages to afford it 😝 my minimum wage only goes so far! Good for those that can... I’m hoping for sooner than later.

LC925

Reaction score
Yup , the officer is nick shirts , he’s a boat guy . Good guy 👍🏻

Yup, hats off to him. Professional!

Kicking myself in the butt for not putting on the RDP hat after being lit up... might have helped 🤷🏻‍♂️

Rjt01

Reaction score
Nah , he’s a good guy but if u are speeding on rice road u will get a ticket . Don’t blame him as the poor guy has to deal with all the bad shit that happens on that road .

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Saw 3 CHP cars ready to help out, Monday on my way home on the 62 portion. :cool:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
San Bernardino county told me not having the weapon on you while others are in the car with you was a big no no. He could have gave you shit for that as well. Just an FYI

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
San Bernardino county told me not having the weapon on you while others are in the car with you was a big no no. He could have gave you shit for that as well. Just an FYI

I'm sure if he would have popped a "fuck you pig" attitude thing could have been different. :D

One quick question, not knowing much about Cali CCW permits, do you have to list each gun you are allowed to carry? If yes, one lesson hete is to make sure you call it out by the type on the permit instead of its make and model. I've know more than a few cops that weren't weapon geeks.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I'm sure if he would have popped a "fuck you pig" attitude thing could have been different. :D

One quick question, not knowing much about Cali CCW permits, do you have to list each gun you are allowed to carry? If yes, one lesson hete is to make sure you call it out by the type on the permit instead of its make and model. I've know more than a few cops that weren't weapon geeks.

I think we are allowed 3 or 5. I forget. I have 2 both Smith and Wesson. You have to provide serial numbers so exact model probably isn’t a big deal.
This reminds me I have renewal thi$ year.

robby dmax

Reaction score

yes you can only have 5 on your card!

LawDog88

Reaction score
Thanks for the comment brother. End of the day, I have a job to do. As a fellow boater I just try to make it as smooth as possible and get you back on your way. The new boat is beautiful btw, hopefully that tire was good the rest of the way. Remember what I told you about emergency response while traveling with your family 😉 hopefully one day this summer we’ll meet up on the water and enjoy a beer or two.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Nick Handed me a driving award a few years ago on my way to the Enduro...then flagged me down a year or so later to help another motorist with a flat. Both experiences were as good as they could have been. He's one of the good guys.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I think we are allowed 3 or 5. I forget. I have 2 both Smith and Wesson. You have to provide serial numbers so exact model probably isn’t a big deal.

In OC you can have unlimited, but only 5 on your card. So if you have more than 5 you have to carry around this supplemental sheet of paper with your card.

Tank0088

Reaction score
It’s amazing how smooth things go when a responsible adult follows simple directions even if he has a gun in the vehicle. Sorry you got a ticket but Thanks for doing the right things.

LC925

Reaction score
Well the head detective that now handles it, put it this way to our class:

If you are alone in the vehicle you can put it anywhere in your reach but NOT the glove box lol.

If there are others in your vehicle, it can only be accesible to you and not in the reach to others.

Thanks for the heads up, for the most part, it is always at my 12 O’clock unless I’m alone or just the wife in the car.

LC925

Reaction score

Agree. But “EMP” is listed on the serial # so it is listed on the license.

San Bernardino is 3 total. Riverside is 5.

LC925

Reaction score
Thanks for the comment brother. End of the day, I have a job to do. As a fellow boater I just try to make it as smooth as possible and get you back on your way. The new boat is beautiful btw, hopefully that tire was good the rest of the way. Remember what I told you about emergency response while traveling with your family 😉 hopefully one day this summer we’ll meet up on the water and enjoy a beer or two.
Would love to have a beer with you some day, but definitely just one! As you saw, that Class A puts me at a .04 so not even worth it. And yes, the wife and I spoke about what you mentioned, kids going to one hospital and adults to another. Definitely food for thought there. The tire was actually good luckily. I think being on the shoulder at an angel might have just had more pressure on that front axle. I checked air pressure on all and they checked out. Thanks for the boat compliment, the wife is pleased with it for sure. Thanks again for the professionalism!

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Agree. But “EMP” is listed on the serial # so it is listed on the license.

San Bernardino is 3 total. Riverside is 5.

Ok, that makes sense. I didn't know how they were listed. Good to know!

LC925

Reaction score
Ventura is 5 on the card and no changing till you renew

Same with San Bernardino. You can drop off at any time, but can’t add until renewal time.
On a side note, has anyone received a letter stating they are extending years between the renewal? I had a Riverside buddy state he got a letter that due to COVID, he will automatically be extended to 5 years rather than 3. San Berdo is only 2 years.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
we have quite a few leos on here that I know and all of them are awesome dudes! most of them are lurkers....cept for that flybywire guy hess a real dick! :p

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
we have quite a few leos on here that I know and all of them are awesome dudes! most of them are lurkers....cept for that flybywire guy hess a real dick! :p

Aw go on. [emoji3059][emoji3059]

JD D05

Reaction score
Only thing I do different which may not be a good idea not sure is place both my hands outside my window as they approach.

Icky

Reaction score
Only thing I do different which may not be a good idea not sure is place both my hands outside my window as they approach.
I usually do the same as well as roll down the windows in my truck.

jlostit89

Reaction score
Travelling Rice Road a few months ago around 5 in the afternoon on a Thursday..rolling around 85 like we have for years and coming around a corner the radar detector goes off and Officer Shierts lights me up. I pull over in about 10 seconds and he comes up to my door and was the most professional CHP stop I've had. Calm and easy to talk too..Took my info and wrote me up so I could go to traffic school. Talked with us for a while about traveling Rice and how with the emergency services changing it would take hours if something were to happen..respected the experience and thanked him for the info.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
What is the current cost and class time for a CWP in Cali?

LC925

Reaction score
Travelling Rice Road a few months ago around 5 in the afternoon on a Thursday..rolling around 85 like we have for years and coming around a corner the radar detector goes off and Officer Shierts lights me up. I pull over in about 10 seconds and he comes up to my door and was the most professional CHP stop I've had. Calm and easy to talk too..Took my info and wrote me up so I could go to traffic school. Talked with us for a while about traveling Rice and how with the emergency services changing it would take hours if something were to happen..respected the experience and thanked him for the info.

Yup, that’s the same great info he provided us with as well. Got the wife and I talking about it on the way home.

LC925

Reaction score
What is the current cost and class time for a CWP in Cali?

8 hour class on a Saturday with a shooting qualification. However the program is on hold at the moment due to the current situation. A buddies class got postponed twice and finally canceled indefinitely until further notice.
4349217B-7E64-4B47-B9A1-72059148B4EF.jpeg