WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

First try at a gel scheme

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Got a new set of colored pencils, thought i would give it a shot. Trying to move a little bit away from the current blues reds whites
Dark top is supposed to be a med dk grey, main body a light grey, purple and orange are meat to be a pearl.
Too much??
Too bright?

rendering 1.jpg

Screenshot 2021-02-18 173415.jpg

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Nice.
I would go with a thinner strip on the tip of bow. Maybe just come to a point?
Good job.

calkid

Reaction score
Unless you plan on capping the entire hull, it looks like any rub rail will interrupt some your nice art work at a couple of the color transition lines.
Love the colors and lay out.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Unless you plan on capping the entire hull, it looks like any rub rail will interrupt some your nice art work at a couple of the color transition lines.
Love the colors and lay out.

no capping, the rub rail is going to be right at the top of the middle orange "swoosh?" the front and rear purple swooshes do cross over the rub rail.
I do need to draw the rail in on the base drawing

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Got a new set of colored pencils, thought i would give it a shot. Trying to move a little bit away from the current blues reds whites
Dark top is supposed to be a med dk grey, main body a light grey, purple and orange are meat to be a pearl.
Too much??
Too bright?

View attachment 974210

View attachment 974211
Who’s going to do it?
What mfg?
I can’t read the small print in the colors. Is it off of a gelcoat color chart?
That purple just below the windshield may be a challenge in the mold depending on what boat it is. Clearance in there could be narrow.

SW_GLASS

Reaction score
Who’s going to do it?
What mfg?
That purple just below the windshield may be a challenge in the mold depending on what boat it is. Clearance in there could be narrow.
Looks to me like a Howard 255 VTX.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Who’s going to do it?
What mfg?

Howard 255
The colors are NOT off a gel coat chart, do you have a link to a gel coat color chart? Figured you might Know🤔
Not an actual windshield, that is a standard color band they do on most all 255s

I was trying to include some of their normal stuff so they don't laugh too much!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Howard 255
The colors are NOT off a gel coat chart, do you have a link to a gel coat color chart? Figured you might Know🤔
Not an actual windshield, that is a standard color band they do on most all 255s

I was trying to include some of their normal stuff so they don't laugh too much!
I’d suggest asking Gene or Mike what gelcoat they use, and start from there.
They can add dry pearls to get something cool but it may not ever match some automotive paints with liquid pearl/additives.

You should sit down and talk with them. Show them your sketches. Show them pics of graphics you like. Colors you like.
They do this for a living.
More info you give them, the more they can fulfill your dreams.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I’d suggest asking Gene or Mike what gelcoat they use, and start from there.
They can add dry pearls to get something cool but it may not ever match some automotive paints with liquid pearl/additives.

You should sit down and talk with them. Show them your sketches. Show them pics of graphics you like. Colors you like.
They do this for a living.
More info you give them, the more they can fulfill your dreams.

I have talked with Gene and Mike, they said exactly what you said. However I didn't realize that creating different colors in "gel" would be so different from automotive paint so I did not ask what gel, I will. I am still a ways out before its my "turn" so they sent me a scale drawing just to play around with.
Probably more like "give the kid a toy and hope he goes into the corner and plays quietly until his turn!!" If nothing else I can use this thread for posterity to look back and say "I started with that?"

BUSTI

Reaction score
I like it. Maybe a little more purple on top somewhere? Congrats

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I would do much longer and fewer lines. Like this. View attachment 974250 View attachment 974251

That top pic is the scheme, or very similar, that I see on most of the 255s I have been able to find pics of. I was looking to be a little more "different?" which may not be better. There is a video of that top one that was the final piece to deciding to get the 255, the opening of the video has it idling in a turn and the exhaust acoustic was pitch perfect and the rear swim platform just off the water, got my wife to say YES!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
To swoopy. Straight bold lines will never look dated

Howard thinks along those lines as well, I am starting V2 with straight lines. As far as going out of date, with my luck my expiration date will probably come first!!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
The purple DCB used in 2008-2010(maybe before) range was sofa king sexy. It’s literally the prettiest color candy purple imho, if i had the $$ I’d ditch the orange pins on my boat for that purple.
AA8F407A-9078-4513-88DC-CF8888FD8452.jpeg

And here’s as i was searching for a photo of the purple a gel scheme i saw that kinda rolls with your first rendering.
Just short the multiple colors, but help you possibly with the picture in your head.
B7100C58-58EE-4D5F-B405-3960084BC0F4.jpeg

v6toy4x

Reaction score
The purple DCB used in 2008-2010(maybe before) range was sofa king sexy. It’s literally the prettiest color candy purple imho, if i had the $$ I’d ditch the orange pins on my boat for that purple. View attachment 974302
And here’s as i was searching for a photo of the purple a gel scheme i saw that kinda rolls with your first rendering.
Just short the multiple colors, but help you possibly with the picture in your head.
View attachment 974303

I saw either that DCB or a similar one which lead me to combining the orange and purple, you are right about there being a certain purple that works, like transparent and deep??

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Picking out gel is a fun but stressful part of building a new boat. I have done this on 3 boats so far and have had slightly different approaches with each one. I will say that I was most happy with the gel on the boat where I gave the gelcoater 3-4 photos of gel schemes that had the look that I wanted, talked about colors I wanted and a few specific features that I wanted and let him run with it. It seems like it helps to have trust in the artist and let him go.

Last edited:

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I saw either that DCB or a similar one which lead me to combining the orange and purple, you are right about there being a certain purple that works, like transparent and deep??
Transparent and Deep almost seems like an oxymoron, yet is almost the perfect way to describe it. It’s just a beautiful color. I’ll keep looking for a photo but maybe @Gelcoater will be able to help.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Transparent and Deep almost seems like an oxymoron, yet is almost the perfect way to describe it. It’s just a beautiful color. I’ll keep looking for a photo but maybe @Gelcoater will be able to help.
7E2345B7-24BB-436A-864D-7952C99DF2D9.png

Is R-29 on the Ran chart.
It’s not a “candy” color, there isn’t really a candy gelcoat.
The fade on the above DCB is this purple, faded to the same purple with a little white in it. So the level of color transition is entirely in how much white is added by the gelcoat guy.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Picking out gel is a fun but stressful part of building a new boat. I have done this on 3 boats so fat and have slightly different approaches. I will say that I was most happy with the gel on the boat where I gave the gelcoater 3-4 photos of gel schemes that had the look that I wanted, talked about colors I wanted and a few specific features that I wanted and let him run with it. It seems like it helps to have trust in the artist and let him go.

So true on many levels, this is our first new boat where we get to pick. Needless to say this part is the one I was the most "unsure" about. Quite frankly if you screw up the gel it dont matter what drive package or sound system you put in it you wont be happy, you wont want to just sit back and look at it over a cocktail. Gene at howard did say play around and send my sketches, colors and pics of others as you alluded and Mike knows what look right for the boat. So ultimately it will be his design and I am 100% we will love it. In the meantime I am having fun reverting back to kindergarten with my fancy box of crayons!

This is one I really like as far as colors and scheme and will be one that I ask them to put their spin on.

1B3EBC09-7C66-4527-8909-8039E19727BA.jpeg

v6toy4x

Reaction score
View attachment 974314

Is R-29 on the Ran chart.
It’s not a “candy” color, there isn’t really a candy gelcoat.
The fade on the above DCB is this purple, faded to the same purple with a little white in it. So the level of color transition is entirely in how much white is added by the gelcoat guy.

That is it, so the "fade" is a tweak/application technique? As mentioned above this process is both "exciting" and very "un settling" at the same time, don't rellay get a second chance do you?? Once I am next in line for the mold I plan on a visit to Howard and dial it in. My problem no is I am IMPATIENT!!!!!!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Not to fill the thread, but more with those colors.
View attachment 974325

Is this on the web somewhere I cant get it to blow up without major distortion, the sharp V at the rear is very similar to what howard does on the 255, I would like to include this one for them to reference

Maybe a link to the pic please? thanks

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Don't go too crazy. Older boats that are less trendy in their design seem to hold their attraction longer.
Simpler will have more longevity...

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
This^. I was in your shoes in 2015. I was a painters apprentice and designed graphics too back in the late 80’s on boats, jetski’s, helmets, Justin cars you name it. I did the exact same thing you are attempting but my design never looked as good as Mike’s original design he had just done on a prior boat. So after 3 attempts I conceded by starting with Mike’s design and tweaking the things I thought could be improved. As a result, I split and stretched a few stripes, added drop shadows to be consistent with the rest of his design and using a negative graphic (white) approach. Mike has been doing this for a long time and knows the lines and flow of the boat in the water better than anyone. I would highly recommend the gray base over silver which can come out a little splotchy (which I had to have redone) in some places that were obvious deep on the light. Colors you are working with are awesome and really pop. I suggest playing around with pin lines too which can make all the difference. Enjoy your new art supplies and embrace the process. Here is what we ended with. Still gets a thumbs up when parked.
IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

v6toy4x

Reaction score
This^. I was in your shoes in 2015. I was a painters apprentice and designed graphics too back in the late 80’s on boats, jetski’s, helmets, Justin cars you name it. I did the exact same thing you are attempting but my design never looked as good as Mike’s original design he had just done on a prior boat. So after 3 attempts I conceded by starting with Mike’s design and tweaking the things I thought could be improved. As a result, I split and stretched a few stripes, added drop shadows to be consistent with the rest of his design and using a negative graphic (white) approach. Mike has been doing this for a long time and knows the lines and flow of the boat in the water better than anyone. I would highly recommend the gray base over silver which can come out a little splotchy (which I had to have redone) in some places that were obvious deep on the light. Colors you are working with are awesome and really pop. I suggest playing around with pin lines too which can make all the difference. Enjoy your new art supplies and embrace the process. Here is what we ended with. Still gets a thumbs up when parked. View attachment 974373
View attachment 974374
View attachment 974375

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant even comprehend where a person starts off to come up with these designs, its beautiful but I sure can't find the starting spot. Probably what makes it so eye catching.

I think at least the consensus is the colors are "doable" scheme needs work. Mike will make it right! I just need them to build a second 255 mold so they can do twice as many!!

I suppose wanting it right versus right now needs to prevail! It is pretty fun though!

kurtis500

Reaction score
The purple and orange stripe coming off the bow tip will look like they spread really wide then come together if viewed from the front. Looking from the front it the feature may appear tall and like a loop, like an infinity sign. Bring the together if you can. My opinion.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
The purple and orange stripe coming off the bow tip will look like they spread really wide then come together if viewed from the front. Looking from the front it the feature may appear tall and like a loop, like an infinity sign. Bring the together if you can. My opinion.

You almost need a 3d drawing to calculate the other views as you mentioned. I was warned to watch the different contour lines and the rubrail, many more renderings to go. Most all of this is just occupying my time until our boat is next in the que, then we will get serious with Mike at Howard and let him do what he does. Until then I will doodle away!

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Mike and Gene are going to be very excited to do a boat that isn’t blue. Mike is really incredible and coming up with and making these gel schemes.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Mike and Gene are going to be very excited to do a boat that isn’t blue. Mike is really incredible and coming up with and making these gel schemes.

I sent gene one pic of the Nordic in one of my previous posts, with a purple and orange brushout. When I called him back a week later to go over the options list his first comment was it has been along time since we did purple! Followed up by "we will do what ever YOU like". So I am not real sure where he falls on the purple!!! I love talking to that guy, we got onto AT&T and other boat stuff last time and I forgot half the questions I wanted to ask. Hmmmmmmmm, maybe that is a strategy!!

Do you have any new pics yet, is that upholstery in yet, you're holding me up 🍻

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I sent gene one pic of the Nordic in one of my previous posts, with a purple and orange brushout. When I called him back a week later to go over the options list his first comment was it has been along time since we did purple! Followed up by "we will do what ever YOU like". So I am not real sure where he falls on the purple!!! I love talking to that guy, we got onto AT&T and other boat stuff last time and I forgot half the questions I wanted to ask. Hmmmmmmmm, maybe that is a strategy!!

Do you have any new pics yet, is that upholstery in yet, you're holding me up 🍻

Not yet. It takes a ton of patience to build a boat.. we are just as excited.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I am no expert on these things and seems like good advice coming in. The only recommendation I have is if using purple, which I love, and orange, is lime green pins would look kick ass against both colors I think, really set it off. However, the gelcoater is the real artist and will have recommendations on that kind of thing too, let them do their thing, they are the pros.

Englewood

Reaction score
It looks like a 2008-2020 boat in my opinion. Not trying to be a jerk but it looks like most other boats out there.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
That is it, so the "fade" is a tweak/application technique? As mentioned above this process is both "exciting" and very "un settling" at the same time, don't rellay get a second chance do you?? Once I am next in line for the mold I plan on a visit to Howard and dial it in. My problem no is I am IMPATIENT!!!!!!
Is damn near black in the can.
A drop of white and it turns.
A4FA911F-A733-4541-9D73-B431165CD6A1.jpeg
F476B713-6100-444F-8CFE-A4D9C8C22384.jpeg

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Is damn near black in the can.
A drop of white and it turns.
View attachment 974435 View attachment 974436

Me Like!!
I guess when people call you "gel guys" artists there is a lot to that
If you showed that to me out of the can I would not believe a little white would do that.
I am doodling another scheme with straight graphics trying to use what Mike has done on others I am good until I run out of crayon!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
It looks like a 2008-2020 boat in my opinion. Not trying to be a jerk but it looks like most other boats out there.

No offense taken!
That is part of the problem, trying to find something that is not overly complicated but yet slightly different. Of course we boat in N CA so there isn't near as many of "these" boats just a whole lot of roll bars! you do on occasion see an eliminator/ultra/DCB where we boat, I did see a domin8er 28 deck last year--it was ORANGE!!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
OK I incorporated as many of the comments as I oculd
-Colors are a go, gelcoater has proven the purple I want does in fact exist!
-I took away the catfish whisker
-I went with less is more
-I followed Mikes blueprint from the others I have seen photos of
-I went with ageless straight graphics, they are much easier to draw that's for sure!
-I considered the rub rail AND the water line so as not to loose the graphics below the waterline-
-Leave the base body white?

REV2
REV2.jpg

REV2A, 2A just adds the grey at the "windshield" that Mike seems to put on almost everyone I have seen
REV2A.jpg

Better?
Do I leave the main body white as opposed to the light grey?
With the orange at the rear I was thinking having the 540 come in the mercury orange?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I don’t like the front swoop going down to the bottom.. I’d make that stay at the top.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I don’t like the front swoop going down to the bottom.. I’d make that stay at the top.

Yeah that swoop is out, it was called out as a catfish whisker, I had to agree, I moved to REV2 post #48, incorporating other comments. Most said to do away with the swoops and go to straighter graphics, but the colors seemed OK more or less