WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

'FlashBack Friday' 1962 - Black Meadow Landing - Lake Havasu

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
A few years before I came along.
Mom & Dad used to run out there w/ my Sisters and some family friends to do some camping / waterskiing.

Check out the rigs in the lot !

0.jpg

It's been forever since I've been to Black Meadow . . . I'm guessing that is/was the General Store.

0-3.jpg

My Mom and Dad built this boat together when they lived in Compton.
Dad bought the plans, built the 'Jig', and saved for the wood/fiberglass etc. Then saved and bought the outboard.
Money was tight back then, but it's cool that they were still able to make things happen. Mom even sewed the interior seat cushions.
They ran it for several years, and sold it to a friend who took it back to Arkansas, and then they bought a 'Glaspar'.

Those are my Sisters jumping in & out of the boat.
0-2.jpg

3 at a time was pretty cool back then ! . . . anyways, just thought I'd share a few oldies . . have a good weekend everyone !

0-1.jpg

boatpi

Reaction score
I learned to water ski behind by uncles Owens with an Evinrude outboard in Long beach and on the Salton Sea in the late 1950's. The beginning of fiberglass boats. You dad was one of many that made their own boats from kits. Many were designed in Bellflower area. Glen-L was the largest; https://www.glen-l.com/

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Cool pics!
Haven't been there in probably 25 years. Learned to waterski there in the early 80's. Lot's of good times had there.

RichL

Reaction score
Although I'm originally from Long Island, this really brings back a lot of similar memories from the 50's and 60's.

Great post.

nowski

Reaction score
Although I'm originally from Long Island, this really brings back a lot of similar memories from the 50's and 60's.

Great post.

Ct native here. My sister and brother in-law use to cruise us down the Connecticut River to one of my favorite destinations, Block Island...

Remember when your little boat use to fit in your little garage...

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Nice pics. And that boat didn't need 2000 gallons on water in its belly to have fun. Look at the glass around it.

RichL

Reaction score
Ct native here. My sister and brother in-law use to cruise us down the Connecticut River to one of my favorite destinations, Block Island...

Remember when your little boat use to fit in your little garage...
First boat was actually a kit boat I helped my Dad build in that little garage. Spent all our warm weather time on or in Long Island Sound.
👍

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Awesome pics!!

And yep, the general store still looks Exactly like that. Not much has changed at Black Meadow.

And that's a good thing. 👍

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Black Meadow used to have block ice machines. Put in a quarter and push it in, then listen for the clunk clunk clunk as the block moved around and then stand back as it slid down to a receptacle with a cage. While thing was about 20 feet by 8 tall. The structures were still there last i was...

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Black Meadow used to have block ice machines. Put in a quarter and push it in, then listen for the clunk clunk clunk as the block moved around and then stand back as it slid down to a receptacle with a cage. While thing was about 20 feet by 8 tall. The structures were still there last i was...
As a kid those things just amazed the crap out of me!! The liquor store my Dad used exclusively, even had a monthly tab, had those machines next to it. I remember the huge, heavy brown bags the the crushed ice would come in with the heavy wire ties on it but nothing beat the sound and rattling of those big blocks of ice come flying down out of those machines. Toby's Bottle & Smoke, corner of Tustin and Collins right next to the Burger Chef.