WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Flashlight recommendations? Tired of buying crap.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Was out walking my dog in the dark the other night, he grabbed a stick, turned out to be a baby rattler. He spit it out before it bit thankfully, but I need a better flashlight so I can see better, we almost stepped on the thing. Been buying Amazon tactical deals for a few years and they only work good for a few months and then start to die off after recharging a few times.

Any recommendations on something rechargeable that will burn retinas out and not be disposable after a few months?

HitIt

Reaction score
Last edited:

Rotten deal

Reaction score
I use ae light 280. Rechargeable. $100. But have worked for 7 years now with no issues. I keep a few extra batteries on a charger . Super bright and reliable.

EmpirE231

Reaction score

or streamlights

2Driver

Reaction score

I have one of the brightest Fenix. LR 40 R 12,000 lumens. It’s unreal. and pretty small. Even has a reverse charge port to charge your phone or gps as the battery is large enough. Even the $100 3,000 lumens ones kick ass.

LR40R

120733EA-9854-484D-8338-DD941FEA2EC4.jpeg

Last edited:

shreve"T"

Ex-So Cal.
Reaction score
Rigid makes a damn good rechargeable flashlight... I have 2 of them and can see for ever with them

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

Tank

Reaction score
I like these. Compact. Super bright. Easy to carry. Has a little clip you can hook to your pocket or belt. Battery actually takes the charge with a built in port. Nifty. Give you an idea of size the battery is basically a AA sized battery.
84BA6B9E-0320-42DF-A344-471C6E3FB8F0.jpeg

HitIt

Reaction score
No, it uses a Cree XHP70 LED which has a peak lumen output of < 4000. It is probably really bright though.

The "zoomable" led flashlights use an aspheric lens that can go from a really smooth flood to a laser like beam. They are ok for what they are but the glass lens is heavy for a walking light and sometimes the pattern leaves a bit to be desired.

Nordie

Reaction score
I had an ATAC 5.11 that I really liked, but someone else decided they liked it more than me. After that I decided no more nice flashlights.

Reactions: DWC

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Lol, anyone ever buy one of those "Tac lights" they advertise with the cheesy 3am style commercials?
Or their "Tac Glasses"....
Good grief those ads make me 😆

Icky

Reaction score
Fenix makes a nice headlamp too that is USB rechargeable. Nice to keep your hands free

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The Streamlights are good. I used em at work, but they really arent that rugged.

These guys make GOOD stuff. I've abused em and they always come back for more...

Fenix is probably the best, but I don't have any experience with em.

4Waters

Reaction score
I have a steelman, bright as fuk, it was given to me. When I get home I'll post which one.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
P.S. I have one that will switch to red, green or blue light. The red light, will help preserve your night vision...

HitIt

Reaction score
I hate these threads. I always go looking for the latest greatest stuff to help someone figure out what to buy and end up with an Amazon package on my doorstep a few days later. the Fenix PD36R or PD40R are calling my name.

also, as @rivermobster said, Nitecore is good, too. I consider them a semi-budget Fenix. BTW, Fenix has great warranty service (though I doubt you woudl need it).

Kbach

Reaction score
The Streamlights are good. I used em at work, but they really arent that rugged.

These guys make GOOD stuff. I've abused em and they always come back for more...

Fenix is probably the best, but I don't have any experience with em.

Completely agree on Nitecore.
I use a TUP 1000 for walking the kids/dogs and it’s perfect. Small, light, multiple brightness settings.

NITECORE TUP 1000 Lumen Rechargeable EDC Flashlight with Digital Display ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KFRXT13/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_i_28KAV3QZ8S5EB383YQ47

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Lake Riverside Estates.....that's in Aguanga east of Temecula
Really, my mother in law lives in there, I will ask her about it.
Completely agree on Nitecore.
I use a TUP 1000 for walking the kids/dogs and it’s perfect. Small, light, multiple brightness settings.

NITECORE TUP 1000 Lumen Rechargeable EDC Flashlight with Digital Display ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KFRXT13/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_i_28KAV3QZ8S5EB383YQ47
Amazing that a flashlight that small can be that bright. I remember carrying a 4 D battery mag lite back in the day that was three feet long.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I hate these threads. I always go looking for the latest greatest stuff to help someone figure out what to buy and end up with an Amazon package on my doorstep a few days later. the Fenix PD36R or PD40R are calling my name.

also, as @rivermobster said, Nitecore is good, too. I consider them a semi-budget Fenix. BTW, Fenix has great warranty service (though I doubt you woudl need it).

Fenix is pricey. I've had good luck with NItecore. They are better than Streamlight for sure! :p

LowRiver2

Reaction score
The Daytona of torches:
The standard of full time SWAT teams because they work under pressure

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
Really, my mother in law lives in there, I will ask her about it.

Amazing that a flashlight that small can be that bright. I remember carrying a 4 D battery mag lite back in the day that was three feet long.
Thats why I posted this lol . It would not let me Dm you.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
You want a light with a mechanical switch, not a digital switch. Most of the digital switch lights have a microprocesser constantly "listening" for the button press to turn on the light's transistor. This means even when they are off they are using current. So if you leave them sitting they will eventually go dead.

If you have to have a light with a digital switch for whatever reason, take the battery cap off when you aren't using it.

Coast and Nebo are what i have been using around the shop. The Nebo stuff is pretty nice.

Anything rechargeable get something that charges off USB, this way you aren't married to a specific charger. Most of my lights i just use regular batteries that i buy in bulk and store in the fridge, they last years and years.

ssc

Reaction score
My go to for years has been surefire and malkoff. Had too many issues with streamlight, but that was a few years ago. YMMV

Cheers, Steve

chvynhra

Reaction score
The Pelican 7060 is the best all around flashlingh period. I've had mine for over 10 years and it works perfect, long bat life and not too bright that you blind yourself if you shine it at something too close.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
You want a light with a mechanical switch, not a digital switch. Most of the digital switch lights have a microprocesser constantly "listening" for the button press to turn on the light's transistor. This means even when they are off they are using current. So if you leave them sitting they will eventually go dead.

If you have to have a light with a digital switch for whatever reason, take the battery cap off when you aren't using it.

Coast and Nebo are what i have been using around the shop. The Nebo stuff is pretty nice.

Anything rechargeable get something that charges off USB, this way you aren't married to a specific charger. Most of my lights i just use regular batteries that i buy in bulk and store in the fridge, they last years and years.

Bringing up chargers is a good point...

I use a Nitecore charger and have multiple batteries. One in the light and one in the charger. I use Nitecore's batteries as well.

I've never had a USB charging flashlight, as mine need to be waterproof. I drop em Way too often! 😝

HitIt

Reaction score
Flashlights are like guns. There isnt one that is perfect for every occasion.

For an everyday "walk around light" something that fits well in your hand is important. Also, something with rechargeable batteries and has an external charging connector is worthwhile. This way, you will always leave the house with full batteries and you are more likely to charge the light because it will be convenient (you dont have to remove the battery). You want one with with a USB-C charge port since those are way more durable than USB-micro. That means you will be buying a light designed in the last year or so.

Also, if it is an everyday light, the type of switch is irrelevant. Modern lights with digital switches can be on standby for well over a year and not dissipate much battery power. If this was a bug-out bag light, that would be a different story.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
The Pelican 7060 is the best all around flashlingh period. I've had mine for over 10 years and it works perfect, long bat life and not too bright that you blind yourself if you shine it at something too close.
Ive had one last 16 years before battery change. Other crAcked body at 14 years, still works

Can not be beat forgeneral purpose

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Ordered a nitecore 4000, most money I have ever spent on a flashlight, looking forward to seeing snakes now.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Do not buy a flashlight with AA buy one with lithium 18650 batteries! Enough said. Go wild to mild I have 3 18650 lights off of eBay 20 bucks each been strong for almost 10 years now. Piece of cake

sintax

Reaction score

there are some pluses to the digital switches though, my Steamlight for example has one, it enabled you to do a combo of clicks on the button and get a low power LED mode, or another click and get a highpower mode. Thats nice since I rarely want ALLLLL the lumens, i typically will run it in low mode and get a MUCH longer battery life

HitIt

Reaction score
Ordered a nitecore 4000, most money I have ever spent on a flashlight, looking forward to seeing snakes now.

Hope you are ok with the brightness on non-turbo mode. That isn't the light I would have bought but 🤷

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
there are some pluses to the digital switches though, my Steamlight for example has one, it enabled you to do a combo of clicks on the button and get a low power LED mode, or another click and get a highpower mode. Thats nice since I rarely want ALLLLL the lumens, i typically will run it in low mode and get a MUCH longer battery life

This is true, some lights have a mechanical switch that is multi function as well, it engages and cycles, the Lil' Larrys from NEBO are like this, it does a High, Low, Red Flash, but is also a mechanical switch that does a hard off, Batteries last awesome in those just sitting.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Go to your local gun shop! Some badass lights that mount on guns. They're not cheap but bright as hell and will fit in your pocket! Jmo