WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Flat bottom outboard?

Henchman1488

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

my neighbor has a 15’ flat bottom hull he is giving away for free.
I’m intrigued and thought it might be a fun little project to tinker with.
I grew up at the river with jet boats and eventually built a twin turbo v drive Sanger mini cruiser.

I don’t ever recall seeing a flat bottom with an outboard, is this something fairly common and I’ve just never paid attention to?

I have always wanted an outboard and nearly purchased a super clea. Schiada with a mercury racing outboard but I started a new business and figured I would not have much time to use it. I liked the idea of an outboard because I would leave it alone as I have a tendency to go “overboard” with my projects.
As of now, I don’t have a boat at all.

I have a mercury 2 stroke, 4 cylinder 40 hp on an old POS bayliner bass boat that is junk with a really nice trailer I could convert for use with this little flatty.

my question are, would it be ideal to build a billet jack plate to mount the engine?
If so, how far back should I extend the engine and what distance from the bottom of the transom would be ideal for the center of the prop shaft?
I moved to the extremely rural north west so small lakes and reserves would be 99% if not all the use it would see. Would a 40hp be sufficient for getting up in a plane and cruising a small boat like this around just for fun or would it just be a put put cruising slow boat?
I own a machine shop/ fabrication shop and building a jack plate would not be an issue.
also I would probably weld up some aluminum fuel tanks for it too.

if the 40 hp is not sufficient for now, how much power would you recommend for having a fun little boat that might go fast enough to scare the timid but not break the bank or set world records

Outboards are not something I havd zero knowledge of so any information would be greatly appreciated.
747C8797-C916-4FA6-A179-71DA245F11D5.jpeg
C09241EE-41DD-4310-BD20-FB73270B978F.jpeg
4889AED7-5F21-4C76-A079-FFE004306CDF.jpeg

Henchman1488

Reaction score
Just an idea, twin 40’s would look really cool, how would a boat like this perform if I were to put two?
Would it be too much weight?

im sure one engine with significantly more power would probably be better but duals would give it some uniqueness and maybe a little “wow factor”

also,would a flat bottom with an outboard benefit from a cavitation plate or is it better just to use the engine trim?

cav plates just look bad ass and I’m tempted to build one if only gif looks and to make the boat perform like a little bit longer of a boat.

now I’m thinking about an LS engine and installing a v drive... oh no, here we go again!

thanks in advance for any info!

Last edited:

84miller

Reaction score
If the plate is off the hull, I would be looking at a 90. Inspect the transom and repair as needed. If rigged correctly the boat will give you a good ride. I have owned two 14 footers, both with 100 mercs, had a blast. If I buy one in the future I would want a 18 foot, but hard to find.

Water Romper

Reaction score
I had a 1956 Dick Shuster 16ft flatbottom with a 100hp Merc as my first boat. It was fun but then, I didn't know any different I have some pictures need to find and post

Water Romper

Reaction score
I had a 1956 Dick Shuster 16ft flatbottom with a 100hp Merc as my first boat. It was fun but then, I didn't know any different I have some pictures need to find and post This was made by Havoc. I painted it in my garage, made the seats, little boat ran all day long. That flatty would ride horrible when it got choppy, thought it was going to break in half but it was my first boat and I thought I had it all...then went to Eliminator, then a Carrera and now a Hallett, all outboards.
Havoc.1.jpg
Havoc.jpg
Havoc.jpg