WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Flat roof ?

SBjet

El Presidente for Life
Reaction score
My mom's house has about 1k sq. ft gable roof shingled that works fine. At the back of the house is 1000 sq ft. flat roof, 9 yr. old rolled roofing. The part where the shingles meet the flat is fine. The flat part has puddles on almost half of it. The puddles range from 1/4" to 1" deep. Also the edges have pulled up, most likely heat shrinkage.
I need a cheap, light, fill material that I can put down to fill the low spots. Then I could roll roof over it, or I can use tar or some other roof coating.
I am aware that I can spend $ and gable the roof. I've also looked at using foam, covered by coating, but it is $ and the coating has to be redone often. Using rubber is $. Using perlite is $. Using cement is possibly to heavy.
Any wild ideas? Thanks.

Joker

Reaction score
My mom's house has about 1k sq. ft gable roof shingled that works fine. At the back of the house is 1000 sq ft. flat roof, 9 yr. old rolled roofing. The part where the shingles meet the flat is fine. The flat part has puddles on almost half of it. The puddles range from 1/4" to 1" deep. Also the edges have pulled up, most likely heat shrinkage.
I need a cheap, light, fill material that I can put down to fill the low spots. Then I could roll roof over it, or I can use tar or some other roof coating.
I am aware that I can spend $ and gable the roof. I've also looked at using foam, covered by coating, but it is $ and the coating has to be redone often. Using rubber is $. Using perlite is $. Using cement is possibly to heavy.
Any wild ideas? Thanks.

Henry's makes a pond patch product which I believe is the 176 and goes for $77.70 for a 6 gallon pail.

Joker

Reaction score
I assumed there was a parapet wall?

77charger

Reaction score
Henrys will be best for the edges you may want to use some mesh tape to help out as well.

As for using hot tar it will fill the holes but will need to be covered with something to keep it from weathering.And unless you have a way of heating it adn working with it i would recomend hiring someone who does work with it.You get burned it will be bad!

I do hot mopping mostly showerpans rarely get on a roof but have before.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
I would seriously look into doing a spray foam roof. Just did 1k sqft on my new garage and it was cheaper than expected and can compensate for low spots. If you do the maintenance every few years, it will outlast rolled.

lebel409

Reaction score
I had a condo with a flat roof...not a question of if it will leak, but when and where.

Put some kind of pitch on it or it will haunt you later.

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
I would seriously look into doing a spray foam roof. Just did 1k sqft on my new garage and it was cheaper than expected and can compensate for low spots. If you do the maintenance every few years, it will outlast rolled.

X2
Urethane foam goes on thick last long time

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Email me some photos of your Moms flat roof. The more pictures the better.

I will walk you thru step by step on how to complete the roof system yourself.

Mesa Roofing
Rick Marion
714-920-8788 cell
714-632-6929 x112
[email protected]

mlt

Reaction score
X2
Urethane foam goes on thick last long time

Polyurethane foam roofing is a great system....energy efficient,light weight,seamless and you can fill in low areas to get rid of any ponding or low spots:thumbup:

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score

:thumbsup

Rolled roofing isn't rated for flat roofs. Metal can go far lower slope.

Standing seam would be ideal but you probably won't want to spring for that. If you use the cheap metal with face fasteners, put the fasteners on the ribs, not the valleys.