WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Flat Top Grill Recommendations

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I was looking at a Blackstone but after reading the reviews I’m leaning towards the Camp Chef 600 (link below). I was only interested in a flat top but the two in 1 feature on the Camp Chef is pretty neat.

All that being said I’m not opposed to spending more money if there is a higher quality flat top out there.

What do you guys use and what have your experiences been like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
I didn't want anything but a flat top grill. no fryer, no grill. etc.. Ended up getting the Blue Rhino from Lowe's. It's 62,000 BTU, vs 60,000 BTU with the Blackstone. Hell if I know if 2000 BTU's will make a difference or not. The other thing, the grease clean out on mine is on the front, not the back like the Blackstone.
Probably cant go wrong with either one....

SS-C

Reaction score
All that being said I’m not opposed to spending more money if there is a higher quality flat top out there.

Plenty of better ones out there. If you can, find a commercial grade flat top, American Range comes to mind. Stainless construction with a ¾ to 1 inch thick steel cooking top. These are pricey, but you can find them used. The secret in obtaining the awesome taste is the well seasoned thick solid steel cook top.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I didn't want anything but a flat top grill. no fryer, no grill. etc.. Ended up getting the Blue Rhino from Lowe's. It's 62,000 BTU, vs 60,000 BTU with the Blackstone. Hell if I know if 2000 BTU's will make a difference or not. The other thing, the grease clean out on mine is on the front, not the back like the Blackstone.

The Camp Chef has a front trap as well which is appealing to me. I haven’t looked at the Blue Rhino yet so I’ll definitely check that out.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I was looking at a Blackstone but after reading the reviews I’m leaning towards the Camp Chef 600 (link below). I was only interested in a flat top but the two in 1 feature on the Camp Chef is pretty neat.

What do you guys use and what have your experiences been like?

Here is a link to another flat top thread recently.

https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/blackstone-griddles.216877/

wet hull

Reaction score
I have the Blue Rhino from Lowes. Been great so far. Same price as Blackstone

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
When the the wave first hit RDP the Royal Gourmet was mentioned. I looked it up and it seemed to fit our bill so I bought it. It was much less expensive than the Blackstone and I liked the drain on the side, up front than the Blackstone. We've used it a bunch and have no complaints. I think it's the 24". I know it's 3 burner. It's now less than a $100.00 at several places.

Does it count that I bought the Blackstone utensil kit?? :D

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
It's a griddle. The key is using it and enjoying it.

I've got a Blackstone which is better than some and not as good as others but it's also a better cost than some but not as cheap as others :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

24ultra

Reaction score
I would recommend the Camp Chef 600 all day long! I’ve had it for a few years and it is great. Well built, even temperature throughout the cooktop, no complaints

AJ Hoffman

Reaction score

I went with the blue rhino from Lowe’s too, love it I think grease trap is in a good spot pull all grease down to the bottom left. I was going to buy black stone then I stumbled across the 🦏 at Lowe’s an was sold. Love how the lid/cover folds open to side tables. bought the big dawg with cover an a kit of grease pans for $350 on Lowe’s card 5% off! Black stones expensive an an has no lid. Feel like the 🦏 really has it all user friendly an functional. From my research for wut I got with the 🦏 bbq/lid/side tables/weather cover/drip pans I would have been over 500$ maybe $600 for a black stone

Meaney77

Reaction score
Another vote for the Blue Rhino, I bought the collapsible 2 burner unit with lid to use for camping. I pulled it out of the motorhome and use it almost every day. Its nice to cook outside and not smell up the house with bacon, onins, etc...

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Bought the Blue Rhino...love it. Only downside is that it cannot be converted to natural gas like blackstone. Should have expected that from a company that primarily sells propane.

Nordie

Reaction score
I have the blackstone 36", but honestly with any of them seasoned they're the only way to go. I haven't lit my grill in months.

20200526_185248.jpg
20200713_173245.jpg

Quick edit, the natural gas hookup if available is the only way to go.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
The more you use it, the better is gets. The food tastes so good. We did fried rice the other night and it was as good as I’ve had anywhere. We do potatoes, bacon and eggs a couple of times a week. Breakfast is so good we don’t miss going out. Carne asada, tortillas, vegetables. Hamburgers. I don’t even buy anything for the grill anymore. After I finish cooking, I scrape it clean, oil it and it’s ready for next time. Best cooking thing I’ve bought in a long time.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Yup...this...I have the same Blue Rhino. Its 4 burner...one is supposed to be a "sear" burner to the right...
I actually just usually use 3, unless I'm gonna fill the griddle.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I went with the blue rhino from Lowe’s too, love it I think grease trap is in a good spot pull all grease down to the bottom left. I was going to buy black stone then I stumbled across the 🦏 at Lowe’s an was sold. Love how the lid/cover folds open to side tables. bought the big dawg with cover an a kit of grease pans for $350 on Lowe’s card 5% off! Black stones expensive an an has no lid. Feel like the 🦏 really has it all user friendly an functional. From my research for wut I got with the 🦏 bbq/lid/side tables/weather cover/drip pans I would have been over 500$ maybe $600 for a black stone
Back when I bought mine....I chose the Blue Rhino cuz it had the lids to cover as well and the Blackstones didn't. But FYI...there are plenty of Blackstone models with lids now.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I finally put my 8 year old 5 burner kenmore grill out on the street for free because I use my blackstone 100% of the time. Anything "bbq" can go in the smoker.

Bye!
109750627_10157827704204833_6395462625739339163_o.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I finally put my 8 year old 5 burner kenmore grill out on the street for free because I use my blackstone 100% of the time. Anything "bbq" can go in the smoker.

Bye!
109750627_10157827704204833_6395462625739339163_o.jpg

Shit I would have taken that and cleaned it up! Lol

we use our black stone as well. I can’t even remember the last time we used a bbq.. but both of my bbq’s are pieces of shit so I don’t use them much. We just ordered a treager for bbq’ijg and I’m ditching the two gas ones I have

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I have 2 blackstones and as far as cooking they get it done. However the grease drain trough is BS. The Blue Rhino has a much better set up for the grease collector. With the blackstone you chase it down the V into a collector off the side with a tinny hole, the V fills up and when your helping it towards the catch the stuff is falling off making a mess. The blue rhino has a better set up with a spot in the top to drag the stuff to and no V.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AzMandella

Reaction score
I bought a Blackstone 28" for camping . It stays in the MOHO so I don't have to keep breaking it down and moving it back and forth . We liked it so much we bought a 36" for home use . We use it roughly 5 times a week wether for dinners , lunch , or breakfast .

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Bought the Blue Rhino...love it. Only downside is that it cannot be converted to natural gas like blackstone. Should have expected that from a company that primarily sells propane.
Oh it can be converted. They just may not sell a kit. But it can be converted. Any propane or natural gas burning appliance can be converted between the 2. Just need different orifices and regulator.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I have the 36 Blackstone as well and converted it right away to NG. The NG kit came with a 72" hose with quick disconnects and the orifices. No regulator needed.
I use mine all the time and rarely use the Weber.
If going to NG all you need is a NG hose and drill out the orifices that's in it now.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I have the 36 Blackstone as well and converted it right away to NG. The NG kit came with a 72" hose with quick disconnects and the orifices. No regulator needed.
I use mine all the time and rarely use the Weber.
If going to NG all you need is a NG hose and drill out the orifices that's in it now.
This is true. With Natural gas the regulator is at your house meter where as with Propane it is on each appliance or the tank if you have 1 very large stationary tank.

SCV2RVR

Reaction score
I posted this in the other Blackstone thread and it is still accurate. Haven’t used our bbq since getting the Blackstone and the bbq is now just a storage for the Blackstone stuff
C64CA438-E041-4313-AA0E-368DC16A87F2.jpeg

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Stop being a bunch of poors and buy a fucking evo grill.

IMG_0666.jpg

My neighbor has one. We were doing Sunday breakfast at his place all the time. I’d bring the bacon, some other neighbors would bring drinks and other things. We’d all pitch in for some of us local keys people and use his Evo. Its a legit grill.

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Oh it can be converted. They just may not sell a kit. But it can be converted. Any propane or natural gas burning appliance can be converted between the 2. Just need different orifices and regulator.
I have 0 experience with this...help me out. I want to convert it. I am going through tons of propane

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Is this what you're looking for?

So I've had the Blackstone griddle for a couple of years now and never used it. I saw all the posts on the other thread and it inspired me to finally start using it. I cooked for the 4th on it and then breakfast the next day. Dam I've never made a full spread breakfast so fast, It was awesome.

Got some streaks for tonight but low on Propane so I sais Fu** I have a gas line in my patio, saw this post and went down to Walmart and now she's all ready for tonight on natural gas! Going to convert my other grill now as well. The kit cam with enough orifices to converts that one too.

But..... I did forget to relight the hot water heater. My wife lost hot water in the middle of the shower lol.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Did breakfast for the 2nd time. Awesome.

But like an hour later my puppy comes in looking soaked, we don't have a pool.. WTH?? Pick her up and she's all oily, shit head knocked the grease trap thing off the grill, all over her and all over the patio. Thank God it had cooled down and it wasn't scolding hot.

Attachments

• 20200718_095057.jpg
    20200718_095057.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 128

grumpy88

Reaction score
Did breakfast for the 2nd time. Awesome.

But like an hour later my puppy comes in looking soaked, we don't have a pool.. WTH?? Pick her up and she's all oily, shit head knocked the grease trap thing off the grill, all over her and all over the patio. Thank God it had cooled down and it wasn't scolding hot.
Lol!

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
I would stick with the camp chef if your going to travel with it plus you have more options for how to use it. black stones look nice but don't have the versatility of the camp chef.