WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Flatbed help needed

carrera202

Reaction score
Got myself in a predicament, looking for help. Anyone with a 25’- 30’ flatbed trailer with a winch? Suck eastbound 10 just past dillion at the bottom of indio grade.

Text or call 909 553 0089

Thank you
Shawn

carrera202

Reaction score
3FBD952A-4A02-41E2-BF18-A416BF5BD0AC.jpeg

pixrthis

Reaction score
Throw a block of wood between the rear axle and the frame so the tire doesn’t rub on the fender. I duct tape it incase the trailer bounces up. Piece of 4X4 or two 2X4’s will do the trick then you can hobble home on three.
Hopefully you have another rim and tire.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Damn...I've been there. But I least had the other bearing in good shape and strapped a board across and limped it in.. Luckily for me it was at the 40/95 when it happened too.

Might take some time, but replace it with complete hub assy on the side of the road.. Should be able to get them complete ready to slide on the spindle...

Or the resident trailer guru @BUDMAN

4Waters

Reaction score
Throw a block of wood between the rear axle and the frame so the tire doesn’t rub on the fender. I duct tape it incase the trailer bounces up. Piece of 4X4 or two 2X4’s will do the trick then you can hobble home on three.
Hopefully you have another rim and tire.
Looks like he lost a couple lug nuts on the front already, if so it's not towable

Riverryder

Reaction score
if you have boat usa dont they offer towing too?
i have roadside on my insurance, aaa and boat us

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Can’t he put a good rim and tire on the rear or am I missing something else?
Looks like at least 3 lugs sheared off the rear.

Am I seeing it right that the front rim seems to have worn out the lug nut holes and was rubbing on the fender causing a burn mark? I can't tell for sure.

If so, that had to be a hell of a vibration.

96motorhead

Reaction score
It looks like you need 2 hubs and 2 wheels, did you try calling any auto parts stores they sometimes carry this type of stuff?

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Damn, that’s a mess. Hopefully someone is nearby and can step up quick.

Riverryder

Reaction score
come on tell us the story?
how long was the tire missing?
how did we not catch this?
this is one of my biggest fears. i constantly looking in mirrors and counting the tires on trailer!

carrera202

Reaction score
come on tell us the story?
how long was the tire missing?
how did we not catch this?
this is one of my biggest fears. i constantly looking in mirrors and counting the tires on trailer!
Im constantly check my mirrors lol. I felt some vibrations thinking is was the road, looked in my mirror and saw my tire fly off!

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
We lost a tire on a tandem trailer on the way up to clearlake one time for a ski race. The whole hub and wheel came off due to an overheated bearing and went bouncing down the road in the middle of the night. We searched for like an hour and never found it. I'm sure the wheel/tire/hub might have been salvageable, or even reusable if the wheel/tire was taken off the hub. When it came off, it caused the tire behind it to go flat (ran it over is my guess). Caused a massive shower of sparks as the trailer basically dropped one one rim. So we had to replace the flat tire with the spare, strap up the axle that had the missing hub and limp to clearlake with three tires on a four tire trailer. Had to have new hub put on, and sourced another two wheels and two tires. At the time we didnt carry a spare spindle/hub, just a spare wheel and tire.

It goes without saying that the next trailer (26 Eagle - tandem again) has a full hub/spindle/wheel/tire assembly for the single spare, and the last trailer (30 Eagle - triple axle) has two full replacement hub/spindle/wheel/tire spares.

The real kicker to the whole clearlake episode was when we were on the road from LA and we got to Bakersfield and stopped for a break we noticed one of the trailer wheels was a little wobbly. Turns out the bearing was just about to let go. So because it was just before 5pm we got to an auto parts store and bought 4 new bearing assemblies and then had a trailer place re-do all 4 bearings for all four wheels right there in Bakersfield. The guy got three bearings in, no problems, the fourth one gave him some trouble. The fourth one was the one that failed near clearlake a few hours later.

Sometimes the trailer gods just arent with you on any particular day...

Singleton

Reaction score
Looks like someone loosen the lugs for you, then the bearing started another issue.
I rolled past this as I was heading west around 230, but could not turn around - needed to get home for oldest stepsons birthday dinner tonight.

@28Eliminator - lives in the area, might know of someone

pixrthis

Reaction score
Looks like at least 3 lugs sheared off the rear.

Am I seeing it right that the front rim seems to have worn out the lug nut holes and was rubbing on the fender causing a burn mark? I can't tell for sure.

If so, that had to be a hell of a vibration.
That’s a bigger mess than my eyes can see on my phone.

77charger

Reaction score
some laugh that i grease my bearings often like after every trip my trailer gets wet.And check bearings once a year by just jacking up the wheels and spinning them to listen for rough noises.

Looks like you wil need a complete new hub remove old one clean up spindle with a file reinstall.Did a friends a couple years ago he lost one between havasu and phx on way to texas brought it over was a fairly easy job though.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
The suspension looks like the springs on the back have reversed, and upside down.

1652322949262.jpeg

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Late to the party, but there is a place off dillon near old 86. Opns in the morning benlo rv. They helped me out years back. Looks like they're still around.

Singleton

Reaction score
Thank you for all the help and suggestions, AAA finally pulled head out their ass and tows on its way.
Verify they are bringing a big enough flatbed or lowboy.
I had AAA show up with an old school tow truck when a flatbed was required. 4 hours later, the flatbed showed, then I had to wait for another truck so my trailer could be towed, since my truck was going on flatbed.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Yep.. the shackles flipped

I thought on the trailer the triangle part, I colored Red, and the shackles are mounted to will pivot on the bolt, that I colored blue. . Since there is no weight on the rear axle it has rotated. Is this what you guys are calling ”flipped”? At first I thought that you were saying the leaf springs are flipped

BDD05100-D3CB-46CC-B3D2-7F9E8274BA55.jpeg

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I have called AAA twice needing a trailer towed. Once for my boat (23' Wriedt) and once for my 24' toyhauler. The boat trailer broke the main frame rail near the front, easy fix for a mobile welder. I called one after waiting 6+ hours across the way from Ontario Mills. NOT the middle of no where.
The toyhauler had a blow out. Called AAA because I had no jack. They broke the leaf spring by jacking it up incorrectly, and not noticing it (so they said). We had another motorist flag us down pretty quickly but they never did manage to send a flatbed. I really need to stop paying for this service because the answer is always the same. They can't easily dispatch a flatbed that big.

FCT

Reaction score
Shit I just saw this. I had a truck right there yesterday empty too. If this happens to anyone here please feel free to call me any hour. My phone is always on and I always answer or call right back but if I don’t answer in the middle of the night keep calling until I do 🤣. If I can’t help I have a good network of people that I can call to get you the help you need. You don’t want to rely on AAA for that kind of help. 951-236-9113 Scott

carrera202

Reaction score
tempImageiULWg5.png
Little upgrade, I guess a blessing in disguise. New shackle (it wasn't flipped) just the angle of the dangle with the wheel being gone lol. Fender will get painted at a later time, along with a list of things I'd like to upgrade, but its a good start.

4Waters

Reaction score
View attachment 1115532 Little upgrade, I guess a blessing in disguise. New shackle (it wasn't flipped) just the angle of the dangle with the wheel being gone lol. Fender will get painted at a later time, along with a list of things I'd like to upgrade, but its a good start.
Where did you get the wheels