WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Flatbottom Trailer Conversion to Dolly

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
Has anybody converted their flatbottom trailer to a dolly style. I have an old conventional Competitive trailer that I want to convert to dolly style. I have the skills to fabricate, just looking for sources, ideas, what to do , what not to do etc.....
IMG_3783-3.jpeg

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Do leave the shackle mounts on the trailer if so equipped... You never know you might want to go back to a road trailer sometime in the future... Also, try to fab the dolly pieces as a sub assembly, easier to install, and/or remove... If you ever intend on the dolly wheels/tires being highway legal also check with your DMV for trailer weight and brake requirements.. (Truth be told just about all of our trailered boats, by law, require trailer brakes...)
DO, rust proof any newly drilled holes before assembly....
BEWARE, the lighter weight trailer MAY float if it is a boxed frame trailer....

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
Do leave the shackle mounts on the trailer if so equipped... You never know you might want to go back to a road trailer sometime in the future... Also, try to fab the dolly pieces as a sub assembly, easier to install, and/or remove... If you ever intend on the dolly wheels/tires being highway legal also check with your DMV for trailer weight and brake requirements.. (Truth be told just about all of our trailered boats, by law, require trailer brakes...)
DO, rust proof any newly drilled holes before assembly....
BEWARE, the lighter weight trailer MAY float if it is a boxed frame trailer....
Thank you, this is some good information, Do you know where the best place is to buy the parts to convert? Im located in Orange County, CA.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Thank you, this is some good information, Do you know where the best place is to buy the parts to convert? Im located in Orange County, CA.
Probably a trailer supply somewhere like Ontario... The best deals are at the biggest wholesalers... Try on line, but beware of shipping even if the deal sounds best...I would look/study someone else's conversion and get their input about dos and don'ts... Needles this weekend will have at least 20 v drive dolly trailers at Needles Marina park...
Ray

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Does your competitive trailer have what I call a cradle for the current axles. It bolts to the main rails?? We have a competitive trailer that has all axles on this “cradle”. I was going to recreate this same cradle but with narrow axles and everything to convert it. Etrailer.com has most everything for axles Fenders and more can build you fenders. I just did a trailer for a Cp winger and made the fenders from a normal steel fender. Sectioned it in many places and made it work.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
That is some nice work!, I will have to look at my trailer tomorrow to see if it is a cradle.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Thanks. We have 2 competitive trailers and both have a cradle that bolts to main rails. I’m going to convert one to a dolly soon. But gonna do a triple axle!

bagged97taco

Reaction score
They are 10” wheels from a Local golf cart shop. The jet boat trailer will be towed to the races We will check bearings and service after every use