WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Flatty on the rocks?

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
The owner is on the upper river Facebook page and lives in Mohave Valley. He posted that he was by himself and ok. The boat was pulled off the rocks shortly after the incident. There was pictures of it on the trailer. There's a bunch of damage to hull but it sounds like he's going to fix it. There was no comment on how it happened when I read the post.

wzuber

Reaction score
My GUESS would be steering failure of some sort. Good to hear solo occupant is OK and only boat damage...that won't be a cheap/easy fix.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
They said it was mechanical failure on FB. First thing I thought of when I saw the pics, old flatly, old cables or old single cable equals boat in the rocks. Steering on vdrives is way different than the set up on an I/O. You need good cables and proper preload to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmo24

Reaction score
Usually rudder or steering quadrant.

4Waters

Reaction score
Wife saw this last night, he got way up there, glad he wasn't hurt.

facebook_1624835358360_6815053442912921785_43675141348181.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Why no hand wringing for a boater license card in this incident?

• Haha
Reactions: DWC

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Wow, that looked like such a nice boat. Such a sad sight to see.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
…Yeah that’s a real shame …glad everybody’s OK …I’m trying to figure out what kind of hull that is???…

nowski

Reaction score
My buddies saw that flatty on the rocks (south of Jack Smith) on Saturday. Later that day they saw it being towed back to Jack Smith park, apparently they don't build them like they use to...

gottaminute?

Reaction score
Wife saw this last night, he got way up there, glad he wasn't hurt.

View attachment 1019539
GN30 did that a dozen years ago while racing in Burley. steering sprocket slipped down the shaft and lost engagement with the key. now a safety collar above and below, just to be sure. crazy deal is the island that the boat is parked on is almost entirely silt. 4 or 5 rescue boats and 1 dozen guys to drag her back into the water and we raced the next heat. nothing bent or broken, bottom was barely scratched.
IMG_0063.jpg
IMG_0741.png

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
GN30 did that a dozen years ago while racing in Burley. steering sprocket slipped down the shaft and lost engagement with the key. now a safety collar above and below, just to be sure. crazy deal is the island that the boat is parked on is almost entirely silt. 4 or 5 rescue boats and 1 dozen guys to drag her back into the water and we raced the next heat. nothing bent or broken, bottom was barely scratched. View attachment 1019859 View attachment 1019860
I remember that, also remember being out on the island getting the K751 driven by Jay Ellington(sp) owned by Val Wheeler pulled off much the same way. Pretty sure the rescue boats were way overloaded with people getting out to the island. Good times back then.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I put my Sanger on the Golf Cart Path at Kings River Country Club 1/4 mile after her first launch...

Cruising up river, BIL is at my 5 o'clock, Nephew is coming towards us at 11 o'clock, I jump on the throttle and she goes right... I get off the gas, pull it out of gear and we are headed up hill. We stop, I have the gear shift off the casale in my hand as I ripped it off pulling it out of gear. No blood, my wife is fine so I just sit there... wife gets out and is standing on the cart path, there was a foursome on the green pretty close and they were speechless, my wife looks at me and says "it looks like there is just a little scratch" holy shit I was imagining holes and fractured glass all over this boat I just bought for the paint job. I jump out go look and hot dam, we rode right up some small fallen trees and the ground was super muddy. Grabbed a couple guys and we lift up on the cav plate rod and the boat slides down the hill into the water.... holy smokes how freaking lucky. We had just put this thing together and I never tightened the two 1/4 " bolts that clamp the steering cable to the quadrent, after I centered the steering wheel. When I jumped on the gas the cable just slipped , its an old circle boat and pulls pretty hard with the offset rudder. I idled back to camp my Dad has my trailer at the ramp already, As I load the boat he looks at me and says "cable clamp right" clamped that son of gun down added some cable clamps and we were back at it. The scratch was from a tree branch and it barely touched the clear. There are some good scratches on the bottom but no damage. The best part of this was it was 1996 and no cell phone cameras :) no documentation of this at all, my sisters did think it was funny to put a no parking sign there for me during the week. Stuff goes bad real fast!

Last edited: