WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fleet Card Recommendation

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Looking for a fleet card recommendation. Small fleet (1-5 trucks) and coverage area is all of Southwest Riverside County. I visited the Wex website and there are a ton of options, but now since I went there, I am getting all kinds of ads for different cards.

So what would be the inmates recommendation for something like this, considering the fleet size and territory??

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
I use WEX. It has made me keeping tabs on everyone’s fuel usage easy

I also make them do LOF only at places that take it. There’s plenty.

No Monkey Business

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
I will ask my lady she works for a restoration company in the office and they have the same amount of trucks

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I use WEX. It has made me keeping tabs on everyone’s fuel usage easy

I also make them do LOF only at places that take it. There’s plenty.

No Monkey Business
Awesome, thanks for the recommendation. Now with that being said......which card? I am leaning toward the 7 Eleven one myself.

Capture1.PNG

Capture.PNG

FCT

Reaction score
I have one from Downs Oil and it keeps track of everything. You get a print out every month.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I have one from Downs Oil and it keeps track of everything. You get a print out every month.
We have a Downs location in Temecula. Is their card accepted at other stations or are you only able to fuel at Downs??

JL95

Reaction score
We have arco cards but have a larger fleet and it is arco locations only. They give us $.10 off a gallon though.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I use Downs energy because they sell VP by the drum and 110 at the pump. Also works at many gas stations.

They invoice me every 10 days and then bill me 10 days later. Easy to see which vehicles are using the most fuel and what kind of MPG they are getting.

FCT

Reaction score
We have a Downs location in Temecula. Is their card accepted at other stations or are you only able to fuel at Downs??
You can use it just about anywhere. I’ve used it from big truck stops to hole in the wall CFN’s

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
I caught a sales guy doing Uber on my dime. His fuel and maintenance records (and poor performance) got me looking.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the recommendation. Now with that being said......which card? I am leaning toward the 7 Eleven one myself.

View attachment 1121704

View attachment 1121705
We just switched to WEX from Shell. Shell was a joke, basically a credit card with no perks and you couldn't use the card anywhere but Shell stations.

WEX seems to be a pretty cool system. You can set daily dollar limits per card based on expected usage. You can allow use in only certain states. Seems to be accepted at most any station that has nation wide coverage. We had a bunch of fraudulent charges on one of our Shell cards and that was the straw that broke the camels back that caused us to change.

Last edited:

wet hull

Reaction score
We use Wex flex. Its ok but no real benefit besides tracking miles and who used. Works well for that.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Watch those fuel prices. Downs is one of the most expensive places you can go. I used to just get prepaid gas cards and write mileage at the fill up on the receipts. A few hundred gallons at $.30 more per gallon might make tracking receipts cheaper than a fuel card.

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
We just switched to WEX from Shell. Shell was a joke, basically a credit card with no perks and you couldn't use the card anywhere but Shell stations.

WEX seems to be a pretty cool system. You can set daily dollar limits per card based on expected usage. You can allow use in only certain states. Seems to be accepted at most any station that has nation wide coverage. We had a bunch of fraudulent charges on one of our Shell cards and that was the straw that broke the camels back that caused us to change.
I need to get our company off shell. They are so much more expensive and being pigeon holed into 1 Station kinda sucks.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Watch those fuel prices. Downs is one of the most expensive places you can go. I used to just get prepaid gas cards and write mileage at the fill up on the receipts. A few hundred gallons at $.30 more per gallon might make tracking receipts cheaper than a fuel card.
I think I am going to do the Wex 7 Eleven Card and have them update me with fuel level at end of the day and then I can add a fuel stop to route next day if need be so they are filling up and decently priced stations because there is some ridiculousness out there right now. Case in point......Rancho Cal and Jefferson corner.

Joepump

Reaction score
I been using Downs/CFN for over 20 years. It has been the cheapest for me, $0.25 -$0.50 cheaper per gallon and they have Red Dye

hallett21

Reaction score
Just get a rewards CC like amex business platinum and use the points personally. Your gas is tax deductible at the end of the year so why save .10 per gal.
This.

Can you pay the fleet card with an Amex? Or buy gas station gift cards with CC.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
This.

Can you pay the fleet card with an Amex? Or buy gas station gift cards with CC.
IDK. My crew buys gas nation wide so for us a fleet card doesn’t work. Half of my guys have the amex plat and half have the business amex green card. I still get the points from all.

Last I looked I had 1.8 mil mile points on my amex.

LC925

Reaction score
I been using Downs/CFN for over 20 years. It has been the cheapest for me, $0.25 -$0.50 cheaper per gallon and they have Red Dye
X2

CFN/Flyers certain locations save you more than others.

Inland Air Balance

Certified in something
Reaction score
We use wex. I started to switch some of the guys to fuel man,but have noticed they seem to have issues with the card not working in locations it should.