WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Flemings...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Went there the other night for a friends birthday, the one at Victoria Gardens.

I'm gonna say once was enough. What's everyone else's take?

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
I have a longtime friend that was a managing partner of one. I was never big on Flemings. He moved on and has several of his own independent restaurants now.

You want quality and unique it’s not often found at the big chains.

grumpy88

Reaction score
First time was excellent . Second time not so great .

HotRod82

Reaction score

My wife and I would go to the San Diego Flemings for our anniversary until about 5 years ago....the food quality plummeted for some reason, I'm guessing they switched vendors for cost savings. Sad really, at one time they were top notch....

Icky

Reaction score
Long horn across foothill Blvd from there is better in my opinion

BajaMike

Reaction score
Used to be very good but went down hill a few years ago. Paul Fleming and Philip Chiang started Flemings Steak House and P.F Chang’s. I went to Loyola University in New Orleans with both of them. They both worked at Ruth’s Chris in New Orleans before it was franchised in the 80s.

Flemings is a copy of Ruth’s Chris...even has some of the same menu. Both Flemings and PF Chang’s used to be great. Not so much anymore.
Ruth’s Chris is still excellent, not like the three original locations in New Orleans, but still very good.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
WE have never been to one. I always hear mixed reviews on them,

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

Went to the one off i10 inChandler (ish), AZ about 5-6 years ago with 2 friends from college. We weren't in suit and tie, but we were in business casual. The hostess was a bitch...with emphasis on the B, and the Itch. My friend walked in after the other 2 of us did...when he walked in her attitude changed instantly. We had a reservation and wound up getting seated in the bar. Always thought it was over a racial thing, we didn't make a stink, had a drink, left and went somewhere else. I've never been back, and never would consider it.

Best 2 steakhouses I've been to as of late are Bohanan's in SA, TX, and 1889 in Missoula, MT. Would do both of those again.

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
My wife loves the place.
We only go to the one in downtown SD. SD has had the same EC for years, and I think that makes a huge difference.
Have tried others and the service and food sucked.

hallett21

Reaction score
Our go to is Houston’s (and their affiliates) or if it’s a really special night maestros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Rojo

Reaction score
Chop House Brea...solid service and great seafood and steak...

ham&cheese

Reaction score
Gaucho Grill Buena Park.. went for Valentines Day and it was excellent. You will not be disappointed!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Hit the Hitching Post in Casmalia for a change of pace next time if/when everyone pulls heads out of asses in regard to dining

Totally agree. Love everything about that place!

You old enuf to remember The Steak Coral? The Hitching Post reminds me of that place!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
We go, but not always for steak. Their pork chop is great and frankly prefer it as I cannot cook one like they do.

Neil (great guy) is the partner Chef at Victoria gardens location and has been since the beginning, but have gone through a few other mgr partners.

Neil makes a killer steak tartar. Start with that and a pork chop.

note: no pork chops since covid hit.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
You want an overpriced steak? Maestros.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Went to the San Diego one about 7 years ago. Terrible steak .Been the Ruth's a couple of times and was happy with the food. However, for the price I can cook one at home. If you haven't done it try a reverse sear on your steak.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Happy hour burger at the bar.
The rest has been meh as of late.

wzuber

Reaction score
Wife n I went there a couple years ago for valentines day. It was good but not $206.00
Good, and we brought our own wine. Plenty of other good places to go for half or less.

AR33

Reaction score
Gambling Cowboy in Temecula is far better.

HitIt

Reaction score
For the price of a meal at some of these places you can get a sous vide immersion circulator, a cast iron pan (or a little charcoal grill), a few good cuts of meat, all of the sides, and a few bottles of wine.

If you are going for the experience then, by all means, do it. But if you are going because you just want a good steak and dont know how to cook it yourself the equipment above will get you there and is almost idiot proof.

Dining out, even before COVID, is seeming to become really hit or miss and I dont see it getting any better. Learning how to DIY is going to become a necessary skill if you want to eat well on the regular.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
It’s not all about cooking your own food, RD’s place is full of chefs.

It’s the service and a night out. Not many steak places in RC, sycamore inn, but it’s hit or miss and Ny grill shut down (for good reason). I don’t like to travel far going out due to drinking and getting back home.

Hard to compare now, but have you been to the movies before covid.$$$

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Flemings always seemed like a mid grade “high end” steakhouse... if that makes any sense. For higher end chains, I always thought Morton’s was the best.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Fleming’s never really did anything for me. Steaks were ok, sides ok atmosphere ehh.
Ruth Chris good steaks, kind of gone down hill from maybe the rona? We like all the Mastroe’s. Good food, good drinks, good atmosphere. In Phoenix Steak 44 is pretty strong on all accounts. Close by we have Arrowhead Grill, actually went there last night. They do a pretty good job on everything.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

It’s the service and a night out. Not many steak places in RC, sycamore inn, but it’s hit or miss and Ny grill shut down (for good reason). I don’t like to travel far going out due to drinking and getting back home.

The night out should be special but as I mentioned in another foody thread the service can ruin it. Poor service is one thing but over-service can ruin it too. If your server constantly checks on you it becomes a nuisance and can ruin the "night out" atmosphere.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Dude, be serious...

It doesn't cost hundreds of dollars to go to the movies! LoL

You go to a steak house for the Steak. I paid 50.00 bucks for a piece of meat that was not exactly a 50.00 piece of meat.

Maybe you should send your friend a link to this thread?

Sure couldn't hurt!

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Since the Mastros sold their name sake chain of steak house's, they opened a new concept.

Steak 44 in Scottsdale. It's plane Jane on the outside, but super Chic on the inside. There food and service is second to none and is one of the best dinning experiences my wife and I have ever had. I highly recommend you guys go check it out. You won't be disappointed!

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Our go to is Houston’s (and their affiliates) or if it’s a really special night maestros.

I was going to say Houston’s. That’s our go to for special occasions. The Prime Rib is amazing!

Carrera205

Reaction score
Never been but like others say I think u can get a prime cut from Whole Foods and make it better at home for half of the cost. I have had a delicious steak out here in oc. Not maestros but at harvest restaurant in laguna. Absolutely amazing dinner and amazing views too.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Dude, be serious...

It doesn't cost hundreds of dollars to go to the movies! LoL

You go to a steak house for the Steak. I paid 50.00 bucks for a piece of meat that was not exactly a 50.00 piece of meat.

Maybe you should send your friend a link to this thread?

Sure couldn't hurt!

You are talking about cost and didn’t like what you received. I was comparing what a family cost to go the movies and what you receive and it’s damn near $100 and no dinner. Pre covid

Go buy a prime steak, should cost you about $20-30 for it and cook it, don’t over cook it cause you are going to be pissed. So it’s costing you double what buying one yourself and have it prepared correctly and served to you.

Have I always had it perfect?, nope sometimes shit happens. I even sometimes over cook my own steaks.

if you can explain what you didn’t like, perhaps next time I’m in I’ll mention it.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
The night out should be special but as I mentioned in another foody thread the service can ruin it. Poor service is one thing but over-service can ruin it too. If your server constantly checks on you it becomes a nuisance and can ruin the "night out" atmosphere.

completely agree with you. Had dinner at Mon Ami Gabi at the Paris in Vegas Friday night and it was damn near perfect. Really enjoy the place and it’s been consistent since we have been going on 17yrs.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
You are talking about cost and didn’t like what you received. I was comparing what a family cost to go the movies and what you receive and it’s damn near $100 and no dinner. Pre covid

Go buy a prime steak, should cost you about $20-30 for it and cook it, don’t over cook it cause you are going to be pissed. So it’s costing you double what buying one yourself and have it prepared correctly and served to you.

Have I always had it perfect?, nope sometimes shit happens. I even sometimes over cook my own steaks.

if you can explain what you didn’t like, perhaps next time I’m in I’ll mention it.

Five us went to dinner there. The bill was well over 400 bucks. And your comparing that to a 100 bucks to go to the movies?

You aren't making any sense.

I've had Great cuts of meat going out. Way better than what I had at Flemings, and we spent a fraction of what we spent there.

I'm not complaining about the price...

I'm complaining about what I got for that price!

Seems like everyone in this thread thinks that place is over priced and the food is mediocre at best. Everyone including me. I've had far better for less.

I get you're trying to stick up for your friend, but you'd be a far better friend to him if you sent him the link to this thread. I'm pretty sure he would want to know.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Five us went to dinner there. The bill was well over 400 bucks. And your comparing that to a 100 bucks to go to the movies?

You aren't making any sense.

I've had Great cuts of meat going out. Way better than what I had at Flemings, and we spent a fraction of what we spent there.

I'm not complaining about the price...

I'm complaining about what I got for that price!

Seems like everyone in this thread thinks that place is over priced and the food is mediocre at best. Everyone including me. I've had far better for less.

I get you're trying to stick up for your friend, but you'd be a far better friend to him if you sent him the link to this thread. I'm pretty sure he would want to know.

It seems my anology didn’t come across. I don’t go to the movies due to the cost and what I get. Your didn’t like you’re $50 dollar steak so you don’t go back.

complaining about what you got for the price, is the same as the price itself. I’m not seeing the difference.

I’m not sticking up for anyone and just because the masses go one way I should go along, right. I happen to go and for a nice night out, and not always for a steak.

I had said it’s not always perfect and things go wrong. But its been good more times than not for me.
So I say again, what didn’t you like for the $50 dollar steak? The size, cut, taste. What? Again they can’t get any better if they don’t know.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
In my experience, a good local restaurant is going to beat out a national chain most of the time, but a national chain will be consistent which can be a plus if I'm in a city I'm not familiar with. I haven't been to a Fleming's for probably 5 years because I have several local steakhouses that are much better. Fleming's used to have a pretty good happy hr, but I don't know how it is now.