WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Flex Alerts - And California Wants To Outlaw Gas Vehicle Sales

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
California is calling for flex alerts due to high temperatures. How exactly is California going to be able handle the additional electrical load when the state is shutting down power plants and won’t build any new ones? Do the politicians ever think their ideas through?

azsunfun

Reaction score
if you want lights too you need to pedel, high speed rail with nobody pedeling, hope its all down hill. 🤣

Done-it-again

Reaction score

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
The more outrageous / stupid / ridiculous statement a politician can make , the more his “ people “ will admire / adore / follow him / her. Common sense , practicality and facts have no place in today’s society . Feelings are in !

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
And to make matters worse they are talking about bills like AB1139 (which thankfully died on June 30) that would have killed rooftop solar. Let's hope they don't allow PUC to cut net metering which would also discourage solar. I know solar doesn't do much for the grid as the sun sets but it can run ACs in the day.

TCHB

Reaction score
California and many other states have been shutting down out dated power plants for 20 years. They are expensive to operate, maintain and do not function in todays market with 30 minute starts and shut downs many times a week. If you want 50% spinning reserve it will cost you. This is real time today. Electricity is a commodity and the lowest price generators stay on line and others play the risky short term markers.

Attachments

• F04CD90B-E82D-4C18-ACF5-8C4321EC20F2.jpeg
    F04CD90B-E82D-4C18-ACF5-8C4321EC20F2.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 87

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Yeah they have changed the curtailment hours from noon to 6pm to 4pm to 9pm. Claiming they can't produce from the solar farms in that time period. How the fuk do they expect everyone to charge their ev's at night if relying on solar. Fukin idiots...

TCHB

Reaction score
Yeah they have changed the curtailment hours from noon to 6pm to 4pm to 9pm. Claiming they can't produce from the solar farms in that time period. How the fuk do they expect everyone to charge their ev's at night if relying on solar. Fukin idiots...
The 3 solar plants on the way into Vegas can produce power into the peak hours with stored energy With the hot liquid.

TCHB

Reaction score
You can watch it real time

DWC

Reaction score
California will jump to number 2 in a heartbeat on the most expensive electricity rates. Depending on the utility they already are.

I
454AC2BF-1FE6-4974-9B7D-325BD6B302AF.jpeg

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I’m already saving to buy 2 or 3 gasoline engine vehicles in 2033 and sit on them. They are going to be worth a truckload of 2x4’s in 2036 when everybodys EV’s are stuck in the driveway with no go-go juice, lol [emoji23]

Can you imagine what this car is worth today? [emoji1787]

IMG_7043.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TCHB

Reaction score
California will jump to number 2 in a heartbeat on the most expensive electricity rates. Depending on the utility they already are.

I View attachment 1015274

I View attachment 1015274
Southern California coastal areas actually subsidized the inland areas. Base allocation is much lower for the coastal cities means they will go into tier 2,3 much sooner. SCE has about 17 different base allocations for the entire area. I feel rates should be the same per KWh period. We could open the market up to a free market and Let it play out.

pronstar

Reaction score
Here’s how things work in Texas:

Power utilities tell residents “we’ll enroll you in a sweepstakes, all you have to do is give us control of your smart thermostat”.

So of course tens of thousands of idiots take the bait.

Now that it’s summer, and the grid is under load, the local news is awash of residents complaining about their thermostats being raised [emoji1787]

IMG_7044.png

Taboma

Reaction score
What happens when the power is out all night, and you cant to work the next day because you couldn't charge your "car of the future" Tesla?
Tesla's answer is simple and they'll be very happy to sell you a Tesla Power Wall or several if you desire.

2Driver

Reaction score
http://instagr.am/p/CQRTSpJp5lkXfz4amv61rbeKaHUeC5R7eFiV_Q0/
Tesla chargers are already backed up On memorial weekend. Imagine what it'll be like in 2036.....

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Ha, yep. We all imagine going on a trip and when we get to the hotel we will charge over night….. the problem is all 300 guests are planning the same thing

The infrastructure plan over 8 years calls for 1/2 million charging stations. LOL There are 275 million cars in the US, 15 million in CA.

beerrun

Reaction score
I think if they do get CA to go all electric cars they will raise the price of gas so high for those of us still driving gas cars we wouldn't be able to afford to start them

2Driver

Reaction score
I think if they do get CA to go all electric cars they will raise the price of gas so high for those of us still driving gas cars we wouldn't be able to afford to start them

Say its half. Thats 7 million cars

How much of the available grid does 7,000,000 x 11,000 watts for 10 hours use up?

DWC

Reaction score
Southern California coastal areas actually subsidized the inland areas. Base allocation is much lower for the coastal cities means they will go into tier 2,3 much sooner. SCE has about 17 different base allocations for the entire area. I feel rates should be the same per KWh period. We could open the market up to a free market and Let it play out.
I live inland and agree 100%.

TCHB

Reaction score
We looked into having Ecars help utilities get over the afternoon peaks. You get home around 6pm plug in.Use remaining capacity in the to help power your home. Later that night when Eprices drop recharge your car. Off peak hours at night power is very cheap. The rate structures will have to change to make this happen. I love the young smart engineers re thinking the systems.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
We looked into having Ecars help utilities get over the afternoon peaks. You get home around 6pm plug in.Use remaining capacity in the to help power your home. Later that night when Eprices drop recharge your car. Off peak hours at night power is very cheap. The rate structures will have to change to make this happen. I love the young smart engineers re thinking the systems.

Heaven forbid something come up and you have to make an emergency trip somewhere and your car only has a 1/4 charge because the system has been tapping off your battery all evening. That would be REALLY shitty REALLY quick.

TCHB

Reaction score
Heaven forbid something come up and you have to make an emergency trip somewhere and your car only has a 1/4 charge because the system has been tapping off your battery all evening. That would be REALLY shitty REALLY quick.
i guess the same thing happens if your battery fails and you do have one on the shelf.

pronstar

Reaction score

I bet those cheap off-peak rates wont be quite so cheap if demand significantly increases.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
California is calling for flex alerts due to high temperatures. How exactly is California going to be able handle the additional electrical load when the state is shutting down power plants and won’t build any new ones? Do the politicians ever think their ideas through?

Quite simply, it’s not going to happen.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

But the e cars get home mostly drained since most people have to sit on the freeways several hours a day getting to and from work :) maybe it’s enough to get over that afternoon peak?

HB2Havasu

Reaction score

TCHB

Reaction score
But the e cars get home mostly drained since most people have to sit on the freeways several hours a day getting to and from work :) maybe it’s enough to get over that afternoon peak?
A Tesla does Not use much energy in traffic and should have a lot of capacity left After a normal commute. If you do not have much capacity the smart car will know how to discharge or not.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
i guess the same thing happens if your battery fails and you do have one on the shelf.
Totally different. You're talking about a failure versus a planned drainage of a car's fuel source. Sorry, NOT a viable solution. That's just an attempted work around.

TCHB

Reaction score
Totally different. You're talking about a failure versus a planned drainage of a car's fuel source. Sorry, NOT a viable solution. That's just an attempted work around.

if I was that worried about it I would have the Car stay above 50%. My car right now is on empty. Need to fill it up in the morning before early golf.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
if I was that worried about it I would have the Car stay above 50%. My car right now is on empty. Need to fill it up in the morning before early golf.
A gas car has an 1/8 of a tank, and an electric car has roughly the same. You get a call that your elderly mom fell and is being rushed to the hospital but they live 2 hours away, well outside your range for either car. People are going to be really excited about having their car powering their house so some politicians wet dream can KINDA happen.

Now change elderly mother to any other loved one in distress. Real winner scenario there.

Hypnautic

Reaction score

I know how to fix the combustible engine battery failure.
IMG_0743.jpg

Which way do these go in the Tesla?
IMG_0744.jpg

All serious though. This is the same conversation 100 years ago. Guy on side of road with no gas in car gets passed by guy yelling “get a horse”.

Infrastructure is not there. Will not be there for another decade, buts it’s getting better.

Unfortunately not until they can build all electric car to drive 500 miles per charge (and not at 50mph on flat or downhill grade) will they have my confidence or money.

Reactions: DWC

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Ha, yep. We all imagine going on a trip and when we get to the hotel we will charge over night….. the problem is all 300 guests are planning the same thing

The infrastructure plan over 8 years calls for 1/2 million charging stations. LOL There are 275 million cars in the US, 15 million in CA.

Com'on man... Joe is gonna take care of that! he's such a nice guy;)

actually happen to a fried that went to Las Vegas... Hotel couldn't charge his Tesla over night and neglected to tell him.

He and his 3 friends had to be at work the following day

They all flew home and the owner had to fly back to Las Vegas the next weekend and p/u the car.....

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
You can top off your car in 3-10 minutes at the gas station, the EV will take about 6 hours.

boatpi

Reaction score
At least the super chargers along the I-15 have solar power.

Reactions: DWC