WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

FLEX FUEL

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Interesting, according to the almighty government the 3.6 in the ram loses 6 mpg on average and the 5.0 loses 5 mpg on e85. The only experience I have with e85 are on vehicles that have customs tunes. Doing math in my had with the RZR I expect the range to go from 75 miles to 50-60 on e85 and then lose another 15-20 miles because of the MPG in the dunes. So maybe a 30-40 mile range in the dunes on e85. I guess I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

There are people with far more experience than me with RZRs in the dunes, so I am sure you will be able to get some real world numbers from folks doing what you want to do.

With regards to the mileage losses, some engines are simply not as efficient as others. The more fuel you have to flow through the engine (like with e85) the efficiency just gets worse, unless you tune the car to leverage the potential gain in the fuel. Otherwise you are just dumping more fuel in the engine, and making the same power at best.

The 4.0 V6 in my 4Runner is another abysmal example. I can barely pull down the highway mileage you are getting in your 6.2 Yukon. This is on gas. The v8 in the Lexus equivalent of the 4Runner advertises the same highway mileage, and actually gets better overall mileage in the real world.

My stupid Ford truck is heavier, less aerodynamic, makes 40% more power and gets another 3-4 MPG more on the same drive. But the 4 Runner will probably last 300K miles and I'll only lose like 20% of purchase price on resale 🤣

attitude

Reaction score
There are people with far more experience than me with RZRs in the dunes, so I am sure you will be able to get some real world numbers from folks doing what you want to do.

With regards to the mileage losses, some engines are simply not as efficient as others. The more fuel you have to flow through the engine (like with e85) the efficiency just gets worse, unless you tune the car to leverage the potential gain in the fuel. Otherwise you are just dumping more fuel in the engine, and making the same power at best.

The 4.0 V6 in my 4Runner is another abysmal example. I can barely pull down the highway mileage you are getting in your 6.2 Yukon. This is on gas. The v8 in the Lexus equivalent of the 4Runner advertises the same highway mileage, and actually gets better overall mileage in the real world.

My stupid Ford truck is heavier, less aerodynamic, makes 40% more power and gets another 3-4 MPG more on the same drive. But the 4 Runner will probably last 300K miles and I'll only lose like 20% of purchase price on resale 🤣
I’m surprised E85 isn’t more mainstream, specially in places like Parker or Havasu. The main reason I’ve heard it’s not used more in vehicles is there is not enough corn to sustain it. If a car that is tuned correctly only loses 10% of its MPG that seems like a win win especially on boost applications which more manufacturers are going to.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’m surprised E85 isn’t more mainstream, specially in places like Parker or Havasu. The main reason I’ve heard it’s not used more in vehicles is there is not enough corn to sustain it. If a car that is tuned correctly only loses 10% of its MPG that seems like a win win especially on boost applications which more manufacturers are going to.
The government has been subsidizing it in many ways, directly and indirectly. If they weren't doing that it probably wouldn't exist at all.

racetrash

Reaction score
Our Jimco class 10 car on race gas, 300 miles range. E85 tune went to 220 miles. Did get I think 9 more HP.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I just look at it as cheap race fuel. Plenty of my customers vehicles makes 1500hp+ on the pump e85.

If you're letting your customers run 1500hp+ on E85 pump gas you are letting your customers take major risks of engine damage due to the the quality of the E85 at the pumps. Anyone building a performance motor to run on E85 better be buying it in bulk directly from a fuel vendor (Sunoco, VP, etc).

Vern at West Coast Drives with his 2500hp+ E85 guzzling Carson Brummett motors in his Predator boats wont go near E85 at any pump, and for good reason. Most of the E85 at the pumps isn't anywhere near E85 and that crap in the pumps tank loves to attract water which will definitely do a number on the injectors.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
If you're letting your customers run 1500hp+ on E85 pump gas you are letting your customers take major risks of engine damage due to the the quality of the E85 at the pumps. Anyone building a performance motor to run on E85 better be buying it in bulk directly from a fuel vendor (Sunoco, VP, etc).

Vern at West Coast Drives with his 2500hp+ E85 guzzling Carson Brummett motors in his Predator boats wont go near E85 at any pump, and for good reason. Most of the E85 at the pumps isn't anywhere near E85 and that crap in the pumps tank loves to attract water which will definitely do a number on the injectors.
X1000

ChrisV

Reaction score

A lot of these cars have the ethanol content sensor on them and tune adjust according to eithanoo percentage. Surprising a lot of the e85 stations in Orange County is never below %80.

Daily drive on the pump and put in VP C85 on race days.

Only probably with e85 you got to service the injectors every couple months. They gum up quick.

attitude

Reaction score
A lot of these cars have the ethanol content sensor on them and tune adjust according to eithanoo percentage. Surprising a lot of the e85 stations in Orange County is never below %80.

Daily drive on the pump and put in VP C85 on race days.

Only probably with e85 you got to service the injectors every couple months. They gum up quick.
When I was reading about e85 for RZRs someone stated there was a law in CA that didnt allow pump e85 to be below 83% ethanol. Not sure how true that was but a couple of the guys tested there local stations and the didn’t find any below 84%.

77charger

Reaction score
My experience with e85 in my work truck was about 70-80 less miles per tank so went from 400 to about 320-330 range. Only worth it if the savings was greater than 20 percent.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
So driving to Havasu usually takes my car ~1/3 tank but yesterday on about a 80/20 mix of e85/gas my car needed a little less than 1/2 tank.
Btw...We got stopped by chp in Box Canyon, roadblocked actually. They let us through about 15-20 minutes later, big film crew we drove through there. No idea what movie but felt safe enough cuz I didn't see Baldwin anywhere😲😏😖🥺🥺