WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Flipped Boat trailer axles?

SIK-06

Reaction score
Found a boat for sale. Guy flipped the axles on his boat trailer because he has a steep driveway. Anyone see an issue with this? never heard of it. Had my axles flipped on a toy hauler but not a boat trailer.

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
That should be done by just putting the axles under the springs instead of on the top. If they are straight axles. Probably makes it look like a 4X4 trailer.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Should be easy enough to un-fuck... would have to back WAY deep to launch with it in 4x4 mode.

SIK-06

Reaction score
Should be easy enough to un-fuck... would have to back WAY deep to launch with it in 4x4 mode.

Oh yea didnt think about that. My truck would be fine however, we launch with Wifes expedition once in a while.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Axles have camber built into them...either with a slight bend in the middle or with the spindles welded on at a slight angle. Flipping them will cause camber to be reversed and get worse when weight is set on the trailer. Not the smartest way to solve the problem.

If the trailer is only towed short distances, probably won’t matter too much, but one long hauls there will be tire wear problems.

ramos45

Reaction score
if it was done right with new perches bolted/welded on to keep original orientation of the axles then your only concern would be how far you have to back in to float the boat. I did it on my trailer, it's nice never having to worry about tilting drives before driving off.

Ladsm

Reaction score
Haha, thats me, I welded new perches on it and put the axles under the springs. Got all new ubolts and plates for it when I did it. I have been in the suspension industry for years. No camber issues, no towing issues. When I back it in the water the rear trucks tires are right at the water line and the boat fenders are right at the water line. No issues at Katherines, needles or Windsor.

I think I posted pics a couple years ago on here when I did it. My driveway in Bullhead has a good incline to it.

Ladsm

Reaction score
Its an extreme trailer that was really low and would drag on anything more than a std driveway. Dont have to back in deep at all, Truck right to the waterline and boat fenders just at water surface. Easy to unfuck (LOL), I welded new perches and used all new ubots and plates.

fishing fool

Reaction score
By "flipping" I think they mean axle on bottom of the springs not on top like normal. Not actually flipping the axle

Axles have camber built into them...either with a slight bend in the middle or with the spindles welded on at a slight angle. Flipping them will cause camber to be reversed and get worse when weight is set on the trailer. Not the smartest way to solve the problem.

If the trailer is only towed short distances, probably won’t matter too much, but one long hauls there will be tire wear problems.

Ladsm

Reaction score
That should be done by just putting the axles under the springs instead of on the top. If they are straight axles. Probably makes it look like a 4X4 trailer.
They are drop axles, Its taller but not quite 4x4 status

Halvecto

Reaction score
Flipped mine (straight axle) many years ago. No problems at all. The gap between the fender and tires was a small trade-off for about 4-6 inches rise and getting a much better angle approach clearance for outdrive & trailer corners. I also went with taller tires to lessen the gap, get a better ride and more durable tire.

Last edited:

Ladsm

Reaction score
Flipped mine (straight axle) many years ago. No problems at all. The gap between the fender and tires was a small trade-off for about 4/6 inches rise and getting a much better angle approach clearance for outdrive & trailer corners. I also went with taller tires to lessen the gap, get a better ride and more durable tire.
Thats exactly what I needed, the tires are barely 2 years old so the plan was taller tire at 4 years. Old picture of the place but the bottom of the driveway at the street was a challenge with a low trailer and outdrive hanging off the back.
814 holly.jpg

Ladsm

Reaction score
Found a boat for sale. Guy flipped the axles on his boat trailer because he has a steep driveway. Anyone see an issue with this? never heard of it. Had my axles flipped on a toy hauler but not a boat trailer.
Before and After
bt1.jpg
bt2.jpg
bt3.jpg

Ladsm

Reaction score
Did you move the fenders down afterwards closer to the tires or..?
No but I could do that, The fenders at that height though sit right at the water level and give the perfect indication on depth for launching and getting back on the trailer. It is actually very functional. I made it easily Un-Fuckable to return back to stock if I change houses or sell.

Sherpa

Reaction score
jury s out on that one. my trailer grinds on the driveway entrance 100% for the first 4-5 feet then it's fine. the 4x4 look isn't what I'd want. just my .02

Ladsm

Reaction score
jury s out on that one. my trailer grinds on the driveway entrance 100% for the first 4-5 feet then it's fine. the 4x4 look isn't what I'd want. just my .02
Trailer wasnt my worry, the outdrive would drag if I kept it stock.

ramos45

Reaction score

I'm a function over form type of guy....within reason of course

Halvecto

Reaction score

Good work. Unless you have a very flat launch, you'll find it easy to get on and off with a little taller frame also. Throw some taller sidewall trailer tires on there and you've got the function and form middle-ground. You will get used to it. Not having to worry about the outdrive and the larger tires will take some of the harsh rough road, making for a better ride, is worth a bunch.

Last edited:

Sherpa

Reaction score
if the outdrive was touching ground thats a problem. my trailer rubs the prop guard. (Mastercraft skiboat)