WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Flooring for Hallett

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I talked to Bill at Arko yesterday about a new snap in carpet for our 240 and was little surprised on the cost ($900). I'm also wanting new teak and holly flooring done in a year or so. But wanted the carpet piece now as the one we have is fraying. Bill said the new teak floor is super expensive now and was pushing going with a marine grade teak and holly look rubberish floor with a carpet piece on top. Just don't know, I really don't want to degrade the look of a Hallett interior. Now it's making me think with the wood floor and carpet it's about 4k. Haven't had Hallett quote it yet, but will after this season.

Here is a pick of the flooring Bill gave me. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 621

hallett21

Reaction score
Keep the teak flooring or go another direction. I think you'd be disappointed in the differences between the real deal and that material

Mach80

Reaction score
I did the unthinkable on my 270. The teak was shot, I removed it an carpeted the whole area. It looks good and no hot teak to deal with. We are happy with it.

jstnoc

Reaction score
Starbright premium golden teak oil once a year and a snap in carpet kit!! If you want to save a few bucks just take a template off your existing pieces and send it to Corinthian. $8.80/sf grey aqualock backing and bound with sunbrella.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Starbright premium golden teak oil once a year and a snap in carpet kit!! If you want to save a few bucks just take a template off your existing pieces and send it to Corinthian. $8.80/sf grey aqualock backing and bound with sunbrella.

Thanks for the information. I'll be looking in to this.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Thanks. I check out the site, but it states that it is indoor only. How is it holding up if you have it installed outside?

jstnoc

Reaction score
I installed my Corinthian carpet kit and the product has exceeded my expectations. The aqua lock backer to the carpet makes it heavy and sturdy/comfortable to stand on. This was under $500 with what you see in the picture, two steps and long runner under the deck. I highly recommend this product as long as you are able to spend some time to make a quality template and install yourself.

IMG_6503.jpg

Runs2rch

Reaction score
What is the condition of your teak? Can it be saved? Cleaned and oiled once a season it should last as long as the rest of the boat. Our 89 was still perfect when we sold it last year.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
What is the condition of your teak? Can it be saved? Cleaned and oiled once a season it should last as long as the rest of the boat. Our 89 was still perfect when we sold it last year.

It might be able to be saved, but not sure. It's seems very dry and I have an area that has came loose from the backer so it's raised/bubbled. I don't think you can sand this as its more of a vineer than layed teak and holly. Also the prior owner actually screwed carpet down and didn't uses snaps. It's more or a cosmetic thing. I don't think Hallett would be to much and guessing around $1500 or so as long as the sub floor is good. Will look into it more in the off season.

Would love to have a glass liner done for it and lay sea deck material. But don't have that giraff money.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
It might be able to be saved, but not sure. It's seems very dry and I have an area that has came loose from the backer so it's raised/bubbled. I don't think you can sand this as its more of a vineer than layed teak and holly. Also the prior owner actually screwed carpet down and didn't uses snaps. It's more or a cosmetic thing. I don't think Hallett would be to much and guessing around $1500 or so as long as the sub floor is good. Will look into it more in the off season.

Would love to have a glass liner done for it and lay sea deck material. But don't have that giraff money.

Exactly. It can be sanded some. Yes it is basically 5/16 plywood with the teak/holly veneer on top. Are you handy enough to do it yourself? The interior comes apart pretty easily. Even if you need to replace the 3/4 subfloor, it's not hard either.

Then you are only out material, and your time.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Exactly. It can be sanded some. Yes it is basically 5/16 plywood with the teak/holly veneer on top. Are you handy enough to do it yourself? The interior comes apart pretty easily. Even if you need to replace the 3/4 subfloor, it's not hard either.

Then you are only out material, and your time.

I would attempt it if I had a boat/Rv garage at my house, but I don't. I don't even have room to park outside of my house.

240Hallett

Reaction score
I installed my Corinthian carpet kit and the product has exceeded my expectations. The aqua lock backer to the carpet makes it heavy and sturdy/comfortable to stand on. This was under $500 with what you see in the picture, two steps and long runner under the deck. I highly recommend this product as long as you are able to spend some time to make a quality template and install yourself.

View attachment 578004

Can you send them the existing carpet as a template?

jstnoc

Reaction score
Can you send them the existing carpet as a template?

They say no since it shrinks and stretches. I used contractor paper from Home Depot. It is thick and gives a true fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucketlist

Reaction score
Bump. I will be replacing my teak / holly wood veneer floor in my Hallett 240 openbow when i redo the boat in the upcoming months. I have decided that i now want to use a synthetic product but i want it to look as close to to the original teak / blond holly wood floor in it now. I will still install the patterned berber carpet kit ontop of the new teak floor. Looking for as many suggestions as possible.

hallett21

Reaction score
Bump. I will be replacing my teak / holly wood veneer floor in my Hallett 240 openbow when i redo the boat in the upcoming months. I have decided that i now want to use a synthetic product but i want it to look as close to to the original teak / blond holly wood floor in it now. I will still install the patterned berber carpet kit ontop of the new teak floor. Looking for as many suggestions as possible.

Do you mean something like sea deck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucketlist

Reaction score
I do not think I want a foam based product as I believe it will likely not be as durable when subjected to potential dents, scrapes and abrasion. I know that Sea Deck is a very popular product and probably cooler to walk on, but the real wood teak plywood product I currently have in the boat is hot and i have snap on carpet kits on top of it which work pretty well. I stumbled across some solid PVC plank products that are either welded / glued together and seam to be very durable. Products such as NuTeak http://www.nuteak.com/ , Flexiteekhttp://www.flexiteek.com/ and similar. Stilll need to do a lot of research to understand all pros and cons. Thanks for the reply

OC Mike

Reaction score
I just did the 3 step Starbright process on my 270 this past weekend and couldn't be happier.
The Teak had been ignored for sometime and I was concerned it may need sanding or more.
When it had been oiled, it was over the old dirt and never really popped.
Can't say it looks brand new, but it looks pretty flipping good.
I was stressed on how do it, with the help of a boat savvy friend, we got it done.
I won't hesitate to do it again.
Here's how I did it.
My storage unit has a wash down area on a slope, set up there with stern down hill, pull the plug.
If I was doing this in front of my house, I would simply jack up the tongue. It will be draining through the bilge.
Disassemble interior. 4- 7/16 headed lags screw hold down the rear seat base.
I had to disassemble the top from the base. Three carriage bolts on the front, 1/2" deep set socket took care of the nuts underneath.
Remove seat top, then base. My seat base has 270/335 written on it. Hmmmmm.
Front seats bolted down with 4- 9/16 headed machine bolts. Happy to see them screwed into inserts instead of lagged.
I had always wondered. The sides are bolted to the gunnels, 1/2" boxed end loosened up the nuts and slid seats over.
This is probably the hardest part as two creaky old guys handling these seats. I'm lifting it out and handing it two my buddy outside, who is short BTW.
Now I have a clear deck to work with. The deck does not go all the way to the bilge, stops short and there is a gap where the water would go down into the tank area and drain
into the bilge. Since the deck needs to be rinsed for the cleaner and brightener, the specs say will NOT harm Gel Coat, what's the worse that can happen?
Clean and flush whatever dirt and stuff has collected.
Masked off the vinyl around the edge. I used Gorilla tape and don't recommend, the sun cooked it on the vinyl and left a residue. Next time I'll use a good quality 2" masking tape.
Set a couple towels on the engine to protect the shiny parts.
Simply pour the cleaner over the deck and work it in. Use a brush stiff enough to work into the grain, but not too stiff to remove the grain.
Because I have creaky knees, I used an item from the Home Dump that had a handle and plastic scrubber. A few areas I had to get on my knees with a brush.
Rinsed with hose without a nozzle, just the water flow from the hose. Looking pretty good, think I'll scrubb one more time. Scrubb and rinse one more time.
Let dry. Now for the brightener. Contains Oxalic Acid, suggests to wear rubber gloves, Which I have. Ready to apply it, look down, what is wrong with this picture.
I am wearing shorts and thongs, AKA Flip flops. Hmmmm, should have rubber boots. Well, at least I have rubber gloves. Just be careful.
Apply brightener, work into wood, let set. rinse. Did it a second time. Let completely dry.
Teak is clean, dull and very dry. Apply oil, spread with sponge. Had to do this on my knees and wasn't fun. The Teak was blazing hot in sun, had to put towels down and move from towel to towel on my knees. The clean, dry, Teak is really absorbing it. Let set, wipe off excess. Applied second coat. It's really popping now. Wipe off excess with sponge, remove tape.
It's really popping now. Quite Frankly, hasn't looked this good since new..Rinse and clean up the bilge, reinstall interior. Done.

A couple of footnotes. I did this along with a maintenace, so I had everything out of the bilge that could be removed including the Ram, Batteries and bracketry.
This allowed easier access to the bilge for clean up.
The hardest part was my buddy lifting the heavy assed seats up to me to lift up and over the gunnels. Easy to blow a back cause they are clumsy. My wife wouldn't be able to do it.
Wife and daughter together would though.
Next time I will get a deck brush with handle for the cleaner and brightener, a sponge mop with handle for the oil, and rubber boots.

Don't have pictures guys, I never think about that. But it looks great. Just do it.....

Now, what''s that burning, itching on my foot and leg. Oh well, It'll probably go away......................................

satellitemike

Reaction score
Ok, who has had to replace the snap in carpet in a 240? The backing of the carpet in mine is deteriorating badly. Called Nordic, aka Hallett, and they said only $700, seems a little steep for a small piece of carpeting?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Ok, who has had to replace the snap in carpet in a 240? The backing of the carpet in mine is deteriorating badly. Called Nordic, aka Hallett, and they said only $700, seems a little steep for a small piece of carpeting?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not really. Seamed all the way around, and cut exactly as needed. Yours is probably original. It lasted this long right?

OC Mike

Reaction score
The backing on my snap in is deteriorating. Last year tried to fuse itself to the Teak.
Nice to know Nordic is offering replacements. Wasn't sure about that.
Lots of options available on matting. My buddy turned me on to Corinthian.
Just ordered some samples. https://corinthianmarine.com/aquamat/
They offer direct purchase. Buy their template kit for $30.00, send it in for an estimate, if you purchase
they refund $15.00 towards the purchase. Not sure what I'm going to do.
Like I said earlier, glad to know Nordic is servicing us. I traditionally like to support OEM.
Not sure if you have open bow or closed. Was the $700.00 just for the cockpit or include the runner up to the front on
open bow?

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
I talked to Bill at Arko yesterday about a new snap in carpet for our 240 and was little surprised on the cost ($900). I'm also wanting new teak and holly flooring done in a year or so. But wanted the carpet piece now as the one we have is fraying. Bill said the new teak floor is super expensive now and was pushing going with a marine grade teak and holly look rubberish floor with a carpet piece on top. Just don't know, I really don't want to degrade the look of a Hallett interior. Now it's making me think with the wood floor and carpet it's about 4k. Haven't had Hallett quote it yet, but will after this season.

Here is a pick of the flooring Bill gave me. What do you guys think?
Did you end up getting the floor overlay done?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Did you end up getting the floor overlay done?

Not yet and its purely cosmetic. I had inquired about some others to do it and pricing was all over, up to 5k and that was not the sub floor if in bad shape.

So I have been debating doing it myself, just need time and the room. Haven't used the sled that often this year so it hasn't been a priority.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Not yet and its purely cosmetic. I had inquired about some others to do it and pricing was all over, up to 5k and that was not the sub floor if in bad shape.

So I have been debating doing it myself, just need time and the room. Haven't used the sled that often this year so it hasn't been a priority.

That's insane honestly.

Google "Teak and Holly Cabin Sole" the 1/4" marine ply panels with the verneer aren't crazy expensive, maybe $150 a sheet? They are heavily used in the cruising sailboat world.

3/4" Marine grade plywood is probably $80 a sheet max (haven't bought in a long time) that will do your subfloors.

2 4x8' sheets of each will do the whole job.

Snap in Carpet with the nice edge binding is about $700, will last another 20 years once you do it.

If you have a couple saw horses, a skill saw, jig saw, and a drill you can do it all yourself in your driveway in a weekend, just use the old boards as a template.

240Hallett

Reaction score
This is a “core sample” from when I made an inspection hole under the driver seat in a 1991 240. Subfloor is 3/4 and the teak section is 3/8 with a thin veneer.

040F53A6-780A-44FB-855F-FA3961878388.jpeg
BFE62F1A-30CF-4822-87DF-47B3621EF549.jpeg

240Hallett

Reaction score
Thread Revival. Has anyone had their snap in carpet replaced lately? Looking for recommendations in Havasu.