WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Flooring in the desert **mega-mind question**

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So what's the best flooring to use in Havasu/Parker??

It's gonna go all through the whole house. It Won't be treated gently! lol

We would like to have something where we don't have to leave the AC at 90 even when we are not here.

Current homework suggests this:

What say you?? Thanks!

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
We went with lvp in Norco. Really glad we did. We wanted hard wood but just material was 18k. Lvp all said and done was around 8k. We went with Armstrong and got some pretty thick stuff. With the kids and how hard they are and how often they swim amending in went I’m glad we did lvp. We will do wood in maybe 10 or 15 years

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I put in LVP in our mobile a few years back. We do keep it at 90 though when we leave. I did all the place, which may have been a mistake. When my main breaker failed a couple years ago, I arrived to see my floor looking like dunes. Interior temp of mobile was probably 130+. When I got it cooled back down, it flattened back out, but left me with some small gaps. I did the required gap on the perimeter, but wasn't enough with either the heat or the total sq footage and floorplan.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
What type of construction is the home?
How well is it insulated?
Do you currently maintain the humidity to some degree while it's unoccupied?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
What type of construction is the home?
How well is it insulated?
Do you currently maintain the humidity to some degree while it's unoccupied?

Dude. I called you yesterday, call me back! Or better yet, just come over to Steve's place. We will be here awhile...

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Dude. I called you yesterday, call me back! Or better yet, just come over to Steve's place. We will be here awhile...

I left my phone on the job and didn't feel like walking back to retrieve it. Did you try calling or did you leave a text?

Will Scott be cooking Tamale's? ;)

84miller

Reaction score
First only purchase and have it installed by a bonded company. My installer who was private, screwed up, which cost me because he does not have the funds to correct his error. Leaving your thermostat at 90 protects more than just your flooring. I read all the material when I purchased my fridge, which stated not to run the fridge with a outside temp over 100. Good luck, it is a hard choice as there is so many differ types of flooring out there...

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I was at Floor and Decor looking for wood like stuff for my Rv and they told me about NuCore Preformance vinyl that was good to about 115. they only have about 4 colors at this time. I have one piece of it here in Havasu if you want to see it.

Backlash

Reaction score
Save yourself the headaches and just throw down some carpet. It's a river house! 😎

cofooter

Reaction score
I would think that would crack BAD in a mobile home?? (I think I left out that part) :(
Ahh, may have to reinforce floor. Buddy just put in new 1" ply, and cement board in his mobile and 4' plank tile, throughout. Looks badass, but a ton of work.

Maybe the vinyl plank snap toghether tile. I replaced a section of floor in my camper with those a while back and it has held up well, doesn't change shape or wrinkle in the heat.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I was at Floor and Decor looking for wood like stuff for my Rv and they told me about NuCore Preformance vinyl that was good to about 115. they only have about 4 colors at this time. I have one piece of it here in Havasu if you want to see it.

We called Armstrong and they said the stuff I quoted in the OP is good to 100 degrees.

Seems like with anything other than carpet or tile, you have to leave the AC on. The current linoleum is toast.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Maybe indoor/outdoor carpet or something similar as previously mentioned Joe.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Worried about the floor what about furniture drywall tape leave the AC at 90 all materials should be fine

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
we have been installing lvt in parker/havasu. price is right and i have two crews willing to install if your in need. happy to help if you like. rob 714 633-7440 showroom www.californiacushionandcarpet.com

We are going to do the install ourselves. Probably make Wheeler and OC help too, but don't tell them I said that.😉

Just found out the material we are looking at is back ordered until September. So if you want to PM me your price on it...

Material is in my original post. Thanks. 🙂

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Ax-minster carpet and Jute padding. Takes way less to cool and adds insulation. Wears like iron. Hemp is a good option as well. :)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Worried about the floor what about furniture drywall tape leave the AC at 90 all materials should be fine

House and furniture are all over 20 years old, and all still look perfectly fine.

We leave 5 gallon buckets full of water everywhere when we leave. Been doing that since day one. Seems to have done the job.

This is the sub floor in the bathroom. It really does look still new!

20200807_122752.jpg

traquer

Reaction score
How bout epoxy concrete? Looks great if it's the right pattern. No idea on the cost though.

1596828704122.png

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I love that stuff. Its beautiful. But not sure it would fly in a mobile home. ☹
That's actually a badass idea, never even crossed my mind. We did some waterproofing on decks and such with this weird modified cement stuff. It was poured over a slip sheet, and had a little flexibility. Probably not the most cost effective, and don't know how long it would last with the shifting and such...put would look pimp for a while!

2Driver

Reaction score
Garage epoxy and some area rugs :)

Our first house in Moonridge was a mobile and we redid it in commercial office carpet that was left over from a Marriot courtyard build. I hate carpet but It wore great and it was a super tight density

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
We called Armstrong and they said the stuff I quoted in the OP is good to 100 degrees.

Seems like with anything other than carpet or tile, you have to leave the AC on. The current linoleum is toast.

It's toast but how long has it lasted? With no AC on when not there, it's only a small percentage of hot months and its not like the place isn't used. Steve and I have talked several times about not leaving the air on so very limited in predictable outcome brother. Its also not that expensive or that difficult to deal with unless the entire house gets it as what Steve told me the other day he's looking to do. When it turns to shit you can always carpet over it, LOL.

I'm trying to help you guys best I can but like I said early on there is not really a super clear answer. You can tile it, using Hardie backer, glued and screwed, then tile it. Keep a few extras if something happens however your talking dollars but they have tile that looks like wood planks as you know.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It's toast but how long has it lasted? With no AC on when not there, it's only a small percentage of hot months and its not like the place isn't used. Steve and I have talked several times about not leaving the air on so very limited in predictable outcome brother. Its also not that expensive or that difficult to deal with unless the entire house gets it as what Steve told me the other day he's looking to do. When it turns to shit you can always carpet over it, LOL.

I'm trying to help you guys best I can but like I said early on there is not really a super clear answer. You can tile it, using Hardie backer, glued and screwed, then tile it. Keep a few extras if something happens however your talking dollars but they have tile that looks like wood planks as you know.

I'll call you soon. Been a busy day here. 😝

Justfishing

Reaction score
I was talking to the flooring lady at lowes the other day. They have a line of lvp has can withstand well over 200° if I remember right 250°. Didnt pay attention to the actual temp range since it would be way out of any extremes i would see.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Our first house in Moonridge was a mobile and we redid it in commercial office carpet that was left over from a Marriot courtyard build. I hate carpet but It wore great and it was a super tight density
[/QUOTE]

This is what we are doing in a couple weeks. Got some surplus carpet tiles off a job so the price is right. Just going to glue it down to the plywood sheets. Its only going in the game room so we will see how it goes. The tile floor in the kitchen has been cracking piece by piece over the last couple years almost out of extras now.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Have to get out there and check my LVP. Was 120 last weekend which is a good test. My neighbor thst i gave some extra laminate to said it separated in a few spots. Probably 130 inside with no ac on.

The carpet and linoleum is only thing I have seen last with those temps. The lowes lvp several neighbors used looks like shit after 1 summer. Warped and separated all over.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Good thread!!! Giving me second thoughts on flooring moving forward.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So we kinna fucked up and read the info sheet wrong...

Turns out THIS is the floor that is good to 100 degrees. Since my friend is retired now, he's probably going to be out here more often than not in the summer. So we figure setting the AC to 90ish while he's not here, will not be a huge deal at all. Gonna call the flooring guy we found again on Monday and give him the info, to see what the price on this is...

Turnup

Reaction score
Rigid Core Vantage is what they're using at a bunch of new tracts in Vegas I noted last week. Its a pretty good product but the sales people are telling buyers its a high end waterproof real wood system 🤦‍♂️

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Rigid Core Vantage is what they're using at a bunch of new tracts in Vegas I noted last week. Its a pretty good product but the sales people are telling buyers its a high end waterproof real wood system 🤦‍♂️

Idiots! LoL

DLC

Reaction score
What about commercial carpet tiles? When someone pukes up strawberry Margaritas Just swap out the tiles with new, just make sure to buy extra

thedan

Reaction score
Not flooring related. But at my place in Mohave Valley I leave it at 95° When away. Standard thermostats stopped at 90°, but the basic Honeywell WiFi thermostats go to 95, hell they might go to whatever? I put foam 1/2 panels in the windows and blackout blinds. Manufactured laminate snap floors, cheapest at Lowe’s doing great at year 5.

Smooth Mvr

Reaction score
So what's the best flooring to use in Havasu/Parker??

It's gonna go all through the whole house. It Won't be treated gently! lol

We would like to have something where we don't have to leave the AC at 90 even when we are not here.

Current homework suggests this:

What say you?? Thanks!
Waterproof laminated flooring! Made of plastic not paper or particle board and has a lifetime warranty! $1.80-$2.00 a square foot but well worth it!!!! Comes in many colors and patterns.
20191207_233159.jpg

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
We are going to do the install ourselves. Probably make Wheeler and OC help too, but don't tell them I said that.😉

Just found out the material we are looking at is back ordered until September. So if you want to PM me your price on it...

Material is in my original post. Thanks. 🙂
Realcalcush is the guy I would have recomended. I have known Rob and his family for a long time, their place of business is in City of Orange, but he has a home out here too.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
What about commercial carpet tiles? When someone pukes up strawberry Margaritas Just swap out the tiles with new, just make sure to buy extra
My tenants put those down when they moved in...looked good and worked well. Took all of 10 minutes to pull it all up when they left. I woulda left it down but the prick didn’t leave me any spares and there were some that needed to be replaced.

Reactions: DLC

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Realcalcush is the guy I would have recomended. I have known Rob and his family for a long time, their place of business is in City of Orange, but he has a home out here too.

Good to know. Thanks Barry.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, not much going on here, caught up on engine projects.

We are gonna stay close to the house for a bit. They are putting a new roof on Steve's place as we speak, and Wheeler is supposed to stop by to look at some drywall work. Boat is in the water, but we are gonna sit tite till the roofers are done.

Feel free to come by if your bored. 👍