WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Flooring prices question????

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Looking to get some flooring done......what's the going rate for install range? For both tile and LVP? How about demo?

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Looking to get some flooring done......what's the going rate for install range? For both tile and LVP? How about demo?

Just a heads up, but Costco had a sale for premium lvp flooring that blew away anyone else's pricing with free shipping.

Rbcconst

Reaction score

LVP should range from $2.50-$3.50. If there is a lot of floor prep that would be additional. With LVP the floor needs to be prepped with quality. Tile install is around $5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Have a quote already at 3 for LVP....and $5.50 for tile. Was wondering if I was just being a cheap ass like usual, or it was in the ballpark. 😂😂
Shit, I need to start doing some shit on the side. Lol...and then there is demo and removal....lol

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Just a heads up, but Costco had a sale for premium lvp flooring that blew away anyone else's pricing with free shipping.
Meh...I don't know about their online stuff, but the lvp they have in the stores is ok. Pricing is pretty solid at my local Floor and Decor......and way better selection.

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
LVP should range from $2.50-$3.50. If there is a lot of floor prep that would be additional. With LVP the floor needs to be prepped with quality. Tile install is around $5.

Whats the prep for lvp? I'm talking about just going with the floating...just the vapor barrier before no?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
LVP and Laminate both need a very level slab or subfloor. Humps show and low areas cause hollowness. Slabs can be ground down with a diamond disk, and low spots floated and filled with a floor leveling compound. Make sure the installers use a primer if the manufacturer of the compound requires it.

One thing to know about both LVP and Laminate is that they trap moisture under the flooring surface. Sure LVP can handle getting wet...but they don't let out much moisture from the slab underneath. I have seen multiple cases where the planks get moldy underneath.

One guy laid LVP over glued down hardwood....and it stunk of mold so bad that had to tear both floors out and cook the slab to get it to dry down. So exterior drainage is important. No watering around the foundation, use rain gutters and longer downspouts if there is a chance you have moisture issues.

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
LVP and Laminate both need a very level slab or subfloor. Humps show and low areas cause hollowness. Slabs can be ground down with a diamond disk, and low spots floated and filled with a floor leveling compound. Make sure the installers use a primer if the manufacturer of the compound requires it.

One thing to know about both LVP and Laminate is that they trap moisture under the flooring surface. Sure LVP can handle getting wet...but they don't let out much moisture from the slab underneath. I have seen multiple cases where the planks get moldy underneath.

One guy laid LVP over glued down hardwood....and it stunk of mold so bad that had to tear both floors out and cook the slab to get it to dry down. So exterior drainage is important. No watering around the foundation, use rain gutters and longer downspouts if there is a chance you have moisture issues.
So what about using the roll out moisture barriers? Should something be rolled on instead to seal? Even if no leveling is needed?

petie6464

Reaction score
1416sf. In Havasu, $3k for the flooring @ home depot.

LVP is ideal for anyone with a strong back and no skills.

Reactions: DWC

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Whats the prep for lvp? I'm talking about just going with the floating...just the vapor barrier before no?

Most manufactures have a 1/4” in 6’ requirement I believe. Most of the good LVP has the vapor barrier attached to back. When we install it I have the floor ground and self leveled, it needs to be tits before you start laying it. Its different from laminate. If you dont prep the floor right it will bridge over low spots and every time you step there it will sink down. And you will feel all high spots. Some just blow and go, I pass on the job if someone wont do it the right way. Done well its a Bitchen floor. Also keep in mind if you are going through doorways that use to have carpet your doors will be really undercut and look silly.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score

Feeling kind of bad for the guys doing mine right now. Hands and knees grinding the concrete level and smooth. And floating in spots that need it. Not what I would want to be doing for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
We went with republic flooring
image-2021-06-08-16:13:12-992.jpg

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Soooooooo....LVP or tile? Pros/cons? Is tile worth the price difference? Too much of a pain in the ass to clean with the grout?

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
We are in the middle of getting quote for laminate 20ml wear coating (waterproof they claim). $3.69 sq ft material...$2.00 sq ft install $2.00 running foot for the edging (we have to paint it.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Just did this to 900ft of office and storage. Watch your pricing. The go to floor guy wanted over $6k to do this. I bought some middle of the road stuff at a box store for $2k and dropped it for $1.5k. This remodel is killing me with the crazy pricing on everyting.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Feeling kind of bad for the guys doing mine right now. Hands and knees grinding the concrete level and smooth. And floating in spots that need it. Not what I would want to be doing for sure.

Its not your optimal work for sure. Flooring is a trade where the better you are and the faster you are the more money you make. Most guys in flooring get paid by the sqft. Wait to see how long it takes to lay to decide how bad you feel for them.

DAVEO

Reaction score
I've been installing lvt for the last 15+ years. Anything that is floating is never waterproof,
resistant maybe. The other side is your subfloor needs to be within 1/16" in 10' that is maximum variance. If it is not within tolerance your warranty is worth crap! If you want a good wood look without putting real wood in, you need a quality pure vinyl plank and glue it directly to the subfloor. Milliken, Shaw, Karndean, Armstrong. Any off brands always has issues. Just remember you get what you pay for. Now I'm not saying you have to go with the most expensive but a good quality plank is from 4-6$ a foot for material install should be about 3-3.50$ per foot. Now to the tile sorry never got to do much of that in my years.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
We just put some flooring in Fargo nd water proof looks really nice will have a pic in the morning

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Painting on a brand new floor.... either the wife is not home or you’re not married.

AND you have better painting skills..... I would have drop cloth all over the place... and still get it on the floor.:rolleyes:

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Painting on a brand new floor.... either the wife is not home or you’re not married.

AND you have better painting skills..... I would have drop cloth all over the place... and still get it on the floor.:rolleyes:
Wife is the painter and a very neat one. we got 22, 16' boards painted last night and not one drop on the floor. 👍

traquer

Reaction score
I wonder what's the install pricing for large format tile these days? Building a new house currently in Boerne Tx. Heard the subfloor needs to be very flat (and ideally level as well) if you want it looking bitching.

I asked some family in Europe that are GCs and they said to just screed the floor of the whole house. Or in the US, just run self leveling compound throughout at minimum 1/8" thick in the high spots. Sounds expensive but a lot more fun than grinding concrete

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I wonder what's the install pricing for large format tile these days? Building a new house currently in Boerne Tx. Heard the subfloor needs to be very flat (and ideally level as well) if you want it looking bitching.

I asked some family in Europe that are GCs and they said to just screed the floor of the whole house. Or in the US, just run self leveling compound throughout at minimum 1/8" thick in the high spots. Sounds expensive but a lot more fun than grinding concrete

Depends on the actual size of the large format. How big are you talking?

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Like the color....pretty close to what we are looking for. 👍
Thanks. i believe it is called Hawthorne. We were thinking in the beginning to go darker gray/with a little black. but between the flooring companies advice and having brought home almost 10 different samples. I'm glad we went with this. I think it's looking really good and we were able to one color throughout the whole house. Upstairs and down.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

Does the LVP budget costs that your posted include demo of any existing tiles? Or is that extra.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
For those large format tile a leveling system is a must. I like the Spin Doctor system best so far.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Does the LVP budget costs that your posted include demo of any existing tiles? Or is that extra.

Demo is extra. Guys charge anywhere from $1.25-$2.50 depending on what the tile is and the footages.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I'd like to do 24x48

Im not sure of the comparison from ca to tx but in ca its about another $1.50 a sqft not including any crazy prep. And thats on a slab not a subfloor or second floor.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Demo is extra. Guys charge anywhere from $1.25-$2.50 depending on what the tile is and the footages.

Ok so I will figure $6 for demo and install. How much for the LVP per foot? I'm thinking about 800 SF. Thanks!!!

renodaytona

Reaction score
We just did this in our house. I did LVPcibbthe dining room and kitchen. Then we wanted to do more but couldn’t get the same stuff. We ended up getting the stuff from Costco and had a guy come in and lay it down for an unbeatable price. He did 840 sq ft in one day with a helper. We are right at $3k for the LVP and installation. We did all the demo.
A8EFEAEE-E2F7-47D1-9B8C-F87EB085022C.jpeg

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Ok so I will figure $6 for demo and install. How much for the LVP per foot? I'm thinking about 800 SF. Thanks!!!

A decent LVP will run around $3-$4 with the 12mil wear layer. I would stick with a 20mil which should be in the mid $4’s.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Not to highjack the thread but I thought I would throw out a cautionary note. 6 years ago we did LVP throughout the house and it was pretty high end stuff, I don't recall the brand
but the wife did her research and this was top shelf stuff. The installers did a great job on fit and finish and even had us store the vinyl inside for a week prior to install to normalize it. It looked great at first but as time went by not so much. Now at the 6.5 yr. mark the end joints no longer mate up in quite a few areas and in the traffic areas of the house the corners of the planks are starting to curl. I'm not at all happy with this stuff and would never use it again. It might be a different story if you were laying it on a slab floor (mine is a raised platform hardwood) but I'm pretty soured on the whole deal.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
This thread is scaring the shit out of me. I have a 3500 sq ft home that needs pretty much everything refloored. Bedroom I think I’ll just go carpet. Bathrooms are tile and don’t need to be redone. The rest is really up in the air.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Not to highjack the thread but I thought I would throw out a cautionary note. 6 years ago we did LVP throughout the house and it was pretty high end stuff, I don't recall the brand
but the wife did her research and this was top shelf stuff. The installers did a great job on fit and finish and even had us store the vinyl inside for a week prior to install to normalize it. It looked great at first but as time went by not so much. Now at the 6.5 yr. mark the end joints no longer mate up in quite a few areas and in the traffic areas of the house the corners of the planks are starting to curl. I'm not at all happy with this stuff and would never use it again. It might be a different story if you were laying it on a slab floor (mine is a raised platform hardwood) but I'm pretty soured on the whole deal.

What was the warranty from the LVT and what kind of warranty did the flooring company give. Seems this would be on both a little to rectify the issues.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
What was the warranty from the LVT and what kind of warranty did the flooring company give. Seems this would be on both a little to rectify the issues.

Wife says it's out of warranty. Really I don't care at this point, house will be for sell early next year and I'm not going to put any more effort into it, just very disappointed that it hasn't held up better than that.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
This thread is scaring the shit out of me. I have a 3500 sq ft home that needs pretty much everything refloored. Bedroom I think I’ll just go carpet. Bathrooms are tile and don’t need to be redone. The rest is really up in the air.

3 k here. We left the upstairs bedrooms carpet for now. Will replace after I build the savings back up lol. Been a busy 6 months. New AC. Remodel kitchen. New pebble in the pool. Ya I know first world problems. [emoji23] I think if money was no object we would’ve gone with engineered hardwood. But doing 1700 sq ft and 16 stairs plus 2 landings we were kinda priced out. Not that we aren’t spending a a lot now. At least I really liked what we picked. Normally I could give a rats ass as long as the little woman is happy. [emoji33]

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
C’mon Hoot man up (need to give you back some of your grief about my metalworking) 😁
Lol... man up what? I'll be doing my baseboards...ez peezy. Shouldn't be a struggle like your tough off road light build. 😂😂😂