WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fly fishing advice in Wyoming/Montana

Cdog

Reaction score
So we’re headed up to Yellowstone/Idaho/Wyoming & Montana/Glacier national park in a couple of weeks for a family RV trip. All planned out 8 months ago. I figure it’s a good time to go while my kids still like to hang out with me.

I’ve wanted to fly fish since seeing a River Runs Through it when I was a kid.

Any advice on equipment & what to get? Looks like Sportsman’s has a rod kit for $150 for Father’s Day.

1EAC5A5A-CBDC-4D8D-8CFD-66FCD566B218.png

Most of my fishing success has been up in Big bear & lake Gregory fishing for trout on a treble hook leader or some kind of troller. While I’m decent at fishing if they’re biting I’m a much better bird & rabbit hunter.

Thanks in advance!

Your ad here

Reaction score
When you get there, confirm spots you ask about are actually real fishing spots. The locals like to send tourist on wild goose chase's.

welldigger00

Reaction score
I’ve flyfished most my life. One of the biggest things I can tell you, is don’t spend all your time false casting. The more time the bug is on the water the better chance you’ll catch fish. Everyone that starts casting will false cast a thousand times, then punch their presentation. All your wind loops and snags in trees happen in the false cast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AQUA-HOLICS

Reaction score
That set up your looking at is a good basic entry level combo. 9’ 5wt. rod is most common entry level rod and it comes pre spooled. I would purchase your flys at a local fly shop so they can help you with what’s working at that time. I just cam back from a week of fishing in the eastern Sierras, have fun!

DLC

Reaction score
I would love to do what your doing!

If it was me I would look for a guide or a class and focus on your technique in your area your headed to
This way you won’t learn bad habits and get to know the areas.....

I think it would be really cool to have a group of good friends and just head up to the sierras and just pay a guide or a shop to handle everything.... us show up!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So we’re headed up to Yellowstone/Idaho/Wyoming & Montana/Glacier national park in a couple of weeks for a family RV trip. All planned out 8 months ago. I figure it’s a good time to go while my kids still like to hang out with me.

I’ve wanted to fly fish since seeing a River Runs Through it when I was a kid.

Any advice on equipment & what to get? Looks like Sportsman’s has a rod kit for $150 for Father’s Day.

View attachment 1009649

Most of my fishing success has been up in Big bear & lake Gregory fishing for trout on a treble hook leader or some kind of troller. While I’m decent at fishing if they’re biting I’m a much better bird & rabbit hunter.

Thanks in advance!

Awesome. 👍

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Stop at last chance Idaho Henrys fork plenty of shops and river to fish mike Lawson fly fishing

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Beautiful country you’re headed to Corey - hope the trip exceeds your family’s expectations

if possible share the places you’re parking your 5’er as we’re looking to identify those locations

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
That set up your looking at is a good basic entry level combo. 9’ 5wt. rod is most common entry level rod and it comes pre spooled. I would purchase your flys at a local fly shop so they can help you with what’s working at that time. I just cam back from a week of fishing in the eastern Sierras, have fun!
If you’re so inclined throw up a little info on the fishing hunting section. I want to head up there soon but get frustrated at camping availability.

sirbob

Reaction score
Everything you need right here...

This day was near Hamilton - the Bitterroot Valley is the area the movie River Runs Through It was filmed - my business partner has a place on the Bitterroot River. We are there pretty regularly and Robert is a full outfitter - if you are not going to be near where he is he might still be able to set you up with a great guide. He also does elk hunts etc when not fly fishing.

D06BD51C-3B72-487D-BA5B-CDAF72DC541F.png

9DF8EBE5-9B31-49E2-AD0E-A108B962FD8E.png
05E399BA-16D7-4211-AEDE-F7D3F4AFEC1F.png
7B783B5F-56F0-4C78-A229-6E2CC259E16D.png
509428B0-EF2C-47B3-AD64-27ADBE3D9DC9.png

Last edited:

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
My Father In Law was an awesome fly fisherman. He started up on the Yuba, and later he guided for a few years up in Mammoth Lakes. He taught local kids at a nearby lake for the San Diego Fly Fishers Club. He took me along a few times and taught me a bunch. He spent countless hours tie-ing flies. He had boxes of them. I inherited a ton of gear when he passed. I planned to use it, but after a few years of it just sitting in my garage I realized it was all just going to get old and neglected. I ended up selling it to another enthusiast. Better than letting it go to waste here.

It takes a bit of practice to get decent at getting the rod to flex right to make a good cast. Down, UP! But it is really a hoot once you get it figured out. Enjoy your trip!

Starloans

Reaction score
I took a trip couple weeks ago through the Flaming Gorge Reservoir, lower area in Utah. Stayed a couple nights. The reservoir straddles the Utah Wyoming border. Stayed in a little town called Dutch John. They have some cabins there. Checked out the Flaming Gorge Dam. The Green River flows through there and below the dam is apparently world class fly fishing. I didn't fish but I would like to go back to fish. The reservoir looks like a great boating area when it's not covered in ice. Just before getting to Dutch John, I crossed the mountians in Ashley National Forest. Those are the pics with the deer. About 8300 feet ele. LOTS of places to pull off and camp and not many people. Here are some pics. I'll post a couple short vids also.
IMG_20210517_162721.jpg
IMG_20210517_162726.jpg
IMG_20210517_163040.jpg
IMG_20210517_163206.jpg
IMG_20210517_163252.jpg
IMG_20210517_170244.jpg
IMG_20210517_170802.jpg
IMG_20210517_171011.jpg
IMG_20210518_114904.jpg
IMG_20210518_114921.jpg
IMG_20210518_114928.jpg
IMG_20210518_115531.jpg
IMG_20210518_120156.jpg
IMG_20210518_120207.jpg
IMG_20210518_120232.jpg
IMG_20210518_120240.jpg
IMG_20210518_121009.jpg
IMG_20210518_154941.jpg

jonnyd

Reaction score
My first fly rod was a similar set up and it's still going strong after 20+ years. With that being said if you get hooked on fly fishing you may want to upgrade to something a little better. Sportsman Wearhouse sells a Rod made by Fenwick called AETOS. The 9', 5 weight sells for under $200 and it is a really good rod. You would still need to purchase a reel "Only used for holding the line" so you do not need an expensive one and some good fly line.

If you have the fly shop put the line on the reel ask them to put a looped butt section on the end of the fly line that is colored red or green. The butt section makes it easier to change out leaders as well as acting as a strike indicator for you to look at while nymphing. You can purchase a 3 pack of pre-looped leaders that attach to the looped butt section of your fly line. 5X tapered leaders should suffice for most of the fishing you will do in that part of the country.

I would purchase the following flies for anywhere I am going to fish in the west. I would also try to purchase barbless hooks or get used to pinching them down as many streams are now barbless only.
Elk Hair Caddis "Dry fly" 12 to 14 size
Parachute Adams "Dry Fly" 12 to 14 size
PT Nymph Tungsten if you can get them 14 to 16
Any other small black nymphs size 14 to 16 Tungsten if available
Olive green Leech's 12 to 14 in size
Grasshopper patterns used for "hopper dropper" fishing

Pick up some floatant for the dry fly's as this will help with the presentation of your fly and also learn how to tie an improved clinch knot to attach your fly to your leader. You will also want to pick up some 5x tippet. Youtube has lots of good instructional videos on tying these knots. I personally like "Reds Fly Shop" as he has some good useful videos.

Most of your fishing will most likely be nymphing so you will need some split shot to get the fly's down to the fish. If your not hitting the bottom or getting hung up occasionally you need more split shot.

Your trip will bring you near many good fly fishing rivers. Get a pair of polarized sun glasses and start paying attention to the river. Most likely you will see fish holding behind rocks, stumps and at the rear edge of bends in the stream. The region you are visiting can have some EPIC hatches in the last 2 hours before dark. Be ready with a dry fly as the fish can get into a feeding frenzy which helps your chances of catching fish.

Take a few minutes at each river or area you will be fishing and look for any movement on the water. Keep an eye out for bugs crawling on the rocks and any other insects hatching or landing on the water. This is a good sign to try and match what they are eating.

As someone else mentioned most rivers do not have much of an area to cast as they have lots of trees and brush so nymphing ends up being a good go to method. You will be flipping your line upstream after each pass.

You will need multiple fishing licenses if your going to fish in the states you mentioned. Stop at the local fly shops as they will always have a couple of go to fly's that are working well.

welldigger00

Reaction score
Check out “Bob Marriotts” fly fishing store in Anaheim I think. It’s off the 91 maybe near the 5. It’s the chaparral of fly fishing. I’ve given them 10’s of thousands over the last 20 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HavaToon

Reaction score
We are headed on that exact trip 2nd half of July…Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Tetons and Glacier. Would love to hear notes from your trip about what you liked and didn’t like.

Sorry, no advise on the fly fishing. We’ve been booked for a year for the trip and booking excursions for the last few months. Most everything is all booked up. We did score a couple white water rafting days: 1 on the Snake River and 1 in Glacier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraDave

Reaction score
Our family leaves on a trip to Montana tomorrow. I’m really excited. We all have never been there.

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Instead of wasting money on all the tackle, use that money for a guide float. They’ll have the tackle and put you on the fish.

If you don’t know how to fly fish, you’re getting skunked. They’ll teach you on the guide trip.

AzMandella

Reaction score
My first fly rod was a similar set up and it's still going strong after 20+ years. With that being said if you get hooked on fly fishing you may want to upgrade to something a little better. Sportsman Wearhouse sells a Rod made by Fenwick called AETOS. The 9', 5 weight sells for under $200 and it is a really good rod. You would still need to purchase a reel "Only used for holding the line" so you do not need an expensive one and some good fly line.

If you have the fly shop put the line on the reel ask them to put a looped butt section on the end of the fly line that is colored red or green. The butt section makes it easier to change out leaders as well as acting as a strike indicator for you to look at while nymphing. You can purchase a 3 pack of pre-looped leaders that attach to the looped butt section of your fly line. 5X tapered leaders should suffice for most of the fishing you will do in that part of the country.

I would purchase the following flies for anywhere I am going to fish in the west. I would also try to purchase barbless hooks or get used to pinching them down as many streams are now barbless only.
Elk Hair Caddis "Dry fly" 12 to 14 size
Parachute Adams "Dry Fly" 12 to 14 size
PT Nymph Tungsten if you can get them 14 to 16
Any other small black nymphs size 14 to 16 Tungsten if available
Olive green Leech's 12 to 14 in size
Grasshopper patterns used for "hopper dropper" fishing

Pick up some floatant for the dry fly's as this will help with the presentation of your fly and also learn how to tie an improved clinch knot to attach your fly to your leader. You will also want to pick up some 5x tippet. Youtube has lots of good instructional videos on tying these knots. I personally like "Reds Fly Shop" as he has some good useful videos.

Most of your fishing will most likely be nymphing so you will need some split shot to get the fly's down to the fish. If your not hitting the bottom or getting hung up occasionally you need more split shot.

Your trip will bring you near many good fly fishing rivers. Get a pair of polarized sun glasses and start paying attention to the river. Most likely you will see fish holding behind rocks, stumps and at the rear edge of bends in the stream. The region you are visiting can have some EPIC hatches in the last 2 hours before dark. Be ready with a dry fly as the fish can get into a feeding frenzy which helps your chances of catching fish.

Take a few minutes at each river or area you will be fishing and look for any movement on the water. Keep an eye out for bugs crawling on the rocks and any other insects hatching or landing on the water. This is a good sign to try and match what they are eating.

As someone else mentioned most rivers do not have much of an area to cast as they have lots of trees and brush so nymphing ends up being a good go to method. You will be flipping your line upstream after each pass.

You will need multiple fishing licenses if your going to fish in the states you mentioned. Stop at the local fly shops as they will always have a couple of go to fly's that are working well.
Very good advise here . If you walk into a fly shop to buy your first setup they will always sell you a 9' 5wt . It is a good all round rod capable of dry fly , nymph , and streamer fishing . Careful though it can get addicting and expensive . I have probably close to 40 rods . Everything from 6' 2wt to 9' 12wt . Scott rods are my favorite but have a alot of sage Xi III's for salt . I also tie all my own flies and build rods . Been fly fishing for almost 50yrs .
I would add to the list of flies.
the Elk hair caddis get olive black and brown .
For the leeches try and get Semi Seal leaches if they have them .
I would also get some buggers in size 8 and 10 in olive ,black ,brown, and believe it or not purple .
And son't forget ant patterns in black and red in size 12 to 16
Remember fly fishing is not just for trout.

Tarpon in Southern texas
laguna_export-28.jpg

Redfish in Texas
laguna_export-56.jpg

Browns in Az White Mountains

i.jpg

Permit In Mexico
IMG_0876.JPG

Here is my dining room table as we speak 3 Rods in the works
TFO Finesse 7'9" 3wt Graphite (green)
Kabuto 8' 5wt fiberglass (white)
Tom Morgan 7'6" 4wt (brown)

20210605_075300.jpg

20210605_075346.jpg

And then when you completely loose it you tie all your own flies. Been tieing since I was 13
IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG

hallett21

Reaction score
Instead of wasting money on all the tackle, use that money for a guide float. They’ll have the tackle and put you on the fish.

If you don’t know how to fly fish, you’re getting skunked. They’ll teach you on the guide trip.

One of the best trips I had was with a guide on the Colorado [emoji1303]