WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Flying to the River

hallett21

Reaction score
I know right now no one is flying.

But previously was there any way to fly into king man, bullhead, havasu etc commercially?

Wife’s new job and schedule have been nuts. Wanted to know if there was a way for her to fly out of LAX to the desert.

The idea being I could go pick her up on Friday nights and she could either fly home or drive back with me. Looks like Vegas is the only option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
There was some flights into bullhead from Phoenix and I believe LaX.. I think they cancelled them though

hallett21

Reaction score
There was also a guy running a 210 as a commuter from some airport in the corona area to Havasu or Parker for like 75.00

it was called flight share.

I had heard about the bulkhead one. But when I punch it in on Kayak basically a PJ pops up at 5 grand.

When you go to Vegas is it an honest 2.5 drive?

Looking into trying that next weekend. Ill drive out Thursday night and go boating Friday. Then pick her up 7pm in Vegas. The problem is sending her home at 8pm Sunday from Vegas. After 2.5 hours we are halfway home.

Trying to decide if it’s worth it or if I’ll just drive home with her.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Find a friend with a plan, bring your Visa card, works great.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
There's an App called BlackBird that's used for flight sharing but you have to have Baller Bucks to fly. Round Trip from SoCal to Havasu is around $1600 per person :eek: You could probably hire a Limo with All You Can Drink Booze for half of that, lol.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
You can also do netjets like some friends of ours do, its only $14,000 a month membership dues, with that you are guaranteed a jet to get you anywhere in the world in four hours. After that its roughly $5000 an hour for the rental with crew. People we know do this from John Wayne to Havasu every few weeks.

cofooter

Reaction score
A few commercial airlines used to fly commuter planes into Havasu from a couple of cities. I have forgotten who they were but I flew there a few times connecting out of Phoenix. That was 20 yrs ago.

Tank

Reaction score
I keep saying it, commercial into Havasu will be back soon I'm betting. Place is just way to popular now.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
There's an App called BlackBird that's used for flight sharing but you have to have Baller Bucks to fly. Round Trip from SoCal to Havasu is around $1600 per person :eek: You could probably hire a Limo with All You Can Drink Booze for half of that, lol.

I would send mine for 1/2 that lol

Richard.E

Reaction score
Why can’t you go get your PPL?

Then you can fly yourself and the Mrs to & from havasu whenever you want.
Problem solved.

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score

Problem solved.

That’s the ultimate goal. Just need to make it a priority over work lol

grumpy88

Reaction score

Problem solved.
Cost . Never mind the license cost . Plane rental on something larger then a 2 seater ie .wife ,dogs,cooler the plane becomes expensive . For normal people it becomes cheaper just to take more time off work .

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I plant the seed all the time For Alaska Airlines to start service to Havasu. If it keeps growing it will be feasible, but some runway improvements would be ideal. The location of the airport with regard to the mountains is not ideal. It could also be a little longer and wider runway for heavy airplanes to deal with the performance in the summer heat.

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Do it...
Leave my Murrieta house at 8 am and be at my Havi house by 10am, Hardly any traffic even on holidays 🙂
611EC4AC-9F49-4AA7-8551-5C906C98D395.jpeg

elco

Reaction score
Cost . Never mind the license cost . Plane rental on something larger then a 2 seater ie .wife ,dogs,cooler the plane becomes expensive . For normal people it becomes cheaper just to take more time off work .

You might be surprised. Rented a Piper Cherokee a few years ago to go to Havasu for memorial Day weekend right after i got my PPL. Round trip from Upland to Havasu was right around $500 wet. The hard part is finding a rental with no daily minimum.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
You might be surprised. Rented a Piper Cherokee a few years ago to go to Havasu for memorial Day weekend right after i got my PPL. Round trip from Upland to Havasu was right around $500 wet. The hard part is finding a rental with no daily minimum.
PlusOne Flyers is about as good as it gets for rentals

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I plant the seed all the time For Alaska Airlines to start service to Havasu. If it keeps growing it will be feasible, but some runway improvements would be ideal. The location of the airport with regard to the mountains is not ideal. It could also be a little longer and wider runway for heavy airplanes to deal with the performance in the summer heat.

Honestly I hope they don’t bring that to Havasu. As convenient as it would be it’s nice not hearing jets take off and fly over head all the time. It’s one of the main things I notice when I go back to California or large cities

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Getting your PPL is a commitment. I will say a nice and rewarding challenge. I like being able to fly where and when I want to especiatlly now. I am working on my IFR ticket and building more hours. I fly at least once a week. As with anything - is it for everyone? No. I am not a netjet or blackbird customer prospect at this point either.

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
The last time I flew into Havasu I was the one flying the plane. It's been a while though...

Reactions: SJP

78Southwind

Reaction score
If your wife can handle the crazy train that would be my suggestion. My girl works in Irvine hops on the train in Fullerton and I pick her up in Needles.

robert1050

Reaction score
"If your wife can handle the crazy train that would be my suggestion. My girl works in Irvine hops on the train in Fullerton and I pick her up in Needles."

Yeah, I did that a couple of times with my wife, we were living in Anaheim Hills at the time and it worked well.

hallett21

Reaction score
If your wife can handle the crazy train that would be my suggestion. My girl works in Irvine hops on the train in Fullerton and I pick her up in Needles.

Doesn’t that take like 18 hours ?

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Honestly I hope they don’t bring that to Havasu. As convenient as it would be it’s nice not hearing jets take off and fly over head all the time. It’s one of the main things I notice when I go back to California or large cities

It would most likely be a turbo prop, and only one or possibly 2 flights a day, so it wouldn’t be too bad. I totally understand your point though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

78Southwind

Reaction score
Doesn’t that take like 18 hours ?

It's been a while but I think it is a little less than 6 hours from Fullerton to Needles. The train leaves around 6:30 PM and gets there around 12:15 AM. It worked good for us when she couldn't get the entire week off. The train ride home is what sucks since the train leaves after midnight but she could get a sleeper if she wanted.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
It would most likely be a turbo prop, and only one or possibly 2 flights a day, so it wouldn’t be too bad. I totally understand your point though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless someone wants to kick in some money, it seems like the airlines want a whole bunch of boardings a year to start service.

Havasu used to be on the Essential Air Service list, which gave an airline Federal dollars to serve a city. I don't think there are any city's in AZ that qualify anymore though.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
You can also do netjets like some friends of ours do, its only $14,000 a month membership dues, with that you are guaranteed a jet to get you anywhere in the world in four hours. After that its roughly $5000 an hour for the rental with crew. People we know do this from John Wayne to Havasu every few weeks.

My buddy is a pilot for netjet. Good gig. He works 7 days on 7 days off. Has flown a bunch of stars around.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score

I would be on the 1st Flight and using my my Alaska Frequent Flyer miles! Driving from OC to Havasu can be brutal on a Friday night. Sometimes it takes 2 hours just to get to Corona.

Rbcconst

Reaction score

How long is that train ride and how much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

boatpi

Reaction score
I believe Prescott still gets money so flights from LAX to Prescott unless they are gone in CV19. It was U S Airways that flew for years on a turbo prop into Havasu from LAs Vegas, then PHX. I use to take the flights from SNA. No regular jet service into Havasu. If you push it you can drive from Havazoo to LAS in 2 hours. That would be the way to go. They do have commuter vans too, and check one way Hertz rentals too.

WildWilly

Reaction score
Jet Blue flys Long beach to bullhead. A friend of mine has done it and its pretty cheap. But I'm not sure of availablity at the current moment

hallett21

Reaction score
So I found on Amtrak LAX/Union Station to Needles in 6 hours. Sleeper is 204 each way.

The return train leaves needles at midnight and gets in at 8am. Might not be bad way to go for now.

HCP3

Reaction score
So I found on Amtrak LAX/Union Station to Needles in 6 hours. Sleeper is 204 each way.

The return train leaves needles at midnight and gets in at 8am. Might not be bad way to go for now.

So you are not buying a Gulfstream?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

$408 round trip, damn

WATERDOG

Eliminator Eagle Flying free in the heavens above!
Reaction score
My Wife kind of likes the train. I hate picking her up after midnight though. I don't have to do it again until tomorrow.

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
It’s much cheaper if you’re not in the sleeper. $54 one way

78Southwind

Reaction score
My Wife kind of likes the train. I hate picking her up after midnight though. I don't have to do it again until tomorrow.

I am sure your wife has some good stories about riding the train on Holiday Weeks. We don't call it the Crazy Train for nothing.

gqchris

Reaction score
I am sure your wife has some good stories about riding the train on Holiday Weeks. We don't call it the Crazy Train for nothing.

I used to take the train from Irvine to San Diego all the time. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Im sure it may be a different crowd on the Needles stop though. LOL

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I have taken the train numerous times so has the rest of the fam. fullerton to needles is right at 6 hrs....10 bux round trip....we usually only need to do one way tho...highly recommend

WATERDOG

Eliminator Eagle Flying free in the heavens above!
Reaction score
She doesn't come on Holiday's but yes she has good story's. Very trip is a new adventure.

hallett21

Reaction score
I have taken the train numerous times so has the rest of the fam. fullerton to needles is right at 6 hrs....10 bux round trip....we usually only need to do one way tho...highly recommend

Have you done the sleeper or just normal seats?