WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Food Vacuum Sealer Bags

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I just got a FoodSaver brand vacu-sealer and was looking for more bags, but the FoodSaver brand are really expensive, there are other brands, but are they as good of quality as the FoodSaver brand and stay sealed and are they strong enough so when the air is pulled out bones won't poke through the bag.

What's the inmate consensus?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I just got a FoodSaver brand vacu-sealer and was looking for more bags, but the FoodSaver brand are really expensive, there are other brands, but are they as good of quality as the FoodSaver brand and stay sealed and are they strong enough so when the air is pulled out bones won't poke through the bag.

What's the inmate consensus?

I get these.

VacYaYa 6 Pack 8"x20'(3Rolls) and11"x20' (3Rolls) Food Saver Vacuum Sealer Bags Rolls for Food Saver,Seal a Meal,Weston. BPA Free and Heavy Duty Sous Vide Vaccume Seal Bags Rolls for Food Storage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZJQGHZL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_86Z62Z3DWPC23XPVNF9S

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
I order these off Amazon. They work great.
35A49785-8B2D-4971-9111-F115C6DC299D.png

sintax

Reaction score
That’s a big reason I went with a chamber sealer, instead of the end sealer Food Saver.

The chamber bags are just a fraction, and I can seal gallon bags of soup! The up front cost of the chamber units are more though, and the size is a huge downside.

I’d recommend getting USA made bags if you intend on sous vide or any boiling of the bags. I don’t trust the chinamen not to use crazy chemicals.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Any of thecrolls off Amazon work, I have used a few different brands with good results.

Cdog

Reaction score
I buy the Amazon ones posted above

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses - I just wanted to make sure that the Amazon ones weren’t the cheap ass ones that didn’t seal or they rip easily.

dave29

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses - I just wanted to make sure that the Amazon ones weren’t the cheap ass ones that didn’t seal or they rip easily.
I but the Amazon bags also. Had good luck with them and they are a fraction of the cost and large selection of sizes.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Which model do you guys use? I see them on Amazon $49 to $339. I hate having a bunch of little appliances on the kitchen counters. Will I use it?

76009F3E-B70E-4499-824F-4A6F0A61B127.jpeg

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Which model do you guys use? I see them on Amazon $49 to $339. I hate having a bunch of little appliances on the kitchen counters. Will I use it?
we use the living hell out of ours. We are almost 30 miles from town and don't like making daily trips so we buy and freeze extra. not sure what model, have had it for at least 7 years.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score

View attachment 1045230
I got 5860, I got it online from Kohl’s, they were discounting it like $60 with free shipping. After tax it was still a little cheaper than Amazon before they charge $30 for taxes, plus I got 3 months of XM for free. 👍

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
This.... I think the packs are usually less than $20 and come with a shit ton of them.

Same here.....You can just pick up the stuff at Costco and know you are getting the true Food Saver bags instead of some cheap knockoff stuff.

Baja Mike.....Yes....you will use it if you shop at Costco's, Sams Clubs etc. I always lay out one steak and then seal up the other steaks one per pack. I also make a pot of 'sgetti and then freeze a couple of bags of it as well. Great for meats or anything you might freeze....keeps it all fresh and saves money on bulk purchases.

I am pretty sure I have that bigger one. It would be the one that is usually on the shelf at Costco.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score

View attachment 1045230
We have the 2nd one down of those. Now that there is just 2 of use we use it a lot. Buy bulk for less and freeze dinner size portions. Mine stays in a cabinet in the garage so out of the way.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
That’s a big reason I went with a chamber sealer, instead of the end sealer Food Saver.

The chamber bags are just a fraction, and I can seal gallon bags of soup! The up front cost of the chamber units are more though, and the size is a huge downside.

I’d recommend getting USA made bags if you intend on sous vide or any boiling of the bags. I don’t trust the chinamen not to use crazy chemicals.

What’s a chamber sealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cdog

Reaction score

Occasionally they do get a hole from the bone on a porterhouse/Tbone. I hit the sharp edges with meat shears before packing. It works most of the time.

sintax

Reaction score
What’s a chamber sealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s a different style machine. A foodsaver unit sucks the air out of the bag, and then seals.

A chamber sealer draws vacuum on a chamber, around the bag. They don’t require special bags, and are typically more industrial built units.

That’s the upgraded model of mine.

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
I bought a couple cases from U Line . If you know someone with an account. Can't remember the price but it was a good deal.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
It’s a different style machine. A foodsaver unit sucks the air out of the bag, and then seals.

A chamber sealer draws vacuum on a chamber, around the bag. They don’t require special bags, and are typically more industrial built units.

That’s the upgraded model of mine.

Chambers are a superior product all the way around, the catch is upfront cost and overall size you need to store. The entire bag needs to fit in the chamber. Cost start closer to $1000 vs well under $100 for the vacuum sealer. The food saver style does not deal well with any type of liquid in the process - think of something as simple as a little juice from some meat. They then don't seal right all too often. The chamber style can seal a bag of water without issue.
My Costco special is starting to act weird and might be dying. After about 10 years, I think I got my money out of it. When it passes, I will be going to a chamber.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Whatever you bag and seal, don’t forget to label what it’s contents are. I have sooooo many mystery bags in my freezer that my wife has failed to label. It makes meal planning very interesting sometimes.

sintax

Reaction score
Chambers are a superior product all the way around, the catch is upfront cost and overall size you need to store. The entire bag needs to fit in the chamber. Cost start closer to $1000 vs well under $100 for the vacuum sealer. The food saver style does not deal well with any type of liquid in the process - think of something as simple as a little juice from some meat. They then don't seal right all too often. The chamber style can seal a bag of water without issue.
My Costco special is starting to act weird and might be dying. After about 10 years, I think I got my money out of it. When it passes, I will be going to a chamber.

trust me man, once you get a chamber sealer you wont go back. Its such a robust unit and being able to do liquids is key. When I smoke meats, say a pork shoulder, I'll always be left with 8-16 oz of pig juice left over after resting. I'll always vac seal a small bag of that juice to rehydrate the pork a bit after I defrost and reheat the pork.

Same goes for doing a big pot of chicken stock, having that stuff on hand and in small single use bags is crazy handy.

another plus of the chamber is being able to use any bag you want. I have some super thick ones which i'd use on a ribeye steak w/ a bone so you dont get the above mentioned punctures

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
trust me man, once you get a chamber sealer you wont go back. Its such a robust unit and being able to do liquids is key. When I smoke meats, say a pork shoulder, I'll always be left with 8-16 oz of pig juice left over after resting. I'll always vac seal a small bag of that juice to rehydrate the pork a bit after I defrost and reheat the pork.

Same goes for doing a big pot of chicken stock, having that stuff on hand and in small single use bags is crazy handy.

another plus of the chamber is being able to use any bag you want. I have some super thick ones which i'd use on a ribeye steak w/ a bone so you dont get the above mentioned punctures

I'm with you on this. However until the old one dies, the wife has expressly forbidden a chamber from showing up........

The thought has crossed my mind to...... nevermind. :)

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
It also goes without saying…if you have a vacuum sealer, you really should be doing sous vide as well [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

Costco has a bitchin deal on one that comes with a pile of bags/rolls right now....I have that one...and buy the refills there...

hipcash

Reaction score
Chamber vacuum sealer & Sous Vide ribeye steak. The chamber vac is well worth the extra cost

Attachments

• View recent photos.jpg
    View recent photos.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 33

stoker2001

Reaction score
^^^^this

stoker2001

Reaction score

YES sir,5mm bags are available but pricey

sintax

Reaction score
YES sir,5mm bags are available but pricey

yea, i dont use them for everything, but I do have them on hand. Fair note about the thicker bags, i've noticed I have to crank up my seal time on those to get a good seal.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Same here.....You can just pick up the stuff at Costco and know you are getting the true Food Saver bags instead of some cheap knockoff stuff.

Baja Mike.....Yes....you will use it if you shop at Costco's, Sams Clubs etc. I always lay out one steak and then seal up the other steaks one per pack. I also make a pot of 'sgetti and then freeze a couple of bags of it as well. Great for meats or anything you might freeze....keeps it all fresh and saves money on bulk purchases.

I am pretty sure I have that bigger one. It would be the one that is usually on the shelf at Costco.

Thanks Tom for the info. Costco in Palm Desert didn’t have them today.