WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Foot throttles on an I/O?

traquer

Reaction score
Saw a pretty cool boat that had a 496 but with a foot throttle. Sounds annoying as hell to drive and a good way to eat outdrives!

Am I missing something or is this a jet-bote to outdrive training wheel device?

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Saw a pretty cool boat that had a 496 but with a foot throttle. Sounds annoying as hell to drive and a good way to eat outdrives!

Extremely common in the performance outboard world. Going fast, you want both hands on the wheel, and control of the throttle is kinda important too! Ideally, trim is either turn signal style, or in the wheel.

Welcome to actual performance!

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Buddy has one on his deck boat with a 496. Says he loves it. No drive issues .

billy610

Reaction score
My DCB 24 Extreme had a foot throttle. I loved it but I'm a Parker guy. If I was on a lake doing longer runs I'd probably have a different opinion.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
One of my buddies runs a foot throttle on everything. I think he even put a foot throttle on a 30 daytona.

I have considered putting a foot throttle in my Velocity.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

We had this on a 23' Eliminator Eagle with a Merc 525SC and Bravo drive. It was much easier to drive with both hands on the wheel and trim buttons on the steering wheel. Boat had hydraulic assist not full hydraulic so the steering was not as smooth and easy as full hydraulic, so it was kind of tough to drive with one hand anyway.

I will say that we came from a jet boat where we were more used to that arrangement. We kept the side throttle/shift for just the shifting.

That was the only boat we did that too. Everything after was hand throttles and shift, but they were all bigger boats.

dezrtracer

Reaction score
Have driven both and like the foot throttle better . No issues with a Max Machine Bravo 1 drive with full hydraulic steering serviced every year but, I take it pretty easy too . Think is more a personal preference

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
Both of our Mach 26's had foot throttles. One was twin O/B one was an I/O. I prefer traditional offshore throttles personally.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
How else you do you hold your beer, steer, and work the throttle?

😂
90D6FDA3-F8E8-4ED5-8DD8-0630F69B7139.jpeg

77charger

Reaction score
I grew up with a jet boat so ft throttle was natural.

When I got an I/o took a bit to get use to hand throttle but I can definitely react quicker to a foot throttle.

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score
Grandfather's Eliminator V-drive was foot throttle. All us kids learned how to drive in that boat. Once dad got the family float, the hand throttle had to be learned LOL.
That old v-drive was a blast. Give her throttle, she would jump up on plane, shift gears and mat it...she ran pretty good back in the day.

traquer

Reaction score
Ah I guess it makes sense then. I've only seen it on V-drives. My experience with pedals has been driving my buddy's 22 jet boat and everything about that boat from the throttle to the hard as hell steering took getting used to. But at least I could hold beer with one free hand hahah

farmo83

Reaction score
My Schiada IO has a foot throttle.

For the most part I'm not that big of a fan. It's great at high speeds to have both hands on the wheel. However most of the time just rolling around it can be a pain. Also to trying to hold a steady speed pulling skiers or tubers, etc can get old.

Taboma

Reaction score
My 22' Cole NH has both foot and hand. 😁 Had it installed new in '98 that way. Two handle controller made by " In-Control", so you can use either one or as your needs vary ---- with ONE important caveat.
I primarily use the foot throttle as it offers a far quicker reaction and allows for both hands on the wheel when you want to explore it's performance potential.
I use the hand throttle option for cruising, or in mondo-washing machine conditions where the foot throttle can be jerky. Also allows the driver to relax your legs and move them around more freely.

The "CAUTION Will Rogers" caveat is, in as much as the hand throttle will fully increase and decrease RPM, when you return to using the foot throttle, you MUST immediately return the hand throttle to it's lowest position. Otherwise, the foot throttle can not decrease more than the hand throttle is set for.
Obviously, this could be dangerous and why Jim Cole had me sign a ' Release of Liability' stating I was acknowledging this factor.

Hard, fast, never broken rule is --- Foot on foot throttle, hand throttle is pulled all the way back. You never use both simultaneously.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
For genuine high performance/race applications, it's always a foot throttle for me (unless you're going the driver and separate throttleman route which I don't like since I don't trust anyone else to run the throttles when I drive). Many years ago, all of Nordskog's offshore race boats had a foot throttle and they were stand-up cockpits, no seats, just bolsters. I used to race his 27 Magnum offshore boat with a pair of OMC V-6 outboards standing up with a foot throttle. This was a learned skill.

Western Flyer

Reaction score
Extremely common in the performance outboard world. Going fast, you want both hands on the wheel, and control of the throttle is kinda important too! Ideally, trim is either turn signal style, or in the wheel.

Welcome to actual performance!
The real high performance guys are running with a throttleman with sticks.

hallett21

Reaction score
Unless you have drop out seats for offshore running, I prefer a foot throttle.

Way smoother shifts as well (compared to a standard F/N/R shifter/throttle). Offshore controls effectively shift the same as the foot throttle set up.

1fastsedan

Reaction score
I believe I'm the only Howard 220 with a foot throttle, it was a request from the original owner. I added one to may last Hallett 210. I like the safety aspect, both hands on the wheel and if I get tossed, everything goes to idle.

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
Foot throttle all day. I can't stand not having both hands on the wheel. Even in my dads old F29 I hated the stick throttles.

performance boaters might get a kick out of this. I just picked up a twin outboard cat. It has a split foot throttle (one for each motor), the pedal on the left isn't just a foot rest, thats the trim pedal, press the top to trim up, press the bottom to trim down. Buttons in the center are tunnel tabs trims. never have to let go of the wheel for anything

1.png

ltbaney1

Reaction score
I prefer them. Especially on outboards. It’s a natural feeling to use your foot, and if you get tossed out of the seat, it goes back to idle. It feels safer to me
I prefer them as well, never thought about getting tossed out and the return, i just like the stability. i do enjoy the hand throttle on my toon though. And not to poke the bear, i believe you have more experience than i do, but shouldnt the lanyard kill switch shut the motor down before the throttle could return? not trying to argue, neither of my floats have a lanyard switch, but have been considering adding one on the jet bote.

85RiverRAT

Working my way up!
Reaction score
I drove a Mach 26 500EFI with a foot pedal. Interesting experience, the 'touch' on the throttle is very different. Can't really set it and forget it like a hand control. Having both hands on the wheel once you are rollin' was important so it made sense in that boat.

Thinking back now the DCB was easier to drive with the foot pedal than the 27 Ultra Shadow with offshore controls. Hard to find the happy spot with the Ultra, felt like I was working a lot harder with the throttle. A lot of that too, probably just the difference between the two boats.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Foot throttle all day. I can't stand not having both hands on the wheel. Even in my dads old F29 I hated the stick throttles.

performance boaters might get a kick out of this. I just picked up a twin outboard cat. It has a split foot throttle (one for each motor), the pedal on the left isn't just a foot rest, thats the trim pedal, press the top to trim up, press the bottom to trim down. Buttons in the center are tunnel tabs trims. never have to let go of the wheel for anything

View attachment 1214055
very cool setup. some of the land speed guys (danny thompson in paticular) who are running twin engine streamliners run the same type of throttle.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I prefer them as well, never thought about getting tossed out and the return, i just like the stability. i do enjoy the hand throttle on my toon though. And not to poke the bear, i believe you have more experience than i do, but shouldnt the lanyard kill switch shut the motor down before the throttle could return? not trying to argue, neither of my floats have a lanyard switch, but have been considering adding one on the jet bote.

Yes it should if you have it wear a landyard. It’s just another fail safe

farmo83

Reaction score
My 22' Cole NH has both foot and hand. 😁 Had it installed new in '98 that way. Two handle controller made by " In-Control", so you can use either one or as your needs vary ---- with ONE important caveat.
I primarily use the foot throttle as it offers a far quicker reaction and allows for both hands on the wheel when you want to explore it's performance potential.
I use the hand throttle option for cruising, or in mondo-washing machine conditions where the foot throttle can be jerky. Also allows the driver to relax your legs and move them around more freely.

The "CAUTION Will Rogers" caveat is, in as much as the hand throttle will fully increase and decrease RPM, when you return to using the foot throttle, you MUST immediately return the hand throttle to it's lowest position. Otherwise, the foot throttle can not decrease more than the hand throttle is set for.
Obviously, this could be dangerous and why Jim Cole had me sign a ' Release of Liability' stating I was acknowledging this factor.

Hard, fast, never broken rule is --- Foot on foot throttle, hand throttle is pulled all the way back. You never use both simultaneously.
A family friend of ours fabbed a setup like this up in the 80's was really cool. I've never seen a similar setup. He had a a foot pedal, and a two handle side mount shifter. One handle on the side mount ran the 3 speed and one was for the throttle if it was hooked up.

He had cables run to the back and the way he ran them with the length you could just unplug one at the carberator and hook up the other one.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I prefer a foot throttle and left side drive. The thing I most enjoy about river boats is driving them and a left side drive and foot throttle just feels natural. Right side European style drive is just wrong and combined with hand throttle is super boring.

DC-88

Reaction score

Depending on the boat, the 496 is likely the training device ;)
I drove a Mach 26 500EFI with a foot pedal. Interesting experience, the 'touch' on the throttle is very different. Can't really set it and forget it like a hand control. Having both hands on the wheel once you are rollin' was important so it made sense in that boat.
A good buddy of mine @framer1 had a couple nice new 26 DCB's the first of which was a Mach with a Blue 500 , foot throttle, foot trim, which I prefer to drive with as well on a single engine setup . To stay past the porpoise speed range his motto was always " I may not be the fastest, but I NEVER let off " . He got his money's worth from that motor for sure, and the drive lived the duration of when he owned that one.

Last edited:

Boat211

Reaction score
Outboard as well but run foot throttle on most everything I own.

Attachments

• FC2A2968-7130-4B88-987A-E1E03133648E.jpeg
    FC2A2968-7130-4B88-987A-E1E03133648E.jpeg
    633.3 KB · Views: 32

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I had a foot throttle on my Blown IO AO 2600 and wouldn't have wanted it any other way.
Twin IOs I would prefer twin stick to maneuver better around the docks.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Anything that is sit down I'd prefer foot throttle, but don't mind hand either.. If you are sit / stand then hand..

RD

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I’m not clear on the “set it and forget it” action on the hand throttle. Isn’t a return to idle spring required in a hand throttle? Just like a foot throttle?

Both the 26 and 30 with the hand throttle will slow down if I take my hand off the throttle. It’s not like snap back immediate but it does start decelerating. Obviously run the lanyard if I want full stop.

SoCalZero

Reaction score
I like foot pedals on v-drive, outboard and jets. I don’t mind a hand throttle on an I/O. Like others said it would be nice to have a foot throttle where your legs are more flat. Here is mine. Throttle and brake pedals.
6A34A84D-C515-4175-87B1-48DC0E4C95D4.jpeg

Bajastu

Reaction score
When I rigged my Hallett 19SS with a new outboard and NEMA 2000 I had a hand throttle and a foot throttle. Both were fly by wire controled and switchable on the dash screen. It was a cool setup for speed runs with both hands on the wheel or comfort runs with the hand throttle holding position.

My Hallett Vector I/O had a hand throttle and a foot throttle. They worked in conjunction with each other. It was super easy to install. You could use the hand throttle to put it in gear and then use the foot throttle to modulate the throttle. If I was tired of holding the throttle with my foot, I just used the hand throttle to hold the speed. The return spring was on the foot throttle, not the hand throttle.

Last edited:

traquer

Reaction score
I’m not clear on the “set it and forget it” action on the hand throttle. Isn’t a return to idle spring required in a hand throttle? Just like a foot throttle?

Both the 26 and 30 with the hand throttle will slow down if I take my hand off the throttle. It’s not like snap back immediate but it does start decelerating. Obviously run the lanyard if I want full stop.
Must be a go-fast boat dealio, I've never had a hand throttle that did that haha

Wayn-o

Reaction score
Both my old Warlock and my Hallet Vector have I/Os and a foot throttle.
1680226487915.png
1680226507363.png

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
I believe I'm the only Howard 220 with a foot throttle, it was a request from the original owner. I added one to may last Hallett 210. I like the safety aspect, both hands on the wheel and if I get tossed, everything goes to idle.
This Howard also has a foot throttle. Fun boat to drive and definitely requires a foot throttle at speeds to have both hands on The wheel. Also easier to catch the blower serge when shifting. There’s a reason this particular boat made a magazine cover it’s honestly a great 22’ boat.

Attachments

• BFF41351-1D9F-42E7-9984-D3BF1399806C.jpeg
    BFF41351-1D9F-42E7-9984-D3BF1399806C.jpeg
    485.8 KB · Views: 48

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This Howard also has a foot throttle. Fun boat to drive and definitely requires a foot throttle at speeds to have both hands on The wheel. Also easier to catch the blower serge when shifting. There’s a reason this particular boat made a magazine cover it’s honestly a great 22’ boat.

How fast did you get that thing running? I have always heard the 22’s had handling issues past mid 70’s

farmo83

Reaction score
How fast did you get that thing running? I have always heard the 22’s had handling issues past mid 70’s
Wasn't there one that ended up changing the prop rotation and running the drive in reverse to get it to handle right on here a few years ago ?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I always wanted a foot throttle with our Shockwave outboard. 2 hands on the wheel at speed felt so much safer. If we kept it, I would have put one in.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Had a foot throttle in my old 62 Spico flat. To the best of my memory I'd say it was fun when you're hot footing around but a real pain to hold in rough water.

In that boat all water beyond 7:00 am was rough water.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Wasn't there one that ended up changing the prop rotation and running the drive in reverse to get it to handle right on here a few years ago ?

Yeah they ran a left hand rotation prop on it

c_land

Reaction score
Both of our Mach 26's had foot throttles. One was twin O/B one was an I/O. I prefer traditional offshore throttles personally.
I didn’t think I could function with out a foot throttle on my last O/B. But the offshore controls really weren’t too far off and I learned to like them as much as the foot throttle.

It was definitely easier in rough water for me with the offshores (hence the name I guess)