WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

? For obnoxious or equivalent

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
I have Teague 825 based engine, I say based because that’s how we started, but I upgraded to a better crank, reused my Dart pro 1 heads, (Teague rebuilt),and my quadrotor ( whipple rebuilt), and assesories. It was supposed to have a 14qt pan. When I change the oil, can put 15 qt in it, start it , get pressure, let it sit a bit. And it is Half way between add and full line. I run a wix 51060r anti drain back filter. I have called Teague, and of course norm is not coming to the phone. The other guys say fill it to the full line. This would be close to 16 qts. The dip stick is hand ingraved, so I have to assume “custom” done by Norm Teague. Open to opinions.

Last edited:

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I would guess it would take 1 more. 14 in the pan, 1 in the filter, and 1 in lines and cooler?

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Almost with you but..... if I put 14 in the pan, and do nothing, just check it, it should show full. And I have on past oil changes, filled the filter on the bench, it takes a bit more than a 1/2 qt.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Almost with you but..... if I put 14 in the pan, and do nothing, just check it, it should show full. And I have on past oil changes, filled the filter on the bench, it takes a bit more than a 1/2 qt.

The oil won't impregnate the filter media on the bench just pouring it in. A 51060, HP4, and FL1A all hold 1 quart. Same dip stick you have always run?

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
The oil won't impregnate the filter media on the bench just pouring it in. A 51060, HP4, and FL1A all hold 1 quart. Same dip stick you have always run?
The dipstick is Teague made.or should I say new with the engine and Teague hand engraved.

Last edited:

Husqy510

Reaction score
This is an interesting issue. I recently ordered a universal dipstick for my new motor and it got me thinking. Shouldn't the oil sit at roughly the same level on all BBC engines? Bigger pans simply take up more space well bellow the motor. Do aftermarket oil pan manufacturers put the dipstick port in roughly the same spot?

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
This is an interesting issue. I recently ordered a universal dipstick for my new motor and it got me thinking. Shouldn't the oil sit at roughly the same level on all BBC engines? Bigger pans simply take up more space well bellow the motor. Do aftermarket oil pan manufacturers put the dipstick port in roughly the same spot?
You would think, but people like teague have there own”recipe” for engine builds , and I’m sure they have a oil level that has worked for them from experience. So with this thought, they have blank dipsticks, mine looks just like the merc one it had before, with the yellow rubber handle with the ball at the end. They stick it in the tube, then with a hand engraver, mark the spot. I’m finding, the 14qt pan takes 14+qt to hit their line. The bottom of that thing is so wide, a qt don’t make it go up that much as compared to a standard pan.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, not an engine builder. I would go by the dipstick that they marked with that pan regardless of the number of quarts. It is always better to error on the low side than to over fill a performance boat motor. Just an extra quart or two can increase the oil temp drastically. Lots of variables engine placement / angle etc. If the engine is over filled the windage from the oil hitting the crank will create lots of problems. Also a big stroker crank with counter weights is a little closer and more likely to do this. I used to circle race, and we would go with a 14 qt pan, and only use 12 quarts for this reason.

Barry would know much more, and hopefully will be on shortly.

Maestro

Reaction score
There's 14 qts in it. It is better to be a little lower than over fill. If too much oil in the pan you will get windage and start aerating the oil. Not a good thing to accure.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
That's sort of tough, because I always check to see where the windage tray is and mark a "full" line just below the tray. As others have said, you do not want it over full where the crank whips the oil around and puts air bubbles in it. Air does not lubricate nearly as well as oil does. What about whoever rebuilt the engine, any contact with them? I don't buy into putting the rated number of quarts of oil into a pan.

Reactions: D19

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
That's sort of tough, because I always check to see where the windage tray is and mark a "full" line just below the tray. As others have said, you do not want it over full where the crank whips the oil around and puts air bubbles in it. Air does not lubricate nearly as well as oil does. What about whoever rebuilt the engine, any contact with them? I don't buy into putting the rated number of quarts of oil into a pan.
Teague says fill it to the line, that will be 16qts. I would assume Teague uses the same method when marking the dipstick. Any guess on capacity of a big log oil cooler?

Last edited:

D19

Reaction score

So typically you like to fill it to just below the windage tray? How far below?

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
So typically you like to fill it to just below the windage tray? How far below?
I would go right below the tray, knowing that while it's running some oil will stay up on top of the engine, under the valve covers and in the valley. The point is, you want plenty of oil, but you don't want it where the crankshaft whips it around. Thus the "windage" tray.