WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

? For The RDP Truck Suspension Guru's

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Our fire department purchased two 2019 Ram 2500 pickups for command vehicles. They are not Power Wagons but they have the Power Wagon suspension which is a 4" lift over the standard trucks. The problem is the Power Wagon springs although longer, have a softer rate for a smoother ride over bumps. We have a camper shell on them and bed slides with lots of equipment that weighs quite a bit. This results in about a 2" sag in the back.

Looking to get the back of the truck back to level. We can put in air bags to level it but because the load will never change, the bags would be constantly aired up. I would prefer to have a longer or stiffer spring (truck has coil springs). Our local truck service place did some research and found that Carli has a 1" over progressive rate spring available. I like the idea of a progressive rate spring but would like a 2" over instead of 1". I'm afraid that the 1" won't get me back to level although I know sometimes a 1" longer spring will result in more than 1" rise in height. They are about $500 plus install so don't want to spend the money if it's not going to work. Also thought we can try the Carli springs and if they don't raise it enough might be able to fab up a custom spacer to make up the difference. I know we should have purchased 3500 trucks (long story that I don't want to get into! :oops: ).

Anyone have any suggestions or a shop that might be able to help us out?

HCP3

Reaction score
CJC Off-road is very knowledgeable when it comes to Rams. They are always friendly to chat with. They are also a Carli dealer. Infact, I think they are the largest Carli dealer.

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
CJC Off-road is very knowledgeable when it comes to Rams. They are always friendly to chat with. They are also a Carli dealer. Infact, I think they are the largest Carli dealer.

Where are they located? We are in northern NV (Carson/Tahoe area).

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
Can’t you just add a 2” lifting block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We could but would have to custom fab them up as nobody makes any (it has coils springs). Because we have maxed out the load capacity I would prefer a higher rate spring.

outboard_256

Reaction score
or get the truck weighed on all 4 corners then you can figure out which spring rates you need instead of guessing.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I would check with Timbren....nobody I know has ever been disappointed with their products.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
We could but would have to custom fab them up as nobody makes any (it has coils springs). Because we have maxed out the load capacity I would prefer a higher rate spring.
Coil spring spacers exist. Icon makes springs for them as well.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I would check with Timbren....nobody I know has ever been disappointed with their products.

Ran them. They are okay for the money. Nothing to write home about.

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score

Looking at their website, they look like fancy bump stops and won't raise the back if the truck up. It says they will have a 1/2" to 1&1/2" gap between the bottom of the rubber and the axle.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I could do that but need to find someone that makes custom springs first.

you don't know you need custom springs until you know what springs you need. Once you figure out what spring rate your setup needs you can start looking for what options are available.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Was thinking a 3500 spring may fit, but I see they are leaf sprung once you go up to a 3500?
Friggen mopar.......gotta be difficult

Last edited:

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Air Lift bags for inside the coils possible?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I know Carli will take your specs to make a custom deaver...I’m sure other companies have a similar relationship with deaver, or perhaps deaver themselves will work with you.

There are certainly other spring makers out there, I’m just not familiar with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Do yourself the favor, just call Carli, tell them exactly what you have they will probably send you to the scales then ship you the solution.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Your easiest-and cheapest- option is to add Timbrens for about 300 bucks. They bolt on in place of the bumpstops. Your other option is to add airbags, but the fitment on the coil rear ends limits their functionality. The carli coils will require different shocks, and are not going to add much- if any- capacity. They are to provide a stock level of payload on a lifted truck, compared to the softer-than-PW coils that are usually installed when lifting these trucks.

I have went down the rabbit hole while owning my 2500. I went with timbrens.

Unfortunately, the 2500 rear suspension with coils leaves a lot to be desired.