WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

For the Real Estate Drop in sales and price Naysayers HOLD ONTO YOUR HATS

arch stanton

Reaction score
A few things that I have been thinking about in a possible recession.

1 there is always somebody saying the end is near and bad news sells its hard to get people to get motivated to go your way if you say every thing is roses people will keep doing what they have been, but we do get recessions every 10 plus years.

2 what I remember about the last one was money got very hard to barrow and I had my credit lines reduced and cards cancelled even though I had not been using them and had payed off all my equipment debt. This time I bought my equipment with nothing down and kept the money I could have used for down payments in T bills, I have 3 outstanding loans one pays off in 6 months and the other 2 are around 2 and 3 years but i have all my unused down payments that will allow me to make payments for more than 2 years and that is longer than most down turns last and I'm betting longer than some of my competitors can hold out, while I'm afraid of bank failures There are places like short term T bills were your principle is safe and currently earn over 4%
3 I hear all kinds of analysts decry the stupidity of the fed and complaining how the fed is causing the problem but I have heard an interesting theories and will combine them in saying the fed wants a crash they fight the down turn and cause the economy to stay on an upswing longer than a up cycle would normally last without there influence. the reason is because the long up cycle creates so much wealth that things like space X and other gigantic money sucking private ventures could never find funding without the excess capital looking for an investment so we all reap some benefit from the new tech that is created. then we have the crash and those that are ready will make fortunes buying things for Pennys on the dollar and the cycle starts again
4 I don't see anybody do this math but there is a big difference between a 20% increase in the value of something like a house and a 20% decrease.
if you pay 100,000 for something and the value decrease 20% your value is now 80,000 now you will need a 25% increase in value to get back to 100,000 the math gets worse if say the value decrease 2 years in a row up swings usually add value slowly until FOMO kicks in and the we get what happened in the last few years

100,000 - 10% = 90,000 x11.1% = 100,000
100,000- 20% = 80,000 x 25% = 100,000
100,000- 30% = 70,000 x 42.9% =100,000
100,000-40% = 60,000 x 66.6% = 100,000
100,000-50% = 50,000 x 100% = 100,000
100,000-60% = 40,000 x 150% = 100,000
anybody see this before, I think the stock traders use this kind of thinking in setting a stop loss

5 I have seen some analyst say that big recession has a small down turn into a short up swing then into the dumpster we go or my favorite saying the dead cat bounce.

Heylam

Reaction score
Bought my hat 4 years ago for $50. Got tired of holding on to it so listed it for sale for $100. Within 24 hrs had multiple offers and accepted the best offer of $175. So, bottom line is it’s good to hang onto your hat, but can be very profitable should you decide to sell.

hallett21

Reaction score
They’re building these by the 1,000s (gross units) in the San Fernando Valley.

CACEEE30-FAB9-4176-BAB8-37AF55B604BC.png

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Building these near me like crazy....... Tax rate at 1.95% and around $180-220 month for association dues.

Tons of people have been visiting since they opened few weeks ago..

attitude

Reaction score
Can't believe it has almost been a year since this thread was started and we are seeing a hot spring market come to fruition, even in the face of 6% mortgage rates.
What have you been seeing as far as prices? I feel like I’m starting to see a lot of house that seem to be a “good deal” until I run the numbers with a 6-7% interest rate.

arch stanton

Reaction score
Can't believe it has almost been a year since this thread was started and we are seeing a hot spring market come to fruition, even in the face of 6% mortgage rates.
most people are optimistic especially successful people nobody really wants a recession and there have been people talking about a recession since about 2017 people won’t stay afraid for 6 plus years life must go on but recessions do happen. im happy that everyone has not stopped buying

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
most people are optimistic especially successful people nobody really wants a recession and there have been people talking about a recession since about 2017 people won’t stay afraid for 6 plus years life must go on but recessions do happen. im happy that everyone has not stopped buying

We have members here that have been scared of recession for 12% percent of their life expectancy.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

I am not optimistic regarding the health of the overall economy. I think there are major cracks that can cause a lot of pain but that pain won't pass through to the RE market. Supply and demand conquers all. The biggest home buying generation is here to play and a lot of them have money. I have yet to be proven wrong from this standpoint.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Up marginally, stopping a 7 month skid

IMG_3048.png

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score

Small Businesses File For Bankruptcy At Record Pace, Surpassing COVID Crash

teaser image
...one of the more underappreciated signs of distress in U.S. corporate credit is already emanating from the small- and mid-size enterprises sector...

THU APR 6, AT 5:25 AM
What percentage of those “small businesses” where set up during Covid to take advantage of all the money?

I got a laugh back when someone on here posted the link to the companies that took relief money and one of the company’s was actual called “ the Covid cleaning company”! No surprise that it was based out of Sacramento!!

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
What percentage of those “small businesses” where set up during Covid to take advantage of all the money?

I got a laugh back when someone on here posted the link to the companies that took relief money and one of the company’s was actual called “ the Covid cleaning company”! No surprise that it was based out of Sacramento!!

I'm sure some were. I'm starting to see a couple of my customer's going BK (both pretty big) and payment is starting to get strung out a bit.

COD for all..!!!!!!!!

hallett21

Reaction score
I knew it was coming. The only way to offset high prices and high interest rates is to extend the term. This will be the new normal.

Everyone who owns a 30 year sub 3% loan better beg, borrow or steal to keep that payment.

Dalton

Reaction score
I knew it was coming. The only way to offset high prices and high interest rates is to extend the term. This will be the new normal.

Everyone who owns a 30 year sub 3% loan better beg, borrow or steal to keep that payment.

40 year loans will undo all the work higher rates have been doing, prices will go back up to astronomical levels

Dalton

Reaction score
30 year 2500 p&i @ 7% = 475k
40 year 2500 p&i @ 7% = 510k

hallett21

Reaction score
I grew up being told either a 15 or 20 year mortgage was normal. 30 was considered crazy in its day.

40 will be here to stay. Same way a “standard” auto loan is now 72-84 months.

hallett21

Reaction score
@mbrown2 Do I remember correctly? Did they have them back in 2005-2008?
I just thought it was crazy that the FHA began offering/enforcing it as a “standard” option. Vs trying to create affordability for someone upside down on a mortgage.

mbrown2

Reaction score
@mbrown2 Do I remember correctly? Did they have them back in 2005-2008?
I don't recall them being a thing back then...the sketchy loans were B/C paper loans...stated income, ect... 40yrs are not that prevalent because most bank lenders don't qualify them. In mid 2022 FHA started a program to modify an existing loan to 40yrs to help borrowers that are struggling to make payments as interest rates rose.

77charger

Reaction score
40 year loans f that unless your 20 years old buying a home. Even then it’s a long time

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
40 year deals have been around for awhile. They are NON QM. GSE are not offering 40 year loans.

Back to work folks. What is this weeks story that will bring the market down??

hallett21

Reaction score
Riiiiight..... Hahaha
No really lol.

I look at a 40 year mortgage as a solution to high prices coupled with high rates.

Just like the cars of yesterday that were paid for in cash.

Do I think a 40 year mortgage is a good idea? Not necessarily but we all accept a 30 year fixed as standard today. While grandparents cannot even fathom the idea.

You know the same people who bought in 1950 and were paid off in 1970….. and have never remodeled lol

PaPaG

Reaction score
Thinking ALL IS FINE is a bit nuts in my opinion. So a few areas are selling like hotcakes, most are not, interest rates went from 2% to 6-7% no no all is fine, lol.. More and more homes listed across all the realtor sites are dropping asking prices by the thousands and even tens of thousands and the naysayers will keep on saying it was COVID prices and it is just adjusting, I wonder if they said the same thing the years leading up to the 2008 crash...a few of the largest banks in trouble and get taken over, money getting extremely harder and harder to get for new start up businesses, venture capitalists are tightening their belts and limiting funding...reality will hit soon enough if not already, anyone watching the stock market and following data/facts and the numbers knows where we have been heading for the last 10 Months and more to follow, as I said 6-18 months and then extended that to 24+ after data and numbers suggested we are in a slight recession now and will go deeper in 2024. In closing any smart investor knows data, facts, time frames change and have to be adjusted as facts and numbers come in so lets see what happens in 8 months at the end of my initial thoughts of 18 months and again in 2024. Who really knows, things can change in a minute, but to completely deny our country's financial situation and that the housing market is possibly in bigger trouble that thought has absolutely no credibility in my book. As usual, just my opinion.

Dalton

Reaction score
40 year loans f that unless your 20 years old buying a home. Even then it’s a long time

If you’ve got a rental property that cash flows with a 40 year it could potentially be OK…but I haven’t researched them much. This wouldn’t be used on the west coast more back east.