WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ford 6.2L engine

Your ad here

Reaction score
Going to look at a 2011 F250 with the 6.2 today. Has 250K miles. What's the thoughts on these engines? Any common issues? Manifolds warping? Oil leaks? Mileage, MPG?

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
That’s allot of miles on a truck that likely has worked it’s whole life.

How much are you looking to spend?
I might be selling this 2018 6.4 Hemi. 11,000miles. 4:88 gears, steps, leveling kit Falken AT’s spray in bedliner and helper bags.
7E422ADE-FF9E-4730-A518-4604234DDD06.jpeg

Your ad here

Reaction score
That’s allot of miles on a truck that likely has worked it’s whole life.

How much are you looking to spend?
I might be selling this 2018 6.4 Hemi. 11,000miles. 4:88 gears, steps, leveling kit Falken AT’s spray in bedliner and helper bags. View attachment 931637
Really? I'm asking for input on a specific engine and you come in with a sales pitch?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Going to look at a 2011 F250 with the 6.2 today. Has 250K miles. What's the thoughts on these engines? Any common issues? Manifolds warping? Oil leaks? Mileage, MPG?
The only issue I've seen is with that big blue oval on the grill :D
I think they are known to be pretty solid motors, but 250k is a crapshoot for a gasser, even most diesels

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The only issue I've seen is with that big blue oval on the grill :D
I think they are known to be pretty solid motors, but 250k is a crapshoot for a gasser, even most diesels

MOST Isuzu diesels! lol Barely broke in miles for a 7.3, probably the same for the Cummings.

But you are right, that's a lot of miles for a gas engine. I'd factor the cost of an engine rebuild in as well.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It's a Cummins Joe ;)

7.3's last forever cause they don't make enough power to hurt themselves

Gawd damm....since when did you become the speeling poliec??? lol

And...

When was the last time you saw a bone stock 7.3?? Most have had the shit modded out of em. And they still go 500k miles.

I know you're a GM guy. You've probably never seen odometers run up that high. ;)

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Your right go buy the Ford.
Does yours have the shorter seat bottom in the middle seat in the back? That has always confused me and my wife says many people have issues getting car seats to safely sit there because of it.

Im just asking cause We are likely going to have to get a new truck sometime soon and with 4 kids, at least 3 being in car seats, this is an issues I need to consider and I do like that Ram with the 6.4...

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Does yours have the shorter seat bottom in the middle seat in the back? That has always confused me and my wife says many people have issues getting car seats to safely sit there because of it.

Im just asking cause We are likely going to have to get a new truck sometime soon and with 4 kids, at least 3 being in car seats, this is an issues I need to consider and I do like that Ram with the 6.4...
Yes it indents in the middle. Never have put a car seat in the middle. A booster seat should work without a problem.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
At 250k on the clock , if you like the truck , factor in an engine
And ball joints, steering system, transmission service the diffs. Sounds like a 10k truck that could use 10k off work. But if it’s just a farm truck or something I guess it would serve it’s purpose.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

And...

When was the last time you saw a bone stock 7.3?? Most have had the shit modded out of em. And they still go 500k miles.

I know you're a GM guy. You've probably never seen odometers run up that high. ;)

Our instrument clusters stop working and we lose track.....

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

And...

Even the modded ones are dogs for the most part. That’s why they have small brakes and chassis that flex more than a wet noodle :)

Just wait until you can’t register that 7.3 turd in CA anymore :) it’s coming.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
2015, F350 4x, 167k going strong!!!!!

Knocking on wood.... no repairs,, maintenance and brakes only..

9mpg towing 4k boat, at 75mph min...

11.5 mpg average (town/freeway)

I'd buy again in heartbeat....

I get compliments daily... (maybe cause its not broke down...LOL)

My truck will make 300k (I probably just jinxed 😅 myself)

Last edited:

jetur

Reaction score
I have (3) in the fleet right now. Milage is 175,000, 8,300, and 89,500. There are no major issues just common things like alternators and battery's. Tranny is acting up a little on the 175k unit but we change the oil in it and will run it till it goes completely. But keep in mind that truck has towed heavy many times and is loaded with about 3k lbs in tools and diesel daily.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
YAh...

Just hit reset and drove like my Bro in Law... (oldman)... 10 freeway miles... LOL

16 MPH... LAM

20201013_134628.jpg

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
20201013_133510.jpg

10k mileage on computer calculator, driving and 4x river towing trips... 80ish avg..

CLdrinker

Reaction score
2015, F350 4x, 167k going strong!!!!!

Knocking on wood.... no repairs,, maintenance and brakes only..

9mpg towing 4k boat, at 75mph min...

11.5 mpg average (town/freeway)

I'd buy again in heartbeat....

I get compliments daily... (maybe cause its not broke down...LOL)

My truck will make 300k (I probably just jinxed 😅 myself)
9mpg towing a 4k boat?
Well I feel a hell of allot better with my 7mpg towing a 12k Toyhauler and that includes Baker grade. Up until that I was getting 8mpg. 65-70mph

AzMandella

Reaction score
99 F250 7.3 227,000 mi . Other than regular maintenance and putting Swamps Inj and mass airflo and 4in ex and no tunes or chip . Put a 4500lb camper on it and 3500lb boat and have no problem pulling the steepest of grades and holding posted speed . Flat towing 20,000 no problem on the highway or in town . Can't say about pulling steep grades as I never had to . Last tuck I will have to buy .

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Even the modded ones are dogs for the most part. That’s why they have small brakes and chassis that flex more than a wet noodle :)

Just wait until you can’t register that 7.3 turd in CA anymore :) it’s coming.

Well, I didn't buy my truck to win any races, I bought it to tow. It does that particular job quite well.

The bummer is, you could be right on that registration issue. It's already in play on the commercial side of things. Right @OCMerrill ?

But, since there are only a handful of 7.3's on the road, and driving very limited miles, they probably won't come after my truck anytime soon. Hopefully.

P.S. Speaking of turds, don't you have to go put air shocks or maybe some helper springs, on your half ton or something like that? 😁 :p

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Well, I didn't buy my truck to win any races, I bought it to tow. It does that particular job quite well.

The bummer is, you could be right on that registration issue. It's already in play on the commercial side of things. Right @OCMerrill ?

But, since there are only a handful of 7.3's on the road, and driving very limited miles, they probably won't come after my truck anytime soon. Hopefully.

P.S. Speaking of turds, don't you have to go put air shocks or maybe some helper springs, on your half ton or something like that? 😁 :p

No I am good to go, I have an F150, that rides like pillow on a cloud, in a sky of jello, and tows like a boss.

I'm told this will tow 20,000 lbs like it is not even there, and be safer and stop better than my new half ton though :)

000_0432.JPG

lbhsbz

Reaction score
No I am good to go, I have an F150, that rides like pillow on a cloud, in a sky of jello, and tows like a boss.

I'm told this will tow 20,000 lbs like it is not even there, and be safer and stop better than my new half ton though :)

View attachment 931769
The key to good ride quality is the articulating frame

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

View attachment 931769

Tows like a boss. Noted...

Ford-F-150-Owner-Exceeds-Payload-Capacity-001.jpg

Your ad here

Reaction score
Some of you guys in a week should sit in front of a mirror and re read your post. Anyways looked at it and for 250K miles the engine sounded healthy with no smoke or blow by. It was a superintendents truck for a demo company, highway miles. What surprised me was the transmission was shifting crappy for being a torqshift. It has a lift gate, which I need but it needs work too. It has cracked the bed.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Some of you guys in a week should sit in front of a mirror and re read your post. Anyways looked at it and for 250K miles the engine sounded healthy with no smoke or blow by. It was a superintendents truck for a demo company, highway miles. What surprised me was the transmission was shifting crappy for being a torqshift. It has a lift gate, which I need but it needs work too. It has cracked the bed.

So you are saying the trans is shot on a truck with 250K miles? :)

77charger

Reaction score
We use gas trucks at my old work. 2500 hd 9 ft flatbeds we’ve had the chevy 6,0 run 335k on one 3500. My last truck was at 280k and solid. Not one check engine light. Did have trans trouble at 250k never been to dealer besides that.

lbhsbz

Reaction score

Trans is broken, lift gate is broken, bed is broken, 250K on gas Ford engine....

How are the tires? If it has good tires you should buy it.

67 baron sprint LD 390 FE

Reaction score
We had a 6.2 in our last work truck , it went to auction with about 220k on it and it was a hard 220k and didn’t have any issues with it . It sucks fuel for sure about 7 ish towing our mini ex , and prob 12 or so on the highway. We are on our second 6.2 , just at 110 k and going strong

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
From the folks that brought you the twin traction beam front end, or as I like to call it "whats my camber anyway"
And people wonder why their wheel pulls so much in a stiff crosswind in a Econoline of 2wd F-250/350 platform

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I tow at 80mph once I leave stupid CA. If I don't, I'll get run over by the semi's!
This is a true story. Once you pass the AZ95 on the 40 east, you better be clocking 85+ or the semi's will blow you into the weeds!

Nordie

Reaction score
My company truck has the 6.2 and I think it's a pretty stout powerplant. Definitely a reliable motor, but I have gotten a couple CELs that are EVAP related, but I do have a lot of idle time so I'm not sure if that's related.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I tow at 80mph once I leave stupid CA. If I don't, I'll get run over by the semi's!

I always find it amusing that everyone's view of safe speeds magically changes as soon as the cross the border.

If you tow let alone drive at 80 in CA you are told you are a "Menace to society", or "A danger to everyone on the road" or better yet, "The river will still be there when you get there an hour later". You tow or drive at 80 in AZ it is all high fives, fist pumps, and pounding Mountain Dew.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

Dude don't even mention this shit. It's bad juju. Evan owns my 04 Ram now and if those CARB mother fuckers come for it his independent Senior HS life will be ugly.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I always find it amusing that everyone's view of safe speeds magically changes as soon as the cross the border.

If you tow let alone drive at 80 in CA you are told you are a "Menace to society", or "A danger to everyone on the road" or better yet, "The river will still be there when you get there an hour later". You tow or drive at 80 in AZ it is all high fives, fist pumps, and pounding Mountain Dew.

All the Class 8's are running 70+ on the 10 Indio to Blythe. CHP sitting in the median with not a care, they just seem to have a green light to haul ass.