WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ford 6.4?

SpectraMike

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the 08-10 Ford 6.4? I'm looking to upgrade to a diesel and found one I really like but don't know if I can't trust a Ford diesel again after my 6.0. it's an 08 and has 107k on it. Any info and things to look for would be helpful. Thanks

NicPaus

Reaction score
6.7 but $$ 6.0 seems to be more sought after than a 6.4 these days. I also lost a lot of time and money on 6.0s.

BBYSTWY

Reaction score
if you are trying to regain faith in ford diesels...don't buy a 6.4 lol...turbo issues, injector issues, egr issues, radiator issues...now if its a virgin with the upgraded radiator that may be a different story...my understanding from friends that had them is...replace the radiator, delete it asap(egr and def system if it has it) and you have a pretty decent motor....a friend had 3 for his construction company and did the above mods and only had 1 or 2 injector shit out between all three of the trucks.....another buddy had 1 as his daily driver bone stock and put 3 stock radiators, 2 turbos, and 2 sets of injectors in it in 3 years...luckily it was mostly under warranty....just my experiences

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I had one. Blew the oil system out which killed 1 turbo. Got it all replaced, then broke the thermostat housing. This was around 60k miles.

It had about the worst turbo lag ever don’t jump in front of anyone, I would have to power brake it in traffic to jump lanes or they guy behind you would hit the rear.

But loved the F-450. Road great and had the best turning radius.

Sold it to a guy that bought a ford bumper to bumper warranty for it. I would do that and buy another. But not without one.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I still have a 09 6.4 . It has 110 k miles . It has had a lot of problems . Between the truck and dealer I will not be buying a ford product for awhile if ever again . Turning radius kicks ass though !

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Like everyone has said run! Get a 6.7 and you will be happier if you want a Ford Diesel.

SpectraMike

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the info. I think I'll just hold out until I can find a clean Dodge.