WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ford 7.3 Godzilla

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Living in the western states and having to climb grades at altitude everywhere definitely gives most of us a different (jaded) perspective on truck buying and what is needed to tow.

When I go back to the Midwest there are more gassers in the campgrounds than diesels- and the majority of them are small blocks.

How do you like the Ford 7.3/ fiver compared to your Ram 6.4 Bumper Pull? Is it a night and day difference?
Thats a good question. I was pondering this exact thing driving home. Was it worth me selling everything and being without over the course of 2yrs. Hell no.

Power wise they are pretty similar. But keep in mind my Hemi did have 4:88 gears which help allot. Also I think the bigger difference is how much more wind you plow with the height of the 5th wheel. That front cap is way above the roofline where bumper isn’t.

I would give the advantage to the Ford. That being said if I was hauling a 4 seat SxS on a regular basis or a bigger toy hauler I would pony up the extra 10k for a diesel. I think this is probably the Comfortable limit for this truck. Will it pull more? oh hell yes it will. But mph would take a hit going up hills.

For what I’m doing and how the truck is being used I would take it every single time over a diesel. Mainly due to cost and the reliability risk of the diesel.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I would have to agree when talking about head winds. The gassers have to drop a gear and rev which drink fuel. But hey that’s what happens when you save on purchase price, registration, insurance and maintenance.

It’s why we all have choices. Pick your poison.

And that will burn maybe $700 of fuel over the life of the truck you saved $11k on.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The big climb after the truck scales was noticeably more difficult truck
Kicked down to 5th and I was in it pretty good I think it was 3200-3500rpm. Then we got to the right hand curve going up the actual hill. Truck wanted to stay in 5th with my foot almost to the floor but we were loosing speed fast dropped down to 50mph. I had enough of that shit and dropped it down to 4th manually and it began accelerating. By the top we were at 65mph and 4500rpm. With about 1/4 throttle left.

This truck does not rev like normal gassers it wants to lug along. Going forward I will down shift sooner to maintain speed which should make it an easier pull.

Yeah i believe it’s much easier on my tow vehicles to maintain a steady speed/gear/rpm to the top of the grade. Gas V8’s are designed to rev.

Versus losing speed, downshifting, gaining speed, up shifting when you reach your target speed only to repeat the process when you can’t maintain target speed in too-high of a gear.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
And that will burn maybe $700 of fuel over the life of the truck you saved $11k on.
I think I will burn a considerable amount of fuel more than the diesel’s. But not the 9-11k more. They will however beat me to the top of the hill. I will give them that for sure. But since I can hold the speed limit up hills I think I’m ok.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I think I will burn a considerable amount of fuel more than the diesel’s. But not the 9-11k more. They will however beat me to the top of the hill. I will give them that for sure. But since I can hold the speed limit up hills I think I’m ok.

Why would they beat you? The speed limit while towing is 55. The towing police obey every law and tow rating, just ask them.

My buddies 21 diesel gets like 8-9 MPG towing his loaded toy hauler. They all drink fuel when loaded down.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Why would they beat you? The speed limit while towing is 55. The towing police obey every law and tow rating, just ask them.

My buddies 21 diesel gets like 8-9 MPG towing his loaded toy hauler. They all drink fuel when loaded down.
I just did a weekend trip to pismo dunes from LA, in my 35' Super C with a 8.1 gas. Towing a 22' tilt deck at near 3k lbs, with my old L322 Range Rover on it. Close to 9k towing weight. 5 MPG. A dollar a mile. Love the motorhome, and don't regret the gas engine, wouldn't mind the diesel in this case, but the bottom line is we moved along at 60-70mph, and 40 on a few hard grades, and still saved a ton of money for the mileage we use the motorhome vs buying the equivalent diesel.
Conversely, the truck I ordered to replace the 7.3 F250 is a Diesel Chevy. My daily use and towing will never overcome the price premium, but the resale will.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I just did a weekend trip to pismo dunes from LA, in my 35' Super C with a 8.1 gas. Towing a 22' tilt deck at near 3k lbs, with my old L322 Range Rover on it. Close to 9k towing weight. 5 MPG. A dollar a mile. Love the motorhome, and don't regret the gas engine, wouldn't mind the diesel in this case, but the bottom line is we moved along at 60-70mph, and 40 on a few hard grades, and still saved a ton of money for the mileage we use the motorhome vs buying the equivalent diesel.
Conversely, the truck I ordered to replace the 7.3 F250 is a Diesel Chevy. My daily use and towing will never overcome the price premium, but the resale will.

I get it. In the moment $1/mile sucks.. but you just have to do the math. When diesel is 30% more, it’s still sucks just as hard. When diesel is cheaper like it is now, everyone starts leaning diesel again, only to get the hose down during the next fuel debacle.

For some it’s worth it, for others is not.

The resale thing seems a tossup. Near 20 year old pre DEF, yes the resale is stronger. But that is not where we are today. For new stuff it seems closer to a sliding scale. You saved $12k up front and sold the truck for $12k less. If you had a fuel system failure on a new truck and paid out of pocket, you are talking a $20k delta.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
55mph is only in CA
Let’s use the RDP Rice Road logic here.

Why do they care to get to the top of the hill faster? They should be safe and always drive the speed limit. Why are they in such a hurry? Who cares if it takes an extra 15 mins if their family is safe.

Unless you are in a gas powered truck of course🤣

Last edited:

Fabhouse

Reaction score
I get it. In the moment $1/mile sucks.. but you just have to do the math. When diesel is 30% more, it’s still sucks just as hard. When diesel is cheaper like it is now, everyone starts leaning diesel again, only to get the hose down during the next fuel debacle.

For some it’s worth it, for others is not.

The resale thing seems a tossup. Near 20 year old pre DEF, yes the resale is stronger. But that is not where we are today. For new stuff it seems closer to a sliding scale. You saved $12k up front and sold the truck for $12k less. If you had a fuel system failure on a new truck and paid out of pocket, you are talking a $20k delta.
Agreed. But I like new things...I'll justify it however I like. :)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'd really like to see someone put one of the newer 10L90's behind an 8.1. The design premise is much more efficient than the Alison, and the gear split is healthy. After driving a few gasser 7.3's now, I really think that combo could be useful. The 6.6 gassers just still don't have the same "grunt" feel to them, but have never really looked at the numbers.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I'd really like to see someone put one of the newer 10L90's behind an 8.1. The design premise is much more efficient than the Alison, and the gear split is healthy. After driving a few gasser 7.3's now, I really think that combo could be useful. The 6.6 gassers just still don't have the same "grunt" feel to them, but have never really looked at the numbers.

The 7.3 10 speed with the 4.30s drives really well actually.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

This thing was over 10klbs. I got 12.4 MPG from Murrieta to Havasu with my 6.7. It is on a weight loss program though.

20230510_182554.jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
The formula had to change as the use of copper in brake friction material was phased out over the last 10 or so years....nothing that was in use back then is legal to use today.
That's a bummer, they lasted forever!

Mack

Reaction score
I bought the same set of wires this week and my old programmer tells me the cylinder that needs one when it misfires. 81000 miles and only changed 3 wires to date not bad

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I bought the same set of wires this week and my old programmer tells me the cylinder that needs one when it misfires. 81000 miles and only changed 3 wires to date not bad
I’m at 12,000 zero wires but I will be heading to June lake next week and have that big hill to climb outside bishop. Wanted to be prepared.

Mack

Reaction score
When it happens is anybody guess but all of my burnt the spark plug clip end of the wire ford might have improved this on newer trucks

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Finally had a good towing test. Apple Valley to June lake and back. 32’ fifth wheel between 11k -12k is my guesstimate as its 10,200 empty fuel station was 1/2 water was 1/2. Plus camping gear, food and clothes for 5 people 5 days.
From AV to Ridgecrest I was running 65-70mph most of the way. Dog started doing the pee per dance in the back seat stepped it up to 75-80 for a bit to get to out first rest break. After that near shit show we were 65mph the rest of the trip there and back.

If anyone has climbed Sherwin summit out of Bishop it’s no joke. I took it easy as people in my group couldn’t keep up. And I had no need to haul ass. With barely less than half throttle left we crested at 45mph 3500-4000rpm 4th gear. I for sure could held 55mph maybe 60mph. But it would have been screaming.
The downgrade home on Sherwin summit was a breeze. Transmission downshifted and barely used the breaks on the decent held 60-65 the whole way down.

Up until Ridgecrest on the way back we were at 8.3mpg until we caught head wind and are final round trip mpg was 7.9.

Best of all no melted plug wires 😂

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
So I sold my 2021 F350 Dually Diesel and ordered a F250 Tremor 7.3. Hope I will not regret. On paper going with a gasser makes sense for overall cost of ownership and my towing needs, which are light duty now.

Dr Rob

Reaction score
So I sold my 2021 F350 Dually Diesel and ordered a F250 Tremor 7.3. Hope I will not regret. On paper going with a gasser makes sense for overall cost of ownership and my towing needs, which are light duty now.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
I haven't met anyone disappointed with the 7.3. All seem to be happy, and several came from Powerstrokes and Duramax's. The tranny/motor combo seems pretty decent.
My gut feeling is the diesels are on the edge of high performance and the failure costs are too high for me. Several friends have had catastrophic failures with engines and transmissions. I’m done with taking that risk of a future $20k hit

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Just guzzled some gas from AV to SD today with the fifth wheel. Used half a freaking tank. But there was major head wind.

Also loo at getting the Orielly plug wires. They have been good so far 16k miles.

For you new guys the transmission is funky if you gas it hard suddenly or let off and gas it. Gradual acceleration keeps it in check. Or tow haul. Also it hates California stops.

2Driver

Reaction score
Just guzzled some gas from AV to SD today with the fifth wheel. Used half a freaking tank. But there was major head wind.

Also loo at getting the Orielly plug wires. They have been good so far 16k miles.

For you new guys the transmission is funky if you gas it hard suddenly or let off and gas it. Gradual acceleration keeps it in check. Or tow haul. Also it hates California stops.

So the manual says no highway speed first 1,000 miles. Geeez, did you do that? I wonder why?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
So the manual says no highway speed first 1,000 miles. Geeez, did you do that? I wonder why?
I was under highest speeds for about 5 miles.

Got on the highway and took it easy 60 65 for an hour. Got off freeway and went through drive thru. Got back on freeway for 1500 miles lol

2Driver

Reaction score
Whats the deal with spark plug wires. Never changed them on anything

Mack

Reaction score
No idea why they burn the ends out that attach to plug and that causes a bad mis, good part is any scanner tells you which plug to change so I keep a set with me all the time

Fabhouse

Reaction score
7.3 with the 10speed is really a great package. Loved everything about the powertrain. The ride was terrible. Unbearable truck to to drive. 6th SuperDuty, and 1st Alumiduty, worst one by far. Ran back to a Raptor for a year. Bought an At4 GMC 2500 and I could not be happier.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
7.3 with the 10speed is really a great package. Loved everything about the powertrain. The ride was terrible. Unbearable truck to to drive. 6th SuperDuty, and 1st Alumiduty, worst one by far. Ran back to a Raptor for a year. Bought an At4 GMC 2500 and I could not be happier.
Yes I think my ride is getting worse.

stillhustlin

Reaction score
Did you buy the at4 with the 6.6 gasser?

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Did you buy the at4 with the 6.6 gasser?
Diesel this time, first one since 2010ish. Super quiet, great power. The gas 6.6 just did not feel like enough on the test drive. Its a company truck, so a 3 year lease made sense and i'll give it back (hopefully) before it has any issues. My mistake with the 7.3 SD was ordering the Tremor package which uses F350 springs.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Weird I just drove my brother I laws GMC 2500 At4 yesterday and couldn’t wait to get out. Hardest seats I’ve ever sat it and the ride was rough. I drive a 2021 Silverado custom for work it has no frills and the cheapest interior and the seats feel way better than the leather seats in the At4.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Weird I just drove my brother I laws GMC 2500 At4 yesterday and couldn’t wait to get out. Hardest seats I’ve ever sat it and the ride was rough. I drive a 2021 Silverado custom for work it has no frills and the cheapest interior and the seats feel way better than the leather seats in the At4.
F-250 Is same way, rides pretty rough.

2Driver

Reaction score
Yes I think my ride is getting worse.
I’m putting in the carli set up with their progressive spring packs. It’s supposed to be a pretty nice ride afterwards. It will have a constant payload but not for the first 2,000 miles….lol hope I make it.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I’m putting in the carli set up with their progressive spring packs. It’s supposed to be a pretty nice ride afterwards. It will have a constant payload but not for the first 2,000 miles….lol hope I make it.
Let me know how you like it, I got the carli set up without the springs, may have to try them.

2Driver

Reaction score
Let me know how you like it, I got the carli set up without the springs, may have to try them.

For sure. Im not sure ill have an apples to apples comparison as it will already have a 2500 lbs camper in the back by then.

They have 3 levles of spring rates. they are supposed to make huge difference in ride quality. Im putting on the 3500 progressive pack which is the highest rated one