WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ford 7.3 Godzilla

NicPaus

Reaction score
Fly there rent a u haul box truck one way back to CA. The rental will be a couple hundred bucks. You’ll be paying for gas and a flight. Box truck gets 10.5 MPG. It’s right at $500 in gas to go 1200 miles.
They might even pay him to bring a box truck back to CA as everyone is leaving CA.

j21black

Reaction score
Priority code 13
84 orders ahead of me.

If they don’t get some large allotments, I will be switching to a 2023 I’m sure.

Last month they only got 12 allotments.

Ordered a new F450 in October - Got a build date on 2/1 of sometime in March - Been pushed a few times back to 4/18 - Somehow I got bumped to priority code 01 - Dealer sends me the list of trucks they are waiting on at times and I am the only order with the Ford Priority Code of 01 - Not sure how that happened but oh well.

The dealer does not think mine will move again, and it typically arrives at the dealer 4-7 days after being built. No rail involved on my end.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Long shot I make the cut. But it’s something at least.
21534A00-A1EF-43BF-B7F6-E79967D7F0D9.png

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Just BEWARE of the dreaded spark plug wire problem with all new Godzilla's!!! My MH built on a 12/21 chassis fell victim to the sputtering etc at 2900miles...easy fix, but apparently ford still hasn't fixed them from the factory..

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I know this is a ford truck thread. But does anyone know if Lincoln SUV’s have the same build delays? Looking for aviator and just need it deliver before 12/31/22.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I know this is a ford truck thread. But does anyone know if Lincoln SUV’s have the same build delays? Looking for aviator and just need it deliver before 12/31/22.
All manufacturers and models have delays.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Just BEWARE of the dreaded spark plug wire problem with all new Godzilla's!!! My MH built on a 12/21 chassis fell victim to the sputtering etc at 2900miles...easy fix, but apparently ford still hasn't fixed them from the factory..
I will probably buy a spare wire and put it in the glove box.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
You have to look where they are built and what else is built there. I need a 250 Transit and unfortunately they are built in the same factory as the F150 (same chassis). Ford won't stop building F150 for Transit as they have to keep the F150 as the #1 truck.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
You have to look where they are built and what else is built there. I need a 250 Transit and unfortunately they are built in the same factory as the F150 (same chassis). Ford won't stop building F150 for Transit as they have to keep the F150 as the #1 truck.
Thanks for the insight. I’ll start to do some digging.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Talk about waking up to very bad news. Talk about a kick in the nuts. 🤢

From the dealer.
Allocation update for April

Good morning everyone, for April we received a total allocation of 17 units. We turned for 0 on the 'stock vs sales' side of the equation and COVP provided us with 17 units. We currently have 126 vehicles with VINs assigned giving us a total of 143 Super Duty trucks.

We certainly were hoping for closer to 40-50 units, but from what I can tell, this is an indication that total allocation was fairly light on Super Duty trucks nationwide. Not receiving any trucks on the 'stock vs sales' piece of the allocation process is my biggest indicator of that. Our F-150 allocation was also very slim compared to what we had seen previously as well as about clue.

Orders are now cut off as of April 1st. Production for the 2022 Super Duty will run through December of this year with final deliveries to the store coming in January 2023. This gives us 6-7 more months of production to fill retail demand. We would need to average an allocation of 35-40 units/month to fulfill our retail demand for 2022. If production returns to their previous levels we certainly would be able to do that.

The first opportunity to schedule will be this coming Thursday to fill those 17 units that we were assigned for April and receive VINs. I would anticipate most of our VINs being assigned Thursday as retails and then another 30 day wait for the next allocation and then VIN assignment.

I’m number 84 in line. They don’t go in order but if the did it will be 5 months before I get scheduled. That has me being built in October. Delivered November.
My only hope is I get picked up sooner because I’m a lower trim level with fewer options.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Talk about waking up to very bad news. Talk about a kick in the nuts. 🤢

From the dealer.
Allocation update for April

Good morning everyone, for April we received a total allocation of 17 units. We turned for 0 on the 'stock vs sales' side of the equation and COVP provided us with 17 units. We currently have 126 vehicles with VINs assigned giving us a total of 143 Super Duty trucks.

We certainly were hoping for closer to 40-50 units, but from what I can tell, this is an indication that total allocation was fairly light on Super Duty trucks nationwide. Not receiving any trucks on the 'stock vs sales' piece of the allocation process is my biggest indicator of that. Our F-150 allocation was also very slim compared to what we had seen previously as well as about clue.

Orders are now cut off as of April 1st. Production for the 2022 Super Duty will run through December of this year with final deliveries to the store coming in January 2023. This gives us 6-7 more months of production to fill retail demand. We would need to average an allocation of 35-40 units/month to fulfill our retail demand for 2022. If production returns to their previous levels we certainly would be able to do that.

The first opportunity to schedule will be this coming Thursday to fill those 17 units that we were assigned for April and receive VINs. I would anticipate most of our VINs being assigned Thursday as retails and then another 30 day wait for the next allocation and then VIN assignment.

I’m number 84 in line. They don’t go in order but if the did it will be 5 months before I get scheduled. That has me being built in October. Delivered November.
My only hope is I get picked up sooner because I’m a lower trim level with fewer options.

I hope you get your truck sooner.

Don’t say another word about people waiting for UTVs :)

c_land

Reaction score
@bldrinker theres a 2021 7.3 tremor for sale in LHC on market place.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I hope you get your truck sooner.

Don’t say another word about people waiting for UTVs :)
At this point you might actually beat me. But you did order a couple years before me.

I want to put a plan B order in with Ram. Wife Said it’s not nice as the Ford. I said zero truck is not nice either 😂

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
At this point you might actually beat me. But you did order a couple years before me.

I want to put a plan B order in with Ram. Wife Said it’s not nice as the Ford. I said zero truck is not nice either 😂

Ford has been making trucks for over 100 years, you think that would have it figured out. :)

If the economy falls apart the way people think it will in the other thread, you will have your pick of new trucks on the lot for $20k under MSRP inside 6 months :)

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Ford has been making trucks for over 100 years, you think that would have it figured out. :)

If the economy falls apart the way people think it will in the other thread, you will have your pick of new trucks on the lot for $20k under MSRP inside 6 months :)
Cash is king.
If it wasn’t for the camping trip and hunting trip I wouldn’t care.

Motorhome rental is going to run me $1500. Not cheap but not the end of the world.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Cash is king.
If it wasn’t for the camping trip and hunting trip I wouldn’t care.

Motorhome rental is going to run me $1500. Not cheap but not the end of the world.

Rent and wait it out. Spend $1500 to save $15k.

The potential problem is not buying the truck now, the potential problem is buying the truck at MSRP now, and the truck market goes back to pre 2019, when you could pretty easily get 10-15% off a new truck, and 18 month old used ones were 25% off MSRP.

Unless Ford starts doing what custom boat MFGs did and just starts building fewer trucks to hold up market demand.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Rent and wait it out. Spend $1500 to save $15k.

The potential problem is not buying the truck now, the potential problem is buying the truck at MSRP now, and the truck market goes back to pre 2019, when you could pretty easily get 10-15% off a new truck, and 18 month old used ones were 25% off MSRP.

Unless Ford starts doing what custom boat MFGs did and just starts building fewer trucks to hold up market demand.
I should just sell my place in line. 😂

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
I’m thinking about selling my 2020 7.3, Tremor. Star White. Black leather.

42,XXX miles

Having 2 Super Duty Fords is creating a room issue

Haven’t even thought about price yet.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I’m thinking about selling my 2020 7.3, Tremor. Star White. Black leather.

42,XXX miles

Having 2 Super Duty Fords is creating a room issue

Haven’t even thought about price yet.
PM sent

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Well still no dice. My dealer has only assigned 2 vin numbers since 3/22.
I have another chance next Thursday. I doubt that though.
I’m now customer number 82 without a vin and if this 2 vin a month thing continues it don’t take a rocket scientist to see I’m screwed.
Original delivery estimate was 4-6 months. If they started building it today I would barely make the 6 months estimate.

So I asked about getting a Ram from them instead. That’s 6-9months. (53,500 for a nice optioned Big Horn. )

Still that’s no faster
I’m screwed.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Does anybody have any update how the GM's order and delivery is going at the moment?

My boss ordered one at the beginning of the year and hasn't heard anything, but he doesn't ever think to ask. I'm wondering cause I'm getting his truck when the new one comes in and I'd REALLY like to get out of driving this shit box Ram microvan bullshit thing.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Now all I have to do is take delivery of this dam truck, sell the JKUR and buy an RV before October.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
To think he has all this time to back out of owning a ford and he still is waiting…
I somewhat agree. But @bldrinker has done his homework, and for his application and limited/ occasional usage, I agree the 7.3 with 4.30s is his best powertrain choice. Can’t wait to see how it performs.

Riverryder

Reaction score
I somewhat agree. But @bldrinker has done his homework, and for his application and limited/ occasional usage, I agree the 7.3 with 4.30s is his best powertrain choice. Can’t wait to see how it performs.
Yours is gas too huh?
I see what’s going on here…

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Yours is gas too huh?
I see what’s going on here…
Lol, I’m a diesel fan til the end, but I DD mine, and even when I have another DD for work I make an effort to drive my truck to work once a week or so, 20 miles of highway to keep the emissions issues at bay. If I lived somewhere where I didn’t have to climb miles of grades at altitude anywhere I went, I would definitely be looking at a gasser. That Godzilla with 4.30s should be plenty for most who don’t tow fulltime, without the emissions concerns. The guys buying small blocks to tow, or trying to run 3.73s to save fuel, I don’t understand that logic.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Lol, I’m a diesel fan til the end, but I DD mine, and even when I have another DD for work I make an effort to drive my truck to work once a week or so, 20 miles of highway to keep the emissions issues at bay. If I lived somewhere where I didn’t have to climb miles of grades at altitude anywhere I went, I would definitely be looking at a gasser. That Godzilla with 4.30s should be plenty for most who don’t tow fulltime, without the emissions concerns. The guys buying small blocks to tow, or trying to run 3.73s to save fuel, I don’t understand that logic.
Mine towing a utility trailer with a RZR or Ranger on it, from Phoenix to my Munds house, gets about 7-8 MPG. Doing the math on fuel and the purchase price of the 6.7 PS vs 7.3, I don’t think it ever pays you back?

I flog it up Sunset and it rolls. No work, no shifting back and forth. 7-8 gear all the way.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
To think he has all this time to back out of owning a ford and he still is waiting…
LOL what would be a better option?
Consider price in your response. I am not financing so this is a big factor.
Also my last truck had 13,000 miles after 2years of use.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Mine towing a utility trailer with a RZR or Ranger on it, from Phoenix to my Munds house, gets about 7-8 MPG. Doing the math on fuel and the purchase price of the 6.7 PS vs 7.3, I don’t think it ever pays you back?

I flog it up Sunset and it rolls. No work, no shifting back and forth. 7-8 gear all the way.
It’s hard to make the price vs fuel comparison make sense in most cases. I simply prefer the diesel, and I’m a Cummins fan, the Hemi doesn’t really compare, IMO. My TH will be anywhere from 10-13k depending on what I’ve got in it, and I prefer a diesel at that weight towing up the 17. That’s probably one of the toughest towing tests in the country, IMO. And when I make my yearly trip to the Midwest, is when it shines.

That being said, if I were looking new, I would probably go the 7.3/ 4.30 route, and spend my 10k savings on a 4cyl DD.

I missed out on the bombed diesel craze and am reliving it with my out of warranty Ram. I’m on the fence between a banks derringer (if it ever gets released) or a huge pothole that rips my exhaust (and DPF) off.

I’m willing to pay a little extra to have that diesel torque on tap- it’s worth the smiles per mile even if it doesn’t make financial sense.

That being said, in areas of the country where you’re not pulling 6% grades at 6000+ altitude, I see plenty of guys pulling BIG fivers with small block 4.10 trucks and doing just fine.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

I think I was flogged by the towing police when I brought that up in 2020..

There is literally no financial reason to get the diesel unless you are max towing all the time.

I say financial because of the constant complaints about truck prices. It is literally $10-$11k cheaper up front. The maintenance is more, the fuel is more, the mileage is only marginally better, and there is a chance you have a $10k fuel system repair.

That is a $10-$20k swing on a $60-$80k depreciating asset.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score

There is literally no financial reason to get the diesel unless you are max towing all the time.

I say financial because of the constant complaints about truck prices. It is literally $10-$11k cheaper up front. The maintenance is more, the fuel is more, the mileage is only marginally better, and there is a chance you have a $10k fuel system repair.
I’m actually the perfect test mule. I have a 22 F450, 6.7 to pull my Boat I’ve not ever driven it without it behind the truck. (Except around Havasu last week)

Daily driver is the 7.3 Tremor.

I far prefer the tremor but love to push on the throttle of the F450.

Two very different trucks for two very different purposes, but love them both.

Last edited:

NicPaus

Reaction score
Hopefully it comes through.

Last weekend I avg 15.8 mpg on my 2021 2500 gasser with 373. Not towing . Round trip to Parker on 1 tank if needed. Borrowing a friend 30' camper to see how it does. Handles the dump trailers and skid steer no problem. It was $47,500 before fees. Z71 4X4 Leather pretty loaded not LTZ though. Same truck diesel was 65K plus fees as I would of had to order. I still have 1 diesel but gas made more $ense.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
It’s hard to make the price vs fuel comparison make sense in most cases. I simply prefer the diesel, and I’m a Cummins fan, the Hemi doesn’t really compare, IMO. My TH will be anywhere from 10-13k depending on what I’ve got in it, and I prefer a diesel at that weight towing up the 17. That’s probably one of the toughest towing tests in the country, IMO. And when I make my yearly trip to the Midwest, is when it shines.

That being said, if I were looking new, I would probably go the 7.3/ 4.30 route, and spend my 10k savings on a 4cyl DD.

I missed out on the bombed diesel craze and am reliving it with my out of warranty Ram. I’m on the fence between a banks derringer (if it ever gets released) or a huge pothole that rips my exhaust (and DPF) off.

I’m willing to pay a little extra to have that diesel torque on tap- it’s worth the smiles per mile even if it doesn’t make financial sense.

That being said, in areas of the country where you’re not pulling 6% grades at 6000+ altitude, I see plenty of guys pulling BIG fivers with small block 4.10 trucks and doing just fine.
You’re 100% correct on I-17. Coming south out of Camp Verde is a real grind in the summer.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score

To some of us, the diesel clack clack is worth something. But I agree the payback doesn’t make sense for most.

Knock on wood, I’ve never had an emissions related issue on my two Ram Cummins trucks, but I do the little things to keep them happy, EB always on, highway miles every couple of weeks on my old truck (25 mile highway commute now) on the new truck. And I still idle them for up to an hour here or there if I need to sit in the A/C- as bad as that is suppose to be. I try to get some highway miles on afterward to force a regen though.

The constant need for DEF is a PITA- and a considerable expense- I use 3-4 2.5 gallon jugs each way when I tow from PHX to Iowa in the summer. At what is now 10-20 bucks a jug depending on where you buy it.

That being said, the diesel power is intoxicating- My neighbor has a newer 6.7/ 10 speed. I fucking hate it when people say “it tows it like it’s not even there” but goddamn he pulls a 43’ TH with his CCLB SRW rig like it’s NOT EVEN THERE. I would have called BS until I rode with him.

I’m interested to see how the 7.3/ 4.30 tows real world up grades. I know it does excellent with smaller loads and or smaller grades. And I’m interested to see how a 5 star tune and other mods (long tube headers and exhaust, with and without premium fuel) help on the heavier loads. Just the savings on potential emissions problems is huge.

CLdrinker

Reaction score

This is a wise man.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
My 6.4 Hemi 6 speed with 4:88’s pulled a 13k toy hauler well. Looking back I should have just kept it. But I have a sickness and change shit all the time.
This new truck has more power, 4 more transmission gears and still has a deep rear end gear. Still undecided what we are doing for an RV but it won’t be any heavier than the Stealth we had so this truck should do very well.

And like LOF said. 10k less buy in pays for allot of fuel. No def, turbos our injection system to worry about. That could easily cost 10k or more.

I would love to have a diesel I just don’t see the reason to spend that kind of money to get 4/5mpg more and up he hill 1minute faster.

Can’t wait to fill up that 48 gallon tank at $5 something a gallon.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
You’re 100% correct on I-17. Coming south out of Camp Verde is a real grind in the summer.

So would my 2019 Ram 6.4L gasser with 4:10 gear that does 60 mph up that hill pulling a 14K lbs SeaRay Sundancer 290 mean that I passed or failed? To anyone that says I could do 80 up the hill with my diesel, you may be right.. But the giant WIDELOAD banner and permits I have to use to tow it limits me to 55 mph unless I want to be impounded.....

7.3L 4.30 gasser would be my first choice for me going forward!

CLdrinker

Reaction score
They announced all of these allocations then 2 weeks in a row no scheduling.

FML
FA4856A3-D3C7-4A4C-A862-1E15BF847EAA.jpeg