WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ford 7.3L Gas coming in 2020

HitIt

Reaction score
Ford is putting out a new 7.3L gas big block V8 in 2020. Looks to be a cast iron big block, 2 valve pushrod engine. Should be quite the reliable torque monster. The 6.2L and V10 are planned to go away. They are going to put this in the Super Duty, vans, motor home chassis, etc. Couple that with the new 10 speed and you should have quite a sweet gas package that puts a dent in the diesel market.

Yeah, I know Ford blah blah :confused::eek::oops::rolleyes:

https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/09/rumor-confirmed-a-new-7-3l-gas-v8-is-coming-to-the-ford-super-duty/
https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...odzilla-7x-v8-engine-plus-a-new-name.1162603/

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Oh shit.... I have been waiting for this!

Been looking at f250’s with 6.2’s but they barely have more power than my 5.7hemi.
Rarely drive the truck so diesel don’t make sense and load is only 8k.

There is a market for a large gas engine.

Chevy needs to put out something other than the 6.0 barely. All of the half ton gas engines are making more power.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
If they can come out with a gas big block that puts out over 450hp and closer to 500ftlbs AND gets over 15 mpg...... Thatd be a winner!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
So they are reverting to the design Chevy has been successfully sticking with? Lol
SOUNDS GOOD!

Reactions: TPC

HitIt

Reaction score

Me, too. I tow around 10k max. I know the 1/2 tons are rated for it but I dont feel comfortable doing it. Also, I keep my trucks for a long time (10+ years). I dont want to deal with expensive turbo and emissions issues on the big diesels (which I would own for sure if cost wasn't an issue).

I have my fingers crossed for this new package. They have a lot at stake since this is going in so many different platforms. I hope that means they have done enough testing to ensure it will be really reliable.

HitIt

Reaction score
So they are reverting to the design Chevy has been successfully sticking with? Lol
SOUNDS GOOD!

It will be interesting to see what they have come up with for fueling and potentially variable displacement to get the mileage up to where it needs to be. I cant imagine the same-ol-same-ol will cut it these days. Especially considering this platform will have to take them through the emissions standards that will be in place 5 - 10 years from now.

jetur

Reaction score
Funny how it's a 7.3. I would be game for my work trucks but I will wait for the twin turbo for my weekend rig.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Glad I don't have to buy another 450/550 till sometime in 2021 or 22... give 'em time to get the bugs worked out.

guest hs

Reaction score
Ford needs to do something to lower the price of their trucks and a gas big block my just do it. Ford is in the toilet right now

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score

Been looking at f250’s with 6.2’s but they barely have more power than my 5.7hemi.
Rarely drive the truck so diesel don’t make sense and load is only 8k.

Chevy needs to put out something other than the 6.0 barely. All of the half ton gas engines are making more power.
I have heard, not sure if true, that when GM received bailout money that one of the conditions was they needed to get rid of the big block gas engines.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Ford didn't need to get bailed out.
I said GM.

But just to dispel this myth..."Ford did not receive TARP funds, it did receive government loans. These were critical because banks were not lending during the financial crisis. ... On June 23, 2009, Ford received a $5.9 billion loan from the Energy Department's Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing program."

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I have heard, not sure if true, that when GM received bailout money that one of the conditions was they needed to get rid of the big block gas engines.

That's an old tail. I heard the same thing about Dodge and their bailout in the 80's.

riverroyal

Reaction score
now if GM can fix the rest of the trucks their motor might actually be used for the life of the truck. Its the rest of the stuff that fails, especially the electronics.

This will be a diesel alternative, sounds like a good move

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
You mean it’s something to try and compete with the ram 6.4l hd hemi engine

wishiknew

Reaction score
Have a 2017 3500 crew cab with 6.0 service bed truck my guy uses $150 a day in gas he had a diesel same truck used $70 a day in diesel

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Needs a hell of a tune up though.

It’s power levels are pretty sad considering it’s displacement.

Agreed. Assumed withe today's direct injection etc... It would be pretty potent.
It already had 450 lb tq stock 10 yrs ago. Had a mild programmer on my rv appx 370 hp 480 tq.
It ran circles around my current similar yr rv with 6.8 v10

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what they have come up with for fueling and potentially variable displacement to get the mileage up to where it needs to be. I cant imagine the same-ol-same-ol will cut it these days. Especially considering this platform will have to take them through the emissions standards that will be in place 5 - 10 years from now.

If this engine is true, and the reports limiting it to F250-and-up are also true...vehicles in these classes are not included in CAFE numbers.

They’re basically considered light-duty commercial vehicles.

That’s why you don’t see MPG noted on the window stickers [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
I got tired of the Diesels. I bought a gasser 2015 F350 4x4 6.2 when I sold my business........ (I'm hoping I dont jynk myself)...100k, never spent a day in the shop, 6 speed, pulls my boat like a CHAMP...very suprised with the power.... get 12.1 mpg with a lead foot and 35's. Did get 13.2 in stock tires.
I hope I dont have to buy another Truck for a LONG time..... but will buy a gasser when I do.... I can't afford repair costs with diesels.... that's just me.... I had this truck built...sticker was 69k.... I'm not gonna be able to afford to buy this truck new again in a few years...

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Have the 8.1 gas 2500HD and the DMax 3500.
I’ll never go back to gas.

The 8.1 is peppy and a blast to drive but under towing conditions the DMax is heroic. Just never gives up. A sled dog

I check out the new RVs at our dealer that are gas and it’s first time buyers that buy them.

Most the MFGs don’t even offer Diesel on their C’s and entry A’s.
The small few that do offer nice driving units.

Front engine diesels used to be hammers of Hell noisy in addition to more money so the industry defaulted to mostly gas.
Diesels are quiet now. $5k to $7k more purchase price is nothing on a $100k+ machine.

With gas you either just filled up or are looking for a gas station or both.
The fuel burn, less power band and gas station hassle is nuts.

EGR is becoming a thing of the past and better mpg and 50+ more HP is an added bonus because if it.

Last edited:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Ford is putting out a new 7.3L gas big block V8 in 2020. Looks to be a cast iron big block, 2 valve pushrod engine.

All the experts 10-15 years ago said chevy was done and could never compete when they decided to stick to 2 valve pushrod motors while ford opted for for overhead cam 4 valve motors. They sure proved that wrong. the overhead cam motors with 4 valves have twice the valve seals and guides to end up wearing and leaking over time consuming oil, massively expensive and complex to service chain timing sets, way more expensive to manufacture with multiple cams and larger heads, and 4 valve motors don't really show any massive benefits until way higher in the RPM range (where a pickup truck never lives).

The Chevy LS based motors really have shown just how good a pushrod single cam can perform.

RCDave

Reaction score
Chevy was done. Until the BK / Govt bailout / and illegal screwing of the bondholders.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

The 8.1 is peppy and a blast to drive but under towing conditions the DMax is heroic. Just never gives up. A sled dog

I check out the new RVs at our dealer that are gas and it’s first time buyers that buy them.

Front engine diesels used to be hammers of Hell noisy in addition to more money so the industry defaulted to mostly gas.
Diesels are quiet now. $5k to $7k more purchase price is nothing on a $100k+ machine.

EGR is becoming a thing of the past and better mpg and 50+ more HP is an added bonus because if it.

Unless we are talking a Class 7 chassis and such, I won't even consider a diesel for our fleet. Gas engines go years with nothing more than an oil change and filter. The last F450 diesel we had was a hangar queen, good ridence.

MH and such, maybe for over the road duties or long trips diesel makes better sense, but that is just play money anyway so who cares.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Unless we are talking a Class 7 chassis and such, I won't even consider a diesel for our fleet. Gas engines go years with nothing more than an oil change and filter. The last F450 diesel we had was a hangar queen, good ridence.

MH and such, maybe for over the road duties or long trips diesel makes better sense, but that is just play money anyway so who cares.
Our gas FORDS all suffered secondary combustion in the Cats. Couldn't go 200 miles without failure and being dead on the side of the highway, and Ford covering it was near impossible.
The Ford 6.0 diesel? It's history, reliability and mulligans are well documented.
Dmax for this family and we'll never look back.

HitIt

Reaction score

Don't you tow a bajillion pound 5th wheel? I would go diesel with something like that, too. For an application that is a little heavy for a 1/2 ton, but not by much, the new 1000 ft.lb. diesels are a bit overkill in terms of cost and performance. But then again, this probably isn't the right forum to be poo-pooing overkill :) :)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Be still my beating heart. Too bad Dodge was forced to destroy their BB tooling in the 8os as a condition for taking their bailout.

Ford is putting out a new 7.3L gas big block V8 in 2020. Looks to be a cast iron big block, 2 valve pushrod engine. Should be quite the reliable torque monster. The 6.2L and V10 are planned to go away. They are going to put this in the Super Duty, vans, motor home chassis, etc. Couple that with the new 10 speed and you should have quite a sweet gas package that puts a dent in the diesel market.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/09/rumor-confirmed-a-new-7-3l-gas-v8-is-coming-to-the-ford-super-duty/
https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...odzilla-7x-v8-engine-plus-a-new-name.1162603/

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I would not be surprised. The .gov did the same thing to Dodge in the 80s

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Interesting article.

With so much new technology available today, it could be an impressive package.

If one could afford such a beast! :D:p

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Our gas FORDS all suffered secondary combustion in the Cats. Couldn't go 200 miles without failure and being dead on the side of the highway, and Ford covering it was near impossible.
The Ford 6.0 diesel? It's history, reliability and mulligans are well documented.
Dmax for this family and we'll never look back.

I've got a fleet of them and nothing like that has happened...

So gas for us.

CLdrinker

Reaction score

Obviously diesel is the way to go if money is of no concern.

But there is a market for the guys that are pulling heavy loads say 9-12k on rare occasion.

For me it makes sense because it would be a third vehicle. And maybe see 5,000 miles a year. And my current trailer is no more than 8,000lbs. My half ton does just fine but a bit heavier truck would be nice. Spending 60k on a truck for that kind of use is dumb unless you have money to burn.

You mentioned fuel mileage. That is a small argument. As I’m sure you know the initial but in for a diesel is much more. You can buy lots of gas for 5-10k.

No if you are laying down lots of mileage the buy in for the diesel starts Making sense.

This all goes out the window of money don’t matter because the power of the diesel is unmatched.

Groper

Reaction score
Ummm......show me where there is anything printed about a Full size Van like a 3/4 or 1 ton E-250, E350 Econo or Passenger chassis. :confused:
Two yrs ago when purchasing my F-250 "King Fng. Ranch" I asked about full size vans and was informed "that there gone, all you can get now is one of these eurovans with a v6"

pronstar

Reaction score
Ummm......show me where there is anything printed about a Full size Van like a 3/4 or 1 ton E-250, E350 Econo or Passenger chassis. :confused:
Two yrs ago when purchasing my F-250 "King Fng. Ranch" I asked about full size vans and was informed "that there gone, all you can get now is one of these eurovans with a v6"

They have Nissan badges and are ugly as shit.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Yup. No more econoline. Just the slant nose pieces of shit. But hey, at least they arent FRONT WHEEL DRIVE like the Goats..... (I typed Fiats and it autocorrected to Goats. Too perfect, had to leave it) errr...... I mean Rams.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Why are the pieces of shit? I rented one not to long ago, man do the drive nice. Had an ecoboost V6, the thing would scoot. Rides better than an Econoline and certainly handles better.

When we were in England they were all over the place with stake beds and utility bodies, it appears that at least there the use them like cab/chassis we have here.

pronstar

Reaction score
Not quite the same thing, but we’ve got quite a few Sprinter vans in our fleet.

DPF nonsense aside, they drive really nice. Same interior controls and gauges as the older C-Class my mom used to have LOL

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Why are the pieces of shit? I rented one not to long ago, man do the drive nice. Had an ecoboost V6, the thing would scoot. Rides better than an Econoline and certainly handles better.

When we were in England they were all over the place with stake beds and utility bodies, it appears that at least there the use them like cab/chassis we have here.
I would agree with that. We have one as a family truckster with the ecoboost and mid top that you can stand up in. Runs great, drives way better than the 3500 express van we had. It is no where near as robust as the E350 or Express, but for what we do with it there is no way I’d get another “conventional” van. I guess it all comes down to what you want to do with it. Just like this debate about the new gas Ford. I think we will see a lot of changes and Ford trying to drive the truck technology since that is pretty much all they will be selling in the US shortly. They are doubling down on the truck market and had better show the decision was a good one by getting a larger part of the share.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
Since we have taken the fork to the new vans, do they have any decent tow rating?

Sent from a van down by the river. [emoji111]️[emoji41]

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Anyone who talks shit about a Sprinter has clearly never driven or owned one.

Groper

Reaction score

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Ford didn't need to get bailed out.
Yet. They aren't doing well right now. Their bond rating is in the toilet and they are in the middle of revamping their entire lineup to completely stop selling cars except the mustang, which is a shame as the sports cars they build st, rt, sport, sho are actually pretty good.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Ford did get bailed out. They just did it on a different Gov program and pretended to be a white knight about it.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
GM should put the 7.0 LS in a pickup , you can now order a big brake system .

Last edited:

RCDave

Reaction score
Being involved in akc dog shows, sprinters are the most common van. From what I hear, they are quite reliable and nice to drive. Many show up with 16' to 22' travel trailers behind them. I see them pulling grades with these moderate weight trailers just fine.

Even the Mercedes Metris is rated to tow 5,000.

Stay within the engineered tow ratings and they do fine.

Not everyone needs a peterbuilt to tow a 24' boat that weighs 10,000 lbs. Lol

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Being involved in akc dog shows, sprinters are the most common van. From what I hear, they are quite reliable and nice to drive. Many show up with 16' to 22' travel trailers behind them. I see them pulling grades with these moderate weight trailers just fine.

Even the Mercedes Metris is rated to tow 5,000.

Stay within the engineered tow ratings and they do fine.

Not everyone needs a peterbuilt to tow a 24' boat that weighs 10,000 lbs. Lol
Customer showed up with a class 1 car to drop off for Motec programming the other day, towed it with an MB dually sprinter, the thing was badass.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

For a work van that tends to have a lot of weight in it they just dont seem to have the balls to get outta their own way.