WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ford 7.3L Gas coming in 2020

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I’m still not buying it that this engine is even real...I’ll reserve judgement until we get info from a more reputable source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I will say its possible existence sounds 100% contrary to the direction of which Ford has been going with its engines for the last 10 years. Granted, there are a lot of financial reasoning for it to happen, it just seems way too contradictory to me.

I hope I'm wrong and i hope it encourages a Big Block for the HD trucks from the other manufacturers as well as long as they can successfully adapt the new tech to the engine,

But, I guess if you think about it.... What does the 3.5 ecoboost get mileage wise when towing a heavy load? Ive heard 12 is fairly common. The old 460 big blocks with a 3 speed would commonly get 8 no matter what. So I could see how a 10 speed trans, port injection, variable valve timing, and the more efficiently opperating drive train components could easily increase that mileage greatly and get it inline with the loaded ecoboost economy numbers. It just likely wouldnt pull the same numbers while unloaded.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Yellowboat

Reaction score
My guess is they want it as a lower cost replacement for a diesel. That and getting diesels too pass smog.... The tech is not there yet.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Have the 8.1 gas 2500HD and the DMax 3500.
I’ll never go back to gas.

The 8.1 is peppy and a blast to drive but under towing conditions the DMax is heroic. Just never gives up. A sled dog

I check out the new RVs at our dealer that are gas and it’s first time buyers that buy them.

Most the MFGs don’t even offer Diesel on their C’s and entry A’s.
The small few that do offer nice driving units.

Front engine diesels used to be hammers of Hell noisy in addition to more money so the industry defaulted to mostly gas.
Diesels are quiet now. $5k to $7k more purchase price is nothing on a $100k+ machine.

With gas you either just filled up or are looking for a gas station or both.
The fuel burn, less power band and gas station hassle is nuts.

EGR is becoming a thing of the past and better mpg and 50+ more HP is an added bonus because if it.
you are correct, the first time I bought a motorhome in 2019 it was a gas coach...

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Hmmmm Chevy has no big blocks, Ford has a simple big block that can withstand twin turbos. Might we see fords in boats again...

It’s a cast iron block. It weighs 150 lbs more than an LS/LT based aluminum block engine.

HitIt

Reaction score
How many miles? Any problems?
I have one on order, can't wait!
Around 3500 miles no problems. Most towing a 12k 5th wheel. Love the truck. The combo of the 7.3 and the 10 speed is awesome. The 10 speed can always find the right gear especially when going downhill. I am really happy with my decision to go with the gasser for the simplicity. I keep my vehicles for a long time. If I was always towing 15k+, I would have considered the diesel but even then, the 7.3 would work. I also got the 4.30 gears.

Only downside is I get 7mpg towing the 5er. That along with the 34 gallon tank kinda sucks.

Anyway, if the truck disappeared tomorrow I would order another.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
The TT V6 makes crazy power. Why not just build a small V8 with TT and be at 500HP 500TQ mated to a 10 speed.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
GM should’ve come out with a 7.0L LS instead of a 6.6 , they already have the block .

The 7.0 was badass, but the new 6.6 is really very similar to the Gen 5 6.2 L86. It’s basically a line extension of the 5.3/6.2 small block [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
GM should’ve come out with a 7.0L LS instead of a 6.6 , they already have the block .
Likely longevity. The 7.0 LS has extremely thin Cylinder walls (Its actually just the cylinder sleeves if I recall correctly, not block material between the cylinders). Excessive and prolonged duty cycles would likely produce far too much heat for the cooling system to effectively remove from the engine to prevent major damage. I do agree, a larger displacement would have been much better..... and the damn 10 speed!!! It only makes sense.

sfury

Reaction score
The F53 class A chassis with the new 7.3L is burning spark plug wires and causing miss fire codes. They also let a few chassis out with low rear diff fluid and want dealers to replace inner/outer bearings, bearing cups for 2.1 hours. Ford warranty labor sucks.