WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ford Diesel 6.0 Degas Bottle ? Repling

hulihan

Reaction score
How hard is it to change that degas bottle, or reservoir for the coolant on the ford trucks, looks like a few screws and 3 hoses and make sure the enigine is cold, mine is leaking and just ordered a new one , but do not feel like paying a mechanic to do something that looks so simple , any suggestions ?

hulihan

Reaction score
Someone has to have changed one of these, my plan is to disconnect all the hoses9 I think 3 total) and remove and reverse the process, will only drain out very little coolant and the system is brand new and just refill to correct level and run truck ? I am not a mechanic, but this looks easy

welldigger00

Reaction score
The best way to do it is replace it with a dodge! Lol!

J5Daytona

Reaction score
Just did mine on my 04 piece of cake . i believe its just the screws on the firewall that hold it if I remember correctly, took about 20 mins total.

welldigger00

Reaction score
It's always good to laugh. I feel your pain with the 6.0 ford's. Except I then suffered through the next two generation ford diesels as well. I got rid of them, I still have four late model 7.3's, and now a new Ram on the way. I know the cummins won't let me down. I'm just worried about the rest of the truck. That's one thing you never even thought about with the F550's was the truck itself.

hulihan

Reaction score
It's always good to laugh. I feel your pain with the 6.0 ford's. Except I then suffered through the next two generation ford diesels as well. I got rid of them, I still have four late model 7.3's, and now a new Ram on the way. I know the cummins won't let me down. I'm just worried about the rest of the truck. That's one thing you never even thought about with the F550's was the truck itself.

Let me know what you think of the ram, the chevy was like a tin can, at first I really liked it, but it did not take long to miss the space and solidness of the fords, the Rams look cool and a new Diesel sounds like a solid truck, good luck and post up some pics when you get it, good luck, and you are right, laughing is fun !

welldigger00

Reaction score
I will post some pic's for sure. I took a look at the Chevrolet 3500 dually and I was not as pleased with the fit and finish as with the Ram. I also am not a fan of independent front suspension with a four wheel drive. The other major factor was that I could not get a standard shift trans in the Chevrolet. So Ram it is. This will be a first for me, as to my family goes back to the late 20's with ford trucks. I also was able to dodge (pun intended) the urea injection. I had problems with the f 550 that i had freezing and putting the truck in limp mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spot

Reaction score
To change the degas bottle simply drain coolant utilizing the drain valve on bottom of the radiator. The drain valve is white and plastic. You don't need to drain it all, just till the bottle is empty. Disconnect lines, remove bolts and install new one. Refill with appropriate 50/50 mix of coolant. Make sure you use the appropriate coolant. Usually it's ford gold or red elc. Do not mix different colored coolants. Your new bottle should have the appropriate fill line. Do not overfill.

Now, these bottles usually do not spring random leaks. Unfortunately you may have other problems that may have caused pressure to build in your degas bottle and create the leak. You may want to get the truck looked at to make sure you don't have other issues brewing. The longer it goes the problems that can develop grow. If you remove your egr valve and see moisture in there, that's a sign you have a problem.

I am not a diesel mechanic; just a 6.0 owner who has tried to learn what I can to save myself money.

hulihan

Reaction score
To change the degas bottle simply drain coolant utilizing the drain valve on bottom of the radiator. The drain valve is white and plastic. You don't need to drain it all, just till the bottle is empty. Disconnect lines, remove bolts and install new one. Refill with appropriate 50/50 mix of coolant. Make sure you use the appropriate coolant. Usually it's ford gold or red elc. Do not mix different colored coolants. Your new bottle should have the appropriate fill line. Do not overfill.

Now, these bottles usually do not spring random leaks. Unfortunately you may have other problems that may have caused pressure to build in your degas bottle and create the leak. You may want to get the truck looked at to make sure you don't have other issues brewing. The longer it goes the problems that can develop grow. If you remove your egr valve and see moisture in there, that's a sign you have a problem.

I am not a diesel mechanic; just a 6.0 owner who has tried to learn what I can to save myself money.

It took about 20 minutes to change and has been perfect, today I will drive far to Parker and then Havasu , so hopefully after the Degas change, new Bullet proof Oil and Egr and whatever else they did, I am good for a long time, the tested it and said the heads were perfect, so I think I am good, I do drive it alot and everything is perfect since I put the new Degas bottle in :)
Thanks !
My other 6.0, needs a freeze plug, so I added this stuff from Obrians Auto parts and it sealed the leak, or I can pay 600.00 to have a new freeze plug installed, but the leak stopped, not sure what a freeze plug does ? But the stuff I added stopped the leak !

D

Deleted Account

I'm in the same boat. We bought four new F-350 and 450's in '12. One lost the rear R&P in 10K and took 3 weeks to get back. One 450 keeps having electronic issues and going into limp mode. Another lost a turbo. Bought a couple 3500 Rams after that and so far GTG.

I bought an 09 Ram 3500 Mega 4WD when my Ford broke down AGAIN on the way home from the dealer. I have 85K on it with a lot of off road miles and its still tight and runs great. It runs so good I never even hot rodded it. The jake brake is awesome and being able to just hit the shifter to drop it into 5th or whatever gear you want makes it easy. I put Carli suspension on it and it smoothed the ride out a ton but it can still pull weight with the bags aired up.

Pretty much over buying Ford work trucks.:grumble:

Attachments

• IMG_0563 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0563 (Large).jpg
    75 KB · Views: 105