WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ford Diesel

Craig

Reaction score
So since thieves relieved me of my F-250 two weeks ago, I'm going to look at a new (or used) truck in a few months. Are the diesels as unreliable as I hear or is just bad luck for some friends luck? I keep hearing about the head gaskets not lasting and some other issues. I had a 2000 V-10 and that worked well for towing my 22' boat, but in a year or so, I'd like to get a 24-28 ft box trailer to haul my car around the country to a few races. Not sure if the new gas engine has the power I'd need :hmm

vee-driven

Reaction score
i dont have a single friend that is happy with their 6.0hno.

NAFLASH

Reaction score
You can't really go wrong with a 7.3 but any other ford diesel is a crap shoot.

Joepump

Reaction score
Stay away from the 6.0. Had an 04' and an 06' , HEAD GASKETS are a problem.:thumbsdown

STV_Keith

Reaction score
If you have to have a Ford, the 7.3 was the best motor they built (well, IH built) for the power. Just make sure to get the 99-03 intercooled version (~210hp/350ft-lbs stock to the wheels). Say what you want about a Dodge truck, I'll take Cummins with a manual behind it as a tow rig/HP daily driver any day. 500hp/1100ft-lbs makes for a nice grocery getter. :)

Halvecto

Reaction score
The Ford diesel conversation comes up often here. I have the 7.3 F250 2WD and love it. I bought it with 110k on it and no engine, electronic or exhaust modifications at all. It runs like a champ, pulls great and starts every time. 16-18 mpg, solid trans, I need to get new shocks.

But I am wondering; all the negative reviews and complaints about the 6.0, 6.4, etc., are those experiences with stock power plants or modified? A friend has done some mods (Banks kit, etc.) to his Diesel Excursion and he has all kinds of problems. Are people having the same bad experience with the 6.0 & 6.4 with stock set-ups (no exhaust, no chip, etc.) or are most "tuned" up with all the works? There is a never ending list of mods for the diesel segment now.

Craig

Reaction score
, I'll take Cummins with a manual behind it as a tow rig/HP daily driver any day. 500hp/1100ft-lbs makes for a nice grocery getter. :)

That would be nice, but I assume that's not stock? What did it take to get that power? Looking through the web it looks like 350 horse and 650 torque was the highest to date. I would consider the manual box, little less to go wrong!

WildHorses24

Reaction score
Stay away from the 6.0. Had an 04' and an 06' , HEAD GASKETS are a problem.:thumbsdown

I've said it before...some used 6.0's not bad for the money. So many issues with guys tuning them to the moon and pulling heavy loads or driving like sports cars will do it! I've had an 03 lifted & banks, never an issue, my 06 with banks blew the head gaskets replaced with ARP's and never again had an issue. These trucks are on fire sale everywhere because of the bad press... find a newer one with low miles and clean, throw in some "insurance" mods; ARP head bolts, EGR cooler and External oil cooler and you're good! All mods and truck still cheaper than other brands or buying new..

just my .02

STV_Keith

Reaction score

jsquaredgc

Reaction score
Im on my 5th Ford Truck, currently I drive a 2007 F 250 Diesel. It has 149,000 mile on it, I have replaced EGR valve (twice) EGR cooler, oil pump cooler , fuel injector pump, fuel injectors, A/C control modular , all this within weeks of each other, all the trouble happened around 85000 miles. I drive a lot of miles but my trucks are WELL taken care of. Always serviced on time, washed twice a week, detailed Monthly...babied. DO NOT buy the 6.0 diesel motor, Ford has massive problems with it. Especially the 07. Grand Total for all these repairs $4800- oh and by the way the engine light is on again :grumble: Estimated repair this time $1200 - they think its the turbo- Ford tech will check it out this week.

Fury25

Reaction score
Im on my 5th Ford Truck, currently I drive a 2007 F 250 Diesel. It has 149,000 mile on it, I have replaced EGR valve (twice) EGR cooler, oil pump cooler , fuel injector pump, fuel injectors, A/C control modular , all this within weeks of each other, all the trouble happened around 85000 miles. I drive a lot of miles but my trucks are WELL taken care of. Always serviced on time, washed twice a week, detailed Monthly...babied. DO NOT buy the 6.0 diesel motor, Ford has massive problems with it. Especially the 07. Grand Total for all these repairs $4800- oh and by the way the engine light is on again :grumble: Estimated repair this time $1200 - they think its the turbo- Ford tech will check it out this week.

You may need to find a better tech, usually parts in the same systems don't fail with in weeks of each other, it's more of a miss diagnosed concern. plus the truck should have been under warranty at 85000 miles.

I've had 3 6.0 one I put head gaskets on because it was juiced to the moon. the others stock and work just fine. I have a all stock 03 6.0 (the worst year) with 180,000 and runs great plus like said before you can find them cheap. just find one with no mods and try and have a warranty history ran to see what has been replaced. (the first few years of the 6.0 the tech didn't know how to diag them and just through parts at them hopping they would get fixed, this was also more of a flat rating thing)

just my .02 find a good one and you'll be happy if you can find a 06 i think they were the best year of the 6.0.

jsquaredgc

Reaction score
Well I wont mention the dealerships - Ill buy another Ford thats not the issue, The year 07 they have had many problems, our other trucks have had the same problems, I have friends with the same issues, Ford bought their trucks back from them. It is what it is, Ford makes a great truck always has Ill be getting a new one soon.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
So since thieves relieved me of my F-250 two weeks ago, I'm going to look at a new (or used) truck in a few months. Are the diesels as unreliable as I hear or is just bad luck for some friends luck? I keep hearing about the head gaskets not lasting and some other issues. I had a 2000 V-10 and that worked well for towing my 22' boat, but in a year or so, I'd like to get a 24-28 ft box trailer to haul my car around the country to a few races. Not sure if the new gas engine has the power I'd need :hmm

I may be selling an 05 F-350 King Ranch with 72,000 miles in the near future. No mods on the engine and a 6" lift. I haven't decided for sure yet.

h2o225

Reaction score
05 f250 6.0 banks IQ, bullet Proof complete system. Did the Bullet Proof system in July out of warranty. Truck started showing symptoms of bad egr and oil cooler. Have had minor issues with motor. Do the maintenance regularly, pay attention to gauges you will be ok. Love my truck.

Gone_Flat

Reaction score
05 f250 6.0 banks IQ, bullet Proof complete system. Did the Bullet Proof system in July out of warranty. Truck started showing symptoms of bad egr and oil cooler. Have had minor issues with motor. Do the maintenance regularly, pay attention to gauges you will be ok. Love my truck.

I have to agree with h20 ,yes i spent the 5k outa warranty but she runs like shes suppose too now!!! TUNNEL T

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
That would be nice, but I assume that's not stock? What did it take to get that power? Looking through the web it looks like 350 horse and 650 torque was the highest to date. I would consider the manual box, little less to go wrong!

With EFI Live, you can get 526 hp / 1027 lb-ft of torque from a bone stock Cummins 5.9L :thumbsup

Here's a link...just a programmer, no other mods.
http://www.relentlessdiesel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=319

You'll need to upgrade your tranny to handle that much power, obviously.

River911

911 River Trip
Reaction score
My 08' 6.4L diesel has over 146K. Left me once. But it warned me 150mi before it crapped out. egt sensor went bad. Zero other problems, and I mean zero. I hate to get rid of it but the drivers side floor mat is worn out :D

JBS

Reaction score
My 08' 6.4L diesel has over 146K. Left me once. But it warned me 150mi before it crapped out. egt sensor went bad. Zero other problems, and I mean zero. I hate to get rid of it but the drivers side floor mat is worn out :D

Seriously you are backed in a corner. I feel your pain;)

67 baron sprint LD 390 FE

Reaction score
I'm a huge ford guy and just bought a 06 350 dually 6.0 let me say I was very timid about it but did some research and there is a lot of bad and a lot of good I've found. I think the best thing to do is replace the egr cooler and oil cooler and that will solve most of the issues and stay up on maintenance. The truck I just bought has 30,000 on it still brand new so I can catch these issues before its to late .

Meaney77

Reaction score

Lets be honest, head gaskets are only a portion of it.... the 6.0L is a big POS, lucky I got out of mine when I did.