WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ford Focus DCT Transmission = POS

PokerRun388

Reaction score
Well it finally happened to me this morning. I get off the 405 FWY & the car looses all power & starts acting as though it will not go forward. I pull up to the signal & hit the throttle hard, RPMs rev way up & no power. I limp it to my work parking lot & won't go into reverse. Now it wouldn't start at all so I put it into neutral & push it into a parking spot. This is a 2013 car w/ only 33k miles, what a joke. I have seen all the youtube videos about the DCT, but today was my first experience loosing all power. Time to ask for the day off & call AAA.

Even more ridiculous is that Ford wouldn't supply me with a loaner car for the next day or two, so now I'm out of work day & will have to figure out a way to Uber to work & home tomorrow & possibly Wednesday. Oh & I forgot about the $63 tow fee to the Ford dealer I had to pay. What bugs me about not providing a loaner car is that this has been going on with the Ford Focus & Fiesta since 2012, so it's nothing new.

And some people wonder why Ford isn't selling cars anymore? What a joke....

Even when this car gets repaired I don't not trust it whatsoever in traffic now & had the car done that in traffic lanes today it could've caused a very serious accident....

If anyone has a 2012-2014 Focus, I'm sure you've experienced some of the same sputtering & shuddering on acceleration, however the complete loss of power today made be nervous.

Sorry for the rant, good day everyone.

82daytona

Reaction score
Sorry about your luck Stephen. Hopefully it gets better soon [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I think they extended the warranty on those to 7 years and or 150k miles. (at least that is what i got for my 2012)

Luckily i have not lost the total power effect like you did. I have 165k miles on it and keep my fingers crossed now.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
My sister in law and her mother both have fords with this POS transmission....the first time I drove one, I thought it was broken. I mentioned my experience and told her she should take it and get it fixed...but she said it's normal and has always done that. It is normal, it's just a POS. I can't understand why, after test driving one, anyone would buy a car with that gearbox.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
My Daughter has a 2013 Focus with 46K on it. It has been towed to the dealership twice. One time, it was the control module for the transmission. When that goes, it is like you are trying to start the car in Drive. It won't turn over or anything, because it doesn't know if the car is in gear. Ford told me "Don't worry, it has a 15 year 150K warranty on that part". I wonder why that is?? Because it is a high failure rate part.

The second time, all the lights came on (check engine, brake, etc...) and she couldn't steer the car out of a parking space. It was some sort of sensor. I am about done with the car. I have only had to have a car towed a few times in my life, and this one has been towed twice in one year.

Steven, If you have been in the shop at least 3 times, try to lemon law it. It is a known problematic car. Call Law Offices Of Jon Jacobs and talk to them. They will tell you if you have a case or not. I think their website is LemonBuyBack dot com

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Well it finally happened to me this morning. I get off the 405 FWY & the car looses all power & starts acting as though it will not go forward. I pull up to the signal & hit the throttle hard, RPMs rev way up & no power. I limp it to my work parking lot & won't go into reverse. Now it wouldn't start at all so I put it into neutral & push it into a parking spot. This is a 2013 car w/ only 33k miles, what a joke. I have seen all the youtube videos about the DCT, but today was my first experience loosing all power. Time to ask for the day off & call AAA.

Even more ridiculous is that Ford wouldn't supply me with a loaner car for the next day or two, so now I'm out of work day & will have to figure out a way to Uber to work & home tomorrow & possibly Wednesday. Oh & I forgot about the $63 tow fee to the Ford dealer I had to pay. What bugs me about not providing a loaner car is that this has been going on with the Ford Focus & Fiesta since 2012, so it's nothing new.

Even when this car gets repaired I don't not trust it whatsoever in traffic now & had the car done that in traffic lanes today it could've caused a very serious accident....

If anyone has a 2012-2014 Focus, I'm sure you've experienced some of the same sputtering & shuddering on acceleration, however the complete loss of power today made be nervous.

It’s not like they didn’t circle it in bright blue and place it front and center to remind you what you got yourself into:D

718107C0-0BA7-4E10-8C77-39E77089500B.jpeg

TCHB

Reaction score

My daughter has had many problems with the transmission. Every time the give her a loaner car.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I had a friend who just had her focus bought back under some class action suit, transmission related, not sure if same one as yours. She ended up getting everything she ever paid back, I couldn't believe it. Have a look and see if it applies to your car, I believe its a VIN search and you can apply for it. I have another friend who has a 2015 that has all those shakes and such off the line, I am pushing her to take it in and start documenting all this, she is quite lazy with auto care, so definitely needs to build the case should it be the lemon they all seem to be.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Reactions: TPC

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
DCT is the answer to a problem no one outside of a racetrack has.

Even BMW M Division is ditching them, for conventional torque-converter automatics.

Acura sells a DCT attached to a torque converter to get it to shift right for street driving...at that point why even bother with the DCT?

And Nissan’s CVT is junk.
The only CVT that’s worth a shit is on Toyota and Lexus Hybrids, but they’re a completely different animal than any other CVT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Lol, why are you driving a chick car to begin with lol. Turn your man card in while you are at it.

CobraDave

Reaction score
I just spent a week driving a Nissan Rogue... Holly shit I didn't think the thing would.make it back to the rental lot. It shook and surged and "shifted" funny the entire trip.

Just got a Nissan Altima with a CVT. All is well but starting reading the horror stories. I recently changed the fluid at 30k miles to be a little safer. Damn things though with no dipstick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pesky Varmint

Reaction score
Don't know about DCT. But myself and a friend found out the hard way about CVT. Never again.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
DCT is the answer to a problem no one outside of a racetrack has.

Even BMW M Division is ditching them, for conventional torque-converter automatics.

Acura sells a DCT attached to a torque converter to get it to shift right for street driving...at that point why even bother with the DCT?

And Nissan’s CVT is junk.
The only CVT that’s worth a shit is on Toyota and Lexus Hybrids, but they’re a completely different animal than any other CVT.

Mazda uses a combo part CVT / part traditional design and so far good luck with ours.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Mazda uses a combo part CVT / part traditional design and so far good luck with ours.

The SkyActive 6 speed mechanically appears to be a conventional automatic with revised lockup system that has a smaller torque converter and a lockup clutch...?

They claim the best of AT, CVT and DSG, but I don’t see any CVT-like pullies or variable ratios, or pre-selected gears like a DSG.

It looks like a good transmission regardless [emoji106]

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The SkyActive 6 speed mechanically appears to be a conventional automatic with revised lockup system that has a smaller torque converter and a lockup clutch...?

They claim the best of AT, CVT and DSG, but I don’t see any CVT-like pullies or variable ratios, or pre-selected gears like a DSG.

It looks like a good transmission regardless [emoji106]

It's what the brochure said so damfino.
Maynards 2018 Sentra CVT transmission with only 5000 miles is pretty clunky.
Came with a 4/48.000 warranty though.
As my grandfather told me once: "Never get an automatic, they're trick transmissions."

We had one of the first Grand Cherokees with the V8 factory towing pkg.
Dealers like to just add a hitch then sell it as a towing pkg but we were hep and made sure it had the Factory installed pkg.
Ford and Chevy you got more than a hitch with the towing pkg, bigger radiator & fan, trans cooler, different diff in some cases and other perks. So I held that thought.

The few times I took it in for routine service their was a line of people with Grand Cherokee transmission problems.
I asked the service writer why ours is holding up with all the heavy towing we do in hot conditions.
'You have the Toyota/Borg Warner trans that comes with the towing pkg."
Now, I took his word for it, never checked further if that was really the case or just dumb luck and he was talking through his ass or what.

The people with the transmission problems were given the option of another new stock jeep auto transmission or a rebuilt that the dealer claimed was much more stout and reliable.

Last edited:

Deltarat

Reaction score
I had the same issues, I ended up calling Ford and ask them to initiate a Lemon Law buy back, it took about 6 weeks total but they did buy the car back. The process was smoother than I ever expected it would be.....

Reactions: TPC

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Are these in the Ford Fusion as well?
I don't think so. I drove a 2014 Fusion for a couple months, and it drove fine and felt fine. When I drive my daughters Focus, it feels weird. I have put about 230,00 miles on Ford Tauruses since 2014. They don't have the same tranny as the Focus. I believe the Fusion has the same tranny as the Taurus.

Sent using Tapatalk

cnj

Reaction score
Annnnnnd that's why I drive a 2003 Honda with a 5 speed manual.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I had the same issues, I ended up calling Ford and ask them to initiate a Lemon Law buy back, it took about 6 weeks total but they did buy the car back. The process was smoother than I ever expected it would be.....
Well Ford has had a lot of experience with the lemon law fiasco, starting with the 6.ohno

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk