WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ford Super Duty chip shortage

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Anyone got any inside scoop or info on the how the chip shortage is going?

Im looking for a used f350 and I’m thinking the prices are going to start coming down if they get chips to the trucks parked in storage.
Also what are they going to do with all these 2021’s sitting without chips and 2022’s are due to come out soon?

I have been looking at trucks for 2 weeks Dam near 8hrs a day and prices are creeping down.

Big dollar trucks on str8uptoytrader aren’t moving like they were a few months ago.

Thoughts?

Reactions: DWC

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
We use the same chips on our boards. We are hearing end of 23’ before the start of supply again. Grey markets (brokers) are sucking up any excess stock and selling it immediately. We have an order though the mfg for 1 million in chips and our first delivery isn’t until April of 24’

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
A signifiant amount of the built inventory is already spoken for based on info online..that may be changing, but I know of several friends who are waiting on their long ordered trucks. We got super lucky on the f250 for the cabin being delivered before things got stupid.

My buddy who owns a dealer in MO was saying they aren't expecting stable inventory until 22 sometime..

jetur

Reaction score
Supposedly, the trucks that are sitting were pre ordered. Don't know if that was from dealers for the lots or by individuals, or a combination.
Ford is currently working on their own chip factory to not get caught with pants down again.
The luxury trucks take two chips instead of one, so more than likely the plan will be to build a bunch of STX, XLTs, ect. until they get caught up on chips.
I gave up on a "21" and told my salesman to call me after the dust clears.

cofooter

Reaction score
Takes a few years to ramp up capacity. Go back to December '20 and count from there. I'm in the industry and we're dying, no real relief in sight unless we see a huge reduction in demand for fab capacity......

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. It just saves you from having to push a new truck.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

hawgty55

Reaction score
I like the fact that there getting cheaper!

Are these trucks hard to find because of the want for a specific model? I see trucks at all the dealerships. Granted there are minimal compared to a regular scenario but there are trucks on the lot.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Unprecedented…

IMG_7322.png

Covid is surging in SE Asia, more lockdowns are imminent…things aren’t getting better anytime soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I don’t expect any changes in the foreseeable future. I was going to order a new Ram 3500, but between pricing and being unable to get a timeline on delivery, I ended up going used. The only price drops I’ve seen are on trucks that the owners priced out of the market, and have brought their asking price back to reality. The HD trucks- especially 3500s/350s have remained strong due to their lower availability compared to 2500s/250s.

I found the exact truck I wanted on Vroom, and jumped on it. I paid all the money- but I got all the money for my Tacoma on trade- so I consider it a wash. Will prices drop at some point? Sure. But I wasn’t willing to wait for 6-12-18 months to find out. And the truck I was looking for (3500 Mega SRW w/ Aisin trans) is like finding a needle in a haystack, so I went for it. The truck had all of the upgrades installed that I would have done myself, so I considered it a no-brainer.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Takes a few years to ramp up capacity. Go back to December '20 and count from there. I'm in the industry and we're dying, no real relief in sight unless we see a huge reduction in demand for fab capacity......

Is the using ramping up fab at a rate enough to not have to worry about oversea fab?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Im looking for a used f350 and I’m thinking the prices are going to start coming down if they get chips to the trucks parked in storage.
Also what are they going to do with all these 2021’s sitting without chips and 2022’s are due to come out soon?

I have been looking at trucks for 2 weeks Dam near 8hrs a day and prices are creeping down.

Big dollar trucks on str8uptoytrader aren’t moving like they were a few months ago.

Thoughts?
You probably have a year of pent up demand before things even start to normalize.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Is the using ramping up fab at a rate enough to not have to worry about oversea fab?

It’s just like Lumber. No reason to overdevelop fab capacity only to be screwed in another year or 2 when demand drops and catches supply.

These industry people read RDP and know in 18 months the world economy will fail.

Riverhound

Reaction score
Won't see any material changes in availability until Q1 2022.

I currently have hundreds of employees deployed at several automotive factories throughout N.A. harvesting, reinstalling, and flashing modules to keep production up and running. We also have storage facilities full and more filling daily with vehicles that will become "static" once the modules are harvested.

This isn't going away anytime soon.

D19

Reaction score
I don’t expect any changes in the foreseeable future. I was going to order a new Ram 3500, but between pricing and being unable to get a timeline on delivery, I ended up going used. The only price drops I’ve seen are on trucks that the owners priced out of the market, and have brought their asking price back to reality. The HD trucks- especially 3500s/350s have remained strong due to their lower availability compared to 2500s/250s.

I found the exact truck I wanted on Vroom, and jumped on it. I paid all the money- but I got all the money for my Tacoma on trade- so I consider it a wash. Will prices drop at some point? Sure. But I wasn’t willing to wait for 6-12-18 months to find out. And the truck I was looking for (3500 Mega SRW w/ Aisin trans) is like finding a needle in a haystack, so I went for it. The truck had all of the upgrades installed that I would have done myself, so I considered it a no-brainer.

Same here. I wanted something unique and could not find a new one with desired options anywhere and didn't not want to wait for a custom order. Found a used certified still under warranty that checked all boxes and it was priced reasonably so I bought it.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Are the SuperDuty's more affected by chip issues than the 150s? My dad is about to pull the trigger on an F150 tremor.

D19

Reaction score
Are the SuperDuty's more affected by chip issues than the 150s? My dad is about to pull the trigger on an F150 tremor.

I think it's everything. My relative works at Ford and says inventory is low on all models. When I bought my GMC they said they're having the same issue with chips.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
It’s just like Lumber. No reason to overdevelop fab capacity only to be screwed in another year or 2 when demand drops and catches supply.

These industry people read RDP and know in 18 months the world economy will fail.

DoD needs local production. It’s a national security issue besides consumer

Cdog

Reaction score
Factorories are being red taped and shut down in china as I type this due to new outbreaks. Shit is about to get real, again....

Ford has thousands of trucks sitting in Kentucky. It's crazy. Sure they were ordered but imagine having to front all that capital only to have an older model to sell once it has a chip. Could be another 6-12 months. I think the world is in for some hurt.....

pronstar

Reaction score
the chip deal is having a effect on consumer goods as well.

Yup, we’ve got teams of people scrambling to figure out supply chain issues. It’s definitely not just cars.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Nope not just cars.

We've got a backlog of orders waiting on chips that broke into 8 digits and we buy big...

We'll have some stuff trickle in by Q4 but we are all looking at another year.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Factorories are being red taped and shut down in china as I type this due to new outbreaks. Shit is about to get real, again....

Ford has thousands of trucks sitting in Kentucky. It's crazy. Sure they were ordered but imagine having to front all that capital only to have an older model to sell once it has a chip. Could be another 6-12 months. I think the world is in for some hurt.....
Do you have a link to that? That is news to me

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I guess I am at the bottom of the list I didn’t get that update yet lol

Cdog

Reaction score
I guess I am at the bottom of the list I didn’t get that update yet lol

It's a big country with regions that specialize in mfg. All I'm saying it appears another wave is staring again.

pronstar

Reaction score
yup, most people have no clue how deep this issue is and its effect on the economy and ability to keep things moving.

For sure.
Even if carmakers got chips, there’s no telling if their suppliers got them.

We have to do everything we can, because if our automaker clients can’t build cars because we can’t get chips for audio systems, then we’re up shit creek…

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Now we're paying the rest of the price for losing our manufacturing ability, and choosing to offshore.

We don't control our own destiny as a nation anymore.

When you've got problems you cant fix with money- you've got problems.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score

Thoughts?
I would think there is going to be some killer deals on New 2021 models when these finally make it onto dealer lots. Most dealers are going to want them gone pronto instead of paying flooring loans on hundreds of vehicles at once?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Now we're paying the rest of the price for losing our manufacturing ability, and choosing to offshore.

We don't control our own destiny as a nation anymore.

Money can fix the problems.. no one wants to light it on fire to fix a likely temporary problem.

When you've got problems you cant fix with money- you've got problems.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I would think there is going to be some killer deals on New 2021 models when these finally make it onto dealer lots. Most dealers are going to want them gone pronto instead of paying flooring loans on hundreds of vehicles at once?

I think there is so much demand that prices won’t be reduced much..

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I think there is so much demand that prices won’t be reduced much..
A lot has to do with how deep they get into the 2022 model year? New Models are usually hitting showroom floors in early fall. If the chip market gets flooded it’s going to be great news for truck buyers.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
A lot has to do with how deep they get into the 2022 model year? New Models are usually hitting showroom floors in early fall. If the chip market gets flooded it’s going to be great news for truck buyers.

The chip market is gonna be a trickle for awhile... all the foundaries are slammed. Just like with lumber, it will get cheaper as demand wanes.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
I'm just going to tell you that I went to Jamba Juice this morning and the only size cup they had was a small. You had to order a small and nothing else. It tooks them 20 minutes to make my small smoothie. The sign said it was a nationwide shortage of cups. You can draw your own conclusions to what this means but in general terms the whole fucking economy is just broken. The employees are a bunch of stupid zombies and I don't see any of this getting better soon.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Exactly. They can’t price 2021’s the same as 2022’s unless they have enough buyers lined up to buy all of them.
Of course it depends on the chip supply.

maybe Ford won’t have a 2022 model year.

Cdog

Reaction score
Production on the 2022’s starts 7/10 according to the forums.
Lots of talk of canceling un filled 2021 orders for a 22. 22 has the new dash with bigger screen option.

cofooter

Reaction score
It's a big country with regions that specialize in mfg. All I'm saying it appears another wave is staring again.
Look at SE Asia. Outbreaks in Thailand, Vietnam and especially Malaysia are worse than ever. Our factory in Malaysia shutdown two weeks ago. Now struggling to get back to 50% because all the other workers are either in quarantine, scared to come back, or not allowed to travel from rural areas to the factories to work. Its the nightmare all over again but worse. Worse than the start of Covid in March 2020. Can't help but beleive China is next.

Cdog

Reaction score
Look at SE Asia. Outbreaks in Thailand, Vietnam and especially Malaysia are worse than ever. Our factory in Malaysia shutdown two weeks ago. Now struggling to get back to 50% because all the other workers are either in quarantine, scared to come back, or not allowed to travel from rural areas to the factories to work. Its the nightmare all over again but worse. Worse than the start of Covid in March 2020. Can't help but beleive China is next.

Yeah last time China was able to hide it and down play it for a while. This time we know what to look for.

when millions of products get put on a “tough shit” list by the mfg in China and the products are for major national retailers you have to recognize that as something big.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Exactly. They can’t price 2021’s the same as 2022’s unless they have enough buyers lined up to buy all of them.
Of course it depends on the chip supply.

maybe Ford won’t have a 2022 model year.

Those trucks are already reserved/ purchased. They are not going to flood the marked with ‘22s before they purge the ‘21s

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Id still say it isnt that simple - the hole we've dug requires three components to dig out of

1. Political will to fix
2. Money
3. Time - with a capital T

You cannot cheat father time.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Id still say it isnt that simple - the hole we've dug requires three components to dig out of

1. Political will to fix
2. Money
3. Time - with a capital T

You cannot cheat father time.

Agreed. As of now there is 0 of 3. We might get to 2 of 3.

hawgty55

Reaction score
Dentist told me yesterday there electric toothbrushs are back ordered because of the "chip" hahah